Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Southampton 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 43631 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: LIVE: Southampton v Liverpool
      Reply #368: Mar 16, 2013 03:52:43 pm
      I was saying to my boy, get one before half time, and we'll win this

But how poor is Allen? Shoulder? Whatever

Brad Jones, I think he's the worst keeper I've ever seen for LFC, and yes, I'm aware there was nothing he could do about the free kick. He's all at sea and his distribution is shocking.

Johnson has been dire, at least as far as giving possession away, and so has Skrtel. Agger hasn't been brilliant either. Enrique has been the better of the four

Gerrard wasteful, trying to do too much again, but he's probably panicking in case Allen screws up.

Sturridge still looks a little unfit and Suarez has been frustrated all half. Some poor touches from Coutinho, but nice strike.

We're giving the ball away too easily, that's why we are under pressure so much. Sounds easy, but that's because it is. Stop giving the ball away

We miss Lucas breaking up the play

Spot on.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #369: Mar 16, 2013 03:53:03 pm
      We have an average joe on the field.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #370: Mar 16, 2013 03:53:34 pm
      He had nothing to do with the goals, and he kept us in the game with a few saves. Think your criticism of him is very harsh.

I disagree, I thought I was being quite reserved.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #371: Mar 16, 2013 03:53:55 pm
      Get Skrtel off , he's a liability .

I think Johnson is a bigger liability.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #372: Mar 16, 2013 03:54:04 pm
      Well, we're playing like a bunch of shithouses. That was a tough goal to concede for Southampton, who have been better than us in just about every department in that half. Coutinho's goal could be what changes this game though.

Our backline has been shocking. Skrtel is practically a liability and Johnson is having another bad game. He's been a bad stretch for a few games now. Agger still looks a little off to me. Enrique's been the best of the four, but like Glen, he needs to mark a bit tighter to block crosses coming in.

Midfield: Wide. Open. Allen has been poor today: Sloppy with the ball, not tackling, etc. Meanwhile Gerrard hasn't really been involved all that much. That's a dangerous combination because it's allowing Southampton to just stroll through an non-existent middle of the pitch.

Wingers: Other than the goal, Coutinho was invisible. Very erratic with the ball. Downing, on the other hand, looks afraid to shoot once again. His passing has been equally bad as well.

Strikers: When Suarez is having a stinker, we're pretty much fu**ed. So vital to any kind of success we have. Sturrige still looks a little off form to me as well.

As for changes, I think Lucas for Allen is the obvious one. But I don't know about any others. We've only got Wisdom on the bench in terms of defenders. Ugh.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #373: Mar 16, 2013 03:54:42 pm
      Well that's been pretty painful to watch. Our passing is dreadful, defence is once again ropey against set pieces. Bring Lucas on for Allen and get some bite back in midfield. Linesman is dreadful as well.
      ozziboi7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #374: Mar 16, 2013 03:54:54 pm
      I'm positive, but only because of our form in front of goal recently. Could very easily see us conceding another goal though.

Quite simply, whoever gets the fourth goal of the game wins this, it better be us!
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #375: Mar 16, 2013 03:55:49 pm
      Surely Allen off for lucas or henderson.

someone has BR's cell phone number?  would fancy over 1 mil txt messages telling him to take allen off.  we have no control of the midfield

We don't have any control in midefield BECAUSE it's a 2 man midfield. IT ISN'T JUST BECAUSE IT'S ALLEN THERE. Watch the game you people. Lucas would have struggled just as much. We're getting over run in there, haven't dealt with their pressing or with the number of runners they have been sending. Funnily, we got better in the last 7-8 mins BECAUSE Rodgers switched Suarez with Coutinho which means we have got a bit more workrate and an EXTRA body in midfield.

We never should have started with a 2 man midfield. We did that against Spurs last weekend and had to change it and the same will happen today. We should have played Lucas AND Allen (or my preference would have been for Henderson)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8612 
      Reply #376: Mar 16, 2013 03:56:19 pm
      Brad Jones, I think he's the worst keeper I've ever seen for LFC, and yes, I'm aware there was nothing he could do about the free kick. He's all at sea and his distribution is shocking.

Reminds me of Mike Hooper from way back when, just not good enough!

Good little finish from Coutinho, but that is as bad a performance as West Brom at the start of the season, except we've got 11 men today.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #377: Mar 16, 2013 03:56:21 pm
      I think Johnson is a bigger liability.
      he's bad aswell , but i think Skrtel is unsettling the defence .
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #378: Mar 16, 2013 03:57:13 pm
      As for changes, I think Lucas for Allen is the obvious one. But I don't know about any others. We've only got Wisdom on the bench in terms of defenders. Ugh.

I'd do that sub and it would probably help the defenders out to be honest - see how it goes.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      Reply #379: Mar 16, 2013 03:57:49 pm
      I'm relying on this budding tough mentality we are starting to show

Still think we'll win this, but we need to pull our finger out
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #380: Mar 16, 2013 03:58:00 pm
      We're giving the ball away too easily, that's why we are under pressure so much. Sounds easy, but that's because it is. Stop giving the ball away

We're giving it away because of the pressure they are putting us under. Get a genuine 3 man midfield in there an we'll be alright.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #381: Mar 16, 2013 03:58:00 pm
      We don't have any control in midefield BECAUSE it's a 2 man midfield. IT ISN'T JUST BECAUSE IT'S ALLEN THERE. Watch the game you people. Lucas would have struggled just as much. We're getting over run in there, haven't dealt with their pressing or with the number of runners they have been sending. Funnily, we got better in the last 7-8 mins BECAUSE Rodgers switched Suarez with Coutinho which means we have got a bit more workrate and an EXTRA body in midfield.

We never should have started with a 2 man midfield. We did that against Spurs last weekend and had to change it and the same will happen today. We should have played Lucas AND Allen (or my preference would have been for Henderson)

Completely disagree with the "Lucas would have struggled just as much" part.

Allen hasn't been tracking the runners whatsoever, and one of the key traits that Lucas brings us is relentless pressing and pursuing of midfield runners. His tackle and interception rates back this up.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #382: Mar 16, 2013 03:58:09 pm

Good little finish from Coutinho, but that is as bad a performance as West Brom at the start of the season, except we've got 11 men today.

He's definitely the worst keeper in the Premier League right now. Not that he's any worse than any other player on the field right now, shocking performance.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #383: Mar 16, 2013 03:58:15 pm
      I disagree, I thought I was being quite reserved.
      I agree with Rush I think Jones has been poor once again although not at fault for the second goal. he seems incapable of actually catching the ball ever. He always either drops it or knocks it anywhere. He is also frustratingly slow at distributing the ball.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #384: Mar 16, 2013 03:58:29 pm

And a goal.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #385: Mar 16, 2013 03:58:38 pm
      We're making a bad team look good and that's the story of our season so far .
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #386: Mar 16, 2013 03:59:24 pm
      We're making a bad team look good and that's the story of our season so far .

Is it?

Last I checked, we were hammering all the "bad" teams.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      Reply #387: Mar 16, 2013 03:59:37 pm
      We're giving it away because of the pressure they are putting us under. Get a genuine 3 man midfield in there an we'll be alright.
      We're giving the ball away everywhere mate. Goalkeeper, defence, midfield and up front
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #388: Mar 16, 2013 03:59:46 pm
      Merely bringing Lucas on for Allen is not going to stop the problem. They have runners from all angles and our midfield is being flooded. We need an extra body in there too. At the moment Sturridge is doing nothing because he cannot get the ball. There is no point him being on the pitch unless we can compete in midfield.

It isn't his fault but we'd be much better off with another midfielder in there at the expense of a forward. We still have more than enough quality on the pitch to hurt Southampton. We just have to compete in midfield to have a platform to create chances.

Also Southampton might blow themselves out here and chances could come late on.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #389: Mar 16, 2013 03:59:56 pm
      he's bad aswell , but i think Skrtel is unsettling the defence .

Ok, both are equally bad in their own ways.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #390: Mar 16, 2013 04:00:02 pm
      We're inviting that pressure on , boxing ourselves in too much .

Quick Reply