Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Pre-match: Aston Villa v Liverpool | 31 Mar 2013 13:30

Read 4481 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Pre-match: Aston Villa v Liverpool | 31 Mar 2013 13:30
      Mar 27, 2013 05:43:08 pm

Aston Villa v Liverpool
      31 Mar 2013, 13:30
      Villa Park

With the international break over, Liverpool hope to rebound from a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Southampton two weekends ago when they travel to Villa Park on Sunday.

In the reverse fixture at Anfield, Aston Villa came away with a shock 3-1 victory of their own back in December, using their size to easily beat Liverpool's backline through the air. The Reds have since bolstered their ranks in the January market with the arrivals of attackers Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho.

Liverpool - not yet mathematically eliminated from qualifying for a Champions League place - were in a good run of form before succumbing to the Saints in the previous fixture. The Reds currently sit in 7th place on 45 points with just 8 fixtures remaining.

Meanwhile, things at Villa Park have been a bit tricky for Paul Lambert. The Villans sit just above the relegation zone in 17th place - 3 points ahead of Wigan.

Two bright spots for Villa this season have been striker Christian Benteke and goalkeeper Brad Guzan. Benteke has found the back of the net 13 times - included two at Anfield - in his first season in English football, while Guzan is fresh off two clean sheets with the United States in World Cup Qualifying this past week.

On the injury front, both Jamie Carragher and Pepe Reina - absent in the defeat at Southampton - are expected back for Liverpool, according to first team coach Mike Marsh. Joe Allen will miss the remainder of the season following surgery on his shoulder.

----

Wasn't a thread for this, so here it is.
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2013 09:53:15 pm by RedPuppy »
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Re: Pre-match: Aston Villa v Liverpool | 31 Mar 2013 13:30
      Reply #1: Mar 27, 2013 06:12:34 pm
      Another game that if we win, 4th is back on, if we lose the Mayan prophecy will come true and the world will end. I have paid £85 for a ticket so we better F***ing turn up and show our best, either way I am going to sing my heart out and get leathered.

COYR
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Mar 27, 2013 06:37:37 pm
       We owe Villa a good hiding after that Anfield debacle,it is time to get back to winning ways.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #3: Mar 27, 2013 07:41:56 pm
      6-1 Liverpool.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Mar 27, 2013 08:21:05 pm
      Looking forward to this game but might end up missing it as my daughter's moving house this weekend and no doubt I'll be called in to help out  :roll:

I'm expecting a win for the Reds as always, don't care how we achieve it but 3 points is a must.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #5: Mar 27, 2013 09:25:05 pm
      Cant see saurez playing due to jet lag,beware of villa they could produce a shock result. Look at the last game against the saints, we have to get attacking right away and get a quick couple of goals.Pick reds to win 2-1 though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #6: Mar 27, 2013 11:25:31 pm
      Cant see saurez playing due to jet lag

You are joking right? I can't imagine there's anything barring a serious injury that keeps Luis from playing.

I'm calling for 2 goals from our main man.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #7: Mar 27, 2013 11:37:02 pm
      Did he not come from playing in high altitude in Bolivia midweek to play the full game at the weekend for us earlier in the season? He's in top condition, won't bother him at all.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #8: Mar 28, 2013 03:54:31 am
      Another away game against another relegation threatened team. Just hope Brendan have learned from the Southampton debacle and think hard how to handle Villa. Villa will play like their lives are at stake cause their PL future is hanging in the balance. I think we need to match Villa's desire first and foremost to begin the chance of winning this game. Come On Liverpool!
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 28, 2013 05:54:30 am
      Another game i am not confident at all. I really fear it will be Bentekke show.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Mar 28, 2013 06:13:59 am
      Can't call this one, cause we're consistently very inconsistent.  :roll:

We should collect the 3 points IF, everyone turns up to put in a proper and decent shift.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11: Mar 28, 2013 06:52:31 am
      Cant see saurez playing due to jet lag

Have you been living under a rock for the last few years?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12: Mar 28, 2013 10:46:10 am
                                         Reina
      Johnson       Carragher        Agger     Enrique
                       Lucas            Gerrard        Henderson
                      Coutinho       Sturridge      Suarez
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Mar 28, 2013 12:18:45 pm
      MUST have Reina Carrahger and Agger together for this to get the win. Bentekke would bully Skrtel yet again and give away silly free-kicks. I think Sturridge owes us a big game he has been missing the last couple of games and need to have lucas henderson and gerrard as our 3 midfielders. Johnson also had a poor game at Southampton but didnt they all but he was also bad for England mid-week. Just hope we can bounce back like we have done from a shock defeat. Come on you REDS!!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #14: Mar 28, 2013 12:33:10 pm
      Reina; Johnson, Carra, Agger, Enrique; Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson; Downing, Suarez, Coutinho.

F**k knows which Liverpool team will turn up though!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Mar 28, 2013 12:34:33 pm
      What I'd like to see.
      Sometimes we are found wanting in the centre.
      I'd like to see Henderson brought in, similar to the floating mid/att role he played before Coutinho took the place.
      Would offer us more in midfield. If we don't get an early goal we often get pressed back and Lucas and Gerrard
      own their own gets overrun. Henderson, not in a 10 but the floating mid/att role, would help to that end.

Might look something like that.
      I think that sometimes when we set up with this 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3 that we have played lately, with Suarez almost like a 10, that we have left Lucas and Gerrard with too much to do.
      « Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013 12:48:37 pm by racerx34 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #16: Mar 28, 2013 06:51:06 pm
      I like the look of that Racer and the thing about Suarez is that you can play him anywhere in an attacking role and he will be effective but he never gives the protection Jordan would give in your formation.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #17: Mar 28, 2013 07:34:21 pm
                        Reina
            Carragher       Agger
      Johnson                      Enrique
                        Lucas
           Henderson     Gerrard
                      Coutinho
               Sturridge    Suarez.

Let this attacking trio interchange between them and they will cause havoc to their defence.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #18: Mar 28, 2013 07:48:12 pm
      Going to be a tough game at Villa Park this weekend, after the fiasco at Southampton, I hope we start playing from the first whistle not when we're a goal or two down  :roll:

Think we'll nab it by 2 goals to 1, want to see some passion from the lads when they pull on that black away kit on Sunday, hopefully the lads who have been involved with international duty this week are all back and injury free.
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #19: Mar 28, 2013 08:47:21 pm
      Match: Aston Villa v Liverpool

Date: 31th March 2013

Time: 13:30

Competition: Premier League

Form: Aston Villa - WWLLW    Liverpool - LWWWL

Last Meeting: Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa

Both teams and managers have young squads, are going through transitional periods and won't be happy with the season overall so far. Aston Villa would have been wanting a season safe from a dog fight at the bottom but the inexperience of the squad and a reliance on one player means they sit just above the drop zone in 17th just 3 points above the drop zone but did hit some form ahead of the International break. They won two relegation six pointers against Reading and QPR but this game will be a lot bigger of a test. The key to winning is as always, Benteke. Carragher might be able to keep hold of him for this game and he should be starting but if Skrtel is in defence again, there could be an opportunity for Villa. Of course, the likes of Johnson had a poor game against Southampton and his confidence might be down after England's draw against Montenegro. There are areas Villa can target but their defence could be suspect up against Suarez, Sturridge, Downing and Coutinho. They should be looking for 3 points though.

Liverpool probably didn't want an international break after the defeat against Southampton. The match was a blow after 3 straight wins. I don't expect a line-up any different to: Reina, Johnson, Carra, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Coutinho, Downing, Suarez and Sturridge. Seems to be the best line-up at the moment and hopefully there can be some momentum until the end of the season. I think European Football and a good run in it next season is a must to keep hold of Suarez. I wouldn't blame him if he left, it just seems they're aren't many player out there like him, I think he'll stay for another season though. The goal now is 6th, which I think gets Europa League football. But it's best to try finish as high in the table as possible, the rest of the games this season are winnable but the LFC of recent years will make hard work of it, as usual. Let's just hope we can get 6th at least.

Tough game to call but I think LFC should win it. Although a draw seems likely.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #20: Mar 28, 2013 09:00:19 pm
      We should win.... but depends if we decide to show up or not
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #21: Mar 28, 2013 11:13:58 pm
      Probably liverpool will be flat if villa score first,games after  international breaks generally see a form dip.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #22: Mar 29, 2013 09:18:24 am
      After feeling very confident we would get a win over Southampton, I am not so sure about this one.
      I don't think we will lose, but I do think a draw is a strong possibility.
      Hopefully I am wrong and we bounce back in style!
      Just glad the International break is over. I hate them.

Quick Reply