Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Should we have let them go?

Read 4787 times
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Should we have let them go?
      Apr 06, 2013 11:32:52 am
      After watching this weeks Champions League games I couldn't help notice there were a few past players still plying there trade at the highest standard in the world.

Riera
      Alonso
      Arbeloa
      Baros
      Mascherano
      Anelka
      Kuyt (Europa)
      I've probably missed someone but my point is these boys are all playing at the top level and have been since leaving, Is there any of these we maybe should have given another season (Bar Anelka)
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2013 04:31:22 pm by RedPuppy »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: should we have let them go?
      Reply #1: Apr 06, 2013 11:48:08 am
      Alonso - the rest wanted to F**k off or didn't deserve to be here. The Alonso situation was probably avoidable.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2: Apr 06, 2013 11:55:02 am
      To add to your list:

Torres
      Meireles

Riera wasn't producing the goods so not upset that he left.
      Kuyt couldn't be guaranteed first team football regularly so he felt that he needed to leave whilst he could still offer something to a team.
      Alonso was practically forced out of the door when Benitez tried selling him without his knowledge to replace him with Gareth Barry of all people.
      Mascherano left because we were in the process of selling some of our best players and Barcelona came knocking. He would have been unsettled if we did keep him.
      Baros never was a great striker so not fussed that he left.

Being honest I don't think there is much we could have done to keep any of the players that were actually important to us.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3: Apr 06, 2013 12:41:07 pm
      Riera the great winger turned left back. I think he could've even made me look like a world class player had I been playing against him the other night.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #4: Apr 06, 2013 02:05:14 pm
      Contracts aren't worth sh*t these days (and the whole contract system should probably be scrapped) because most of the players on your list, Alonso being the exception, wanted to leave and when a player wants to leave, regardless of how long is on their contract, they're allowed to leave.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,623 posts | 3854 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Apr 06, 2013 02:09:07 pm
      After watching this weeks champions league games i couldnt help notice there were a few past players still plying there trade at the highest standard in the word

Riera
      Alonso
      Arbeloa
      Baros
      Mascherano
      Anelka
      Kuyt(europa)
      Ive probably missed someone but my point is these boys are all playing at the top level and have been since leaving, Is there any of these we maybe should have given another season (Bar Anelka)

We didn't let them go.
      We got plenty of money for most of them.

Replacing them with average players was the bigger issue.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Should we have let them go?
      Reply #6: Apr 06, 2013 07:17:41 pm
      We didn't let them go.
      We got plenty of money for most of them.

Replacing them with average players was the bigger issue.

Bang On Racer.

Rafa games with Alonso ....... backfired.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #7: Apr 06, 2013 07:20:58 pm
      The only one we should have kept, the only one we could have kept, the only one we would have back - Xabi.

What a F***ing disgrace that whole episode was. 2nd in the league playing brilliant and then it all goes to sh*te.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #8: Apr 06, 2013 07:40:30 pm
      The only one we should have kept, the only one we could have kept, the only one we would have back - Xabi.

What a f**king disgrace that whole episode was. 2nd in the league playing brilliant and then it all goes to sh*te.

I'd have Masch back, too.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: Apr 06, 2013 08:11:48 pm
      With hindsight, you could say we let Friedel go to soon as well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,325 posts | 8602 
      Reply #10: Apr 06, 2013 10:00:36 pm
      Alonso was practically forced out of the door when Benitez tried selling him without his knowledge to replace him with Gareth Barry of all people.

Bullshit, still handed in a transfer request, therefore wanted to leave.

We all know the real story anyway, he had to be sold to sort the F***ing banks out, so F**k off with that Rafa/Barry sh*te!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Apr 06, 2013 10:10:13 pm
      Of those players listed, I would take back Mascherano, Alonso and Kuyt. Dirk would probably have to be content with coming of the bench, but he would still be an asset to the squad.
      It wasn't really a case of letting them go, can't really stop a player from leaving.
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #12: Apr 06, 2013 10:18:27 pm
      Two players I miss is Alonso and Garcia ..I would also take back Mascherano
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,325 posts | 8602 
      Reply #13: Apr 06, 2013 11:17:55 pm
      I would also take back Mascherano

The type of player we're missing from the team at the minute.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #14: Apr 07, 2013 08:20:17 am
      We all know the real story anyway, he had to be sold to sort the f**king banks out, so f**k off with that Rafa/Barry sh*te!

Thought Rafa said otherwise in his book though Huyt. Sure he said something along the lines of because of the lack of money available he had to look at moving out a prized asset (Alonso £30 mil - who had just had a sh*te season) in order to buy Barry and a right winger. Therefore one out and two in, a replacement, sh*te one at that, and a position filled that we had been crying out for.

Might be wrong but sure that's what he said, me Dad's got my book though so can't look.
      Travelling Red
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #15: Apr 07, 2013 09:53:18 am
      Definately miss Masch, and although Alonso is still a great player,  he doesn't  fit into the FSG  trend of young long term players with sell on value, so I doubt we'll see him make a return unfortunately. 
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #16: Apr 07, 2013 10:01:56 am
      Alonso for sure... Quality and can still do a job. Masch would be a great player to have here still and had those two stayed then we would be a lot better off... Arbeloa seems to be a good player, but was not overly impressed when he was here. Perhaps not cut out for the Prem..?

The rest, not really fussed about, in fact I actually think we are better off without (Kuyt aside) them all...

Forget about the Rafa / Alonso situation - fact is he was let go by everyone and treated like a mug by the club - should never have let him go and should still be here.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #17: Apr 07, 2013 10:36:01 am
      Thought Rafa said otherwise in his book though Huyt. Sure he said something along the lines of because of the lack of money available he had to look at moving out a prized asset (Alonso £30 mil - who had just had a sh*te season) in order to buy Barry and a right winger. Therefore one out and two in, a replacement, sh*te one at that, and a position filled that we had been crying out for.

Might be wrong but sure that's what he said, me Dad's got my book though so can't look.

It's also what he said when asked about it at his talk in Dublin.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #18: Apr 07, 2013 11:02:13 am
      Something that always got to me was Arbeloa... Not that he was a great player and we won't go into the Johnson price debate again, but the fee we got for him.

The lad is as good as a regular in that Real Madrid side and we took 3.5 mil from them at the same time they were shamelessly throwing cash around for Ronaldo, Kaka, Xabi etc. We were taken for complete mugs to be honest.

As for the list of players mentioned above, Xabi and Kuyt are the two I've always regretted, but I think there's more sentimentality in that.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,410 posts | 2829 
      Reply #19: Apr 07, 2013 11:09:25 am
      Arbeloa without a doubt. He was so underrated by our fans - ten times the player Glen Johnson will ever be. We lost about 15m over those two deals. Money that could have replaced Xabi better.

Xabi and Masch are the other two standouts from the list but we all know that banks needed repaying!

Even though I didn't rate Meireles, after seeing our midfield last season, maybe we could have kept him on for another season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #20: Apr 07, 2013 03:41:26 pm
      Anelka might be the biggest one on the list actually. I mean, look at it this way: He was immense when he came here on loan, helped up push up to second. But then Houiller opted for that wonderful human being El Hadji Diouf.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,325 posts | 8602 
      Reply #21: Apr 07, 2013 11:40:32 pm

So where did the transfer money from the Alonso go?

Anyway heard a few whispers today he could be on his way back :)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #22: Apr 08, 2013 10:54:06 am
      So where did the transfer money from the Alonso go?

Yeah well what he wanted and what he got were two different things ay?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,457 posts | 3429 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #23: Apr 08, 2013 10:58:21 am
      Bullshit, still handed in a transfer request, therefore wanted to leave.

We all know the real story anyway, he had to be sold to sort the f**king banks out, so f**k off with that Rafa/Barry sh*te!
      Good to see the same old bollocks being peddled again.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Apr 08, 2013 11:13:09 am
      Think BR should of done more to keep Dirk Kuyt i miss him soo much one of my favorite foreign liverpool players in my time pure effort, heart and give everything every game.

I wish he stayed for one more season that experience could of got us another few points this season no doubt scores crucial goals at crucial times like for Fenerbache in mid week!

Alonso speaks for itself blame Rafa for that Alonso loves Liverpool the same as Kuyt!

The rest dont give a sh*t about Mascherano was immense at Liverpool but did the dorts on us! Arbeloa i liked too soo underated and i rated him at Liverpool before he came good!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #25: Apr 08, 2013 03:03:20 pm
      Think BR should of done more to keep Dirk Kuyt i miss him soo much one of my favorite foreign liverpool players in my time pure effort, heart and give everything every game.

Wasn't Dirk pretty much out the door just as Brendan was being hired? Definitely miss Kuyt.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #26: Apr 08, 2013 03:11:04 pm
      Wasn't Dirk pretty much out the door just as Brendan was being hired? Definitely miss Kuyt.

Yea apparently so because he didnt get much playing time under Kenny mostly as sub! Either way think BR should of done but dont know what happended behind closed doors probably did try!
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #27: Apr 08, 2013 03:20:36 pm
      Anelka might be the biggest one on the list actually. I mean, look at it this way: He was immense when he came here on loan, helped up push up to second. But then Houiller opted for that wonderful human being El Hadji Diouf.
      I'll second that.

Anelka was happy here and all set to stay before Houllier decided Diouf was the 'better' player  :mad:

Quick Reply