Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Liverpool 0-0 West Ham United: In-game & post-match irascibility

Read 31518 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 West Ham United: In-game & post-match irascibility
      Reply #414: Apr 07, 2013 03:42:52 pm
      We are improving - we'd have lost that game a few months ago :D

I'm only half serious, I think

In a way yeah, we probably would have lost the game earlier in the season or last year. Baby steps :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #415: Apr 07, 2013 03:43:41 pm
      When our player just outside the box while those inside the box looking in the direction of out goal suggests that we're in a dire need of a first class attacking coaches. We have very good attacking players in Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge. if we could get a world xlass attacking coach in we'll be very very very diffficult to handle in the box.

As the commentator and Steve Mcmahon said we had one too many touches on the ball during the most crucial moments in attack, who's to argue with Steve.

Think it was more of a case of slowing down in that final third than anything. So many times we swept by the West Ham midfield with ease and then when we found ourselves approaching their penalty box we came to an instant halt providing them with so much time to defensively organise themselves.

And I've got to be honest, McMahon has got to learn to shut the f**k up when he's commentating. Far too much twittering on about what EVERYONE has just seen and doesn't need a god damn analyst to point out what we just saw. 'Again poor touch there by Coutinho....again sloppy pass there from Henderson...'

It just grates and is demoralising to listen to. How people get paid for spouting that week in week out is beyond me.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,775 posts | 889 
      Reply #416: Apr 07, 2013 03:46:24 pm
      Guys, I'll give you a little while to reflect on what you have said and realise that you do agree. Typically what will happen is one of the forum greats will come along and say the same thing, and then you will agree.

I guess mentioning the wretched name of Andy Carroll got you carried away, but the point is clear, and the point has been made by numerous posters on numerous occasions. We so often lack the attacking cutting edge, and the simple passing doesn't make the breakthrough. When the opposing team park's the bus and is prepared to go in heavy, we tend to draw or lose. Certainly, we find it difficult to score.

At times like these, we need to make a change. We need a plan B, and there doesn't appear to be one. A big man up front gives us another attacking edge. When the passing doesn't work, a simple cross into the box should be considered, and Carroll just happens to be good at scoring those opportunities. It became blatantly obvious that we weren't going to score today, and had we still been playing now, we would still have failed.

West Ham on the other hand came closest with a cross from the corner. So think about it again. You don't like Carroll, but today, we would have benefited from being able to throw him on.

Like I say, I'll give you a break now, and wait for someone else to make the same point - which will then be agreed with, so long as Carroll's name is not mentioned. If you don't believe me, I can go back and quote you comments that have already been made in this thread.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #417: Apr 07, 2013 03:46:32 pm
      I can live with the result. It was a dominant performance where too many were off their game in the final 3rd. Give Gerrard and Suarez some of those opportunities again in the next game and you'd back them to put a few away. Credit to West Ham, they were very organised and their fitness levels were VERY impressive. Hats off to them.

People can bang on about 'story of our seaso' and all that but the truth is we're paying for a very poor start to the season and the pressure ever since to perform in every game take sit's toll on fans in these threads.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #418: Apr 07, 2013 03:48:46 pm
      If you don't believe me, I can go back and quote you comments that have already been made in this thread.

the thing is that if somebody else agree's with you that doesnt mean you are right tho. it mean you both are wrong :D
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #419: Apr 07, 2013 03:49:25 pm
      At times like these, we need to make a change. We need a plan B, and there doesn't appear to be one.

Again, I'll ask you, do any of the other 'top' teams have this big man plan b that you say is so crucial? I'm not sure they do. City might throw on a Dzeko but he's a far cry from big Andy Carroll. Most of the top sides simply switch like for like.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #420: Apr 07, 2013 03:50:57 pm
      Carrol back as a last resort option wouldn't be that bad IMO (imagining we can't sell him for a good price, which is likely, and he can stay most time on the bench without becoming even worse, which is not).
      We clearly lack a tall man option in attack.

Anyway...

I'm not that disappointed by the performance globally (even Suarez who had a really poor game for his standard could have scored in two occasions would opponent gk be a little slower). The worrying thing is when our plan doesn't work, it seems we don't have any joker able to change a game (Assaidi definitively doesn't look like one, and youngsters like Suso or Sterling didn't worked either in those kinds of situations), and no way to change our tactic either.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #421: Apr 07, 2013 03:54:04 pm
      Think it was more of a case of slowing down in that final third than anything. So many times we swept by the West Ham midfield with ease and then when we found ourselves approaching their penalty box we came to an instant halt providing them with so much time to defensively organise themselves.

And I've got to be honest, McMahon has got to learn to shut the f**k up when he's commentating. Far too much twittering on about what EVERYONE has just seen and doesn't need a god damn analyst to point out what we just saw. 'Again poor touch there by Coutinho....again sloppy pass there from Henderson...'

It just grates and is demoralising to listen to. How people get paid for spouting that week in week out is beyond me.

Not so much of slowing down at the final third, more of not knowing what to do with the ball at the most crucial moment that caused the slowing down. Finallly, just whip the ball into the box or over passing the ball and hope for the best.

Ok, McMahon said the obvious at times but I have to admit that he got it spot on most of his observations while he can't be saying we've been playing very well when we don't.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #422: Apr 07, 2013 03:56:38 pm
      Guys, I'll give you a little while to reflect on what you have said and realise that you do agree. Typically what will happen is one of the forum greats will come along and say the same thing, and then you will agree.

Like I say, I'll give you a break now, and wait for someone else to make the same point - which will then be agreed with, so long as Carroll's name is not mentioned. If you don't believe me, I can go back and quote you comments that have already been made in this thread.
      Inferiority complex? Someone urinate on your cornflakes this morning? :D

Just asking like, because you said some weird stuff up there.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #423: Apr 07, 2013 03:58:05 pm

I guess mentioning the wretched name of Andy Carroll got you carried away, but the point is clear, and the point has been made by numerous posters on numerous occasions. We so often lack the attacking cutting edge, and the simple passing doesn't make the breakthrough. When the opposing team park's the bus and is prepared to go in heavy, we tend to draw or lose. Certainly, we find it difficult to score.

At times like these, we need to make a change. We need a plan B, and there doesn't appear to be one. A big man up front gives us another attacking edge. When the passing doesn't work, a simple cross into the box should be considered, and Carroll just happens to be good at scoring those opportunities. It became blatantly obvious that we weren't going to score today, and had we still been playing now, we would still have failed.

West Ham on the other hand came closest with a cross from the corner. So think about it again. You don't like Carroll, but today, we would have benefited from being able to throw him on.

Never known somebody to talk so much sh*t in my life - one of the forum greats will come along and we will agree? Get a grip of yourself ffs! Throwing your dummy out because not many people agree with you! The fact is we didn't draw today because we didn't have Carroll, we drew because 7-8 of our players had shocking games and kept wasting opportunities in the box. Carroll offers nothing inside the box that would have helped us today, whenever he plays for Liverpool he likes to sit deep and stay deep instead of racing into the box and getting his head onto the ball.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #424: Apr 07, 2013 04:00:11 pm
      Least Spuds equalised against the bitters and ya never know we might have even gained a point on Chelsea so long as Sunderland can hold their lead at Chelsea. Still got the botters and chavs to come at Anfield.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #425: Apr 07, 2013 04:01:08 pm
      Carrol back as a last resort option wouldn't be that bad IMO (imagining we can't sell him for a good price, which is likely, and he can stay most time on the bench without becoming even worse, which is not).
      We clearly lack a tall man option in attack.

Anyway...

I'm not that disappointed by the performance globally (even Suarez who had a really poor game for his standard could have scored in two occasions would opponent gk be a little slower). The worrying thing is when our plan doesn't work, it seems we don't have any joker able to change a game (Assaidi definitively doesn't look like one, and youngsters like Suso or Sterling didn't worked either in those kinds of situations), and no way to change our tactic either.

So basically you have said there that you would like Carroll back as a last chance saloon in games even though he is sh*t and he can sit on the bench without getting even more sh*t? Think before you talk because you sound an idiot there!
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #426: Apr 07, 2013 04:05:10 pm
      So basically you have said there that you would like Carroll back as a last chance saloon in games even though he is sh*t and he can sit on the bench without getting even more sh*t? Think before you talk because you sound an idiot there!

You have missed the word "imagining".

ps : also I never said Carrol is sh*t (don't put your words in my mouth). He is an average physical forward for me (not top 6 regular starter standard, but good enough to serve in a squad like ours)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #427: Apr 07, 2013 04:07:17 pm
      sh*t house.

I don't understand how one week we're playing brilliant, the next we get a win playing sh*t and just when you think we can kick on we always, ALWAYS, produce a performance like this that makes us look like the average mid table side we have been for a couple seasons. It's not good enough.

Suarez played like piss and his team mates were loathing him at times. That's not healthy.

Johnson....just leave.

Lucas doesn't have his touch.

Sturridge looked laboured. Very slow in his decisions.

Thought Jose, Danny and Coutinho were our best.
      sonuxs
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 332 posts |
      Reply #428: Apr 07, 2013 04:10:32 pm
      Do you lot agree with me if I say, It would be alright not to be in Europa League next season so we can fully work on Top 4 next year ? Yes that means we may finish below the bitters.... As much as that is going to deflate our confidence at Merseyside...My train of thought is based on the table in front of us.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #429: Apr 07, 2013 04:13:55 pm
      A big man up front gives us another attacking edge.

We had a big man, but he didn't give us an attacking edge, barring MAYBE 3 games.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #430: Apr 07, 2013 04:15:36 pm
      Do you lot agree with me if I say, It would be alright not to be in Europa League next season so we can fully work on Top 4 next year ? Yes that means we may finish below the bitters.... As much as that is going to deflate our confidence at Merseyside...My train of thought is based on the table in front of us.

I'd take not being in it if it meant we would get CL next season yes but at the moment I'm not convinced with or without Europa League we'll be anywhere near CL football next year because these performances are all too regular and all too expected these days and unfortunately that's what is keeping us out of those positions.

Trying to suggest we didn't play that badly today is a bit of a joke also, our players were bloody dreadful, if that isn't playing that badly just because we didn't lose then I'd hate to see us play bad. West Ham came with a plan of don't let us score and forget about the rest, they nearly scored on a few occasions even with that plan and we honestly really didn't look a proper threat the whole game. Odd chances here or there are not a consistent threat that we need to be to re-establish ourselves back in the top 4.

Lots of work to do on this first XI let alone the 'group' before we get back where we belong and that's the sobering truth of 'not bad' performances like this.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #431: Apr 07, 2013 04:19:08 pm
      Not being in the Europa is one less trophy to aim for.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #432: Apr 07, 2013 04:26:37 pm
      Not being in the Europa is one less trophy to aim for.
      Is right, and also gives some of the lads, the experience for the CL the following season!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,018 posts | 3955 
      Reply #433: Apr 07, 2013 04:26:59 pm
      We had a big man, but he didn't give us an attacking edge, barring MAYBE 3 games.

He was an option.
      We no longer have that option.
      Exactly why do we not have that Ā£35m option?
      I think our owners could throw more light on that subject than the manger who is credited with some obscure statement about Andy Carroll not fittng in with long term plans.
      If the long term plan involves toothless, no goal performances such as this another review of the drawing board is needed.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool V West Ham United
      Reply #434: Apr 07, 2013 04:28:32 pm
      No one is saying he wasn't poor!! But to call him pathetic as you did is way off the mark.
      Do you expect him to turn it on week in week out? He is entitled to have off games.
      There is only one retard here you cock and that's yourself
      Now go and get your colouring book and crayons.

Says some dicko who fails to grow up.. Look up the dictionary and you'll find a synonym called woeful, which he was "TODAY". Now, stop trying to be wise which you are not and get mommy's help to finish your homework
      amphetamanda
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #435: Apr 07, 2013 04:33:49 pm
      It wasnā€™t the result anyone wanted, but I think itā€™s a bit hasty to say the team looked poor, or that the match represents the same problems theyā€™ve had all season. I thought they were moving the ball around fairly well, and certainly keeping possession well, but the biggest influences on the scoreline were West Hamā€™s defense-- credit where itā€™s due, they were pretty tight, and Collins, in particular, played well, had Suarezā€™s number, and it hurt-- and Suarezā€™s poor form (which may be in part due to the aforementioned Collins). When Suarez is great, heā€™s THE greatest; when heā€™s off, like he was for most of today (and as in his past couple games, including those with Uruguay), heā€™s just immensely frustrating. I thought the rest of the team was feeding him well enough, at least prior to Hendersonā€™s removal, and itā€™s silly to ever put all the blame for any result on one player, but it seemed like play after play fell apart due to an awful touch or misplaced pass or overly ambitious move from Suarez.

The problem Rodgers had today wasn't just finding a ā€œplan B,ā€ (because again, I donā€™t think the team was fundamentally doing a bad job of implementing the ā€œplan Aā€ style of play), but figuring out what to do when his best player is squandering every opportunity the team creates for him (which is maybe what is meant by plan B?). If wasnā€™t Suarez playing as center forward, thereā€™d be no questioning the decision to replace the player in that position for a poor performance. Is Suarez so infallible, and so good, that heā€™s immune to the same approach we, as fans, or the manager, would take to almost every other player? We donā€™t have a ton of options up front, but maybe it wouldā€™ve been better to replace Suarez with Assaidi, rather than Henderson, and move Sturridge up top. Of course, Suarez wouldnā€™t have reacted well to that, and heā€™s also the type of player who would recognize his own errors, and want to improve upon them, so perhaps Rodgers felt he had to give Suarez chances to make up for his mistakes, or maybe he feels Suarez still offers more on a bad day than the rest of team does without him on a good day. Is it worth it to protect a key playerā€™s ego or attitude towards the team, at the expense of the potential match outcome?

I wasnā€™t too disappointed with anyone else, and thought a few players-- Agger, Reina, Henderson, Enrique-- looked particularly sharp, but maybe my standards have fallen.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #436: Apr 07, 2013 04:48:16 pm
      sh*t house.

I don't understand how one week we're playing brilliant, the next we get a win playing sh*t and just when you think we can kick on we always, ALWAYS, produce a performance like this that makes us look like the average mid table side we have been for a couple seasons. It's not good enough.

Suarez played like piss and his team mates were loathing him at times. That's not healthy.

Johnson....just leave.

Lucas doesn't have his touch.

Sturridge looked laboured. Very slow in his decisions.

Thought Jose, Danny and Coutinho were our best.
      I'm really finding it difficult to pick holes in your post. But apart from thinking you were a bit too hard on Suarez (though he was poor), I have to agree with you

Like you said, for some reason, we are always found wanting in the pivotal games.

Quick Reply