Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

An Opportunity To Thank Rafa Benitez On Sunday.

Read 10837 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: An Opportunity To Thank Rafa Benitez On Sunday.
      Reply #69: Apr 20, 2013 10:29:52 am
      Interesting read that WAHS, cheers for posting.

Thought Brendan could take this nugget of advice and apply it:

‘He has shown over the years that he knows when and why he has to say something,’ he says. ‘It should be one of the strengths of every manager. When you do or say something it has to have purpose behind it.’

As for opportunity to thank Rafa, every chance we get we should pay tribute to legends of the past, it's what defines us.

To be fair to Rodgers he's saying all of the right things regarding Rafa's return in today's Liverpool Echo - he's actually spot on and I hope that he gets his name sang out more than usual tomorrow.

Sorry to be churning out articles but there's some good stuff out this weekend:

Liverpool v Chelsea: Rafael Benitez's games of political football still divide opinion
      BY IAN HERBERT

Chelsea manager faces warm Anfield return but one that comes with reservations

Liverpool is still his place of sanctuary – even now, three years after he told me that it was time to cut the cord, or risk being the perennial “former Liverpool manager”.

When he confided that fear, Rafael Benitez's head was gazing out beatifically from a mighty advertising hoarding, not far from the Mersey, promoting An Evening with Rafa at the local Empire Theatre. He'd long since been deposed as manager.

Merseyside can get under your skin that way, which is why Benitez – who goes "home" with the Chelsea team which has never been his on Sunday – has been found in many of the old, familiar places these past five months, on his half dozen returns to the place where his wife Montse and the girls, Claudia and Agata, remain settled.

A busy coffee house, tightly packed with tables and diners behind Liverpool's business district, is one of the haunts. Some managers would want more space but Benitez likes it this way, amid the clatter. Another is the Radisson, down towards the river, where they know his table and he is among friends. It's approaching a decade since Benitez discovered these people, as manager of the Valencia team who arrived at Anfield for a friendly in August 2003. The Spaniards won 2-0 but the Kop honoured the visitors with a generous ovation. "These supporters are different, aren't they?" Benitez told friends that night.

Little did he know, back then, that he would one day know all about the provenance of Beatles lyrics, Margaret Thatcher's economic effects on Merseyside and the Blitz which claimed the lives of 4,000 residents. But the more assiduous Benitez watcher might have predicted, even in 2003, that his career in this inestimably political city would become… well, political.

At the time of that pre-season friendly, Benitez was involved in an increasingly bitter confrontation with Jesus Garcia Pitarch, Valencia's director of football. "Previously if I made a pit stop you'd change a wheel for me," he told Pitarch in one of their heated exchanges. "Now I don't even get near the pit stop because you won't let me drive in." This kind of conflict has accompanied an innately political man through football and there are a significant number on Merseyside who do not care for him because of it.

How anyone could fail to be drawn into the toxic civil strife into which Tom Hicks and George Gillett plunged Liverpool, almost rendering them insolvent in the process, is anyone's guess. Yet Benitez said what he had to say and is remembered for it. That is why we need to deconstruct the notion of Liverpool adoration and Chelsea loathing in the Anfield stands tomorrow, as if the two had taken up the wrong ends of the ground.

Liverpool fans will also argue the merits of his transfer spending long into the night. For every Fernando Torres there is a Robbie Keane; for every Xabi Alonso an Alberto Aquilani. And, of course, there was the pursuit of Gareth Barry in preference to Alonso. Benitez will tell you that there was logic: Alonso had seemed to be fading and a quota of English players was required. But the supporters who admire Alonso's contemporary powers now struggle to see it that way.

Viewed through the prism of a 2012-13 season which has seemed interminable at times, the Benitez days at Anfield certainly look halcyon now. Just compare Liverpool's meek capitulation at Old Trafford in January and the afternoon Benitez's players bestrode that place, Torres destroying Nemanja Vidic in a 4-1 win in March 2009. It tells us that many didn't really know what they'd got, in this manager, until he was gone.

Some of the players might agree with that sentiment, in their hearts. Jamie Carragher may not now be the greatest advocate of Benitez's powers but he said in his biography that no one improved him more as a defender. The Spaniard only attracts extreme emotions. It will be a complicated homecoming.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-v-chelsea-rafael-benitezs-games-of-political-football-still-divide-opinion-8581050.html

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #70: Apr 20, 2013 10:37:01 am
      I hope Rafa gets a great reception. While we're at it, we should thank him for our capture of Phillipe Coutinho as well, as seemingly his capture was "down to Rafa" according to a couple of posters.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #71: Apr 20, 2013 10:40:40 am
      I hope Rafa gets a great reception. While we're at it, we should thank him for our capture of Phillipe Coutinho as well, as seemingly his capture was "down to Rafa" according to a couple of posters.

Why dont you name said posters instead of hiding behind veiled digs?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #72: Apr 20, 2013 01:03:17 pm
      Why dont you name said posters instead of hiding behind veiled digs?

Not hiding behind anything. I can't remember who it was but I did read it on here somewhere.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #73: Apr 20, 2013 01:33:15 pm
      Not hiding behind anything. I can't remember who it was but I did read it on here somewhere.

You may find it in the general transfer thread if im right, it was me who asked the question who scouted Coutiniho & KopiteLuke responded by suggesting he was recommended to us by Rafa 3 years ago but no credit was given to Rafa by anyone on the forum.

Mick, you are a good poster but at times in such threads you go fishing in the hope that someone takes the bait where the thread can be derailed into a pro & ex camp.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #74: Apr 20, 2013 02:25:54 pm
      Kenny Dalglish on Rafa Benitez: Why Chelsea boss will park memories at the door on his Liverpool return

The Blues interim boss will get a warm reception on his first visit back to Anfield - but that's where the affection from both sides will end, writes Kenny Dalglish

This is what will happen tomorrow when Rafa Benitez goes back to Anfield for the first time since leaving ­Liverpool.

Rafa will get a warm reception from the home fans, who still love him for everything he achieved at their club.

And when he gets to the ground, I’m sure he will remember all the fantastic times he had there when he was manager. But the idea that, as the Chelsea manager, he will somehow have some divided loyalties is fanciful and misguided.

His memories of Liverpool will stay parked at the door when he walks in. He will want to win the match for the Blues.

And for the Liverpool supporters, it will be the same. They will give Rafa a fantastic round of applause, but then they will show the same respect for their own manager.

And when the match begins, they will forget about their affection for Rafa for 90 minutes just as he will be locked in the game, trying to get a win for Chelsea.

The away fans would do well to accept that this will be the case. Since the vitriol they aimed at Rafa has become more muted, Chelsea’s fortunes have improved. It’s not a coincidence.

I think there will also be respect between Rafa and Brendan Rodgers, despite everyone speculating that the Spaniard wants to go back.

I think Rafa was probably misquoted a little while ago when he said he would go back to Liverpool. He said he would go back to ­Merseyside because that is where his wife and kids are. I don’t think he was trying to put any pressure on the Reds to give him a job or to try to discomfort Brendan in any way.

In fact, Rafa’s respect and appreciation for Liverpool and all the people at the club is there for everyone to see. His legacy at the club is secure already. He won the ­Champions League in Istanbul and he got the club to another final in the competition as well.

And the other thing he deserves great credit for is the changes he made to the club’s youth academy. Four years ago he brought in Pep Segura and Rodolfo Borrell to coach the kids – and Frank McParland to direct the academy.

There is a greater strength in depth at the academy now than there has ever been before and that is down to some of the changes Rafa ­implemented.

Those changes have had far-reaching effects and they helped Brendan at the start of this season when he was able to draw on the talents of Raheem ­Sterling and others.

It is also an interesting moment for another former favourite, ­Fernando Torres, to make another return to Anfield.

Fernando has recently been showing real signs of a return to being the kind of striker he was at Anfield.

He always used to seem to love to play against Chelsea, but this time it is Liverpool who will have to beware his sharpness.

It is a big game. Liverpool have got their former manager returning and Chelsea are desperate for points to
      boost their hopes of qualifying for next season’s Champions League.

There will be emotion, of course, but when the whistle blows, old loyalties will be forgotten.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/kenny-dalglish-rafa-benitez-chelsea-1842197#.UXJ8H37Nr4Y.twitter
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #75: Apr 20, 2013 03:53:06 pm
      Some brilliant articles posted above, a great read.

Have nothing but love and respect for Rafa, will always remember what he did for us and will always be grateful for that. He deserves a warm reception, nobody can argue with that. After that we focus on our own manager, our Club, our team.

Loved the Pako article, the glue that held Rafa together. The link between Rafa and the players, some people tend to forget that. It's interesting that he's looking to go into management, a shame he wasn't thinking that last Summer as he's somebody i certainly would have taken in compared to the other candidates.

I wonder if he'd be interested in taking the place of Colin Pascoe?. Let's be honest, he doesn't bring F**k all to the table, no disrespect like but he has no right to be at a Club like ours. If his boy wasn't banging Brendan's daughter he'd still be at Swansea.

If Pako would be interested in taking the number two job then i'd bite his hand off. When we talk about mentality then Pako is the type of man manager that can bring that back, like he did when he was here before.

Such a shame that Rafa's paranoia led to the break up of their relationship, had he stayed i feel Rafa would still be here. They were a great team, we were a great team.

Also great to see his loyalty in turning down the Chelsea job after leaving us ( something i knew about at the time ), Torres should take note.

Fernando you fuckwit, it's called respect.

Love to Pako Ayesteran, a man who was instrumental in our frog-march on Europe.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #76: Apr 20, 2013 04:04:26 pm

If his boy wasn't banging Brendan's daughter he'd still be at Swansea.

:o

On a serious note i feel Pako gets far too much credit than he desrves, his role was nothing more than a fitness coach.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #77: Apr 20, 2013 04:19:15 pm

On a serious note i feel Pako gets far too much credit than he desrves, his role was nothing more than a fitness coach.
      Don't know about, there seemed to be a lot of discussion going between Rafa and himself during the games.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #78: Apr 20, 2013 04:27:21 pm

We'll agree to disagree there sir. What happened after he left told its own story. Regardless of the fuckshot owners and the buy to sell argument.

Pako was a lot more than a fitness coach, even Rafa has admitted this himself. I understand that you masturbate over pictures of Rafa and that's great for you  >:D, it really is but he did have flaws, as does every human being. The thing is this, i am prepared to recognise those flaws and comment on them instead of thinking that winning the Champions League absolved him of any criticism whatsoever.

You can still love Rafa and be critical of the man shabs, it's alright mate. There are too many posters that think it's against the law to criticise Rafa, it's not. It's called being true to yourself sir.

I'm very sure that you're not deluded enough to believe that Rafa single handedly took us to the European summit. Pako Ayesteran, Jose Ochotorena and Paco Herrera were just as important to that success, yet you never see their names posted in recognition of this success.

For some posters it's all about Rafa, when it clearly is not.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #79: Apr 20, 2013 04:32:24 pm
      What Pako did was keep Rafa on his toes. He questioned him, he stood up to him. You need characters like that.

Rodgers has surrounded himself with muppets, his comfort blanket if you like.

Do you honestly believe that Colin Pascoe should hold a coaching role at a massive Club like ours?. Like i said, no disrespect to the man but he hasn't got a F***ing clue. Almost a Season in and i still fail to see what he's brought to the table. The only time he speaks is when Brendan has got his fist up his arse.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #80: Apr 20, 2013 04:40:30 pm
      We'll agree to disagree there sir. What happened after he left told its own story. Regardless of the fuckshot owners and the buy to sell argument.

Pako was a lot more than a fitness coach, even Rafa has admitted this himself. I understand that you masturbate over pictures of Rafa and that's great for you  >:D, it really is but he did have flaws, as does every human being. The thing is this, i am prepared to recognise those flaws and comment on them instead of thinking that winning the Champions League absolved him of any criticism whatsoever.

You can still love Rafa and be critical of the man shabs, it's alright mate. There are too many posters that think it's against the law to criticise Rafa, it's not. It's called being true to yourself sir.

I'm very sure that you're not deluded enough to believe that Rafa single handedly took us to the European summit. Pako Ayesteran, Jose Ochotorena and Paco Herrera were just as important to that success, yet you never see their names posted in recognition of this success.

For some posters it's all about Rafa, when it clearly is not.

Hence the reason why i said Pako gets too much praise, there were others who were part of that set up which enabled us to reach the dizzy heights we did.

One man alone cannot acheive this, even Shanks,Paisley & Dalglish had the right men in their respective corners.

So lets not elevate Pako above his station,if he were that good im sure he would have been snapped up by now.

As for wanking over Rafa's picture,it gives more pleasure than looking at a 80's disco DJ  ;)

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2013 05:03:53 pm by Shabs »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #81: Apr 20, 2013 04:44:51 pm
      What Pako did was keep Rafa on his toes. He questioned him, he stood up to him. You need characters like that.

Rodgers has surrounded himself with muppets, his comfort blanket if you like.

Do you honestly believe that Colin Pascoe should hold a coaching role at a massive Club like ours?. Like i said, no disrespect to the man but he hasn't got a f**king clue. Almost a Season in and i still fail to see what he's brought to the table. The only time he speaks is when Brendan has got his fist up his arse.

I dont think Pascoe has done anything of note barring overseeing a win whilst the Boss was out with illness & as you point out having his daughter poked by the boss's nipper.

The club need to change its mentality we need a ruthless streak in us as of old,something we had under Benitez,every c**t in europe feared us and to an extent the league too,its down to the current set up to instill the winning mentality,i give you that, but it wont happen when players like Carroll who Fergie was fuming with recently are turffed out because they cant play tiki taka footy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #82: Apr 20, 2013 05:08:58 pm

However you view his contribution Shabs Pako was and is a respected and acknowledged professional in his field and if it had not been for the cataclysmic results of the H&G nightmare who knows what his fate might have been?
      Any aspects of his role at Anfield and his working relationship with his manager have no bearing on the nature of his moving on, if he had stayed that may have been a catalyst in the management scheme of things, that is if our owners then had not tried to stifle any signs of positivity.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #83: Apr 20, 2013 05:16:04 pm
      He'll get a chant when he walks out of the tunnel, same way it was for Houllier when he returned with Villa last year. It's what Liverpool fans do.

But exactly like Houllier last year, once that whistle blows, I hope he (Benitez) loses the match. And I hope to be hearing us support our current team and manager during the match.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #84: Apr 20, 2013 05:24:24 pm
      However you view his contribution Shabs Pako was and is a respected and acknowledged professional in his field and if it had not been for the cataclysmic results of the H&G nightmare who knows what his fate might have been?
      Any aspects of his role at Anfield and his working relationship with his manager have no bearing on the nature of his moving on, if he had stayed that may have been a catalyst in the management scheme of things, that is if our owners then had not tried to stifle any signs of positivity.

You cant blame H&G for Pako leaving.

Rafa;

He told The Times: "Pako was much more than a physical trainer, he was my friend and someone I trusted for many years. I worked with him for 11 years. It's a recent wound that still hurts.
      "Liverpool gave him autonomy and power and I think that changed him a lot ? he wanted more and more. One day I found out that he had serious contacts with other teams and that seemed to me a betrayal towards me and the club that I couldn't accept.
      "He told me he wanted to leave the same day that we played against Toulouse, so I lost someone I trusted greatly, a key member of my staff at a crucial moment in the preseason."
      And Benitez admits the club has taken time to recover from Ayestaran's exit, adding: "Logically, this has an effect on a team. The people that arrived had to adapt and familiarise themselves with a new environment.
      "This meant that a transitional period started at the club, but we still managed to win games and play well. Then, when we started to draw games, people questioned our work.
      "I believe that no one is irreplaceable and we have to keep moving forward. Paco de Miguel took over the role as physical trainer. Also, as a result, I have more of a presence around the team and try to have more involvement with the players."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-551648/Pako-betrayed-hurts--Benitez-lifts-lid-assistants-Anfield-exit.html#ixzz2R1OknfwF
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #85: Apr 20, 2013 07:54:04 pm
      Fair play mate but who's to say the reason Pako was in touch with other clubs was his misgivings about the owners?
      We know only too well Rafa had an inner conviction and was determined to sacrifice himself if needed for LFC, possibly he viewed Pako and his contact with other clubs a betrayal and not in the interests of the club - a situation he would regard as a weak link in the chain to confront H&G.
      As I said though fair play Rafa did indeed pull the trigger.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #86: Apr 20, 2013 07:59:15 pm
      Fair play mate but who's to say the reason Pako was in touch with other clubs was his misgivings about the owners?
      We know only too well Rafa had an inner conviction and was determined to sacrifice himself if needed for LFC, possibly he viewed Pako and his contact with other clubs a betrayal and not in the interests of the club - a situation he would regard as a weak link in the chain to confront H&G.
      As I said though fair play Rafa did indeed pull the trigger.

I can't blame Rafa on the Pako situation as it was engineered by Pako himself mate, Rafa did what he thought at the time what's best for the club.

Pako should have remained loyal to a man who he won major honours with and a club that gave him greater power behind the scenes.

I could be wrong but I read Pako wanted to work with the scum?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #87: Apr 20, 2013 08:13:46 pm

He asked to leave the club, he wasn't asked to leave .

He was offered a role, while still at Liverpool by Real Sociedad if a certain presidential candidate won the election that year,  but the candidate lost.

Still love him for running to the ref to defend Carra against the mancs though!!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #88: Apr 21, 2013 12:54:42 pm

As for wanking over Rafa's picture,it gives more pleasure than looking at a 80's disco DJ  ;)

Actually mate, it's 90's hardcore DJ, still going strong too.  :P Maybe you're too young to remember the ecstasy years mate, the best years of my life and still are really.

Actually i don't know what worries me more, the facht you've admitted to wanking over pictures of Rafa or the facht you've considered the remote possibility of wanking over me!  >:D :f_tongueincheek:  :lmao:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #89: Apr 21, 2013 12:59:03 pm
      Actually mate, it's 90's hardcore DJ, still going strong too.  :P Maybe you're too young to remember the ecstasy years mate, the best years of my life and still are really.

Actually i don't know what worries me more, the facht you've admitted to wanking over pictures of Rafa or the facht you've considered the remote possibility of wanking over me!  >:D :f_tongueincheek:  :lmao:

:D

I remember the ecstasy years too well even though never been a pill man meself.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #90: Apr 21, 2013 01:04:30 pm
      I can't blame Rafa on the Pako situation as it was engineered by Pako himself mate, Rafa did what he thought at the time what's best for the club.

Pako should have remained loyal to a man who he won major honours with and a club that gave him greater power behind the scenes.

Please Shabs, will you let it go mate?. Please?.

It's bad enough that you are failing to acknowledge how important a part Pako Ayesteran was in the Liverpool machine.

There is absolutely no need to make up stories about Pako being linked with the Scum, i never heard anything at the time, the only one i heard was about Chelsea and we know he turned that down out of respect to Liverpool Football Club. In fact i didn't know about the Real Sociedad link until Huyton Red posted it.

You refuse to blame Rafa for anything, it's always someone else's fault. Well guess what, maybe it isn't?.

I could counter your argument against Pako by saying that Rafa should have turned down the Chelsea job out of respect for Liverpool Football Club  but i won't. Rafa wanted a job and he knew there was no way back at Liverpool so he took the next best job in his eyes and respect to him for having the balls to go into a job where he knew he'd be hated for what he had done to Chelsea in Europe in the past.

There's an old saying Shabs, throw enough sh*t and some will stick. Let's not throw sh*t, unless you can back up that comment about the Pako link to the Scum. Which if you can, i will gladly read and analyse.

Thank you.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #91: Apr 21, 2013 01:10:29 pm
      Brendan is a smart man. An extremely intelligent man, in fact. If anyone's worried that he'll think we're not behind him because we're singing the name of our legendary former manager, you really needn't worry. Come on reds.

Quick Reply