Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

An Opportunity To Thank Rafa Benitez On Sunday.

Read 10766 times
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Re: An Opportunity To Thank Rafa Benitez On Sunday.
      Reply #92: Apr 21, 2013 01:14:33 pm
      Just read on twitter that last night Rafa Benitez laid flowers for the 96 and a single rose for Anne Williams.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #93: Apr 21, 2013 01:21:53 pm
      Someone should go and pin this on Br door.

We’ve heard so many times that clubs can’t compete at a higher level because they have no budget to buy quality players. Often that’s an excuse, it’s rarely just about money. It’s about doing things differently .

About sums it up .Nice one Pako.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #94: Apr 21, 2013 01:29:34 pm

Well, after reading that article it seems to me like Rafa didn't like the facht that Pako was gaining more power and felt threatened by this?.

Rafa doesn't do himself any favours by admitting in the interview that he thought Pako wanted more and more power, not exactly convinced then was he?. Condemnation on thought is hardly the action of a balanced man, condemnation on conviction on the other hand, more plausible.

We've got Chelsea in a couple of hours and i've been working all night so i'll have a rest from this thread for a bit mate.

I'll leave with this parting shot.

Rafa was a great manager, i love Rafa, he is one of us, he is a part of Liverpool Football Club and always will be. If he'd come in during the Summer and been given a £60 million war chest ready for next Season i know he would have delivered the title.

The acid test was when the funds were stopped and he had to f**k with the cock he had. He had no answer to the midfield conundrum and persisted with a defensive midfield partnership that was ultimately his downfall. I felt he underestimated the supposedly weaker teams in the League and i felt he treated the domestic Cup competitions with disdain.

The true test of a manager is when he has to adapt his style, formation, tactics, belief or whatever anyone wants to call it. It's the ability to recognise what you want doesn't quite work so you have to deviate to compensate. Rafa was so stubborn in his beliefs that he failed to do this, i feel he saw change as a form of weakness, he was too proud to admit this.

Whether people like it or not, Pako Ayesteran leaving was a massive blow, not only for our Club, but for Rafa too and i don't think he ever recovered.

It's very very rare indeed that Rafa opens up, he reminds me so much of my father, he has to be strong as he is the leader of the family. When Rafa says it is a wound that still hurts be sure of this, he means it.

P.S. Thanks for posting the article.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #95: Apr 21, 2013 02:04:59 pm
      Just read on twitter that last night Rafa Benitez laid flowers for the 96 and a single rose for Anne Williams.

Just seen this myself, it's no surprise though is it, he is a class act, our Rafa.
      This is why I cannot understand any of our fans criticising us for chanting his name and giving him a standing ovation.
      The fact is, Rafa gets what this club and this city is about. We love him and he loves us, it really is that simple.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #96: Apr 21, 2013 02:27:21 pm
      By all means thank Rafa. By all means clap him and let it be known that we are grateful for what he did whilst at the club, in particular the Champions league win, fight for justice for the 96 and against Hicks and Gillet. However, once kick off starts, that should be the end of it. I don't agree that his name should be chanted throughout the game. Just my opinion.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #97: Apr 21, 2013 02:42:27 pm
      By all means thank Rafa. By all means clap him and let it be known that we are grateful for what he did whilst at the club, in particular the Champions league win, fight for justice for the 96 and against Hicks and Gillet. However, once kick off starts, that should be the end of it. I don't agree that his name should be chanted throughout the game. Just my opinion.

Bang on Semple. Chant his name and applaud him, he genuinely deserves it. Once that whistle blows it's all about Brendan Rodgers and our Club.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #98: Apr 21, 2013 02:45:08 pm
      Don't care if Rafa's name is chanted the entire match if we get 3 points.

And I doubt Brendan Rodgers would care either in that instance.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #99: Apr 21, 2013 03:15:44 pm
      Don't care if Rafa's name is chanted the entire match if we get 3 points.

And I doubt Brendan Rodgers would care either in that instance.

If we get three points, it'll be Rafa who gets the credit for making sure Chelsea lose out of respect for Liverpool.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #100: Apr 21, 2013 03:38:13 pm

Exactly. I'm unashamedly a Rafa fan and would have given my left nut to have him back as manager before Brendan was appointed but it didn't happen. It's right to give him a warm welcome back after everything he did for our club, the fans and the city but when that whistle goes, it's all about today's match and Brendan Rodgers is our manager, Rafa is theirs.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #101: Apr 21, 2013 03:43:59 pm
      Exactly. I'm unashamedly a Rafa fan and would have given my left nut to have him back as manager before Brendan was appointed but it didn't happen. It's right to give him a warm welcome back after everything he did for our club, the fans and the city but when that whistle goes, it's all about today's match and Brendan Rodgers is our manager, Rafa is theirs.

Well said Rep. Good to see you back mate.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #102: Apr 21, 2013 03:56:35 pm
      Well said Rep. Good to see you back mate.
      I still pop on now and again, mate. I just tend to swerve football topics nowadays as that's where the petty arguments tend to occur.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #103: Apr 21, 2013 06:43:05 pm
      I still pop on now and again, mate. I just tend to swerve football topics nowadays as that's where the petty arguments tend to occur.

I am the same mate, rarely on these days, just come on and try and avoid the negative elements of the forum.

Anyway, watched the game in the pub and heard quite a bit of Rafa chanting. Wasn't too over the top but still, think we should be concentrating on our own team and our own manager.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #104: Apr 21, 2013 06:44:52 pm
      I thought everyone handled Rafa's return very well. It was good to see him back.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #105: Apr 21, 2013 06:53:20 pm

The man is a scholar and a gentleman, his sincerity and passion are legendary. JFT96
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #106: Apr 21, 2013 09:31:31 pm
      Rafa's right you're fans are sh*te aimed at Chelsea supporters today was funny!

As was the interim fans song that came from the back of the kop!!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #107: Apr 21, 2013 10:02:18 pm
      Think Luis might have to look for an opportunity to thank him too after today.

Loved his reaction when basically grilled for a bit of juice on the bite

"I haven't seen the incident"

Top class Rafa, cheers for that, surprised he didn't give his sly half grin when saying it, was probably fighting it off.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #108: Apr 21, 2013 11:49:46 pm

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #109: Apr 21, 2013 11:51:05 pm
      I F***ing love him. What a gent.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #110: Apr 21, 2013 11:53:33 pm
      As was the interim fans song that came from the back of the kop!!

Thought it was a sh*t song myself and if you heard the Fulham-based accents of the people who started it you may have thought the same.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #111: Apr 22, 2013 12:09:56 am
      Thought it was a sh*t song myself and if you heard the Fulham-based accents of the people who started it you may have thought the same.

Fair enough mate, sounded funny at the time as a response to the song we used to sing about our owners!

Got a few chuckles around us.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #112: Apr 22, 2013 12:14:03 am
      Rafa made Liverpool fight above their financial weight when he was manager. He lifted our fifth European Cup. That's why we love him. He flawed like every manager, but he was by far the best manager we have had since Kenny's first term.

And he's by far the best top rank European manager who would actually take the Liverpool job.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #113: Apr 23, 2013 03:50:24 pm
      Rafa made Liverpool fight above their financial weight when he was manager. He lifted our fifth European Cup. That's why we love him. He flawed like every manager, but he was by far the best manager we have had since Kenny's first term.

And he's by far the best top rank European manager who would actually take the Liverpool job.

Agreed. I haven't had my say on this, but if we would have perservered after 1 bad season I think we would still be top 4 at a minimum
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #114: Apr 23, 2013 05:04:15 pm
      Have to admit, seeing him back made me want him back.

Quick Reply