Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Qatari company seek to Sponsor LFC and rename Anfield (?)

Read 24596 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Qatari company seek to Sponsor LFC and rename Anfield (?)
      Reply #69: Apr 29, 2013 07:01:16 pm
      So we are officially beginning operation knee-jerk...

Operation knee-jerk never stops!  :laugh:
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #70: Apr 29, 2013 07:21:10 pm
      Be nice to knee-jerk and get frothy at the mouth after there is something a bit more to go off of.

It's article is written at a supporter website that is quoting a newspaper who was quoting a director of a foreign company , but nothing confirmed by anyone.

This part of the article:

"“We want to sponsor the club in full. We want to sponsor the Stadium (possibly rename it) as well as the club’s kits. Our goal is to reach the Asian markets where the Premier League has an enormous fan base.”

See the parenthesis under (possibly rename it) if that was a direct quote then it would not be like that, it would be part of the quote, so that is a supposition made by either the TIA writer or the Al Jazeera writer not a quote by the company official.

So we are officially beginning operation knee-jerk 04-2013 based of an idea of a reporter that heard 2nd hand that a company had been looking (perhaps) at LFC to sponsor.

:confused-smiley-013:

People are just giving their opinion on the said rumour about something they care deeply about..

Don't see the problem..

It's what happens when you are really entrenched into the club.. I mean I like golf for example but I'm not as passionate about that as I am Liverpool, so if they renamed the masters to the kitkat masters it wouldn't really bother me so I can get the other side of it when people don't really get that passionate about things..

FSG will do it if there is a bit of cash in it anyway so it doesn't matter if we like it or not they have the keys to the club they will do what they want.
      But not to discuss decisions or potential decisions seems a bit pointless to me
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #71: Apr 29, 2013 07:23:47 pm
      Americans as a whole value $$$$$$

History and tradition are valued only when convenient and cheap.

Most American sports venues are sponsored in this day and age. There are very few (including Fenway) that retain their historical name.

Weirdly enough just because America does it, doesn't mean we should follow. 

We have our own identity, our own history and our own values, that are based on how we do things here not how things are done in the USA.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #72: Apr 29, 2013 07:26:54 pm
      Weirdly enough just because America does it, doesn't mean we should follow. 

We have our own identity, our own history and our own values, that are based on how we do things here not how things are done in the USA.

I'm sorry, can you connect the dots to show me where I said or implied that Anfield should be renamed because that's "how it's done in America"?

I was rebutting the fact that History and Tradition are valued in America and therefore noting that if you want to retain history and tradition, you shouldn't be looking towards the American model.

But somehow in your infinite wisdom you got out of that that I think Anfield should be renamed just because it's done that way in America??

Do you have a "jump to conclusions mat" in your house by any chance?

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,270 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #73: Apr 29, 2013 07:45:14 pm
      Let them rename Fenway Park first and see how that goes down.

What next?  Change the colour of our kit?  Add a sponsors name into our nickname or club name?  How about changing the Liverpool badge so that the Liverbird is using a phone manufactured by this Qatari telecom company?  Why don't we melt down all the trophies we've won in the last 120 years and get the scrap value towards the transfer budget?

You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.  Some things shouldn't be sold off.  If they aren't going to build a new stadium then they don't need the money to rebrand the ground.

Ahead of a season when they are about to coin in an extra £35M from improved TV deals I can't even believe we are having this discussion.
      Spot on for me
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #74: Apr 29, 2013 07:48:58 pm
      It's a pure bad idea and there'll be absolute murder if the owners try to rename Anfield in any capacity.

They can put a name on the front of the kit. But that's where all this rubbish should stop.

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #75: Apr 29, 2013 07:57:41 pm
      People are just giving their opinion on the said rumour about something they care deeply about..

Don't see the problem..

FSG will do it if there is a bit of cash in it anyway so it doesn't matter if we like it or not they have the keys to the club they will do what they want.

So they sold Agger and Suarez last year to make a bit of cash.

They dumped the cash cows Poulson, Cole, Jovanovic, Aqualani.

They cashed in when they fired Hodgson and let Kenny go along with Comolli.

Yea asset stripping MF's they are.

At least be honest that your butt sore about Kenny getting treated that way, but don't sit there pontificating and making stuff up when there is nothing there.

They have wasted money by letting managers go early, they have saved some money by dumping overpaid-under-performers.

I have yet to see a quick buck being made here despite your assumptions.

Your mad about Kenny and now everything or anyone associated or even remotely related to FSG (including where they came from is) is evil and bad.

At least be honest about it because everyone else sees it even if you don't want to admit it.

Bad decision making?  Sure

Not moving fast enough? Sure

Will do anything for a bit of cash? Prove it
      « Last Edit: Apr 29, 2013 08:07:55 pm by AZPatriot »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #76: Apr 29, 2013 08:18:22 pm

So they sold Agger and Suarez last year to make a bit of cash.

They dumped the cash cows Poulson, Cole, Jovanovic, Aqualani.

They cashed in when they fired Hodgson and let Kenny go along with Comolli.

Yea asset stripping MF's they are.

At least be honest that your butt sore about Kenny getting treated that way, but don't sit there pontificating and making stuff up when there is nothing there.

They have wasted money by letting managers go early, they have saved some money by dumping overpaid-under-performers.

I have yet to see a quick buck being made here despite your assumptions.

Your mad about Kenny and now everything or anyone associated or even remotely related to FSG (including where they came from is) is evil and bad.

At least be honest about it because everyone else sees it even if you don't want to admit it.

Bad decision making?  Sure

Not moving fast enough? Sure

Will do anything for a bit of cash? Prove it

I didn't say quick cash.. You did.. I said they want a good profit from us and that's the only reason they are here..

I have nothing against America or Americans.. I happen to like a lot about the culture, spent a week of my honeymoon there.. Go regularly to what I class as the best city in the world..

However American businessmen in English football is a disaster.. They are only here to make money and that annoys me.
      FSG brought us for one reason, they saw a bargain and a way to make money..

I dont think Kenny should have been sacked and I do think they are clowns.. But not because of Kenny, that's just another reason.

I'm sure you are well aware that the argument you present over players is daft.

I don't like FSG no... But I have nothing against where they come from at all.. I just wish they were nowhere near the football club. Two American sets of owners have put us firmly in midtable with not much chance of getting out of it under these..
      As I said earlier FSG see us as weetabix no less than Tom Hicks did..

I have no interest in arguing with you though.. You have your view, I respect it even if I don't agree.. I have mine which I won't change.. I've given FSG 3 years.. They have done nothing to get us moving forward.. They are dragging their feet over every key decision and getting the majority of the ones they do make wrong.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #77: Apr 29, 2013 08:22:31 pm
      I didn't say quick cash.. You did.. I said they want a good profit from us and that's the only reason they are here..

I have nothing against America or Americans.. I happen to like a lot about the culture, spent a week of my honeymoon there.. Go regularly to what I class as the best city in the world..

However American businessmen in English football is a disaster.. They are only here to make money and that annoys me.

I dont think Kenny should have been sacked and I do think they are clowns.. But not because of Kenny, that's just another reason.

I don't like FSG no... But I have nothing against where they come from at all.. I just wish they were nowhere near the football club. Two American sets of owners have put us firmly in midtable with not much chance of getting out of it under these..

Sorry I mis-interpreted  "FSG will do it if there is a bit of cash in it anyway so it doesn't matter" as a "quick buck" instead of "Cash Whores" (They should really sell Luis, they can make a tidy sum for themselves then!)

Understand!

I would plan on being disappointed for a long long time PD as I expect them to be owning Liverpool FC for at least another 7 years.

Just an opinion mind you.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #78: Apr 29, 2013 08:24:57 pm
      Sorry I mis-interpreted  "FSG will do it if there is a bit of cash in it anyway so it doesn't matter" as a "quick buck" instead of a whores.

Understand!

I would plan on being disappointed for a long long time PD as I expect them to be owning Liverpool FC for at least another 7 years.

Just an opinion mind you.

Seems you did misunderstand yes..

If they are I will be.. But even if it's another 7 years you can guarentee they will have maximised their profit at that point and that's the point they pull out
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #79: Apr 29, 2013 08:26:29 pm
      Seems you did misunderstand yes..

If they are I will be.. But even if it's another 7 years you can guarentee they will have maximised their profit at that point and that's the point they pull out

You don't "maximize profit" by being a mid-table team now do you?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #80: Apr 29, 2013 08:28:26 pm

I have no interest in arguing with you though.. You have your view, I respect it even if I don't agree.. I have mine which I won't change.. I've given FSG 3 years.. They have done nothing to get us moving forward.. They are dragging their feet over every key decision and getting the majority of the ones they do make wrong.

Usually I see a lot of sense in your posts, but not this one I'm afraid.

They may look to make a long term profit, or even a short term one if the right offer came in, but they as far away from h&g as it's possible to be.
      They are not asset strippers, leveraged buy out merchants or anything else of that ilk.
      These are people who have already made their money, F***ing tons of it, and are looking for projects in sports to keep them busy because they have all but retired from the markets where they made their money.

People are going to have to accept that when they said we would live within our means, they meant it, and that's why things are taking time.
      We've only just got out of the F***ing mess left by the 2 monkeys, would people have us charge headlong into another debt crisis to satisfy their need for short term gains on the pitch while things fall apart off it?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #81: Apr 29, 2013 08:30:40 pm
      You don't "maximize profit" by being a mid-table team now do you?

There will always be a buyer.. Someone wanting to own this club which will always be a big pull and if you reduce overheads then yes at the price they paid for the club they will make a very good profit.

The spend needed to compete with the top 4 from where we are is big and the return won't justify the spend for them..
      Reducing overheads and making us viable will make the club very sellable and therefore deliver profit
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #82: Apr 29, 2013 08:34:32 pm
      Usually I see a lot of sense in your posts, but not this one I'm afraid.

They may look to make a long term profit, or even a short term one if the right offer came in, but they as far away from h&g as it's possible to be.
      They are not asset strippers, leveraged buy out merchants or anything else of that ilk.
      These are people who have already made their money, f**king tons of it, and are looking for projects in sports to keep them busy because they have all but retired from the markets where they made their money.

People are going to have to accept that when they said we would live within our means, they meant it, and that's why things are taking time.
      We've only just got out of the f**king mess left by the 2 monkeys, would people have us charge headlong into another debt crisis to satisfy their need for short term gains on the pitch while things fall apart off it?

Maybe read it in context with other points I've made swab.

Can't be bothered to go through it all again but I wasn't saying they were the same
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #83: Apr 29, 2013 08:35:58 pm
      I'm sorry, can you connect the dots to show me where I said or implied that Anfield should be renamed because that's "how it's done in America"?

I was rebutting the fact that History and Tradition are valued in America and therefore noting that if you want to retain history and tradition, you shouldn't be looking towards the American model.

But somehow in your infinite wisdom you got out of that that I think Anfield should be renamed just because it's done that way in America??

Do you have a "jump to conclusions mat" in your house by any chance?

Irrespective of the US history and tradition debate which was obscurely dismissed, FSG reassured anyone who was listening they were honoured to own a club with the history and tradition of LFC and vowed to uphold the standard of their asset.
      It is fortunate that failing to negotiate hurdles has not had a bigger impact on their investment, depending on which side of the pond you are observing any possible developments 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #84: Apr 29, 2013 08:42:57 pm
      Maybe read it in context with other points I've made swab.

Can't be bothered to go through it all again but I wasn't saying they were the same

I think that statement is abundantly clear in any context, and also completely wrong.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #85: Apr 29, 2013 08:43:11 pm
      There will always be a buyer.. Someone wanting to own this club which will always be a big pull and if you reduce overheads then yes at the price they paid for the club they will make a very good profit.

The spend needed to compete with the top 4 from where we are is big and the return won't justify the spend for them..
      Reducing overheads and making us viable will make the club very sellable and therefore deliver profit

So we are not going to spend like Sheiks or Oligarchs.

We are going to run the club in a smart business fashion in order to maximize the money that (can or cannot be put back into the squad)

So when they bought the club they said the biggest reason was FFP, they did not lie about that; you think as others do that FFP is a joke (perhaps it is, actually you don't know the future any better than FSG does)

So we will spend what we make, we will not over pay or waste money on frivolities. The way they will carry forth will look far closer to the Bundisliga then it does the Premier League.

So basically the ambition is not high enough because FSG is not going to sanction short term 100+ million transfer windows.

You want the quick fix, your not going to get it and your angry.

Jesus Christ just come out and say it instead of dancing around with 10,000 word essays.

Comparing to H&G = pisstaking

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #86: Apr 29, 2013 08:47:22 pm

I think that statement is abundantly clear in any context, and also completely wrong.

Not really..

They both see us a brand to make money from.. Methods may be different end goal isn't.

Not asking to agree swab but it's what I see.

Different methods though is the key difference.

Anyway I'm not arguing I really don't have the energy for it.. It's being warn down by countless idiots in charge of the club and killing it ( my passion)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #87: Apr 29, 2013 08:50:19 pm
      Name two new stands after them.
      *Draws a line*
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #88: Apr 29, 2013 08:51:19 pm

We are going to run the club in a smart business fashion in order to maximize the money that (can or cannot be put back into the squad)

So when they bought the club they said the biggest reason was FFP, they did not lie about that; you think as others do that FFP is a joke (perhaps it is, actually you don't know the future any better than FSG does)

So we will spend what we make, we will not over pay or waste money on frivolities. The way they will carry forth will look far closer to the Bundisliga then it does the Premier League.

So basically the ambition is not high enough because FSG is not going to sanction short term 100+ million transfer windows.

Jesus Christ just come out and say it instead of dancing around with 10,000 word essays.

I've admitted not liking them..

I'm not after a quick fix I'm after direction..
      I think 3 years is long enough to wait for some sort of direction. I've waited and all I see is errors.

Anyway.. Like I said you have your opinion I'm not saying its wrong but mine differs which I'm fully behind

End of.. No point arguing as neither of us will change our minds so let's agree to disagree
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #89: Apr 29, 2013 08:51:38 pm
      Irrespective of the US history and tradition debate which was obscurely dismissed, FSG reassured anyone who was listening they were honoured to own a club with the history and tradition of LFC and vowed to uphold the standard of their asset.
      It is fortunate that failing to negotiate hurdles has not had a bigger impact on their investment, depending on which side of the pond you are observing any possible developments 

I have no idea what you just said......too much flowery phrasing for my feeble mind, my point was only that your original assessment (argument) that American's value history and tradition is off the mark. Not many Americans value anything other than the almighty dollar anymore sadly so history and tradition went out the window with the bath water.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #90: Apr 29, 2013 09:04:55 pm

Where did PD say he wanted an Oligarch or billionaire to take this up as his own little hobby. All he wants and I'd suggest 90% of the Liverpool fan base want is an owner who has some heart invested in the club.

You're statement that

Is based on a complete assumption and you blissfully sit within that assumption happy and content that all is well in the world and the direction we're heading is slow, steady, but progressive.

Well I demand more from an owner than to run LFC only as a business, because I don't support a business I support a football club which is steeped in tradition and history, something your friend seems to claim Americans don't value yet take a trip near anywhere with history or tradition and you can't move for Americans as it's something your country doesn't have and has to seek elsewhere. (not a criticism just an observation)

Your assumption also removes any doubt that everything is being operated above board and honestly. Well need I remind you that these owners have already proven themselves to be liars, I'm not in the habit of believing proven liars, no matter how well they try to spin the facts. I believe this years accounts will make difficult reading for any pro-FSG supporters because the £20m (rumoured) that we are likely to spend this summer will not nearly be reinvesting what we've made on the current financial year. In fact they will be repaying the debts they were left with when the club was bought and have invested so far + interest. This was acquisition debt that we were told had been removed from the club on purchase, however stadium plans suddenly added to that debt tremendously and then player acquisitions + severance packages were added to that debt. Hardly the behaviour of smart, nor honest businessmen.

As for their ambition to maximise the money they can make from the club, as long as they can progress slowly towards CL football and grow revenue streams then they wont be making a mid-table football club they'll be making a long term investment and to hell with the ambitions of the captive fan base as long as they keep passing over the money. Their treatment of the fan base is already showing it's ugly head on the restructuring of the ticket prices in the main stand and charging the top price for a seat with restricted view and shocking facilities. Their excuse for handling this "we had to start somewhere and this is what our competition does." So this is more than likely down to their fantastic communication they have with the Scum and the like. What they don't realise and don't 'get' is this club always valued it's fans more highly than other clubs and we in turn had a greater commitment to the club in my opinion and already the layers of that allegiance are being stripped at.

All this the work of smart businessmen, no, simply greedy businessmen who have no care, nor love for the brand, simply the dollar.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #91: Apr 29, 2013 09:14:54 pm
      Well I demand more from an owner than to run LFC only as a business, because I don't support a business I support a football club which is steeped in tradition and history, something your friend seems to claim Americans don't value yet take a trip near anywhere with history or tradition and you can't move for Americans as it's something your country doesn't have and has to seek elsewhere. (not a criticism just an observation)

And in the summer I can't walk around DisneyWorld without bumping into British people, so does that men all Brits only care about amusement parks?

I'm not even sure what point you are really trying to make or how you think saying we have no tradition or history isn't a criticism disregarding the fact that it's untrue.

Probably best if folks stick to the topic of the club sponsorship, we have a thread we can all visit to argue about our owners.

You'll get no argument from me on them, they have been underwhelming, but the optimist in me believes that in spite of that, we still have a chance for the club to move forward, maybe it will be just a little slower than people like.

As for having owners whose "heart" is in the club....good luck there. I doubt you'll find any billionaire that cares that much about anything other than money which is why they are billionaires in the first place.

Quick Reply