Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Qatari company seek to Sponsor LFC and rename Anfield (?)

Read 24597 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Re: Qatari company seek to Sponsor LFC and rename Anfield (?)
      Reply #92: Apr 29, 2013 09:20:14 pm
      I have no idea what you just said......too much flowery phrasing for my feeble mind, my point was only that your original assessment (argument) that American's value history and tradition is off the mark. Not many Americans value anything other than the almighty dollar anymore sadly so history and tradition went out the window with the bath water.

To be more succinct FSG announced they were honoured to own a club of LFC's stature and history and vowed to uphold the standards of the club, irrespective of your assertions about Americans and their preference of tradition or the dollar, they were the words of JH yet they fell at the first hurdle. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,382 posts | 6404 
      Reply #93: Apr 29, 2013 09:32:12 pm
      To be more succinct FSG announced they were honoured to own a club of LFC's stature and history and vowed to uphold the standards of the club, irrespective of your assertions about Americans and their preference of tradition or the dollar, they were the words of JH yet they fell at the first hurdle. 

I'm sure they do want to uphold the standards of the club in so much as it doesn't alienate fans and cause them to lose sponsorships. Of course it's all about the money. Isn't everything? You are trying to apply heart and emotion and caring and sensitivity to a group of individuals ( millionaire or billionaire businessmen) that never possessed such qualities, otherwise they wouldn't be in the position of wealth to spend what they are spending to buy a club.

If anyone ever thought that John Henry and his cohorts cared about anything other than making the club "successful" then shame on them for being so naive.

The only thing to debate is whether they want the club to be successfull quickly so that they can sell and move on and make a quick buck, or if they want sustained growth and value because they want another feather in their cap of sports ownership.

You guys are trying to romanticize the notion of ownership and it's just not realistic. You will never in this day and age find an owner that is "one of us" when it comes to supporting the club and putting heart and soul into the club. And that most likely goes for any club that you would look at. I'm not saying they are around....but good luck finding one to buy LFC.

No one ever listens to me but I'll state it again....go look at Jerry Jones...owner of the Cowboys in the NFL. He loves that club, puts his heart and soul into it and has more money than probably most of the EPL owners put together and yet the Cowboys haven't competed for a title in going on almost 20 years.

So you have to decide what you want, heart and soul, or winning, because I doubt you'll get both.

With FSG you may not get either, point taken.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #94: Apr 29, 2013 09:56:16 pm
      When Liverpool win the title again, and the captain lifts that trophy to the sky, I would like that moment to take place at a stadium named ANFIELD!

I wouldn't be against naming rights for the individual stands, with the obvious exception of the Spion Kop. Sponsors could still have their names written across seats in big letters.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #95: Apr 29, 2013 10:22:12 pm
      I've admitted not liking them..

I'm not after a quick fix I'm after direction..
      I think 3 years is long enough to wait for some sort of direction. I've waited and all I see is errors.

Anyway.. Like I said you have your opinion I'm not saying its wrong but mine differs which I'm fully behind

End of.. No point arguing as neither of us will change our minds so let's agree to disagree

The only thing that has truly happened is time passing (1 year).

Kenny was let go

Money has been spent (though not enough in your eyes)

Brendan was hired (Not good enough in your eyes)

Fair play to you but this all comes back to Kenny, because every post pre-Kenny being let go is positive and understanding in regards to a time frame.

Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: New Owners of LFC
      « Reply #3574 on: May 22, 2012, 07:23:56 AM »
      Quote (selected)
      This must be a tough time for the owners, they know that this appointment is key to the medium term future of the club and their standing with the fans.. I dont envy them, they have a massive decision to make and i hope they get it right..

But these guys have me feeling the flatest ive ever been being a Liverpool fan.

Now i know that sounds dramatic but let me explain, they are certainly far higher in my estimation than the previous f**k wits but at least then i had an emotion...Anger..Fight.. I needed to vent against them and i could see where we were going as a club even though i didnt like that vision you could see it.

Under these im flat and i never have had that feeling about the club.. Normally at this time of season im already looking forward to the next, im looking forward to seeing new signings and how i feel we will progress the next year, right now its all just drifting on without me giving it much thought. We have now officially turned into what i never wanted us to, we have admitted publically that only top 4 matters, that domestic trophies mean less than finishing in the Champions league places. It was always an un-spoken entity, we knew that CL football was important but i didnt want us having that as our main spoken target. We have turned into a club that just sacks managers as they fail to acheive that. We used to stick by our own, not anymore it seems.
      I used to laugh at clubs for doing that and now we are doing the same thing.

I cant get passionate about thinking about the next manager, i hope i can when they are appointed.

I am not against FSG, i dont actually see the point ofsending them correspondence at this point, let them make their decisions, if they are the wrong ones and they turn out that way then they will hang themselves.. As much as i disagree with Kenny's sacking they have made it and are entitled to..

I hate the fact its being dressed up as "The Liverpool Way" because i dont think they understand that 1%.. They should be in Liverpool right now whilst all this is going on, not dragging everyone to Boston, wheather thats Kenny or interviewees, in my opinion they should be here until its sorted out.

I hope that my passion returns becaue right now FSG have stripped that away and taken away what this club stands for in a short time, i dont feel that will ever return, its a case of adapting to the new world i guess now, i hope i can.

Over to you FSG... You need to make the right decisions for the company.. Because that what we are now... We are not a club with a heart anymore.

So once again prior to being let go..it was stand with Kenny, stand with FSG

After Kenny is let go FSG morphs into the two "fukwits" 53 weeks later.

You are totally allowed to have any opinion you want that's fine so be it, but don't dress it up as something it is not. Nothing materially change (money was spent for Brendan as it was for Kenny).
      Another year has passed it has not been easy although nobody thought it would be now did they?

This team would sh*te all over the starting XI of the squad that was in place when FSG took over, would all of us like it to be more? of course we would but then we knew from the start is was not going to happen.

Take your opinion and voice it, bless you for having one, just don't give sh*te and belittle those of us who don't think its a conspiracy or talk down to those of us that came along later in life from different places around the globe.

Agree to disagree is fine by me.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #96: Apr 29, 2013 11:13:28 pm
      Just so I'm clear AZ. Just because someone thought FSG might be ok a year or so ago, and I'm not even sure PD said that in the post you quoted, they cannot change their mind or opinion of them based on what has happened over the last year?

I'm sure you'll agree that things can happen over time that make you rethink how you feel about certain issues.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #97: Apr 29, 2013 11:31:54 pm
      No trophy.
      No cup finals.
      No European football.

Progress.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,835 posts | 6777 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #98: Apr 29, 2013 11:44:07 pm
      We will take your money but we keep our Anfield name Mother Fuckers !
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #99: Apr 30, 2013 12:01:45 am
      Just so I'm clear AZ. Just because someone thought FSG might be ok a year or so ago, and I'm not even sure PD said that in the post you quoted, they cannot change their mind or opinion of them based on what has happened over the last year?

I'm sure you'll agree that things can happen over time that make you rethink how you feel about certain issues.

Si I totally understand yours and PD's position and the right to change opinions over the course of time.

From give them time to fukwits get out in 53 weeks seems a bit extreme but then everyone's entitled, just as those that don't think that way are also entitled.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #100: Apr 30, 2013 07:11:11 am

Si I totally understand yours and PD's position and the right to change opinions over the course of time.

From give them time to fukwits get out in 53 weeks seems a bit extreme but then everyone's entitled, just as those that don't think that way are also entitled.

As I've stated I'm not wanting or expecting you to change your mind..

Is over a year of more lack of progress on the key issues we have not time to get frustrated?
      Take one major issue without going into the rest.. The stadium. That's one major major issue that needs addressing and here we are with nothing being done and nothing but talk.
      Go and read again the post I quoted you on in the transfer thread about the money they have spent on transfers being relative to your rivals rather than a level of ambition.

I've said numerous times that I thought the decision to sack Kenny was wrong.. I'm not hiding from that, I've also said that it's their decision, but the one thing I hate him for is the way he treated Kenny at Wembley. I won't hide from that and can't forget it.

I've also said a million times that I'm not trying or wanting to change your or anyone else's opinion. If you think FSG are great then fine.. I just dont.

Agree to disagree, I won't come back on it again to you AZ as you just seem to get your claws out at every opportunity.
      Just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

As racer said

No trophy
      No finals
      No Europe

No progress

I'd add cost cutting
      And weaker squad.

6th or 7th in the table which is where we are now isn't good enough and that's where they with their ambition and plans have put us
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #101: Apr 30, 2013 08:59:24 am
      It does not matter what business comes along and pays for naming rights they will never erase from my mind that it will always be ANFIELD to me.I am sure that many years from now Liverpool supporters will still be calling our ground Anfield  and still talking about Bill,Bob,Joe,Kenny and Rafa with the utmost respect and the fame they brought to this club.SoI say take all the cash we can as they can never take our memories.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2853 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #102: Apr 30, 2013 09:02:10 am
      No trophy.
      No cup finals.
      No European football.

Progress.

We had plenty of the first 2 under all our recent managers while the 3rd one is still on so why mention it?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #103: Apr 30, 2013 09:10:57 am
      An excellent bit of debate between FL and Pd ruined by a Johnny come lately with his accusations.

Totally take the points on board made by FL but Luke and Pd have said everything that I would say at this time.

Upto the owners to change my point of view, let's hope they do that over the Summer.

With regards to the renaming - let's just hope what we are doing is speculating wildly but let's not have a pop at people for doing so and having concerns about it.

Not doubting that people from over the pond care but its obvious that the people who are speculating and worrying probably care that little bit more and will be the ones who would be more gutted about it long after the sh*t had hit the fan.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #104: Apr 30, 2013 09:17:39 am

To be fair, and I'm not comparing owners - but I went from pleased with Hicks and Gillett taking over to highly suspicious within 4 months - even though I angered quite a lot of fans at the time (see comments)
      http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/editorial/2007/are-the-anfield-chairmen-pulling-a-fast-one/
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #105: Apr 30, 2013 09:29:23 am
      I'm sure they do want to uphold the standards of the club in so much as it doesn't alienate fans and cause them to lose sponsorships. Of course it's all about the money. Isn't everything? You are trying to apply heart and emotion and caring and sensitivity to a group of individuals ( millionaire or billionaire businessmen) that never possessed such qualities, otherwise they wouldn't be in the position of wealth to spend what they are spending to buy a club.

If anyone ever thought that John Henry and his cohorts cared about anything other than making the club "successful" then shame on them for being so naive.

The only thing to debate is whether they want the club to be successfull quickly so that they can sell and move on and make a quick buck, or if they want sustained growth and value because they want another feather in their cap of sports ownership.

You guys are trying to romanticize the notion of ownership and it's just not realistic. You will never in this day and age find an owner that is "one of us" when it comes to supporting the club and putting heart and soul into the club. And that most likely goes for any club that you would look at. I'm not saying they are around....but good luck finding one to buy LFC. 

Some confusion seems to have arisen here concerning aspiration, or to be more precise what qualifies particular aspirations.
      Whether you interpret success as being seen as a viable, solvent product as opposed to the near bankrupt football club when first acquired, or the more familiar model of being a winner on the field of play is not essentially anything connected with romance or emotion.
      When those two concepts dovetail only then can the club claim to be ''successful''.
      If we do attain-mid league status which seems very likely, some would be happy with that solvent status while an echoing trophy cabinet would continue to annoy the hell out of the more involved, commited supporter who may have experienced the elation of winning major trophies in the past with LFC.
      Success is built on success and has nothing in common with romance.
      Winning is a total entity - no half measures.
      If the club do succeed the indications are it will be in spite of FSG and not because of.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #106: Apr 30, 2013 10:22:36 am
      If the club do succeed the indications are it will be in spite of FSG and not because of.

Its quite simple.

I want Lewandowski and Falcao without naming rights.

" Aye-Thang-Yaw "

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,466 posts | 3429 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #107: Apr 30, 2013 10:28:49 am
      I'm a bit divided on this issue as a lot of people appear to be , the biggest problem is people want us to compete on one hand but don't want deals like this on the other so it is really a delicate balancing act. I stick to my thought that if the team is successful on the pitch people don't take much notice of what's happening off it, just look at Manure, not many anti Glazer protests recently. FSG are looking to increase investment in the club which is badly needed, sadly at the moment progress on and off the pitch is very very slow
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #108: Apr 30, 2013 10:35:47 am
      I'm a bit divided on this issue as a lot of people appear to be

I'm not.

If FSG don't have the money to take us forward, either from themselves or the other revenue streams they keep banging on about, then they should sell the club to someone who does.

Could you imagine the Bernabeu, Camp Nou or Old Trafford having naming rights?

Neither could I and our stadium is just as historical and well known worldwide.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #109: Apr 30, 2013 10:39:52 am
      People are going to have to accept that when they said we would live within our means, they meant it, and that's why things are taking time.

When, exactly, did FSG "saying" that "we would live within our means" supercede "we have the resources to compete with anyone for transfers" Swab? Did they [FSG] not mean that when they said it?

The fact that we now buy into the notion that they only really meant "we would live within our means" (sort of) proves that we've been hoodwinked to a degree.

but they as far away from h&g as it's possible to be.
      They are not asset strippers, leveraged buy out merchants or anything else of that ilk.

Agreed that they "are not asset strippers" or "leveraged buy out merchants" but to say that they are "as far away from h&g as it's possible to be" might be slightly off the mark. Let's look at the whole picture, differences and similarities, then decide.

Two American (sorry if this description offends, it's not meant to) owners riding in to save the day. Lot's of, what transpired to be, hyperbole, lies and big promises. An initial, of what appeared to be, big injection of transfer funds [both in and around £150m gross] which actually cost them [owners] nothing. A new stadium; subject to 'outside' funding (of course). Intent to make a profit without any further cost to themselves. A three year reign with no tangible, on-field progress... I could go on but you get my drift.

Don't get me wrong mate; I'd rather FSG to H&G but I always ask myself "Is that only because H&G were pure sh*te or because FSG are good?" So whilst I'm happy we aren't being robbed and I see where you are coming from: I fully understand that a lot of folk see similarities between the two.

On topic tho': I did read that whoopeedoo (or what ever the F**k they are called) 'said' "We want to sponsor the Stadium (possibly rename it)". Maybe this leaked "news" is merely a way of testing the water on that possibility?

For what it's worth; I would have no objections to them sponsoring anything and everything to do with the club except Anfield. If they want to sponsor a stadium - let them build us a new 80,000 seater. Or change their name to er... Anfield then sponsor it.   >:D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,466 posts | 3429 
      Reply #110: Apr 30, 2013 10:40:31 am
      I'm not.

If FSG don't have the money to take us forward, either from themselves or the other revenue streams they keep banging on about, then they should sell the club to someone who does.

Could you imagine the Bernabeu, Camp Nou or Old Trafford having naming rights?

Neither could I and our stadium is just as historical and well known worldwide.
      What the clubs you mention have got is a large  number of sponsors backing them, do you honestly think United haven't considered naming rights for OT, they'll sell their own gran to make a few quid. The simple fact is a the moment there aren't likely to be any takers for the club, maybe if and when Anfield gets redeveloped (if I'm still alive) so in the meantime we have to be realistic about where we are. I'm not blind to FSG's obvious faults but at the moment there is no knight in shining armour riding to our rescue.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #111: Apr 30, 2013 10:41:29 am
      I would much prefer the Qatari group buy FSG outright,there would be no need to rename Anfield unless they decided to build a new stadia and name it after their own company.

I know the Telecom name aint the best but if they play with it they could end with a catchy name.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #112: Apr 30, 2013 10:42:14 am
      Everyone here would welcome investment with open arms but not at the cost of selling the soul of this great and proud club. Anfield is an integral part of this club's history and many people of the footballing community arould the world are in awe of this great institution. If the name changes, all those great nights lose their charm and a part of this great club dies. Also, this could set a very bad precedent and then who knows where is it going to end.
      RedWilly

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #113: Apr 30, 2013 10:46:49 am
      Ultimately, once we go down this road there is no coming back. We'll become so reliant on that extra funding, that once the sponsorship expires, we'll find someone else to sponsor the name.

For those who bang on about Chelsea selling their soul for Romans billions, what is different about doing this? To me it's worse. 120 years of history, sold down the river and then expect to be grateful for it? Nah, not for me that and I doubt there will be much support from any fans for such a move.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,466 posts | 3429 
      Reply #114: Apr 30, 2013 10:51:52 am
      Ultimately, once we go down this road there is no coming back. We'll become so reliant on that extra funding, that once the sponsorship expires, we'll find someone else to sponsor the name.

For those who bang on about Chelsea selling their soul for Romans billions, what is different about doing this? To me it's worse. 120 years of history, sold down the river and then expect to be grateful for it? Nah, not for me that and I doubt there will be much support from any fans for such a move.
      Sadly that's the world we exist in now and the dilemas we face, without major investment from someone we'll be like this for a while having the same debate.

Quick Reply