Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who is the best ever Liverpool FC Captain?

Emlyn Hughes
      (18.4%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (52.6%)
      Ron Yeats
      (2.6%)
      Tommy Smith
      (2.6%)
      Sami Hyypia
      (2.6%)
      Alan Hansen
      (6.1%)
      Phil Thompson
      (0%)
      Graeme Souness
      (14.9%)
      Ronnie Whelan
      (0%)
      Glenn Hysen
      (0%)
      Jamie Redknapp
      (0%)

Who is the best ever Liverpool FC captain?

Read 12375 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2858 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Who is the best ever Liverpool FC captain?
      Reply #23: May 04, 2013 10:45:45 pm
      Hughes for me.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24: May 04, 2013 10:47:38 pm
      Added a Poll

Let me know if I've missed anyone.

Emlyn was my favourite, closely followed by Stevie and Alan Hansen as 3rd
      Jamie Redknapp.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #25: May 04, 2013 11:29:39 pm
      Emlyn number one followed by big Ron Yeats. Emlyn lifted the players around him with his enthusiam and humour. He always had a smile on his face and was cruelly cut down by the dreaded Big C much too early.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #26: May 05, 2013 11:36:32 am
      Emlyn had a personality you couldn't help being enthralled by, Ron Yeats a mountain of a man who usually got his own way and got done what he wanted, Anfield Iron, Tommy Smith put everything on the line every game, and Stevie G undoubtadly the best all round player of our captains, but Graham Souness. Nobody anywhere ever bossed and controlled a game like Souness. He even went the extrta mile, and if one of his players were being fouled unnecessarily, he would sort it out and that usually meant the old stretcher treatment for the offending player. Never been a player who could boss a game like him. And probably wont be again.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #27: May 05, 2013 12:19:29 pm
      f***in hell this is so hard, great thread tho, I became part of the family back in '77', back then I was a snivelling teenager and not totally appreciative of who was who and what not, we've had so many greats with the armband and I'm torn, in more recent times it has to be Stevie for the many many times he had dragged us thru matches almost single handed, he has not had the quality around him that others have had, going back to Shank's time big Ron has to be up there, but the there is the Anfield iron Tommy Smith, crazy horse Emlyn, Thommo, Souness, Jocky, Kenny etc,

Looking thru our history and reminiscing I'd be more inclined to choose these;

1 Tommy Smith
      2 Stevie Gerrard
      3 Greame Souness

real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #28: May 08, 2013 06:54:57 am
      Steven Gerrard for me. Wears the club's honours in his heart. I remember Stevie made his debut, saw his second game for the club and supporters were singing his name by then. There's only one Steven Gerrard, truly.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #29: May 08, 2013 09:21:48 am
      That's a tough one to call but in the end, I went for Gerrard as between him & Carragher, they have carried us for the last 10 years or so along with Hyppia.
      The number of times that Gerrard has gotten us out of jail while inspiring fight backs...I have lost count so the ones that matter are forever ingrained in me & I've been fortunate to see Hughes & Souness play albeit a youngster!

It was between him, Souness & Hughes for me as they all brought their own swashbuckling styles to LFC so on balance of inspiration & motivation, Gerrard has just shaded it...only just!

1. Gerrard
      2. Hughes
      3. Souness

Even Hansen would admit that Gerrard is a better captain that he ever was!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,528 posts | 3466 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #30: May 08, 2013 10:46:53 am
      Voted for Souness as a child of the 70's and 80's, like a lot of fans I didn't really love the guy but had a lot of respect for him, Emlyn second then Stevie for me.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #31: May 11, 2013 01:18:37 am
      Gotta be Souness for me - woulkd feel confident of us taking anyone on with him on the pitch.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #32: May 11, 2013 09:32:38 am
      Very different characters but Souness followed by Stevie for me.
      kylegib
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #33: May 17, 2013 08:47:37 pm
      I would say Gerrard as most of them played in teams that full of world class players. I have never seen a player that can take a game and turn it in his teams favour when all looks lost the way Gerrard can, two examples are the fa cup final against West Ham and the Champions League final 2005.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #34: May 18, 2013 03:50:16 pm
      I would say Gerrard as most of them played in teams that full of world class players. I have never seen a player that can take a game and turn it in his teams favour when all looks lost the way Gerrard can, two examples are the fa cup final against West Ham and the Champions League final 2005.
      True about Stevie.
      Good Post +1
      Welcome to LFCREDS .
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #35: May 18, 2013 11:07:21 pm
      Rowdy Yeats was captain when we were in the old second division,at the time the team could not be classed as world class. Under Bill Shankly and Rowdy we did become a world class team  and in my eyes many of them became world class players.Bill Shankly deserves full credit for having the wisdom to sign big Ron and St John as I believe those two players were the catalyst of the Anfield Revolution.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #36: May 18, 2013 11:37:41 pm
      Emlyn Hughes for me followed closely by Souness .
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #37: May 20, 2013 08:26:10 am
      Souness for me he had an aura about him as captain no other has had before or since.
      Ruthless self confidence coupled with footballing brilliance & a fabulous team.
      Losing was just not on the agenda when Souness was leading the side out..
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #38: May 20, 2013 08:46:11 am
      Sourness by a country mile for me,other teams would see his name on the team sheet and sh*t there pants.
      Fearsome,skillfull,and shot that could rip the net out of the posts.
      Quite handy in the tackling department aswell,ouch...
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #39: May 20, 2013 12:33:45 pm
      Gone for Souness too....was a beast of a player who would lead by example and could dominate a game all on his own. He also didn't take any Sh!t and wouldn't think twice about 'sorting out' players if he saw fit.
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #40: May 23, 2013 06:41:34 pm
      Emlyn for me although Im slightly too young to remember him properly .  My username is Wolves 76 for a reason.  He was instrumental in holding Liverpool together during a struggling first half on the night we were going for the title and Sir Bobs critical first trophy.   He also lifted the European Cup twice and as a leader he was outstanding.  Rest in peace Emlyn.
      TyrannaSuarezRex
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #41: May 25, 2013 03:32:09 pm
      Gerrard for me!

The best all-round footballer I am ever likely to see in my lifetime.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #42: May 26, 2013 12:47:30 am
      Emlyn for me although Im slightly too young to remember him properly .  My username is Wolves 76 for a reason.  He was instrumental in holding Liverpool together during a struggling first half on the night we were going for the title and Sir Bobs critical first trophy.   He also lifted the European Cup twice and as a leader he was outstanding.  Rest in peace Emlyn.

Emlyn for me too, didn't get to see him personally but it was pass down from my father of how outstanding he was.

My daughters name is Emma Lyn as it's the closest my wife would allow :)
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #43: May 26, 2013 12:52:41 am
      Have to go with Stevie G as he has been the epitome of what it means to be born a bred a red to this current generation. My generation.

Fair play to those of you who had the honor of witnessing such fantastic leaders of the past.

This

Unfortunately, I wasn't there to witness other captains, so I'll go with Gerrard
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #44: May 26, 2013 04:53:50 am
      I will let you into a little secret about Emlyn,he won every honour going with Liverpool except the League Cup.He transferred to Wolves in 1979 and guess what he won the league cup in his first season at Wolves.So Mighty Emlyn finished up with a full set and a few to spare.I can still picture Emlyn with a big grin on his face after scoring a goal for us,R.I.P Emlyn you were a goodin.
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #45: May 26, 2013 08:57:58 pm
      Thats right!  I remember being made up when Wolves won the league cup in 80 and not just because he completed his medal haul but also cos they managed to beat Nottingham Forest who I hated as a kid cos they kept knocking us out of cup competitions!   But you are spot on regarding his pleasure at helping Liverpool win...him picking up the European Cup against Bruges was when that grin was at his finest.   Or maybe being carried off the field at Wolves in 76 by our ecstatic fans after the third pitch invasion.  Fantastic memories from a fantastic captain. 

Quick Reply