Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?

Read 19502 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8616 
      Re: What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?
      Reply #23: May 18, 2013 06:48:15 pm
      Take a vow of silence for the next 12 months!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: May 18, 2013 07:03:05 pm
      Win. Works every time.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25: May 18, 2013 07:08:51 pm
      Rodgers knows what he needs to do. Just been on Talkshite.

That tw*t Jason Roberts has said he dodged well when asked about Suarez's future.

Anyway he's after The CL and anybody looking any lower than that should go and seriously give their head a wobble. Minimum requirement if he's backed:

Exclusive – Brendan Rodgers: Liverpool should be a top four club next season
      Liverpool manager Brendan Rodger told talkSPORT the Reds can mount a challenge on the Premier League top four next season, following an encouraging debut campaign at the helm of the Merseyside club.

The Northern Irishman’s appointment last summer thought to have marked the beginning of a transitional period at Anfield, following the departure of club legend Kenny Daglish.

And while it wasn’t a dream start for the former new boss’ Liverpool career, succumbing to surprise defeats to West Brom and former club Swansea, the January signings of attacking talents Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge have ensured the team end the season with the fourth-highest goal tally in the top flight.

The team have struggled with consistency but have undoubtedly improved as the season has progressed, and Rodgers insisted Liverpool can end their four-year Champions League exile next season and push for top four contention.

“In 12 months time I would like to think that we would be challenging for the top four, if not already being in the top four,” said the Liverpool boss.

“This isn’t a club in its history that has played second fiddle, this is a club that has a real rich history and the standards here are as high as anywhere else in the world.

“We’re fighting to improve that...we’re trying to build something here.

“We want to progress and one of the things we wanted to address was the consistency of the group, and over the course of the season we’ve become stronger and stronger.

“We’ve had one defeat in 11 games and when we go into games now we know we can score goals, whereas for the first six months of the season we played with just one striker.

“We know where we need to improve, we’ve finished in the top four in terms of goals scored but also in the top six in terms of goals conceded.

"We’ve drawn 13 games, which is an awful lot, but we’ve proven to be really hard to beat, so we’re looking to make those next steps next season and with some additions in the summer we feel there can be a great opportunity for us.

“I believe we can do that and sustain a challenge right from the off and make another step towards where we want to go.

“Obviously this is a football club that has a demand for trophies, so if we could get a trophy by then as well that would be great progress for us.

“It’s very important to see the development in the team because there’s been a lot of change at the club, but there’s a lot of great work that has been done and we’re very motivated.”

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/130518/exclusive-%E2%80%93-brendan-rodgers-liverpool-should-be-top-four-club-next-seaso-1978

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #26: May 18, 2013 07:58:42 pm
      It's simple for me Mick. All he has to do next season is make sure we are solid at the back and extremely hard to beat. Because if he does that, we'll pick the wins up.

For me, that's my biggest worry and probably only worry with Rodgers. Some of our organisation and structure at the back with set pieces and counter attacks has been concerning to say the least.

If he lands a suitable defender to step in for Carragher and we sort the shoddy defending out, I honestly believe that we'll do very well.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #27: May 18, 2013 08:42:45 pm
      So what would it take from Brendan to stop people secretly (or not) pining for a managerial change?

If come January we're out of both competitions and 20 odd points off top, then I think the chasm will open up in front of him.

I don't think he can afford to be 18th again after a quarter of the season like he was last year.  Goodwill amongst the Anfield crowd will certainly not stretch that far again.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #28: May 18, 2013 08:58:18 pm
      For starters he could stop saying we were "outstanding" every time we play like sh*te. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #29: May 18, 2013 09:35:56 pm
      Firstv off Brendan needs to turn Anfield back into the fortress it was famous for,then he has to bring consistency to the team.It is no good being world beaters one week then playing sh*te for the next 3 or 4 matches.If we follow the same pattern next season as we have this season then it could very well be curtains next season for Brendan.I hope he can turn things around because when we win I win and the whole world is a far happier place.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #30: May 18, 2013 09:37:04 pm
      Sing for England in the Eurovision Song Contest.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #31: May 18, 2013 09:56:33 pm
      Only way is to improve our results and show that we are indeed fighting for top 4 and progress better in domestic cups

simple
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #32: May 18, 2013 10:13:02 pm
      A thing I have been hearing about recently is because of English teams doing badly in Europe, the amount of CL places allocated to the Premier League is going to go down to 3 pretty soon if the trend continues. Apparantly Chelsea winning the CL last year and the Europa this year are the only reason we still have 4.

If it does go down to 3 that will be a disaster for us, as well as the likes of Spurs and Arsenal.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #33: May 18, 2013 10:31:03 pm
       A good transfer window and top four  >:(
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #34: May 18, 2013 10:54:56 pm
      Stop looking at players from Swansea that he wants to recruit.

Get our back 4 and set pieces sorted.

Use his 3 substitutions, if needed.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,299 posts | 4945 
      Reply #35: May 18, 2013 11:40:59 pm
      If come January we're out of both competitions and 20 odd points off top, then I think the chasm will open up in front of him.

I don't think he can afford to be 18th again after a quarter of the season like he was last year.  Goodwill amongst the Anfield crowd will certainly not stretch that far again.

Agree with this but also agree with Kenny who posted above you that one or two quality defenders and a lot of work on defending set pieces could see a massive difference in where we are next season.

Its a cliche but this summer is massive for the manager and if we are sitting midtable and our of one or two of the cups in January then the writing will be on the wall.

On the flip side if we get the right players in the summer I have seen evidence that we can challenge anyone in this league.

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #36: May 19, 2013 12:07:59 am
      Stop talking through his arse and get the job done pronto .
      KOP_MAN_96
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #37: May 19, 2013 12:10:21 am
      Well I really like Rodgers when Kenny first got sacked and we were being linked with Roberto Martinez I said that I'd rather have Rodgers. He's got the team playing brilliant football and from working at a small club like Swansea he knows how to make 'smart' and 'cheep' signings apart from Joe Allen *FACE PALM* and he seems to have he's head screwed on the right way and knows how to handle the media.

But I'm only 16 so what do I know :p
      KOP_MAN_96
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #38: May 19, 2013 12:16:28 am
      Some of you are probably sick to death of hearing this but you just have to give him time!! Even man u fans for the first 4 years wanted Ferguson gone didn't they?!
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #39: May 19, 2013 02:12:55 am
      I'm in a weird position on this as i want Rafa back but i also don't want Brendan sacked.

For next year to be a success for Brendan he must finish top four. I also expect us to challenge for both domestic cups. If he does that then i'll be a happy bunny.

If however we are still conceding the same cheap goals that we seem incapable of stopping now come the end of next season i will have serious doubts about the system and ultimately the manager implementing it.
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #40: May 19, 2013 08:05:21 am
      For all this talk of improvement, in the last 8 table on Soccerstats, we are 7th, exactly where we finished.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #41: May 19, 2013 08:43:18 am
      For some he has to win the league, go unbeaten concede 0 goals score 299 and win the 2 cups, that might do it.

For others I would say break top 4 and be a lot closer to the team who win it, beat clubs that finished higher then us a couple of times and as a bonus a wembley visit
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #42: May 19, 2013 08:47:20 am
      Make sure that when we concede one we close ranks, rather than collapse.

Thats  cost us more than anything else.
      We seem fragile at the back in that sense.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #43: May 19, 2013 10:02:28 am
      For all of Kenny's achievements in Kenny's second time in charge, it wasn't enough was it for some and Kenny got sacked to say it was not good enough that season. Brendan have achieve nothing this season compared to Kenny's previous except having the word progress as the tool to convince to say this season was a relative success. For all it's worth, i think it is double standards in terms of the history of our club's expectations for when every new season starts.

Win home and away against the Mancs, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and our blue neighbours next season will entrenched Brendan to the hearts of the faithful but another CL and cup failure like this season may not convince the owners though.
      TyrannaSuarezRex
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #44: May 19, 2013 02:30:35 pm
      I think a lot of focus needs to be placed on signing a ball-playing centre half that has real pace.

We are a lot more expansive when going forward as a unit, but this can sometimes cause problems when teams break against us.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,299 posts | 4945 
      Reply #45: May 19, 2013 08:19:44 pm
      I think a lot of focus needs to be placed on signing a ball-playing centre half that has real pace.

He doesn't have to be a ball player, just a CB with pace and the ability to read the game and defend like a proper defender.

Quick Reply