Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 13th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

End of Season awards

Read 5210 times
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      End of Season awards
      May 20, 2013 08:13:14 pm
      I thought there would have already been a topic for this but I couldn't find one. If I'm wrong, mods please point me in the right direction.

Obviously Suarez was top scorer with 23 league goals and 30 in all comps but there a few more categories to choose from:

Best Player: Has to be Suarez. Not just for us but he has been the best in the league full stop.
      As I assume Luis will get most people's votes for this category, feel free to mention a few others who you think have been impressive. I think Gerrard would be 2nd choice. He's been excellent all season and has had his best season since 08/09.

Best young player: I will go with Sterling as I was amazed with how he came into the team and performed like a senior from the start. Easy to forget as he's spent a while out of the side but I can't remember many 17 year olds having such an influential season at such a high level.

Most Improved playe
      r: I was going to give this to Henderson as I've been impressed with how he's answered his critics this season but I realised someone else is probably more deserving of this award - Jamie Carragher. Hasn't played as much as he'd have liked over the past few seasons but that's because he's not been as good as Skrtel and Agger. This season, like Gerrard, he had his best year since 08/09. Said so himself that he's happy to retire while he's playing and getting picked so I'm very happy that's how it turned out for him this season.

Goal of the season: A few stick out straight away. The Suarez free kick against City in the 2nd league game was fantastic and he had another against Udinese in the Europa League. Quite a few more Suarez ones stick out from games where he scored 2 or 3. Gerrard's against City  was a belter too and Johnson scored a cracker against West Ham in December. Sturridge has belted in a few beautys of recent also, but my goal of the season goes to Suarez against Newcastle. One of the most breathtaking pieces of skill you'll see all year. 2nd place to Enrique for the goal agaisnt Swansea at Anfield that had beautiful build up play involving Suarez and Sturridge.

Best moment of the season: Either on or off the pitch. There have been a few fantastic highs this season. Like Gerrard's winning pen against Spurs at home after an excellent performance, and some of the moments between Coutinho and Suarez and Sturridge when they first played together and started to click. But I will have to go with Suarez's celebration at Goodison in front of "The Chosen One". Absolutely brilliant way to silence him and wind up the blue idiots.

Signing of the season: Sturridge's goal record for us so far is truly excellent and he has given us something we haven't had for a long time, but I can't look past Coutinho. He's been unbelievably good and at times you scratch your head and wonder why Inter let him go for so cheap. If only we had him (Sturridge too) at the start of the season. Positive now is that we do have them for the start of next season.

Biggest disappointment of the season: Whether it be a signing or a game or a key moment. Again we've had a season of too many low points. The poor start leaving us with it all to do once again was a pain. Joe Allen's loss of form another one after he started so well. Yet another big Suarez incident an obvious one, as well as the ban that followed it. For me the biggest disappointment was the loss at home to West Brom. After a difficult spell of games where we battered City or Arsenal (despite only getting 2 draws) we came out of it with an 8 point gap between us and 4th I believe, and if we put together a good run of games we would have had a scrap for top 4, but that game was such a low blow. Another dominant performance where we couldn't put the ball in the back of the net and our opponents inevitably took their chances on the break. The home loss to United was sh*t as well due to the ridiculous decisions awarded in that game.

Best performance of the season: Both games against City were excellent despite only getting draws. The 6-0 thrashing of Newcastle was also brilliant, but I will go for the 3-2 against Spurs at home. Some great goals as well as a good fightback and most importantly, a result to match our performance.

Can't think of any more categories but feel free to add one if you think of any more!
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Re: End of Season awards
      Reply #1: May 20, 2013 10:26:47 pm
      Not gonna write much about each individual topic so I will give a WINNER and runner-up

Player of the season - SUAREZ, Gerrard
      Young Player of the season - HENDERSON, Sterling
      Most Improved player of the season - HENDERSON, Carragher
      Goal of the season - SUAREZvNewcastle, GerrardvCity
      Best moment of the season - (offpitch-Hillsborough truth revealed), (onpitch-Suarez diving celebration v Everton)
      Best signing of the season - COUTINHO, Sturridge
      Biggest dissapointment of the season - SKRTEL BACKPASS FOR CITY EQUALISER, 3-0 loss to WBA on 1st game
      Best performance of the season - SPURS 3-2@Home, Newcastle 6-0
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,517 posts | 2873 
      Reply #2: May 20, 2013 10:50:05 pm
      Player of the Season - Luis Suarez. Couldn't really be anyone else could it! Stepped up big time this year, considering we only had the one striker until January. Steven Gerrard a worthy runner up in my book, played brilliantly from October/November onwards in that deeper role.

Young Player of the Season - Jordan Henderson. Really seems to have gained some confidence this year. Passing with purpose, driving forward and adding some goals to his game. Been crucial in a few games as our performance really dipped when he came off. Raheem Sterling and Andre Wisdom are the runners up for me, both made great impressions at the start of the season.

Most Improved Player of the Season - Jordan Henderson. For the reasons above. Runner up - Luis Suarez.

Goal of the Season - Suarez v Newcastle - skill wise it was the best goal of the season full stop. Some real crackers to compete with though. Gerrard v City, Suarez himself v Zenit with his 2nd free kick and Jose Enrique capping off a brilliant team goal against Swansea.

Best Moment of the Season - Truth regarding Hillsborough.

Best Signing of the Season - Coutinho. What a player he is.

Biggest Disappointment of the Season - Not finding the winner against Zenit in the Europa League or the horrendous cup exit to Oldham.

Best performance of the Season - Udinese away, proper European away display there. Solid at the back, nick the goal and see it out. Newcastle away was brilliant too.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #3: May 20, 2013 11:43:25 pm

Biggest Disappointment of the Season - Not finding the winner against Zenit in the Europa League or the horrendous cup exit to Oldham.

Can't believe I forgot about that game. That really was awful.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #4: May 21, 2013 05:10:44 am
      Player of the season - Suarez

Young Player of the season - Henderson (though Coutinho would be if he played all season)

Most Improved player of the season - Henderson

Goal of the season - The Suarez one where Sturridge dummied it and let it through his legs

Best moment of the season - The instant connection between Sturridge-Suarez and Coutinho-Suarez when both signed. Will be class.

Best signing of the season - Can't split Cou and Sturridge

Biggest dissapointment of the season - 1st game of the season

Best performance of the season - Newcastle 6-0
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #5: May 21, 2013 07:57:50 am
      Player of the season - Luis Suarez
      Young Player of the season - Jordan Henderson
      Most Improved player of the season - Jose Enrique
      Goal of the season - Gerrard v City
      Best moment of the season - Carra's Final Game
      Best signing of the season - Joe Allen (**Kidding obv)  - Coutinho
      Biggest dissapointment of the season - Not beating United, City, Chelsea or Arsenal.
      Best performance of the season - Chelsea Away - 1-1. but a great performance.
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #6: May 21, 2013 08:34:57 am
      Player Of The Season - Luis Suarez (simply outstanding)

Young Player Of The Season - Philippe Coutinho (half a season performance brilliant enough)

Most Improved Player Of The Season - Stewart Downing (after 20mil = 0+0 in total last season)

Goal Of The Season - Luis vs Norwich 2nd goal (cool finish)

Best Moment Of The Season - Hillsborough (the real Truth revelation)

Best Signing Of The Season - Philippe Coutinho

Biggest Disappointment Of The Season - Did not improve on last season excitement

Best Performance Of The Season - Against Man City at Etihad, we rule them all over the field with our football.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #7: May 21, 2013 10:03:22 am
      Player of the season - Has to be Suarez, just for his sheer effort and determination. Been consistently scoring and we would be a lot lower without him. Coutinho would have been a good shout had he been around from the beginning.

Young Player of the season - For me, it has to be Henderson. Sterling was good but didn't play a lot of the second half of the season, what with Brendan looking after his development. However, for me, Hendo has been fantastic, consistent and has come on leaps and bounds. I am delighted for him. Always been a big fan.

Most Improved player of the season - Henderson once again for me. Had a difficult time in his first season and was often criticised, although I believe a lot of that criticism was unmerited. He has scored a few goals, set up a few and has stopped jumping out of as many tackles as he was previously known to do.

Goal of the season - Don't think many supporters will go for this option but in terms of what it meant at the time, the brilliance of the finish and the excitement it created, I would go for Suarez' free kick against Zenit at Anfield. Certainly one of my favourite moments of the season and I could watch the goal over and over again.

Best moment of the season - Mentioned Suarez' goal against Zenit already but from a football supporter in general, it has to be the findings of the Hillsborough panel and justice being delivered to the 96 who died at Hillsborough. Words cannot possibly describe what that meant for the city of Liverpool. Seeing the crowds that gathered in town was an indication as to how much it meant, not just to Reds but also Blues.

Best signing of the season - Easily Coutinho. He is one of the few footballers that you just love watching over and over again. Skilful, level headed and technically brilliant. Looking forward to the continuation of him linking up with his teammates next season, especially Suarez.

Biggest dissapointment of the season - Not many for me. It hasn't been a vintage season but I understand it is a season of transition. Would probably have to be not bring able to find the winning goal again Zenit after the effort put in.                Seeing Suarez close to tears at the end of the game in in itself was hard to take. Defeat to Oldham in the Cup was hard to take as well.

Best performance of the season - Think it has to be when we played City at the Etihad. We completely bossed them and were unlucky not to win, similar to the home fixture.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,676 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: May 21, 2013 10:22:02 am
      Player of the season - Suarez.

Young Player of the season - Coutinho.

Most Improved player of the season - Henderson.

Goal of the season - Suarez, like a sir, against Newcastle.

Best moment of the season - The Truth.

Best signing of the season - Coutinho and Sturridge for 20 Million.

Biggest disappointment of the season - Going out of the Europa league. Early season capitulations, mental weakness.

Best performance of the season - YNWA for Carra.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #9: May 21, 2013 10:33:52 am
      Call me lazy but:

Biggest disappointment of the season - Early season capitulations, mental weakness.

Best performance of the season - Newcastle 6-0, they didn't play as sh*t as pundits would suggest, we were excellent.

With only a slight edit, cheers Racerman. ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,676 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: May 21, 2013 10:34:57 am
      Call me lazy but:

Biggest disappointment of the season - Early season capitulations, mental weakness.

Best performance of the season - Newcastle 6-0, they didn't play as sh*t as pundits would suggest, we were excellent.

With only a slight edit, cheers Racerman. ;)

Mind Blown.

:laugh:
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #11: May 21, 2013 10:51:22 am
      Player of the season - Only one person here. The lad who single-handed carried us for half the season, Stevie was in poor form at the time before picking it up again to being probably our 2nd best player this season. Whereas this lad was brilliant all season long int erms of footballing. 23 league goals, 30 in all comps, it has to be Luis Suarez.

Young Player of the season - Like a few others, for me, it's down to two players; Henderson & Sterling. I'm gonna give it to Raheem Sterling for the lift he gave us all, and the way he was not fazed by the occasion from his first start v City to his last game of the season.

Most Improved player of the season - Hendo wins this one for me. Was at all sorts at the start of the season, was nearly forced out, ended up playing odd games in different positions before he really put the work in and earned the midfield spot for himself, be it in the middle or out wide/more attacking away from home. To say that most fans called for him to play from the start for a good few months now says it all. Big improvement from last season.  Downing did ok towards the last 3rd of the season too, in fairness.

Goal of the season - Suarez v Newcastle. Other mentions to Enrique v Swansea, Sahin v West Brom.

Best moment of the season -  Hillsborough panel finding. Justice.

Best signing of the season - Coutinho What a signing. 8.5 million, 20 years old. Can't go wrong. Such an exciting player.

Biggest dissapointment of the season - Suarez v Chelsea. Killed any enjoyment I had fot the game for about a week. The Oldham game, Zenit away, poor cups in general. Our performance's against West Brom in the league H&A. Our first half performance against United was also awful. Shelvey not kicking on in terms of his development too. Allen & Srktel have a good bit to answer for too.

Best performance of the season - Swansea @ home, Newcastle away, the Spurs win was big at the time too. Probably Newcastle away.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #12: May 21, 2013 10:55:28 am
      Player of the season - SUAREZ, Coutinho
      Young Player of the season - Coutinho
      Most Improved player of the season - HENDERSON
      Goal of the season - Suarez against Zenit (2nd goal)
      Best moment of the season - Beating a top 6 side Spurs because we weren't great
      Best signing of the season - COUTINHO, Sturridge
      Biggest dissapointment of the season - West Brom Home and Away, Stoke Home and Away (again), Reading Away, Skrtel back pass against City, Reina against City
      Best Performance: City away, we were superb
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,511 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #13: May 21, 2013 12:36:43 pm
      Call me a lazy, idea stealing fecker but:

Player of the season - Suarez - shudder to think what we would have done without him up until January

Young Player of the season - Coutinho - haven't had a buzz like this about a youngster for years. He will become one of the most coveted Number 10's in European football. If he played for United the media would have him down as the next Iniesta by now.

Most Improved player of the season -  Carragher. Was like a racehorse who'd legs had gone last year. This year he was our defence's saviour and his retirement has left a huge gap in many ways.

Goal of the season - Take your pick from the City and Zenit free kicks and the Newcastle goal amongst others. I'll go with the flow and say Newcastle because of the positive press he got from it.

Best moment of the season - I'll stay on matters on the pitch. The Chelsea game for sheer entertainment. It had Rafa's return on The Hillsborough anniversary weekend, a player biting another player and a NINETY SIXTH minute equaliser. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole game.

Best signing of the season - Coutinho - we stole him. What the f**k were Inter thinking?

Biggest disappointment of the season - a few to go on but the loss to Oldham was a low point.

Best performance of the season - I'll go with the Spurs win for the sheer fact it was the only time we beat a side above us. Big argument for tonking Newcastle at their place though.

With only a slight edit, cheers Racerman/Exiled.  ;)  ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #14: May 21, 2013 12:52:24 pm
      ;D

Lazy fuckers of the world unite!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,511 posts | 4850 
      Reply #15: May 21, 2013 12:54:35 pm
      ;D

Lazy fuckers of the world unite!

Na, can't be arsed.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #16: May 21, 2013 01:01:11 pm

;D

You win the title of King Lazy f**ker.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,511 posts | 4850 
      Reply #17: May 21, 2013 01:08:26 pm
      I'll accept that title as long as I can call it KLF if I ever have to write it or anything.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: May 21, 2013 02:09:25 pm
      Player of the season - Suarez, Gerrard
      Young Player of the season - Henderson, Sterling
      Most Improved player of the season - Henderson, Downing
      Goal of the season - Suarez v Newcastle, Enrique v swansea (team goal)
      Best moment of the season - Hillsborough success, Suarez everytime he played.
      Best signing of the season - Coutinho, Sturridge
      Biggest dissapointment of the season - Outplaying teams and not getting what we deserved- a victory (Man utd, spurs, aston villa, west brom, chelsea, arsenal to name a few.)
      Best performance of the season - Newcastle 6-0, norwich 5-0
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,516 posts | 8685 
      Reply #19: May 21, 2013 02:17:40 pm
      Player of the season - Luis Suarez
      Young Player of the season - Philippe Coutinho
      Most Improved player of the season - Jordan Henderson
      Goal of the season - Suarez v Newcastle
      Best moment of the season - HIP Report being released and everything that followed
      Best signing of the season - Philippe Coutinho
      Biggest dissapointment of the season - Oldham in the FA Cup, Zenit away in the Europa and Swansea at home in the League Cup
      Best performance of the season - Swansea 5-0 at home, Newcastle 6-0 away.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #20: May 22, 2013 11:09:57 am
      Player of the season : Luis Suarez
      Young player of the season : Jordan Henderson
      Most improved player of the season : Jordan Henderson
      Goal of the season : Luis Suarez Vs Newcastle
      Best moment of the season : The truth finally becoming unearthed. Suarez's dive in front of Moyes
      Worst moment of the season : Zenit away
      Best signing of the season : Coutinho
      Best performance of the season : Newcastle away
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: May 22, 2013 04:37:26 pm
      Player of the season : Suarez
      Young player of the season : Coutinho (may have only been here since January but he contributed far more than any other young player that we had here at the start of the season)
      Most improved player of the season : Henderson
      Goal of the season : Suarez vs Newcastle
      Best moment of the season : The truth about Hillsborough becoming public knowledge.
      Worst moment of the season : Suarez getting banned for 10 games
      Best signing of the season : Coutinho
      Best performance of the season : Newcastle away
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Reply #22: May 22, 2013 09:24:24 pm
      Best Player

I'm going to go against popular opinion here as my Player of the Season has been Gerrard. Slow start but as he founds his feet in the deep position he has been fantastic and his best season in quite a while.

Best young player

Jordan Henderson.

The manager almost sold him to Fulham for £5M if we believe the rumour but he forced himself into the side and proved easily good enough for our sqaud. Part of the side as we had our best spell of the season and his versatility has been impressive as well.

Most Improved player

Stewart Downing

Granted he had a lot of improving to do but he also responded to criticism from the manager and could easily have been playing somewhere else this season but he fought his way into the side and although still maybe not the best player we will have in his position going forward he was also a part of the team during our best spell.

Goal of the season

Suarez v Newcastle

Best moment of the season

HIP report on the Truth.

Signing of the season

Phillipe Coutinho

Hit the ground running and looks like he will possibly be our most important player next season. Big pressure.

Biggest disappointment of the season

Oldham and the cup runs, if you could call them that, in general. Nowhere near good enough.

Best performance of the season

Swansea 5-0.

Quick Reply