Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Simon Mignolet (Sunderland)

Read 25527 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Simon Mignolet (Sunderland)
      Jun 02, 2013 02:56:23 am
      Brendan Rodgers prepares £6.5m bid to bring Sunderland stopper Simon Mignolet to Liverpool
      1 Jun 2013 23:00

The Reds boss has been given the go-ahead by club chiefs to sign the Belgian goalkeeper as a replacement for the outgoing Pepe Reina
      Anfield bound? Simon Mignolet is set to replace Reina at Anfield Anfield bound? Simon Mignolet is set to replace Reina at Anfield
      Getty

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is to launch a £6.5million bid for Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, writes the Sunday People .

Rodgers is on the lookout for a new stopper to replace Pepe Reina, who is set to leave Anfield this summer.

Stoke’s Asmir Begovic has been on the radar but Black Cats No.1, Belgian star Mignolet, has now emerged as the man they want.

And Rodgers has the green light to make a formal offer. It is great news for the Reds boss, who has moved early in the transfer window with swoops for defender Kolo Toure and Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas.

Mignolet, 24, had a great season between the sticks at Sunderland, despite the club’s struggle.

Liverpool will now wait to hear back from Sunderland over their offer – and have a back-up plan in case they are turned down.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-brendan-rodgers-1926875#ixzz2V1JEaXRG
      Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Re: Simon Mignolet (Sunderland)
      Reply #1: Jun 02, 2013 03:00:11 am
      He is our number 1 for the national team and has really grown over the past 2 years at Sunderland. For 6.5m we could do a lot worse, he's still growing and would fit into our team very good.

Of course I rather Pepe stay with us
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Reply #2: Jun 02, 2013 03:28:38 am
      He is our number 1 for the national team and has really grown over the past 2 years at Sunderland. For 6.5m we could do a lot worse, he's still growing and would fit into our team very good.

Was watching a season highlights show yesterday and it had a "top 10 saves" of the year in the EPL and I noticed Mignolet was on there at least 2 or 3 times.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #3: Jun 02, 2013 04:42:18 am
      Cortouis will soon take over as our #1 but for now it has helped Mignolet grow into a better player than I thought he would when he left Belgium
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Jun 02, 2013 09:31:54 pm
      Not for me decent keeper but i would still rather Begovic but i cant see Reina leaving now for at least another season due to Valdes signing a year extension on his contract at Barca.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #5: Jun 05, 2013 01:14:45 am

Well he hasn't been number 1 since september, but he has some unreal competition from Courtois, so you can't blame him. I do believe he would be a very good addition to the team, but I'm not sure he wants to be a second choice somewhere.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Jun 05, 2013 08:09:27 pm
      Rather Begovic.

I'm sceptical about these kind if signings. Definitely want to see him perform for another 2 seasons before thinking he is good enough for us.

The gulf between a Pepe Reina and a Mignolet will show if he doesn't play to his best every week.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #7: Jun 05, 2013 08:21:39 pm
      Never really paid that much attention to him but I'm currently working with a Belgian bloke and he rates him very highly, says he is unlucky not to be #1.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #8: Jun 06, 2013 02:07:07 am
      Never really paid that much attention to him but I'm currently working with a Belgian bloke and he rates him very highly, says he is unlucky not to be #1.

He was the #1 in the euro2012 campaign, but the new coach picked Courtois ahead of him for the worldcup2014 campaign. I think rightly so, cuz Courtois is on his way to one of the worlds best goalkeepers. Unfortunately he's owned by Chelsea, otherwise we should have definitely put in a bid for him.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #9: Jun 06, 2013 12:12:17 pm
      I think rightly so, cuz Courtois is on his way to one of the worlds best goalkeepers.

Yeah, that's what he meant by "unlucky". It's the same as Reina, a lot of people have said that he would be number 1 for most countries but he is unlucky that Spain have some top keepers. The same can be said of Mignolet and Belgium.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #10: Jun 06, 2013 12:41:25 pm
      He was the #1 in the euro2012 campaign, but the new coach picked Courtois ahead of him for the worldcup2014 campaign. I think rightly so, cuz Courtois is on his way to one of the worlds best goalkeepers. Unfortunately he's owned by Chelsea, otherwise we should have definitely put in a bid for him.

Jose is going to give Courtois some time. I don't think they'll loan him out again. Honestly, Cortouis is going to take Chelsea to a new level at the back.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11: Jun 06, 2013 03:44:51 pm
      We won't be signing him now Reina is staying.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #12: Jun 13, 2013 11:40:29 am
      Papers are saying Liverpool still trying to sign him.  If Reina stays will they loan him or what?  A bit too good for an understudy.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #13: Jun 13, 2013 12:52:47 pm
      seems fishy like reina will go and mignolet will swiftly come in..
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Jun 13, 2013 09:22:52 pm
      Reports up North are saying bids been accepted.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #15: Jun 13, 2013 09:44:40 pm
      Do we really need an 8m back up keeper right now ?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Reply #16: Jun 13, 2013 09:45:33 pm
      Do we really need an 8m back up keeper right now ?

Who cares what he cost?

Is he better than Jones and can he fill in as needed for Reina? YES.

Sign him.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #17: Jun 13, 2013 09:47:51 pm
      Who cares what he cost?

Is he better than Jones and can he fill in as needed for Reina? YES.

Sign him.

Considering we're on a budget, it certainly matters what he costs.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #18: Jun 13, 2013 09:50:16 pm
      Back up for a season and then Number 1?

Indy saying they want £9 million:

Exclusive: Arsenal and Liverpool told it will take £9m to prise Simon Mignolet from Sunderland

By Martin Hardy

Brendan Rodgers is reported in signing the Sunderland keeper as Barcelona seek potential replacement for Victor Valdes

Arsenal and Liverpool have been told they will have to pay at least £9m to land the Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

Both clubs have now made approaches to Sunderland to sign the Belgian keeper, who is eager to leave the Stadium of Light. However neither Arsenal nor Liverpool have been able to reach the minimum asking fee for the 25-year-old.

Sunderland have reluctantly decided to sell the keeper, who was their player of the year for the season just finished. Mignolet has two years left on the contract he signed when he arrived from Sint-Truiden in 2010 for £2m and club bosses fear they will lose value if they do not sell now. They have also been swayed by Mignolet's wishes to leave the Stadium of Light and move to a higher profile club to help his international aspirations ahead of next year's World Cup finals in Brazil.

Arsenal's intention to make a move for the goalkeeper was revealed in the Independent in April. Arsene Wenger wants the emerging Mignolet as his number one next season as he prepares to embark on a crucial season and has the added incentive of offering Champions League football to help the goalkeeper's international ambitions.

Liverpool are preparing for the possibility of life without Pepe Reina but Brendan Rodgers must convince Mignolet to move to a club that cannot even offer Europa League football next season.

Sunderland had hoped for a figure of £10m but have accepted Mignolet's contract situation has cost them. They did try to renegotiate his deal earlier in the year but talks did not develop. Sunderland are also prepared to sell their forward Stephane Sessegnon. They want at least the £6m that was paid to sign the Benin international from Paris St Germain in 2011. Marseille have shown an interest but there has been no offer for the striker.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/exclusive-arsenal-and-liverpool-told-it-will-take-9m-to-prise-simon-mignolet-from-sunderland-8656947.html

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #19: Jun 13, 2013 10:04:52 pm
      Back up for a season and then Number 1?

Yeah something like that could be the case. Would still be absolutely gutted to see Pepe leave though :(
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Reply #20: Jun 13, 2013 10:07:16 pm
      Considering we're on a budget, it certainly matters what he costs.

Point being, what you or I think of the cost doesn't matter, it matters what the money men and Rodgers think.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #21: Jun 13, 2013 10:11:39 pm
      It's a fair price for a replacement for Reina. Perhaps we can buy him and loan him to Sunderland until Reina leaves.  I'm sure BR will offer that solution.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #22: Jun 13, 2013 10:12:23 pm
      Point being, what you or I think of the cost doesn't matter, it matters what the money men and Rodgers think.

Maybe it doesn't matter but it's there to be discussed mate. If not then JD might as well shut up shop.

Quick Reply