Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. VOTE: Where will Liverpool finish in 2013/14? (Poll date: June 2013)

Champions
      11 (6.1%)
      Runners Up
      3 (1.7%)
      3rd or 4th, Champions League places
      99 (55%)
      5th, Europa League place
      48 (26.7%)
      6th to 8th
      17 (9.4%)
      9th to 12th
      0 (0%)
      Even lower
      2 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Voting closed: Jul 02, 2013 10:09:10 am

2013/14 - Where will we finish?

Read 29506 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: 2013/14 - Where will we finish?
      Reply #92: Jun 22, 2013 10:59:50 am
      The difference being, we spend the money we have. They rarely (if at all) spend the money they have.

Didn't think I'd have to say it but I was joking.

I did, in fact, vote for 'Runners Up' because I believe that things are on the up for us but it might just take another go after this. For what it's worth (if you haven't already guessed) I have little or no time for Wenger and his notion that Gunner fans should be happy with finishing top four (but trophyless).
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #93: Jun 22, 2013 12:09:35 pm
      Didn't think I'd have to say it but I was joking.

Really?! ???

I was simply stating a fact in response to your tongue-in-cheek statement. I'm not stupid.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #94: Jun 25, 2013 01:25:28 pm
      I think we have the ability to finish top 4 but it all depends on what the other teams around us do, think everton will slip and so will SPurs when they loose bale. we will be ok without Suarez as Sturridge and Coutinho will develop a great partnership. Aspas & Alberto are gambles but so was Coutinho and look how he's paid off easily worth 15mil now after 1/2 a season.
      Lets hope moyes ruins MUFC and that city struggle to adapt to a new manager, hopefully AVB leaves spurs and takes Bale with him and any replacement they get fails. 5th is realist aim but we have to aim hight i suppose.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #95: Jun 26, 2013 01:57:54 pm
      I'd be surprised if we don't finish 3rd at least!...we just need to beat the other contenders at home as we have shown last year that we can squat the cannon fodder so no reason why we can't do it again the next season!
      The key is to beat the other contenders at home & nick draws/wins against them away, again, no reason to why we can't do that either!

That's basing it on without Suarez as last 4 games without him, we haven't missed his goals as the others have stepped up.
      There is no one that I would be apprehensive playing against these days such is my confident in our set-up of play, & now with recent quality additions & possibly more to the squad will only serve to enhance that belief further.

Just my tuppence!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #96: Jun 26, 2013 02:17:22 pm
      Interesting table there Res.
      Agree with Chavs and the Scum placing.
      Nothing lasts for ever and Utds place in the sun having taken two decades to catch us I believe is over.

I want nothing more than BR to bring us in to a CL place and I want nothing more than to finish first again.
      Ill bet DLS has put that in the poll as where he wants us to be!

I want BR to end up being an inspired signing.
      I dont want soundbites from him or the club. I just want 3 points from as many games as possible.
      I want to see his win ratio up there with Mourinho Klopp and De Boer ..... because he manages Liverpool Football Club.

Ive put third or fourth. I hope we get there.
      No Euro football. No excuses.

If we dont then BR has no hiding place.

....  and for starters we need to be in the top 5   at 31/12/ 13

Like we always were in the sixties . In the mix .
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #97: Jun 28, 2013 09:06:13 pm
      Do they tack on a few extra points for style...?

Daniel Sturridge first goal for Liverpool
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #98: Jun 30, 2013 03:13:56 am
      Without Luis Suarez we're taking a massive step backwards,but with the progress so far and hopefully a few more to come we could possibly jump 2 steps forward.We didn't look too bad last year for the games we were without him and i'm confident we will build on that and finish at least 10 points better off than last season.

Will that be enough to get top 4 ? Too hard to call,Arsenal look like there set to spend significant money and Chelsea will surely improve under Mourinho.It's gonna be a big ask hopefully we get some luck this season.God knows we haven't in the last few years.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #99: Jun 30, 2013 10:22:07 am

Very presumptive statement right there. No concrete indication that he wants to leave.

If we keep him and sign all the players we're rumoured to be signing, do you think we'd be top four? I personally think we'd be title challengers. Easily.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #100: Jun 30, 2013 11:03:44 am
      With or without Luis I still think we can break back into the top four. We are strengthening our whole squad and we have a variety of options up front. Borini is looking more promising than he ever has with us, Sturridge ended the season on a high and Iago is supposed to be quite good. (haven't seen much of him to give my own opinion though)

If we can bring in Mickey and another CB I think we will be laughing, could even be 2nd or 3rd. It's not about splashing 150m on five players. If we can get 5 or 6 for less than 50m who are young, promising and full of potential/already proven in respective leagues I think we will realise a lot more value out of that. Especially on wages which allows us more wiggle room in terms of bring in new recruits.

I'm optimistic we can do well for the first time in years. We have had an awful rough patch of chopping and changing and now is time to look to the future.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #101: Jun 30, 2013 12:43:41 pm
      with UTD, Chelsea and City all having new managers a good start could mean we could have a great season.
      My heart says we can build upon a good start and stick in there until Jan and really compete but my head say different.
      I have a feeling that Brendan would be a good manager to have if we get on top so if we do well in the first 6 games I think we will do well all season.
      Ah F**k it were going to win the league and cup double
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #102: Jun 30, 2013 02:48:02 pm
      Very presumptive statement right there.
      Isn't your whole thread presumptive?  ???  It's June and the window hasn't even officially opened. As of today we have no idea who any of our competitors are getting, if Suarez is leaving, or if Mkhitaryan is coming. Yet you're asking where we'll finish.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #103: Jun 30, 2013 02:55:54 pm
      with UTD, Chelsea and City all having new managers a good start could mean we could have a great season.
      My heart says we can build upon a good start and stick in there until Jan and really compete but my head say different.
      I have a feeling that Brendan would be a good manager to have if we get on top so if we do well in the first 6 games I think we will do well all season.
      Ah F**k it were going to win the league and cup double
      Why so pessimistic?

We're gonna win the treble.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #104: Jun 30, 2013 05:10:55 pm
      Very presumptive statement right there. No concrete indication that he wants to leave.

If we keep him and sign all the players we're rumoured to be signing, do you think we'd be top four? I personally think we'd be title challengers. Easily.
      Title challengers ? You're living in dream world if you think that ! When has a team come from 7th place to title challengers in a single season.In modern days this has proven to be impossible.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #105: Jun 30, 2013 05:13:16 pm
      If we can't have a bit of fun and be optimistic now what chance do we have when the season starts.I personally think this will be the most open league for a long time and why shouldn't we be in the mix.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #106: Jun 30, 2013 05:23:08 pm
      If we can't have a bit of fun and be optimistic now what chance do we have when the season starts.I personally think this will be the most open league for a long time and why shouldn't we be in the mix.
      Look at the strength and depth in the United,City,Chelsea teams and then look at ours ! You have to have a screw lose to think we can magically up our points tally by about 20 points on last year.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #107: Jun 30, 2013 06:55:17 pm
      4th
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #108: Jun 30, 2013 07:06:07 pm
      Isn't your whole thread presumptive?  ???  It's June and the window hasn't even officially opened. As of today we have no idea who any of our competitors are getting, if Suarez is leaving, or if Mkhitaryan is coming. Yet you're asking where we'll finish.

It's a thread that gets started every year, nobody had made it yet so I took the time out to do it.

Hardly presumptive, just a bit of fun. Can't say the same for your post though.

Look at the strength and depth in the United,City,Chelsea teams and then look at ours ! You have to have a screw lose to think we can magically up our points tally by about 20 points on last year.

A screw loose? Is that what they call "belief" these days?

My God, some of you people must be a right joy to be around!
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #109: Jun 30, 2013 07:42:39 pm
      Im not even thinking about where we will finish next season.

The most important thing to me at the moment is the mentality we are going to start the season with. Last season is history....next season is all that matters.

Its time players at Liverpool were put under real pressure...to see who is upto it, to see who rises to it, to see those who are not upto it and worse still to see those who are just not up for it. Mediocrity has been accepted for too long at Liverpool Fc. Players are stuck in a comfort zone getting large rewards for mediocre performance.

So...for this upcoming season...the mentality and expectation of this squad....a squad representing Liverpool Football Club and all it stands for is to challenge towards the top of the league and keep them honest all season. Anything else is a failure as far as im concerned. Those expectations will bring pressure...some will rise to it, some will thrive on it...others will just fall by the wayside but its better to root them out rather than carry them.

To reach the top you have to consistantly set high standards...you have to accept nothing less than the best. If you are not capable of that you should not be at this great club. Sometimes it will be harsh...but sport at the top level is no picnic. For too long at Liverpool too many have been enjoying just that.

To finish...if I hear any Liverpool player spouting off about 'getting that 4th place' before the season starts I will seriously lose my rag as that kind of talk does my head in. Its negative and defeatest before we have even started.

So mentality is what it is all about to me....and these players knowing exactly what is expected of them and that nothing less will be acceptable.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #110: Jun 30, 2013 08:02:40 pm
      that's why its fun at this point to be optimistic because at this point there is nothing to be downcast about as a ball has yet to be kicked.
      I don't know anyone who thinks Moyes will do well, Pellegrini is new and Maureen hasn't got Drogba so if we can improve we must be able to improve our position.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #111: Jun 30, 2013 09:25:37 pm
       Had a respectable Chelsea fan come up to me yesterday (there are a few, honestly) and he asked me if I was dreading this season. Really odd, but he was saying he fears the worst for us if Suarez goes ("the best player in the league, nobody could afford to lose him, your owners aren't backing the manager" etc) and we had a bit of banter over it. I don't see it the same way he does at all (and I've had quite a few fans of different clubs saying to me that they think we'll struggle this season).

I really think we'll surprise a few people, many of them our own fans, and I think we'll have a storming season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #112: Jun 30, 2013 09:43:17 pm
      I really think we'll surprise a few people, many of them our own fans, and I think we'll have a storming season.

Micks just signed our death warrant, normally when he makes such grand statements, the exact opposite happens ;D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #113: Jun 30, 2013 09:50:21 pm
      if you can't be optimistic at this point why bother.We still have all of July to go so everything is still on.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #114: Jun 30, 2013 09:54:10 pm
      if you can't be optimistic at this point why bother.We still have all of July to go so everything is still on.

Because you know its impossible to jump from 7th to 1st, same as the game was beyond us at half time in Istanbul.

Nothing is impossible, well excluding trying to get into Cheryl Coles knickers, that didn't go down too well, especially as they were still on her washing line.

Quick Reply