Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Iago Aspas (Liverpool -> Sevilla -> Celta Vigo)

Read 75016 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Re: Iago Aspas Player Thread
      Reply #161: Jun 29, 2013 11:57:46 am
      Think I said it before but the more I see and read about him, reminds me a bit off Craig Bellamy.

you are not the only one, the La liga "expert" who was giving interview to the official site. He was saying that Iago is like craig bellamy.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #162: Jun 29, 2013 12:46:05 pm
      you are not the only one, the La liga "expert" who was giving interview to the official site. He was saying that Iago is like craig bellamy.

He has a bit of quality, speed and feistiness about him, something we've been missing. Looking forward to seeing him play.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #163: Jul 04, 2013 10:23:35 am
      Think I said it before but the more I see and read about him, reminds me a bit off Craig Bellamy.

Well, i know F**k all about this lad but if he's anything like Bellamy then he'll be a massive hit here. I'll always forgive a fighter and a trier.

Welcome to Liverpool Football Club Iago.

Get your head down and work hard.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #164: Jul 09, 2013 03:31:47 pm
      Have high hopes for this lad. He's got ability and fire in his belly. A good combination.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #165: Jul 15, 2013 08:48:44 pm
      I may have missed the praise in the Preston match thread but I'm a little surprised to see Iago's thread slipping quietly down the board. I thought he had a decent half, even if you think the keeper should have stopped his goal. He was lively and enthusiastic, he made himself available for the ball with some great positioning and played some excellent balls through to others as well. He seems to enjoy playing facing the goal, ie. stepping back to receive the ball in front of him. Very promising debut and I suspect that Sturridge will benefit from having Iago on the pitch.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #166: Jul 15, 2013 10:34:53 pm
      Good assist and a cracking goal, some more of that next season lad!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #167: Jul 15, 2013 11:09:05 pm
      I may have missed the praise in the Preston match thread but I'm a little surprised to see Iago's thread slipping quietly down the board. I thought he had a decent half, even if you think the keeper should have stopped his goal. He was lively and enthusiastic, he made himself available for the ball with some great positioning and played some excellent balls through to others as well. He seems to enjoy playing facing the goal, ie. stepping back to receive the ball in front of him. Very promising debut and I suspect that Sturridge will benefit from having Iago on the pitch.

There was quite a bit of praise Rep, but it's a fair point you raise. I knew roughly what we were getting beforehand and think this lad will be a very good asset for us. Played well on his debut that's for sure and I expect nothing less every time he plays, very good buy I feel.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #168: Jul 16, 2013 12:24:40 am
      I think he looked like an intelligent player who works hard and has good technical ability. Very promising!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #169: Jul 28, 2013 04:19:22 pm
      Didn't know anything about the lad when we signed him but I've been impressed with him thus far.

Most pleasing thing is not the number of goals he's scoring (though that too is great) but the fact he's scoring different types of goals. A screamer from outside the box against Preston. tap in on the line against Melbourne and a well composed finish in a one on one situation today.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #170: Jul 28, 2013 04:21:15 pm
      I think he looked like an intelligent player who works hard and has good technical ability. Very promising!
      Agreed mate. Just from 4 games I watched him in match video so can say it's a bit early but I confident he will be a (at least) good signing for us.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,176 posts | 265 
      Reply #171: Jul 28, 2013 04:22:58 pm
      Didn't know anything about the lad when we signed him but I've been impressed with him thus far.

Most pleasing thing is not the number of goals he's scoring (though that too is great) but the fact he's scoring different types of goals. A screamer from outside the box against Preston. tap in on the line against Melbourne and a well composed finish in a one on one situation today.
      I think so DLS.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #172: Jul 28, 2013 07:29:04 pm

Good assessment, he doesn't appear a world beater like Luis but he seems to always be where he should be and makes the plays a striker should make.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #173: Jul 28, 2013 07:41:32 pm
       I'm going to swim against the tide a bit here, I've been unimpressed so far. I can't really work out where he's going to fit in or what he's going to do, he looks to me like a kind of bits and pieces player who I think we've paid toppish dollar for. He doesn't look to have any pace to speak of, looks a bit one footed and isn't imposing physically. It doesn't stick to him well enough on occasions, and he hasn't (so far) overly impressed me with his movement either. If Sturridge is fit or we still have Suarez/a credible replacement for him if he goes then he isn't going to get a game down the centre, and I don't see him being able to adapt and play wider (like say Borini can).

No, I'm a bit underwhelmed by him so far, but hopefully those who like him will be proven correct.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #174: Jul 28, 2013 08:53:17 pm
      I'm going to swim against the tide a bit here, I've been unimpressed so far. I can't really work out where he's going to fit in or what he's going to do, he looks to me like a kind of bits and pieces player who I think we've paid toppish dollar for. He doesn't look to have any pace to speak of, looks a bit one footed and isn't imposing physically. It doesn't stick to him well enough on occasions, and he hasn't (so far) overly impressed me with his movement either. If Sturridge is fit or we still have Suarez/a credible replacement for him if he goes then he isn't going to get a game down the centre, and I don't see him being able to adapt and play wider (like say Borini can).

No, I'm a bit underwhelmed by him so far, but hopefully those who like him will be proven correct.

Baffled as to how you can make such as assessment on a player who has just joined us after leaving his home country for the first time and settled into the team almost instantly scoring three goals and assisting in a couple more. Baffled.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #175: Jul 28, 2013 09:26:19 pm
      Baffled as to how you can make such as assessment on a player who has just joined us after leaving his home country for the first time and settled into the team almost instantly scoring three goals and assisting in a couple more. Baffled.

Is right!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #176: Jul 28, 2013 09:33:47 pm
       Well I'll either be bafflingly clueless in a few months or bafflingly accurate. I've never been one to take too long to have an opinion about a player. He's "settled into the team almost instantly" in kickabout friendlies, and even then that is some way off my assessment. He's scored three goals too which is nice, but we'll see. All opinions at the end of the day.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #177: Jul 28, 2013 10:42:09 pm
      Know practically nothing about this dude. Think I read he was a battler or something, but that's about it. If he turns out to be a player, then all credit to the scouts/BR cause he seems edge-of-radar material. Would be great to unearth a good find though, and we could be doing with a couple. So good luck to him!!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #178: Jul 29, 2013 12:21:59 am
      Looks like a cracking player.  Really impressed by his technical skill, just what I've been saying we need: all attacking players have to be able to beat a man when they're cornered, Aspas can do it, he's great as a striker but shows he can also play on the wing.  Can't wait to see him this season.

However, he must rank up there on the list of ugliest players ever to put on the Liverpool jersey.   ;D

Wonderful addition!
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #179: Jul 29, 2013 12:56:16 am
      From what I've seen definitely worth what we paid for.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #180: Jul 29, 2013 01:12:29 am
      Watched the game against Melbourne live and one thing that sticks out in quality and smart players is movement.

Him and Gerrard have great movement and positioning in their respected position. Stevie was amazing to watch makes it look so easy where ever he goes the ball seems to find him Iago was much the same, had a great game against Thailand also looked sharp and miles ahead of Borini.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #181: Jul 29, 2013 01:13:26 am
      Watched the game against Melbourne live and one thing that sticks out in quality and smart players is movement.

Him and Gerrard have great movement and positioning in their respected position. Stevie was amazing to watch makes it look so easy where ever he goes the ball seems to find him Iago was much the same, had a great game against Thailand also looked sharp and miles ahead of Borini.

Aspas looked to me like he always had an understanding of the best play to make, never seemed to take it on himself when the better option was to pass and vice versa?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #182: Jul 29, 2013 01:14:48 am
      Aspas looked to me like he always had an understanding of the best play to make, never seemed to take it on himself when the better option was to pass and vice versa?

Yeah mate great vision awareness and movement is what that is.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #183: Jul 29, 2013 05:14:42 am
      I see that too.  :)  That drop off to Gerrard today for Stevie's goal was just another example. Very savvy player. I think he will work especially well with Coutinho. Very early of course but I've been impressed. 

Quick Reply