Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Legends of the Past

Read 7598 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Legends of the Past
      Reply #23: Jun 13, 2013 12:13:06 pm

The guy is a legend. Really admire him for his professionalism and his quality. The goal he scored against us at the Ataturk was a beauty.

Grew up watching a lot of Italian football and Batigoal featured a hell of a lot. Great player.

Another player who featured heavily is this man. He was my brothers hero and he taught me of his brilliance.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: Jun 13, 2013 01:57:43 pm
      The guy is a legend. Really admire him for his professionalism and his quality. The goal he scored against us at the Ataturk was a beauty.

Grew up watching a lot of Italian football and Batigoal featured a hell of a lot. Great player.

Another player who featured heavily is this man. He was my brothers hero and he taught me of his brilliance.

I think those were the days for Italian football. Their league was unreal back then.

I'm a huge fan of Batistuta and Baggio as well. I remember Batistuta at Fiorentina very well. He was great for Argentina too. As for Baggio, in Brazil he'll be forever remembered for that penalty miss in the WC 94 Final. To this day, when someone skies a penalty in a game here, it's not unusual to see someone shouting "Roberto Baggio!" as a joke.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: Jun 13, 2013 06:36:36 pm
      I do like my defenders especially if they played for Milan! Here's Cafu.

I think it was Clive Tyldsley in Istanbul who commented 'How much Shredded Wheat does he eat in the morning?' Great player.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #26: Jun 13, 2013 06:54:41 pm
      Cafu is the only player ever to have played in 3 successive World Cup finals (94, 98, 02), winning 2. In 1994 he wasn't even a starter for Brazil but Jorginho was injured (or suspended? Can't recall) so he started in the final.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #27: Jun 13, 2013 07:58:02 pm

Rivaldo. Another of my favourite ever players, his hat-trick against Valencia, sealing it with a last minute over-head kick (from outside the box!) to get them into the Champions League will always stick in the memory.

I could go all day in this thread, the early 2000 era had so many players who I adored.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28: Jun 13, 2013 09:06:59 pm
      I loved Rivaldo too. Before 2002 he had a fame in Brazil of being a 'club' player, that is, of playing better for Barcelona than the national team. But while it might have been true for a few friendlies and lesser competitions, it was extremely unfair in terms of the only competition that really matters: the World Cup. I think he was really good in 1998 and then excellent in 2002 - the best player of that tournament IMO.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #29: Jun 13, 2013 09:18:54 pm
      I loved Rivaldo too. Before 2002 he had a fame in Brazil of being a 'club' player, that is, of playing better for Barcelona than the national team. But while it might have been true for a few friendlies and lesser competitions, it was extremely unfair in terms of the only competition that really matters: the World Cup. I think he was really good in 1998 and then excellent in 2002 - the best player of that tournament IMO.
      That 2002 attack was incredible wasn't it? Rivaldo and Ronaldo, with Ronaldinho aswell. Still remember the free-kick he scored at Anfield for Olympiakos :D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #30: Jun 14, 2013 11:12:28 am
      That 2002 attack was incredible wasn't it? Rivaldo and Ronaldo, with Ronaldinho aswell. Still remember the free-kick he scored at Anfield for Olympiakos :D

The Ro-Ro-Ri :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #31: Jun 22, 2013 10:36:24 pm

Rivaldo. Another of my favourite ever players, his hat-trick against Valencia, sealing it with a last minute over-head kick (from outside the box!) to get them into the Champions League will always stick in the memory.

I have two clear memories of Rivaldo. One where he was rolling about holding his face near the corner flag to get a player sent off who kicked a ball at his shin in the world cup against Turkey and his free kick he scored for Olympiakos at Anfield where Chris Kirkland watched helplessly on as it went past him, only for us to go on and win 3-1.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #32: Jun 22, 2013 11:38:29 pm
      I have two clear memories of Rivaldo. One where he was rolling about holding his face near the corner flag to get a player sent off who kicked a ball at his shin in the world cup against Turkey and his free kick he scored for Olympiakos at Anfield where Chris Kirkland watched helplessly on as it went past him, only for us to go on and win 3-1.

Also remember his outrageous shot which Westerveld had to tip over in the Uefa Cup semi in 2001

Liverpool vs Barcelona - 2001

About 50 seconds in.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #33: Jun 22, 2013 11:58:39 pm
      Anyone remember Rivaldo's overhead kick against the manc cu*ts? What a legend of a player!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34: Jun 23, 2013 03:06:45 am
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey5uYF-TNd0

Used to love Paolo Futre.
      Wonderful Portuguese player.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #35: Jun 24, 2013 06:49:05 pm
      Also remember his outrageous shot which Westerveld had to tip over in the Uefa Cup semi in 2001

Liverpool vs Barcelona - 2001

About 50 seconds in.
      god bless Gary Mac.We could really do with him and another Sami right now
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #36: Jun 24, 2013 07:34:48 pm
      Used to love Christian Vieri, think he could have won more though, so much talent.

Quick Reply