Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 314908 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #1334: Nov 09, 2015 11:50:38 pm
      I have already stated that Mignolet can be upgraded on, and that his distribution is poor at best.

I'm arguing over the point that one poster in particular says he isn't a good shot stopper. I disagree with that and the stats he uses.

I have said that Lallana IMO is a squad player, and feck knows what your on about re Benteke because if you can find a quote that says I'd "readily get rid of him" then I'll apologise. But I think it's you who will be found 'putting words into peoples' mouths' on this point.

You're trying to change the subject, I don't care about you arguing about him being a good shot stopper, no one is really disputing that. The thing you are arguing is that I am a buffoon for suggesting that Mignolet lost us the game, something that I never suggested in the first place. I said that his mistake cost us the goal, that is undisputed. His goalkeeping ability as a whole is lower level Premier League. His shot stopping is mid to high level Premier League level, nothing close on a Dea Gea, Cech or Courtois.

As for the other points I believe you posted you'd get rid of him in the 'players for the chop' thread, apologies if not. However you have definitely bashed him time and time again despite admitting your bias against target men in general and I'm yet to really see you give him credit where it's due, ironic since you're blowing that horn for Migs when quite frankly no credit is due in most cases.

I find it boggling that you bash Benteke a man who has won us points this year compared to Mignolet who has and will continue to lose us points. I think you're too stubborn to hold your hands up and say 'alright maybe he is sh*te'. Like I said earlier, he's not a scapegoat, he's just not good enough, never has been and never will be.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1335: Nov 10, 2015 12:02:08 am
      Well I like him  ;D :f_sorry:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1336: Nov 10, 2015 12:14:20 am
      You're trying to change the subject, I don't care about you arguing about him being a good shot stopper, no one is really disputing that.

You are trying to change the subject by using Lallana and Benteke as barometers to measure my moroness.

I would advise you to read back, look at what I have posted to KopiteLuke, he is disputing the very point you say nobody is. That is the only point I am disputing about Mignolet here. Well, other than the fact that he comes under the microscope again if we lose or draw; when in effect, our entire team against Palace were sh*te, jaded on their legs, and lost the battle in other key areas of the field, so why he get's singled out time and time again baffles me.

The thing you are arguing is that I am a buffoon for suggesting that Mignolet lost us the game, something that I never suggested in the first place

Ah, so it's me calling you a buffoon you are talking about. You said you worry about me if I thought he had a good game, he was no worse than many of his team mates. I thought you implied he was the reason we lost, if you didn't mean that, again I apologise and retract my buffoon comment.

As for the other points I believe you posted you'd get rid of him in the 'players for the chop' thread, apologies if not. However you have definitely bashed him time and time again despite admitting your bias against target men in general and I'm yet to really see you give him credit where it's due, ironic since you're blowing that horn for Migs when quite frankly no credit is due in most cases

Actually, I may have had him down for the chop in that thread - your memory of my posts is startling if not scary. Yes, under Rodgers, I couldn't see how he fits into the system often employed by Rodgers.

And yes, personally, I'm not a favourite of target men - that isn't a crime is it. I'm not a lover of Sam Alladyce football, however, I will credit Benteke and have done when it's due. But, Sunday was his worst performance in a Liverpool shirt IMO, and I think he's more culpable for the the fact we didn't win rather than his fellow countryman between the sticks.

I find it boggling that you bash Benteke a man who has won us points this year compared to Mignolet who has and will continue to lose us points. I think you're too stubborn to hold your hands up and say 'alright maybe he is sh*te'. Like I said earlier, he's not a scapegoat, he's just not good enough, never has been and never will be

I 'bashed' him, on one performance. Some of your mates on here also did. And like I said, his poor performance was the main reason we didn't take a point or three from the game. Not Mignolet. Mignolet hasn't lost us as many points this season as many like to peddle. His distribution and commanding of the box is sh*t, but that has hardly caused us to drop points. The point is, these are peddled long and hard enough for people to believe they are actually true. It's BS. If we have a soft defense and a soft midfield don't even expect the best keeper in the world to plaster that fundamental hemorrhage.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1337: Nov 10, 2015 01:01:59 am
      I don't remember saying that was the only reason we lost. You are well regarded as a moron on this forum. I am one of the more well respected members with a proven track record of correct player judgements. Don't make me put you in your place again.

:lmao:

May be time to take a short break mate. Once you start with the "well respected member" bit it's usually time for a rest.

Mignolet is not good enough and if we really want to progress we should be looking to improve on him. Just my opinion 

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1338: Nov 10, 2015 05:14:37 am
      You may be right mate :lmao:

Frustration may be getting the better of me, but I don't take kindly to being called a buffoon when there is no evidence for it, quite the opposite really if you consider all the things I've said over the years.

Mate, just stop. Seriously dude, this isn't a good look.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #1339: Nov 10, 2015 07:39:51 am
      The "good shot stopper" thing does make me laugh when you hear it.

He's a goalie for f#cks sake - I take that as a gimme.

My house needs re-wired - think I'll get Eric the Electrician. I've heard he's good with plugs.

Jesus suffering f#ck!

For the record - rather like I said re BR - he wasn't good enough when he joined and he isn't good enough now. Has to be changed.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1340: Nov 10, 2015 07:48:11 am
      The "good shot stopper" thing does make me laugh when you hear it.

He's a goalie for f#cks sake - I take that as a gimme.

My house needs re-wired - think I'll get Eric the Electrician. I've heard he's good with plugs.

Jesus suffering f#ck!

For the record - rather like I said re BR - he wasn't good enough when he joined and he isn't good enough now. Has to be changed.

I take it he's not a good shot stopper then?

Or, in your book he's not good enough at the things that aren't gimmies for a goalkeeper.  :D
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1341: Nov 10, 2015 08:05:00 am
      Fair enough lads. Don't think my message is coming across in the right way, hard to convay tone with just text.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1342: Nov 10, 2015 08:11:16 am
       :D

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1343: Nov 10, 2015 08:50:34 am
      What you need to be a good goalkeeper :-

Bravery (nutter preferred) - Simon is not the bravest goalkeeper

Distribution - Simon is bloody awful, takes too long to make his mind up, then makes the wrong decision, then kicks it to the opposition anyway.

Dominating the 6 yard box - Simon just doesn't!

Catching the ball - Simon is usually pretty good at catching the ball

Punching the ball - Simon isn't very good at punching the ball, isn't brave enough or aggressive enough 

Intelligence - Simple Simon is not just a nickname but a life choice for Mignolet

Positioning - poor which is why he doesn't save too many shots

Shot stopping - makes some world class saves, sometimes because he isn't in the right position he has to.

Consistency - poor a bad game seems to affect his confidence for weeks.

No doubt there are other important attributes that a goalkeeper needs but I think from the ones I have dreamt up we can see that we could do better. No doubt a better defence would help him but that's true of any goalkeeper.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1344: Nov 10, 2015 08:51:50 am
      Or, in your book he's not good enough at the things that aren't gimmies for a goalkeeper.

Problem with that is shot stopping is not the only 'Gimme' for a keeper.

There's also being comfortable and dealing with crosses, the ability to his command area.

That's just two more attributes, that's before you get into his distribution, decision making, his ability to be vocal and organise the defence in front of him etc.

An upgrade on Mignolet could possibly win us 12-15 points a season in my opinion and that to me is probably the 'cheapest area' we could see an immediate improvement in our starting XI.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1345: Nov 10, 2015 08:59:36 am
      Problem with that is shot stopping is not the only 'Gimme' for a keeper.

There's also being comfortable and dealing with crosses, the ability to his command area.

That's just two more attributes, that's before you get into his distribution, decision making, his ability to be vocal and organise the defence in front of him etc.

An upgrade on Mignolet could possibly win us 12-15 points a season in my opinion and that to me is probably the 'cheapest area' we could see an immediate improvement in our starting XI.

I agree it isn't the only gimme for a goal keeper.

It just so happens this is Mignolets best attribute but that's a gimme, now, supposedly.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1346: Nov 10, 2015 09:36:05 am
      I'd say shot stopping is the minimum requirement needed before you get to call yourself a goalkeeper like.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1347: Nov 10, 2015 09:51:05 am
      I'd say shot stopping is the minimum requirement needed before you get to call yourself a goalkeeper like.

We seem to have the minimum requirement between the sticks Dave.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1348: Nov 19, 2015 03:22:25 pm
      he's improved having sakho there so will be interesting to see if he reverts back to flapping as lovren likes to play hospital balls back to him which is somethign sakho very rarely did. he's comanding a lot better now just needs to work on distribution and being a bit more aggressive in corners.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #1349: Nov 25, 2015 12:47:00 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10078179/JĆ¼rgen-klopp-wants-to-replace-simon-mignolet-at-liverpool-says-bruce-grobbelaar

Don't know how much Bruce would know about the inner workings of the club anymore...seems Mignolet could have real confidence issues if he was asked to stop criticising him, if its true one thing for sure is this definitely won't help!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #1350: Nov 26, 2015 01:02:58 am
      http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10078179/JĆ¼rgen-klopp-wants-to-replace-simon-mignolet-at-liverpool-says-bruce-grobbelaar

Don't know how much Bruce would know about the inner workings of the club anymore...seems Mignolet could have real confidence issues if he was asked to stop criticising him, if its true one thing for sure is this definitely won't help!

Or more like he's just touting a player around!!

Bruce Grobbelaar claims Liverpool ordered him to stop criticising Simon Mignolet amid poor form

The iconic goalkeeper also claims that JĆ¼rgen Klopp is on the lookout for a new No.1 keeper and is looking to the Bundesliga for his next star

Former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar claims he was asked by the club not to be so vocal with his criticism of current No.1 Simon Mignolet.

The South African, who spent 13 years at Anfield, has claimed JĆ¼rgen Klopp is already looking to replace the Belgian.

The Liverpool boss is understood to be a big admirer of both Bayer Leverkusenā€™s Bernd Leno and Loris Karius, who plays for Kloppā€™s former club Mainz.

Mignolet kept the joint-most clean sheets in the Premier League last season but has conceded in all but four of Liverpoolā€™s 13 games this time around.

Grobbelaar said: ā€œIā€™ve had my criticism of Mignolet for two or three years, I even got pulled in and asked not to criticise him so openly.

ā€œBut I think he [Klopp] is looking at it [buying a replacement for Mignolet].

ā€œThere are a couple of goalkeepers in the German league that he is looking at so I can see that might be one of his first signings.ā€

Signed from Sunderland two years ago, Mignolet cost Liverpool Ā£9million and has made 111 appearances for the Merseyside club.

Grobbelaar, however, has claimed he has better goalkeeping talent at Ottawa Fury, where is working as a coach.

Speaking to talkSPORT, he added: ā€Iā€™ve said that he is a goalkeeper who is a great shot stopper, but he is not the overall package. The overall package is good with your feet and coming out and commanding your area.

ā€œIā€™ve got a goalkeeper in Canada, a 24-year-old, who does this better than Mignolet does and is just as good of a shot stopper. He is more of a package than Mignolet is.ā€

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bruce-grobbelaar-claims-liverpool-ordered-6899720
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1351: Nov 26, 2015 09:05:35 pm
      Get rid of him as soon as possible.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1352: Nov 26, 2015 10:24:19 pm
      That's F***ing cringeworthy if the club really asked Grobelaar to stop criticizing Mignolet.  Is this North Korea or something.

Anyway another embarrassing night for Simon.  The shambles leading to the free kick was the worst but he also did his usual deer in the headlights act a few minutes before when he headed the ball about one foot outside of the box when he should've thumped it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1353: Nov 26, 2015 10:26:51 pm
      Not only did he give the freekick away then decides to move towards the side covered by the wall...................F FS complete donkey.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1354: Nov 26, 2015 10:41:51 pm
      Sod off back to Sunderland.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1355: Nov 26, 2015 10:47:18 pm
      Utterly useless. An embarrassment, shambles and utterly out of his depth. Would not start for any other Premier League team.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #1356: Nov 27, 2015 12:00:57 am
      Just seen the highlights.

What F**k was he doing with that ball?

Quick Reply