Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?

Read 18085 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?
      Reply #23: Jul 21, 2013 10:52:08 am
      I believe that Brendan was very clear and unequivocal when he said he "... always felt it was important for us to have competition right the way through the squad, and that includes the goalkeepers" ... I believe that he believed what he was saying. Why? Well because it's true and everyone associated with football knows that and Brendan is very much a football man.

Would he go against that 'ethos', so readily, if other factors or 'Policy' didn't dictate so... I doubt it.  :-\

That much may be true mate, but then if he is familiar with the 'clubs policy', then he should know that 1 keeping Reina was never an option or 2 checked with the men who dictate 'club policy' before making such statements as it either makes Rodgers look stupid or spreads distrust.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #24: Jul 21, 2013 11:08:04 am
      Can't help but feel he is either a mouthpiece for the regime or just loves being dictated to from the men in suits.

staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #25: Jul 21, 2013 11:12:30 am
      Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers admits Pepe Reina is leaving to save money

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has revealed finances influenced his decision to sanction Pepe Reina's move to Napoli.

Reina is expected to join Napoli on a season-long loan early next week after Liverpool decided to let the keeper move on.

The Spaniard's future at Anfield has been the subject of conjecture since the arrival of Simon Mignolet from Sunderland and Rodgers concedes trimming the club's wage bill was one of the key reasons in letting Reina depart and he claimed the goalkeeper understood the club's decision.

"Financially it was something that we needed to look at," said Rodgers. "That would be the reason (to move Reina) as you wouldn't move on a top goalkeeper. It (the situation) reared its head over the last couple of months and I had to prepare by bringing in another keeper.

"Pepe is a good guy. I've a lot of time for him, and he understands what I want to do totally.

"He's got a big season ahead because it's a World Cup year and one where, if he wasn't going to be playing, could severely harm his chances of going."

Source: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8833861/liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-admits-pepe-reina-is-leaving-to-save-money

Says it all I think, what happened to we want competition for places?  We cant afford it.

And still nothing on the official site.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Jul 21, 2013 11:21:28 am
      That much may be true mate, but then if he is familiar with the 'clubs policy', then he should know that 1 keeping Reina was never an option or 2 checked with the men who dictate 'club policy' before making such statements as it either makes Rodgers look stupid or spreads distrust.

It's very simple Blood and if you read what I've written, I've said the same: "I am not saying that he's not compliant or doesn't agree (he may)".

How we, appear, to differ is on whether his final decision [Mignolet or Reina] was a decision that he would have taken had there not been other factors; factors that came to light after he made his "competition for places" speak.

I doubt, very much, that if he was given the 'choice' - "you can keep both or you can keep only one" that he would have kept only one. You seem to believe he would; my opinion differs - I may be wrong.

I'm of the opinion that his "choice", driven by, perhaps, a financial consideration [the merits of which aren't for this thread] was "You can only keep Reina if you don't sign X, Y or Z... our finances won't allow for it". So what to do; eh?... "I want to keep both but I need one, two, possibly three more players."

The "decision", in such an instance, becomes less clear cut; less down to a straight choice between keepers; more down to financial constraints.

Yes Brendan has been left with egg on his face; yes he looks like a bull-shi**er but... it's not the first time in a transfer window that this has happened.

Could it possibly be he was told one thing and had do another because er... things, not of his own making, changed around him? Nah; surely not...  :o
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Jul 21, 2013 11:26:34 am
      Mate I don't disagree with any of  the above, Just feel Rodgers needs to reel his statements in a bit.

I'm now at the point where his statements regarding Reina have got me thinking aside from all the piss and bluster Suarez will be sold and probably well below the Cavani figure he spouted.

These statements are spreading Mistrust in the management from top to bottom and that's going to damage/strain relations if its allowed to carry on.

staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #28: Jul 21, 2013 11:30:14 am
      I understand the points your making bad boy. It seems impossible to me where we place the blame, manager or owners. But the fact it we appear to have limited funds and finances appear to be the first priority.

After H&G I understand why we have to keep the books in order, but ultimately it means we CANNOT compete with the rich clubs. My question is why have we been told by the owners, and to a lesser extent BR, that we can compete with anyone.....we obviously cant and as a lifelong pool fan I want to be able to. If these owners cant put their hands in their pockets, I want someone who can.

I know I went off topic, sorry about that.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #29: Jul 21, 2013 11:35:54 am
      These statements are spreading Mistrust in the management from top to bottom and that's going to damage/strain relations if its allowed to carry on.

I dont know about anyone else, but this is definitely the case for me....the more BR says the less I believe him, he seems to be contradicting himself more and more.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Jul 21, 2013 11:42:56 am

Blood you have known me long enough to know that the one thing which grinds on my tits, more than others, is being fed bull-sh*t. That is the one thing which will turn me, very quickly, against the suits; be they owners or managers. You are singing to the choir mate but I always look at things in depth before calling 'bull-sh*t'.

At the moment I, genuinely, can't make my mind up if Brendan is the bull-shi**er or the bull-shittee (I may have just made up a word  ;D).

I, honestly, could not see him making the decision if it was down purely to football but then again; when you check back, an awful lot of savvy members posted that Mignolet's signing would see the end of Reina and (if 'we' "knew" that) surely Brendan "knew" it too.

The only problem I have [coming down on the side of bull-shi**er] is that Brendan was lied to before and I can't rule that out as not having happened again.  :-\
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #31: Jul 21, 2013 11:46:21 am
      I know  what  your saying Bubby and I have no idea myself if Rodgers is the bullshitter or the bullshitee myself and that's whats causing my mistrust, either way tho as things transpire I don't trust a single word that comes out of Rodgers mouth as he may say one thing and the owners force through another.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #32: Jul 21, 2013 11:49:01 am
      Brendan showing great command of the Suarez saga. As long as we pay his wages, he'll come here and play.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #33: Jul 21, 2013 11:50:08 am
      Blood you have known me long enough to know that the one thing which grinds on my tits, more than others, is being fed bull-sh*t. That is the one thing which will turn me, very quickly, against the suits; be they owners or managers. You are singing to the choir mate but I always look at things in depth before calling 'bull-sh*t'.

At the moment I, genuinely, can't make my mind up if Brendan is the bull-shi**er or the bull-shittee (I may have just made up a word  ;D).

I, honestly, could not see him making the decision if it was down purely to football but then again; when you check back, an awful lot of savvy members posted that Mignolet's signing would see the end of Reina and (if 'we' "knew" that) surely Brendan "knew" it too.

The only problem I have [coming down on the side of bull-shi**er] is that Brendan was lied to before and I can't rule that out as not having happened again.  :-\

You can't on one hand want us to conduct business "The Liverpool Way" and then on the other hand complain that the manager isn't laying out the full deck of cards in every press conference for everyone to see.

If Brendan is "a bullshitter" then so was was Shanks and so was Paisley - there is the stuff the manager tells the media, the stuff he tells the players and then waht he REALLY thinks.

For what it's worth, I personally think it's inconceivable that we spent 9 Million on transferring a player in without knowing exactly what we were doing with Pepe.

Of course, if the manager had come out and said "we are signing Mignolet for the long term and are loking to move Pepe on" his loan /transfer fee would have plummeted and no doubt the forum would be full of posters moaning about what an amateur outfit we are in regard to transfers.

They can't win either way.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #34: Jul 21, 2013 11:50:21 am
      I'm calling it 'Good Cop' 'BadCop' both parties are in bed together.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #35: Jul 21, 2013 11:50:23 am
      Brendan showing great command of the Suarez saga. As long as we pay his wages, he'll come here and play.

Like the great command of the Reina situation ???

Will all change when FSG get a transfer fee they deem as acceptable.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #36: Jul 21, 2013 11:56:30 am
      I don't know which is the more worrying scenario. FSG getting rid of Reina for his wages or Rodgers genuinely believing Pepe needed replacing.

Either way, it's not the best times to be a Liverpool supporter. As it has been for about 5 years. 5 long years.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #37: Jul 21, 2013 11:56:54 am
      Have to say I'm very disappointed with this whole Reina affair.

Rodgers was banging the drum about the Mignolet signing creating great competition for Reina.

Now, merely weeks later, we have 'known for some time' we couldn't afford Reina as a number two.

No need to bullshit us in the first place.  Not impressed.

Many of us know that the MD and the owners have a propensity for talking out of their arses.  We expect the current custodian of the Liverpool managers seat to be a little bit more ethical than that.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #38: Jul 21, 2013 11:57:47 am
      Despite all the opinions I've read in the last twenty-four hours, I still think BR was the reason why Reina has left.  That being said Reina had his part as well, as did the owners. Lots of rumours around saying Rodgers wasn't Pepe's biggest fan and this was Brendan's decision in the end.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Jul 21, 2013 12:03:03 pm
      Many of us know that the MD and the owners have a propensity for talking out of their arses.  We expect the current custodian of the Liverpool managers seat to be a little bit more ethical than that.

Summed up perfectly JD, FSG in my opinion are just keeping up H&G's good work in thinking were daft.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #40: Jul 21, 2013 12:10:07 pm
      Despite all the opinions I've read in the last twenty-four hours, I still think BR was the reason why Reina has left.  That being said Reina had his part as well, as did the owners. Lots of rumours around saying Rodgers wasn't Pepe's biggest fan and this was Brendan's decision in the end.

That in itself is very worrying. Pepe is one of the best keepers in the world without doubt and if our manager can't see that I don't know what's going through his head.

As for as Rodgers deceiving the fans goes, I stopped trusting or believing a word he says a long LONG time ago. I don't know why anyone else still does. I've never been a huge fan of his, but his off the pitch antics make it hard for me to try and like the guy. I do try, honestly, but when you can't believe anything he says is either true or from his own heart it's all too easy to feel distant, but this is going off topic.

So in short yes he Rodgers deceived us and will expect something similar when Luis is sold.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #41: Jul 21, 2013 12:10:19 pm
      Summed up perfectly JD, FSG in my opinion are just keeping up H&G's good work in thinking were daft.

Its only a matter of time before they well and truly fall into the H&G category. As for BR, he needs to grow a F***ing pair!

It's no wonder they didn't even consider giving Rafa the job, they know he wouldn't have stood for this bullshit and would have told them exactly what he thought!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #42: Jul 21, 2013 12:13:08 pm
       I don't think Brendan did "deceive" the fans no, simply because there was absolutely nothing to be gained by it. If he fully intended all along to loan out Pepe, what possible point was there in buying himself two weeks of grace with the fans? Reina was on his way to Barca and then the plans changed, I'm convinced of it. I also think we'll end up offering Luis Suarez 200K per week and the money "saved" on Pepe's wages wil be the source of the cash. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #43: Jul 21, 2013 12:13:09 pm

This is the problem I have as well Mouse.

Like you I can't quite work out if Brendan is bullshitting us or if he has been lied to again by FSG.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #44: Jul 21, 2013 12:13:48 pm
      Manager's lie all the time.  How many times in the last four years have we heard our manager say player X/the team played well in a post match interview? How often was that bullshit?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #45: Jul 21, 2013 12:17:15 pm
      Manager's lie all the time.  How many times in the last four years have we heard our manager say player X/the team played well in a post match interview? How often was that bullshit?

That's used for motivational purposes, I can't for the life of me see how contradicting himself after such a short time inspires confidence in anyone.

Quick Reply