Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?

Read 18087 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?
      Jul 20, 2013 08:38:00 am
      His quotes may as well be written in the sand when looking at what he said he said about Pepe's new competition when we signed Mignolet and what we now know/presume.

Either a bullshitter or he is being bullshitted.
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2013 11:54:55 am by JD, Reason: Topic title created and split from Brendan Rodgers topic. »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Re: Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?
      Reply #1: Jul 20, 2013 08:46:32 am

Yep.

I just cant work out which right now.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2: Jul 20, 2013 09:15:16 am
      Can't help but think that Rodgers is escaping flack for this Reina situation, plenty of noise around that indicated he wasn't a Pepe fan during last season and with noises that Reina wanted out floating around for the last two years, that means I can't help but think signing Mignolet was a good bit of business.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Jul 20, 2013 09:25:48 am
      Just wait until Suarez is sold, I can't wait to hear the sound bites about how something drastic an acceptable bid materialised and that it made perfect sense to get his wages off the wage bill now we have Aspas and Borini.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #4: Jul 20, 2013 10:13:02 am
      Can't help but think that Rodgers is escaping flack for this Reina situation, plenty of noise around that indicated he wasn't a Pepe fan during last season

You know I agree with this Rodders and if he has is happy to loan him out then he has to take some of the flack as well but I'm sure that if he didn't have to penny pinch he'd be as happy as we would to have Pepe as another keeper in his squad.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #5: Jul 20, 2013 10:21:05 am
      You know I agree with this Rodders and if he has is happy to loan him out then he has to take some of the flack as well but I'm sure that if he didn't have to penny pinch he'd be as happy as we would to have Pepe as another keeper in his squad.

And if Brendan / FSG are successful despite all the derision  they've taken will that group of "supporters" have to take the flack too?

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #6: Jul 20, 2013 12:25:28 pm
      And if Brendan / FSG are successful despite all the derision  they've taken will that group of "supporters" have to take the flack too?

Would that be that group of "supporters" that really saved the club.

Not the hedge-fund boys who got our club for a F***ing song!

Had that inkling last season that he comes across as a bit of a bullshitter.

Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #7: Jul 20, 2013 12:31:02 pm
      Would that be that group of "supporters" that really saved the club.

Not the hedge-fund boys who got our club for a f**king song!

Had that inkling last season that he comes across as a bit of a bullshitter.

Well there were certainly some positive measures taken from the supporters who backed the campaign to get H&G out however the danger now is that no matter what the owners, manager and team do they are faced with a wave of hostility and negativism from a certain proportion of the fans.

True success is impossible in those circumstances - it's part of the reasoned have been performing so poorly at home in my view.

Lets be clear though - IF FSG and Brendan bring success to the club it will be DESPITE that "support" not because of it. The inverse is of course also true.

Bt if we, say, win the league next season (highly unlikely I know) all the people who have been unfairly slagging off FSG and Brendan from day one have little claim to share in that success.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #8: Jul 20, 2013 12:32:55 pm
      True success is impossible in those circumstances - it's part of the reasoned have been performing so poorly at home in my view.

Or the true hardcore lot who made it a fortress have been priced out from going the game!
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #9: Jul 20, 2013 12:35:22 pm
      Or the true hardcore lot who made it a fortress have been priced out from going the game!

This is also very true and is why the future of our clubs ore dependent on the stadium decisions than on Suarez.

We need many more, cheaper seats available.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #10: Jul 20, 2013 12:36:35 pm
      We need many more, cheaper seats available.

And that should have been sorted over two decades ago.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #11: Jul 20, 2013 12:38:19 pm
      And that should have been sorted over two decades ago.

Absolutely agreed mate.

FSG have taken a lot of stick for "not knowing anything about football" but it seems to me that the people who DID know a lot about football have ****ed over the club on so many levels.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #12: Jul 20, 2013 01:12:44 pm
      Well there were certainly some positive measures taken from the supporters who backed the campaign to get H&G out however the danger now is that no matter what the owners, manager and team do they are faced with a wave of hostility and negativism from a certain proportion of the fans.

Lets be clear though - IF FSG and Brendan bring success to the club it will be DESPITE that "support" not because of it. The inverse is of course also true.

Bt if we, say, win the league next season (highly unlikely I know) all the people who have been unfairly slagging off FSG and Brendan from day one have little claim to share in that success.
      I dont get this post.

It is the fans fault when we have played poorly at home ? more specifically, the fans who don't like FSG or BR ?

Could you try any harder to polarize the fans. If you support FSG and BR you are good. If you don't support BR or FSG you are to blame for bad results

And, BR has had a brilliant support since he got here, some question if he is up to the job, but we are aloud to do that.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13: Jul 20, 2013 01:24:24 pm

Can I assume you are talking about SoS?
      Those guys have their hearts in the right place, but seem far too militant for my liking, and they keep popping up making demands and saying they speak on behalf of all supporters, which kind of gets on my nerves.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #14: Jul 20, 2013 01:29:11 pm
      Can't help but think that Rodgers is escaping flack for this Reina situation, plenty of noise around that indicated he wasn't a Pepe fan during last season and with noises that Reina wanted out floating around for the last two years, that means I can't help but think signing Mignolet was a good bit of business.

Good post.

I dont care what most people think BR IS the manager, he makes the decision...he decided to buy Mignolet and he decided to loan out Pepe.

It appears Pepe wanted to go to Barca but Valdes decided to stay another year, we bought Mignolet as a replacement and Valdez fu**ed up our plans. Having Pepe on the bench would reduce his value, but a season of first team action in a CL team will keep his value for when we sell him to Barca come the end of the season. IF it all goes to plan, which in football, it usually doesn't.

I get all that, and I can understand the situation, so fair enough. I believe he made the best out of a bad situation, that wasn't really his fault.

Suarez wants to move away, yet BR is still shouting about how the club will decide how much we will take to allow him to leave, despite a, seemingly, dodgy transfer fee clause. I personally believe there is a 40 mill release clause and that's the price we will get for him, but we will never know cause I guarantee it will be an undisclosed fee, so that BR isn't left with egg on his face. So why Is BR talking sh*t about how we are in control?

BR is now telling us that he has exciting players coming in....despite saying he only had one target and he didn't even get to talk to him.

In all honesty I really like Brendon, I want to him make us great again, but it he doesn't fill me with confidence, because he talk sh*te a lot of the time.

I look at the players bought so far and for me they are ALL squad players (except Mignolet). He said as much himself. So when are the big signings coming, where is the money coming for them and how the fck are we going to get them without CL.
      Frankly, what BR thinks is an exciting signing and what we think are 2 different things (I offer Borini as evidence).

I'm sorry Brendon but I don't believe a word that come out of your mouth mate. Heres an idea, keep your mouth shut, do your business and stop trying to sell us the dream, we have heard it all before.

edit
      Sorry guys, I didn't realise that would be such a long rant ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #15: Jul 20, 2013 01:32:59 pm
      Can I assume you are talking about SoS?
      Those guys have their hearts in the right place, but seem far too militant for my liking, and they keep popping up making demands and saying they speak on behalf of all supporters, which kind of gets on my nerves.

No they don't, they speak on behalf of their members, obviously all being supporters!

Do you also complain about the coaches they put on to away games? The protests they helped do in London having a go at the rising ticket prices in the Premier League (done in co-operation with the FSF and IMUSA)

Have you ever thought why they're so militant, obviously not aware a lot of the older lot of SOS have been involved in trade unions etc within Merseyside.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #16: Jul 20, 2013 01:45:38 pm

You are so out of touch.

Do you think anybody who says anything against FSG just does it for a laugh? If they were doing or had done all of the right things then everybody would be singing their praises.

They sacked a manager, hired a manager, hired Comolli, let Comolli go mad with the money, sacked Comolli, sacked a manager who is a club legend and treated him like a dog, refused to even talk to Rafa Benitez to replace him but chose to talk to Roberto Martinez, appointed rookie Swansea manager, appointed Jen Chang who fu**ed up, sacked Jen Chang, stitched new manager up in his first transfer window, publically put a cringeworthy letter out there trying to explain their F**k up whilst taking us all for dickheads and now it seems they've stitched him up again.

I've missed loads out but hey, look at the books boys and girls, they're that good we'll probably even save money on the accountancy costs.

Mediocre owners and a mediocre squad will result in mediocre results and positions in the competitions of which we compete in which will then only allow us to attract even more mediocre players.

The only possible saving grace in all of this could be Brendan Rodgers as he could turn out to be a truly amazing manager who gets the mediocre squad he has punching above its weight.

All eyes on him when the season starts.

No pressure Brendan lad.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #17: Jul 20, 2013 01:55:21 pm
      No they don't, they speak on behalf of their members, obviously all being supporters!

Do you also complain about the coaches they put on to away games? The protests they helped do in London having a go at the rising ticket prices in the Premier League (done in co-operation with the FSF and IMUSA)

Have you ever thought why they're so militant, obviously not aware a lot of the older lot of SOS have been involved in trade unions etc within Merseyside.

I don't complain about anything, I just post that they're not really my cup of tea.
      I also understand exactly where the militant thing comes from, and I still maintain that it is, for the most part, counter productive.
      They do some good things, but they are piping up at every opportunity, about everything to do with LFC, which makes me think that perhaps some of them like the attention a bit too much.

Personally, I don't need a spokesman or men.
      If others do, fair enough, and if it turns out FSG are shysters, then I'll get behind any campaign, but they seem to have taken on the self importance of RAWK, and that's a real turn off for me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #18: Jul 20, 2013 06:14:29 pm
      What are the odds on the phrase "work in progress" appearing in the post-match interview after our first loss this season?

The day you contribute something meaningful to this forum instead of persistent and constant digs at certain figures then we'll hold a party. Every single post you seem more irritated than a nun in a whorehouse.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #19: Jul 20, 2013 07:50:56 pm
      The day you contribute something meaningful to this forum instead of persistent and constant digs at certain figures then we'll hold a party. Every single post you seem more irritated than a nun in a whorehouse.

:lmao:

Top post mate
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #20: Jul 20, 2013 08:06:00 pm
      His quotes may as well be written in the sand when looking at what he said he said about Pepe's new competition when we signed Mignolet and what we now know/presume.

Agreed.  And I am sure the Suarez comment will come back to bite his ass too. 

If Reina did want to leave for Barca, and it is an 'if', then Valdes confirmed he was staying before we purchased the new keeper.  I did think at the time who spends Ā£9M on a back up keeper.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #21: Jul 20, 2013 08:13:35 pm
       :f_whistle:^chris KirklandĀ£7-8mill!!!?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: Jul 21, 2013 10:46:47 am
      I dont care what most people think BR IS the manager, he makes the decision...he decided to buy Mignolet and he decided to loan out Pepe.

To be honest staffle' (and this goes for almost every manager in the modern, money driven, era), they may very well "make the decisions" but the real truth is that any decisions, they make, will be in harmony with 'Club Policy'.

Where that 'Club Policy' stems from [board/advisors/owners] may vary from club to club but, when push comes to shove, should the "manager" not tow the Company line... he will be sacked.

I want to be clear here: I am not opening a debate on the merits of 'Club policy' or whether it is good, bad or indifferent. That is irrelevant to this issue and for another thread.

I am just asking do you/we genuinely believe that Brendan is making these decisions [buying younger, easier paid, players, for e.g.] off his own bat or is he doing it in line with 'Club Policy'?

I will happily start the ball rolling and suggest that everything Brendan has done, to date, in the transfer market is very much in line with what John Doubleya wrote in his missive to the masses.

The "buying young"; the "not overpaying"; the "value for money"; the "never again wasting resources on inflated transfer fees and unrealistic wages"...  all part of what John W. Henry said was a "clear vision at work."

As such I believe that Brendan is working, like most of us, in line with Company Policy. I am not saying that he's not compliant or doesn't agree (he may): I am saying that his decisions will be influenced, to a major degree, by 'Policy'.

Think of it another way: if 'Club Policy' was to target many top quality players and pay premium rates, for those players, (say two in every position)... Brendan would be making "his" decisions very differently; no?

I believe that Brendan was very clear and unequivocal when he said he "... always felt it was important for us to have competition right the way through the squad, and that includes the goalkeepers" ... I believe that he believed what he was saying. Why? Well because it's true, everyone associated with football knows that and Brendan is very much a football man.

Would he go against that 'ethos', so readily, if other factors or 'Policy' didn't dictate so... I doubt it.  :-\
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2013 10:54:15 am by bad boy bubby »

Quick Reply