Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?

Read 18150 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?
      Reply #161: Jul 22, 2013 02:45:45 pm
      I believe that all we hear or watch in a transfer period is pure HR and is done just to ease the negotiations. From the moment we brought Mignolet, or most probably even before, Reina is for sale. Of course BR would never say that because that would drop his price and make our position in negotiations unfavorable.

With interest in the player now made public and the player potentially unsettled, his club will immediately release a statement saying their player is not for sale. In some cases they genuinely mean it.

On other occasions you have to read between the lines of such statements. Often they are little more than exercises in public relations as no club like to be seen as a selling club, particularly of popular star performers. Public statements can be an important part of the negotiating tactics.

I'm only guessing here Dancho but if Christian Purslow knows all this and you know all this [i.e. a PR exercise, designed to deceive would-be buyers]: the chances are every F***ing football club in the world "knows" it too. Rendering it moot and toothless as a "deception" of any merit.  :-\

Whisper it quietly tho' 'cause maybe they are all F***ing daft and haven't twigged on yet.   ;)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #162: Jul 22, 2013 03:30:47 pm
      "We want your world class goalie but we don't much fancy paying a fee for him - do you mind?"

"You must think we're f#ckin' stupid - yes we do mind, now f#ck off!"

"Fair enough - can we just borrow him for a year then?"

"Help yourself"

Now I get it....

EBLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #163: Jul 22, 2013 03:35:46 pm
      Been a bit of lurker on here for a while, first post. Not read all of this thread so apologies for any repeat.

I agree with Scottbot, that this issue will not make me lose any sleep. I can't help but feel that Pepe and his Barca ties are playing a part in all this. I seem to remember that Valdes was supposed to be leaving them this summer but has now decided to remain for the last year of his contract, this would tie in with Pepe going on loan to play all season in a World Cup year and then free to join them as their No.1 next summer.

Maybe we have forseen this and together with Pepe himself not being as brilliant as he once was we've brought in a highly talented and motivated albeit unproven keeper. BR came out and said he wanted this kind of competition in the squad - of course he does, all managers do but the keeper position is never going to be one where he could of been afforded that kind of luxury on the bench every week. Pepe wouldn't want it and the owners, probably rightly don't want to pay those wages for a No.2 keeper.

All in all, IMO feel that Pepe would jump ship if/when Barca come calling which could be next summer hence the loan this season. BR has reacted early, we've got a v promising keeper, let's go!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #164: Jul 22, 2013 04:04:04 pm
      It was the intricacy and the detail surrounding the 'lie' that suckered me in.

Same here Bubby, that's exactly what got me, hook line and F***ing sinker.

Until those comments, I was all prepared for Reina leaving.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #165: Jul 22, 2013 05:15:47 pm
      .......... or if the "financial reasons" quote is true maybe he's having his Rafa in Athens moment and trying to say in not too many barbed words that it's the moneymen making decisions, not the manager/coaches etc.

I'm goin with that tbh, I don't for one second believe that, as a manager, he wouldn't want at least two quality players for each position and the better they are the better he does as a Manager. Unfortunately that also means he'll accept being told what's what by the money men and I for one would respect him more if he put his F***ing foot down and stopped coming out with 'being liverpool' sound bites that sound like placation.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #166: Jul 22, 2013 06:47:13 pm
      Shocking thread... Like Suarez, BR will never change the opinion some people have of him. Things change and so do decisions, for Gods sake!! Maybe he was getting back-up for the eventuality of Reina leaving and not knowing when or if that would be, he released the statement about competition as opposed to "No Simon is definitely Reinas replacement - we are definitely going to sell Reina"!

This is what managers do on a daily basis.... if Suarez is sold, will BR have deceived us by saying "he's not for sale"....

RIDICULOUS!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #167: Jul 22, 2013 09:26:04 pm
      The minute I heard we were signing Mignolet I knew that Pepe was leaving.

You don't pay that sort of money for a goalie to sit on the bench.

So what brought about the change?

Possibly two scenarios.

Pepe has not performed as well in the last two seasons as he did previously so perhaps Brendan realised this and looked to freshen things up.  I don't really buy this but it is a possibility.

Pepe said he wanted to go so Brendan identified a replacement and got him early doors.  This now leaves the problem of finding someone who will buy Pepe.

The loan deal may or may not be true but this may be a ploy to get someone to come out and make an offer or allow Pepe to make a name in the Champions League and then attract a bidding war while being off the wage bill.

We are were we are.  We just have to live with it.

As for deceiving fans then if not telling us everything results in a better deal for LFC then so be it.  We can't run the transfer window being totally transparent.  We will just get turned over.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #168: Jul 22, 2013 10:23:43 pm
      We are were we are.  We just have to live with it.

Fair post mate and this bit is true, sick of moaning and I'm now looking for positives out of it although I'll never be happy to see us loaning out CL standard players no matter what the reason or F**k up.

From what I've heard (I did see Mignolet last year but didn't take a great deal of notice) Simon is an excellent shot stopper who commands his box better than Pepe and can use his feet to a reasonable standard.

Just miffed that a player of Pepe's stature has just fizzled out of the club like a wet fart.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #169: Jul 23, 2013 11:15:40 pm
      I think he definately did decieve us as i felt with the words he spoken such as 'competition' that we would have the two of them next season. He said he was an 'important player' and was not for sell. I just hope he doesnt decieve the fans in the Suarez saga which has raised doubts with him basically lieing to the media and the fans.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #170: Jul 23, 2013 11:20:38 pm
      I felt deceived, still do to be honest.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #171: Jul 24, 2013 04:51:17 am

He sets out what happened quite clearly in the latest The Anfield Wrap podcast.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #172: Jul 24, 2013 08:48:15 am
      He sets out what happened quite clearly in the latest The Anfield Wrap podcast.

He definitely does not.

In  fact when listening to that  it is the complete opposite of clear so I'm wondering how you seen it differently Carlos.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #173: Jul 24, 2013 09:15:28 am
      I think most people realised that once we signed Mignolet, Pepe was gone. Whether he attempted to deceive the supporters or FSG did we probably won't ever know.
      TyrannaSuarezRex
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #174: Jul 24, 2013 10:54:03 am
      Has anyone considered that Reina may have reneged on his conversation with Brendan where it was agreed that competition would be provided for the goalkeeper position?

Perhaps Pepe made the noises Brendan wanted to hear over that dinner some time ago, yet once Mignolet had arrived, he decided he didn't have the stomach for it the battle.

It is completely logical for Reina to be moving on regardless of what Brendan has/hasn't said regarding competition for places.

We have purchased a  better goalkeeper than we already had, so that is a sensible decision in itself.

My first thought around the competition for places statement was...."Reina won't be up for that". I don't honestly feel he has the desire to fight for his place/regain the form which of days gone by.

I told was telling my mates all last season that Reina would be gone in the summer. His shots/saves ratio last season was something like 45%! That's ridiculous.

It is also extremely surprising to see people here referring to Reina as 'World Class'. That ship sailed a long time ago and he certainly can't be considered in that bracket anymore.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #175: Jul 24, 2013 11:04:06 am
      I think most people realised that once we signed Mignolet, Pepe was gone. Whether he attempted to deceive the supporters or FSG did we probably won't ever know.

What we do know is our man has been a faithful servant of LFC who committed himself totally to the club, we should not let any doubt over hs exit cloud that fact.

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #176: Jul 24, 2013 01:51:56 pm
      We also know that BR fronted the whole thing. First by saying "more competition", followed by "we needed to save on his wages". We need to identify the mastermind. Ian? John? Brendan? One of the board members?
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #177: Jul 24, 2013 02:58:04 pm
      He definitely does not.

In  fact when listening to that  it is the complete opposite of clear so I'm wondering how you seen it differently Carlos.

You don't think mate?

He said that Pepe's people had told the club that an offer would be coming in over Summer that he would be interested in taking up.

Brendan had previously had a conversation with him about introducing some more competition and that Pepe needed to increase  his fitness levels - which he responded to.

The manager made it clear that he had been burnt previously by not getting a replacement in early - in fact, many on this forum criticised him for the Carroll saga - so the wheels were put into place to secure Mig - one of the best keepers in the league.

Having obtained him, and the Barca deal having fallen through, a conversation was had with Pepe who was concerned about getting first team football. An offer from Napoli arrived which would help him achieve that but no further discussion about the loan (at that point) had been made.

What did you think of the interview?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #178: Jul 24, 2013 08:29:02 pm
      I wonder if Luis goes to Arsenal if we can have a thread titled: Did Suarez deceive fans over reason for leaving Liverpool
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #179: Jul 24, 2013 08:32:25 pm
      I wonder if Luis goes to Arsenal if we can have a thread titled: Did Suarez deceive fans over reason for leaving Liverpool

Was thinking more along the lines of 'Suarez is a buck toothed Trecherous c**t' myself ;D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #180: Jul 24, 2013 08:47:54 pm
      Was thinking more along the lines of 'Suarez is a buck toothed Trecherous C**t' myself ;D

Yeah Luis not gaining any new friends as he walks out the door Daz, thought he might be a little different in the way he would handle this day but it seems he's just like all the rest and the "handlers" are out working for him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #181: Jul 24, 2013 08:50:49 pm
      I'm not really arsed mate said when it first reared its head it was a load of bollocks and Ive been prepared for him leaving since then, as long as we invest his transfer fee wisely, we could end up stronger for it.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #182: Jul 24, 2013 08:53:55 pm
      I'm not really arsed mate said when it first reared its head it was a load of bollocks and Ive been prepared for him leaving since then, as long as we invest his transfer fee wisely, we could end up stronger for it.

Not to Arsenal, Red. How much weaker does our team become the day he signs for them and how much stronger does their team become, having already been stronger than us.

It would take a lot more money than £50m to make up that increased gulf because Suarez could lift them to a title challenging team.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #183: Jul 24, 2013 08:57:25 pm
      Not to Arsenal, Red. How much weaker does our team become the day he signs for them and how much stronger does their team become, having already been stronger than us.

It would take a lot more money than £50m to make up that increased gulf because Suarez could lift them to a title challenging team.

At this point in time I couldn't give a F**k where he goes, just want it done and done quickly so we can re-invest in our own squad.

Quick Reply