Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would you sell Crouch for £8 million?

Yes
      (50%)
      No
      (50%)

Man City to offer £8 million for Crouch (Mail)

Read 4627 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Man City to offer £8 million for Crouch (Mail)
      Oct 10, 2007 11:36:28 pm
      City set to offer Crouch an £8m way out

Sven Goran Eriksson will be able to buy Peter Crouch for £8million in the January transfer window if he follows up his interest in the Liverpool and England striker.

The Manchester City manager has put Crouch on his list of possibles after learning that he is unhappy at his failure to secure a regular starting place this season and is ready to quit Anfield.

Eriksson needs a centre forward after losing Valeri Bojinov with a serious knee injury and believes 26-year-old Crouch is one of the most proficient strikers in the Premier League.

Crouch cost £7m when he moved to Anfield from Southampton two years ago and City feared that a price tag between £12m-£15m would put them out of the running, but it is understood Liverpool are prepared to take substantially less.

Crouch will only have 18 months left on his contract in January. He has made it clear he will not sign a new deal as long as coach Rafael Benitez prefers Fernando Torres, Dirk Kuyt and Andriy Voronin in his rotation policy.

This season Crouch has made just one League start and his only goal came in the second leg of the Champions League qualifier against Toulouse.

Crouch is aware of City's interest and has told friends he would relish the opportunity to join up with Eriksson, who gave him his England chance and took him to the World Cup Finals in Germany.

Eriksson believes that £8m would represent a good price for Crouch — a player he knows and trusts.

He said: "I've spoken to the people upstairs and the news at the moment is good. I'm told that I can operate in January, so that is good."

Despite their impressive start to the season, there is concern among City's coaching staff that the current team may not have enough goals and they are lacking a 20-goal per season striker.

They are relying on Emile Mpenza as a lone striker while Georgios Samaras seeks a return to form and Italian Rolando Bianchi tries to settle in England.

Bianchi was the big hope when he arrived in the summer but he has disappointed after scoring on his debut and there are some at City who are already wondering if he has the physical ability and appetite to prosper in the Premier League.

Eriksson has been told by owner Thaksin Shinawatra that he can go back with a £4m bid for Palermo midfielder Mark Bresciano — who he almost signed in August — and that he can have money for a centre forward.

The former Thai prime minister is not able to bankroll Eriksson to the extent that has been suggested by some and is certainly not able to spend money in the same lavish fashion that Roman Abramovich has at Chelsea.

Indeed, it was because Palermo wanted £4m in one up-front payment that the deal to sign Bresciano failed. England defender Micah Richards has vowed to sign a new contract at City, despite negotiations dragging on.

Richards, 19, said: "I'm in final talks and hopefully we'll have something signed very, very soon, it's just down to the finer details.

"It's certainly not the case that I want to move anywhere. I'm looking for a new house in Manchester, so why would I want to move anywhere now?

"I'm enjoying my football week in, week out and I'm playing for England, so what more could I want at the moment?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=486951&in_page_id=1779

If the cheeky sod is stalling on a contract after we gave him his break then I think £8 million would be a fair price to let him leave.  That's half the money we need for Berbatov.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Re: Man City to offer £8 million for Crouch (Mail)
      Reply #1: Oct 10, 2007 11:41:49 pm
      Especially as Rafa stood by him when he couldn't score for us at first.
      I think that Crouch could still have a future at Anfield, if he took that chip of his shoulder.

Try and be cheeky and hold out for £10m, after all, City do have the cash !
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #2: Oct 10, 2007 11:46:40 pm

Well of course - but I think the point here is that I see Crouch leaving in Jan as a very realistic option.  The whole England - European Championship Squad thing all over again.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Oct 11, 2007 12:28:44 am
      Well of course - but I think the point here is that I see Crouch leaving in Jan as a very realistic option.  The whole England - European Championship Squad thing all over again.

What about the fact our attack is evolving from the days of Rafa's first season in charge and he felt the need for someone to come in who we could just lump the ball forward to at those tricky away games....? I think we've moved on from that lately in terms of playing the ball, hence Crouch spending more time on the bench. And it's ironic when on the few occasions he's played this season I can only think of the Reading game where we didn't revert to the long ball.

I'd take £8m for him. But I'd hope we would have someone lined up to fill that void of holding the ball up, having skill and most importantly being able to stick the ball in the net - without us reverting to a long ball game! Berbatov would be nice.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #4: Oct 11, 2007 01:09:50 am
      8m is a little less, surely we can get a bit more than that. Especially considering the speculative interests from so many clubs in the summer.  Anyway, we have the option of buying that little fella back.  I mean if we're willing to forgive!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Oct 11, 2007 02:09:44 am

I agree 10 milion+ is what we should be getting if we were to sell him. That hack Darren Bent went for 16 million and what's he done that's any better than what Crouchie has done for us?
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #6: Oct 11, 2007 02:43:13 am
      I agree 10 milion+ is what we should be getting if we were to sell him. That hack Darren Bent went for 16 million and what's he done that's any better than what Crouchie has done for us?

G'day Aussie...
      I agree with your comments...
      but not too sure if we would get $16m for Crouch, Maybe the $10 - $12m would be enough,
      def more than $8m though...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Oct 11, 2007 02:59:54 am
      Hey Warrior, g'day bud....yeah 16million might be asking a bit too much...like you said 10-12 would be very nice for the Anfield coffers.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Oct 11, 2007 03:55:58 am
      Yeah maybe 13 even. If players like Bent go for 16, why cant we push up the price?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Oct 11, 2007 11:05:11 am
      Decent deal... but I wouldn't bring Owen back (damaged goods)... doubt Rafa would go for another Fower-like experiment that frankly failed.

For the record - Owen and Fowler are two living Anfield Legends.
      Torres *9
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 11, 2007 12:42:04 pm
      i wud definantly sell crouch for 8 million + and apparently we have been linked with a move for brazilan international afonso alves who scored an incredible seven times for Dutch club Heerenveen on Sunday in their 9-0 victory over Eredivisie rivals Heracles Almelo. i think he wud be a great buy last season he went on to score 34 goals in 31 league games before being named Holland’s player of the year and has seven caps for Brazil,
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #11: Oct 11, 2007 12:49:11 pm
      As for the theme of this thread... if we do offload him,  anything between 10 and 12 million sounds like good business. Who we replace him with will definitely be interesting to see. If he goes, its been great, but the show goes on with out you mate...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Oct 11, 2007 12:51:43 pm
      I wud definantly sell crouch for 8 million + and apparently we have been linked with a move for brazilan international afonso alves who scored an incredible seven times for Dutch club Heerenveen on Sunday in their 9-0 victory over Eredivisie rivals Heracles Almelo. I think he wud be a great buy last season he went on to score 34 goals in 31 league games before being named Holland’s player of the year and has seven caps for Brazil,

Seems like you fancy this lad?
      Seeing he his a Brazilian winger i take him to be pacey, skillfull and loves to score? Certainly sounds like what we need but how many wingers have we signed to be like that and failed.
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #13: Oct 11, 2007 12:52:42 pm
      I think Crouch is thinking that he is a bit of a star now, he is dont get me wrong but it was Rafa who made him that star. I'd take £12 million for him, Personally i wouldnt sell him but if hes refusing to sign a new contract we're better selling him now than losing him for free in 18 months time.
      « Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 12:55:25 pm by jakkeo »
      Torres *9
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #14: Oct 11, 2007 12:57:45 pm
      alves plays a centre forward position and i think he wud make a good partnership with torres
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: Oct 11, 2007 01:34:14 pm

spot on. Bidding for Crouchy should start at 16mill as he has more caps then bent and a decent goal records at international level. For me tho id keep him I think he still has a lot to offer us
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #16: Oct 11, 2007 02:18:46 pm
      I agree that they should get more than £8m for crouch, unless they wanna straight swap for micah richards :laugh:
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #17: Oct 11, 2007 02:30:52 pm
      It's clear to see that crouch has a chip on his shoulder.IMO crouch thinks that he should be playing with torres because he would score more goals and force his way into the england team.With him,26, now he probably feels that he needs a good season to start in the Euros and play decent as to play in the world cup in three years.He knows he's under severe pressure from the likes of Ashton and Heskey in that role for england.

So yes I think we should sell crouch(8-10m) in january and bring in someone more suited to play with torres, someone who could hold up the ball,flick the ball on,stick it away and most importantly have the pace to get behind defenders when torres flicks on.I feel this is key to get the best out of torres, as it free torres up to play between the RB/LB and central defender which I think is his prefered role.

As to who to buy the obvious one is berbatov, maybe anelka( i know it didn't work out before but he looks a happy chappy now) as for alves might be worth a shout , i see boro were interested in him to replace yakubu and is only 21 so plenty of time to develop into a top class pro.How bout kaka he only 25  ;)
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #18: Oct 11, 2007 03:58:52 pm
      First of all, im quite happy that a club has taken interest in crouch as i believe he's done his time with us at Anfield, as his services are obviously no longer required at the club...And its only fair on him if he plays at a club where he will be a regular starter and have consistent game time.
      However, i believe we can do a better price of 8 million pounds....
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #19: Oct 11, 2007 06:40:47 pm
      £8 million would be nice, but possibly a bit more (or a trade with micah richards ;D)
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #20: Oct 11, 2007 07:39:27 pm
      I would sell him for £8 mill in Jan, he's starting to believe his own publicity and i don't think we need him anymore because i think Rafa is trying to get us to play a different style of football now, but i think we could still get £10 mill for him if we push for it.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #21: Oct 11, 2007 09:05:43 pm
      Three words.

Sell sell sell.

I want to capture Ricardo Queresma!
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #22: Oct 11, 2007 09:36:13 pm
      I think 8m is too little for crouchie but doubt we'd get over 13m i'd settle for 11m. with that cash i'd personally like us to bring in dean ashton

Quick Reply