Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Midfield Three

Read 11594 times
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Re: Midfield Three
      Reply #69: Aug 06, 2013 01:40:26 pm
      I think if stevie had the legs of 5 years ago Allen would be a perfect fit beside Lucas with Gerrard surging forward

But as things stand Hendo attacks better and covers more ground.

I still think Allen is a great little player just not what we really need right now for balance in the starting 11
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #70: Aug 06, 2013 01:54:50 pm
      What about the idea that he would accommodate him (in position) whilst moving the, more versatile Coutinho, to another position then? Will that 'wash'?

Hi mate, will pick up on a couple of your points.

Isn't this based on the premise that Coutinho IS a number 10? Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Coutinho play on the left of a three for pretty much all of his appearances last season? And of course he did very well there. I personally think he has all the attributes to play the 10 role but the manager seemed pretty happy with him cutting in off that left-side. Can we say he has been moved to accomodate Allen if in actual fact he simply is played in the same position he played the majority of his games last time around?

For now, the Coutinho factor has been conveniently side-stepped. Right now, the question is only; Joe Allen or Jordan Henderson? The head-scratching really only begins if we sign another one or two top quality, attackers... then the question asked will have to be Joe Allen or Coutinho?

Not by me, I think i addressed it in the OP or in a subsequent reply. I think the manager wants a midfield 3 that is strong/functional as well as offering some creativity and this is the springboard for 1/ our full-backs to get forward and provide width and 2/ to enable our to wide players to play narrow/interchange and play between the lines. I think Rodgers is confident enough in our front 3 to make things happen up top and wants a midfield that will better serve the defensive frailties that hamstrung us for much of last season.

I know we discussed whether Allen was really much of a step up from Coutinho in the work-rate/marking/tracking/tackling stakes and you were of the opinion that there wouldn't be much drop off. I'm not sure i agree on this, young Coutinho works hard but I think Allen can be a tenacious player in there. Lucas got plaudits after the last friendly but Allen made just as many tackles and put his foot through a few players in that game. Maybe the shoulder injury last season curtailed this part of his game, I don't know but he looks sharp and in excellent physical shape this summer and it will be interesting to see how he goes this season. He has certainly become the player that polarises opinion in here that's for sure.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2013 02:26:18 pm by Scottbot »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #71: Aug 06, 2013 02:22:38 pm
      Scott, you're right. Coutinho was played predominately on the left and only moved into the No. 10 role once Luis Suarez decided to bite another player. Remember, before Suarez's ban, the side was:

Gerrard       Lucas
      Downing         Suarez         Coutinho
      Sturridge

But once he was banned, the side was:

Gerrard        Lucas
         Downing      Coutinho        Henderson
      Sturridge

So really Coutinho moved central to accomodate the loss of Suarez and his creativity in a central role. Suarez is our most creative player with Coutinho being a close second.

The question now is whether Coutinho should stick in a central role. I'd be up for it: We saw how good he is in that role, and he just sees the game a step ahead of everyone else it seems. The problem though is who plays on the left AND the right?

I mentioned this yesterday, but I think we'll be going back to a staggered 1-2 triangle in midfield. Lucas will hold, Gerrard will link, and Allen will be the furthest forward, though Allen and Gerrard will take turns getting up into attack. The Olympiakos match is probably the best indicator of how we'll start out the season once Sturridge is back to full fitness:

Mignolet
      Toure      Agger
      Johnson                         Enrique
         Lucas
      Gerrard               
               Allen
      Sterling                           Coutinho
      Sturridge
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #72: Aug 06, 2013 05:37:30 pm
      I think - depending on the wingers/strikers we have at the start of the season - it should be Gerrard, Lucas and Coutinho. Coutinho plays best when he is in the hole behind the main striker; we saw against Olympiakos that he drifts in a lot, leaving someone else to fill in the role - someone like Allen who wasn't best suited to the left wing. I would say the team for next season should be:
                                     Mignolet

Johnson          Toure           Agger         Enrique

Gerrard         Lucas

Coutinho

Sturridge                 Aspas               Suarez/Sterling*

*Depending on whether he leaves, and for the first 6 games. Also, I would expect the front three to rotate as they please.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #73: Aug 06, 2013 07:01:28 pm
      Isn't this based on the premise that Coutinho IS a number 10?
      Indeed Scott which is why I wrote...
      Assuming, of course, that like me you see Coutinho being more effective in that 'third' midfield role than in attack.

If you believe otherwise then, obviously, Coutinho doesn't enter the mid-field three equation. It then becomes only a straight fight between Allen and Henderson.

From reading what you've written I believe it's safe to say that you believe Allen will be a better fit than Henderson - Brendan believes this too - as do I. There you have it - the conundrum answered... midfield three = Lucas, Gerrard and Allen. Simples.  8)

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #74: Aug 07, 2013 12:54:18 am
      And Joe Allen wasn't bought by someone who's name isn't Rafa or Kenny.

What?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #75: Aug 07, 2013 01:00:00 am
      I would have

Lucas    Gerrard

Coutinho

IF I had to choose 3 everytime
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #76: Aug 07, 2013 01:04:58 am
      "The first three month of last season Joe was our best player by a mile"

Each to their own but I would have given that particular accolade to Luis Suarez.  :-\

To which, if you had said that to Brendan, would have replied 'who the F**k is Suarez?'
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #77: Aug 07, 2013 10:12:42 am
      To which, if you had said that to Brendan, would have replied 'who the F**k is Suarez?'
        :-\
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #78: Aug 11, 2013 01:23:13 am
      struggled in the middle of the park today didn't we? for me the idea of playing a three of Gerrard/Lucas and/or Allen/Henderson can Only work IF the front 3 are all genuine flair players. if they're not you are then having to ask your functional midfield three to be more creative than they are capable of being. That means Downing can't play and Sturridge needs to be in the side.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #79: Aug 11, 2013 01:24:39 am
      struggled in the middle of the park today didn't we? for me the idea of playing a three of Gerrard/Lucas and/or Allen/Henderson can Only work IF the front 3 are all genuine flair players. if they're not you are then having to ask your functional midfield three to be more creative than they are capable of being. That means Downing can't play and Sturridge needs to be in the side.

Exactly the reason I think 4-2-3-1 works so much better with our personnel mate, too many square pegs in round holes. Although the real solution is obvious, give Brendan the resources to find the right bloody pegs FSG!
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #80: Aug 11, 2013 09:03:15 am
      More and more think Allen/hendo don't have the skill to play cam in the 3

Surely Alberto is worth a try or coutinho in that slot

Especially at home if Lucas and gerrard stay disciplined and keep back
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #81: Aug 11, 2013 09:17:01 am
      The only way a midfield three will work with our current squad would be to play Coutinho as one of the three, using either Allen,Henderson,Gerrard,Lucas  deasnt work.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #82: Aug 11, 2013 10:13:23 am

Its a great point Scott.

I think that three can work but you need Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez in front of it.

Obiously the Suarez situation leaves every possibility that wont happen.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #83: Aug 11, 2013 10:30:18 am
      I think that three can work but you need Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez in front of it.
      Or with maybe Coutinho being "creative" in the midfield, just like in the last few games of last season; the games where Downing and Henderson played and the "flair of Suarez was missing.  :o  Just a thought like.

I'm sure Allen won't be shoe-horned into the team if it's detrimental to performance and results.  :-\

leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #84: Aug 11, 2013 11:37:29 am

I'm sure Allen won't be shoe-horned into the team if it's detrimental to performance and results.  :-\

He was last year thats what worries me this time around with still no alternative after failing for mkhi

WIllian?? 30m anzhi want rid he wanted to go to chelsea?? Defo worth the risk for me top top player better then mkhi
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #85: Aug 11, 2013 11:42:19 am
      4-1-2-1-2 is how Id start on Saturday.

Mignolet

Johnson Toure Agger Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard  Henderson

Coutinho

Sterling  Borini

Sturridge on around half time. Love to see Coutinho in the centre all game and Sterling playing up front. That formation would require the 2 full backs giving the width, which thy are good at but need to improve there final ball
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #86: Aug 11, 2013 11:51:50 am
      4-1-2-1-2 is how Id start on Saturday.

Mignolet

Johnson Toure Agger Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard  Henderson

Coutinho

Sterling  Borini

Sturridge on around half time. Love to see Coutinho in the centre all game and Sterling playing up front. That formation would require the 2 full backs giving the width, which thy are good at but need to improve there final ball

We'd get ripped apart with that starting 11 Brian.  There's no way that Raheem, Borini and Cou have the strength to press their back line enough.  Our fb's will be on defensive duties for most of the time so they'll have even more ground to cover.

Worryingly without Luis and Sturridge, we're very lightweight up top and without strengthening the midfield we're still too lightweight there.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #87: Aug 11, 2013 12:03:33 pm
      We'd get ripped apart with that starting 11 Brian.  There's no way that Raheem, Borini and Cou have the strength to press their back line enough.  Our fb's will be on defensive duties for most of the time so they'll have even more ground to cover.

Worryingly without Luis and Sturridge, we're very lightweight up top and without strengthening the midfield we're still too lightweight there.

Hate to tell ye Debs but unless Danny convinced Brendan yesterday hes match fit that's most likely the 11 that will start with maybe Aspas for 1 of the front 2. The only difference in my set up is I have Coutinho central. Proves what we were saying this morning about us needing 3 maybe 4 more players Debs
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #88: Aug 11, 2013 12:11:50 pm
      Hate to tell ye Debs but unless Danny convinced Brendan yesterday hes match fit that's most likely the 11 that will start with maybe Aspas for 1 of the front 2. The only difference in my set up is I have Coutinho central. Proves what we were saying this morning about us needing 3 maybe 4 more players Debs

Danny probably has done enough to convince him mate and I think Brendan really needs those 3 points for team moral.  The dilemma is, does he take the risk to start Danny in the hope that we score early on, or use him as a sub if we need to rescue the game.

We still need 3 or 4 more players mate, even with Luis staying.

Sorry guys I've gone way off topic. 

We need better than our current options for a midfield 3 to work imo of course.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #89: Aug 11, 2013 12:30:03 pm
      l still think we get overrun in midfield, think we need other powerful runner in that area
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #90: Aug 12, 2013 09:45:04 am
      Expanding on his plans for Coutinho, Rodgers continued: "No question, Coutinho's best position is the No.10.

"And once we get the right kind of quality to put on the sides, he will play in that central role. That is where he affects the game best.

"At the moment, he has the licence to jump in and come inside - joining in and making passes, and we accommodate defensively when he does that.

"But there is no doubt, his best position is in the middle."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/142356-br-we-re-working-hard-on-deals

Where this would leave the best player, "by a mile", in the first three months of last season, I don't know but it makes prefect sense to me.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #91: Aug 12, 2013 12:37:50 pm
      I don't know why but I am very excited about the rest of the transfer market after hearing that from BR

Quick Reply