Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: LFC v Stoke

Philippe Coutinho
      47 (24.6%)
      Simon Mignolet
      59 (30.9%)
      Iago Aspas
      9 (4.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      11 (5.8%)
      Kolo Toure
      13 (6.8%)
      Somebody else
      4 (2.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      45 (23.6%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2013 03:02:19 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 39856 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #621: Aug 17, 2013 03:39:39 pm
      Strange game.

We were brilliant at times and but for begovic could have had 6 or more. But yet we still might not have had 3 points. Thought we faded badly in the last 20 minutes. Possibly could or should have brought on an extra body in the middle of the park. But at the end of the day the 3 points were won and that's all that's ever important.

Had to laugh when Owen said he was looking forward to hearing David James view on Mingolets flapping, it reminded me of Jamo! I said after the Olympiakos game Id be concerned with Mignolet with the ball at his feet and I still am but a quality shot stopper no doubt.

Every good thing we do is through Coutinho and he's still learning. Brilliant player. Lucas looks like hes nearly back to his best. Aspas impressed me today and nice to see Sturridge play 90 minutes. He has the ability to score 20 or more this season if fit.

Slight concerns over us still with high balls into the box. Hopefully that's something that can be worked on in trsining or maybe a new signing?

Overall pleased with the win and the vast majority of the performance. If we keep that approach and just take our chances that we create we will have an enjoyable season   
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #622: Aug 17, 2013 03:42:26 pm
      Lucas Motm for me, simply because pretty much everything we did went through him at some point, add to that his break up play, reading of the game, the platform he provided for us to attack, and he defended well whilst also picking out some lovely passes.
      Cracking game from him.

Mignolet saved the game for us, but Lucas was consistently excellent all match.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #623: Aug 17, 2013 03:46:35 pm
      Lucas was MOTM, Mignolet had the 'moment of the match' but really shocked to see so many people vote for him as the best player in the game for us, maybe not everyone watched...
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #624: Aug 17, 2013 03:47:48 pm
      Despite his heroics with the saved pen, I wasn't terribly impressed with Mignolet one iota and hope it was just nerves and he gets a lot better because on today's match, it seems we definitely bought the wrong Keeper. Coutinho again showed just how important a player he's going to be for us. If we can add Willian to the squad, I'll be pretty confident about a top 4 push this year. The only negative thing I'll say about us today is we're still suffering from a lack of of being clinical in front of goal. Too many chances for a return on one goal today, despite how immense Begovic was. We need to start converting our chances in to goals.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #625: Aug 17, 2013 03:50:10 pm
      we definitely bought the wrong Keeper.

Huh? Did we watch a completely different game? It would have been a draw had he not made a brilliant penalty save and then the rebound.

He was nervous in the first half, but give the lad some credit. He was the difference between 1 point and 3 points and that was why I voted him MOTM.

No idea why we win, he makes a brilliant double save and fans are complaining about tiny things he did wrong, in his very first game.

Seems like some fans like complaining for the sake of it.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #626: Aug 17, 2013 03:51:01 pm
      Just really glad it didn't turn into our usual where we create enough chances to easily win the game but could have so easily came away with nothing.
      Having said that i thought we played very well and thoroughly deserved all 3 points.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #627: Aug 17, 2013 03:51:49 pm
      Lucas back to his best. Loved his attitude today and some of passes and tackles outstanding.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #628: Aug 17, 2013 03:52:16 pm
      Loved the reaction

HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Reply #629: Aug 17, 2013 03:52:37 pm
      Team effort and lots of good performances all around, but without Simon's saves it could have been different story. MOTM stuff, imo.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #630: Aug 17, 2013 03:53:22 pm
      Noticed that too Arrie, top class
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #631: Aug 17, 2013 03:54:08 pm
      I like the attitude of Kolo, running and tackling non-stop and he has definitely given us the stability in defence.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #632: Aug 17, 2013 03:55:54 pm
      Reaction of the crowd that made the moment.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #633: Aug 17, 2013 03:57:16 pm

I didn't. They had a corner coming up we should have been sorting ourselves for that rather then patting each other on the back. Had we conceded from the corner the save would have been meaningless
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #634: Aug 17, 2013 03:59:21 pm
      I didn't. They had a corner coming up we should have been sorting ourselves for that rather then patting each other on the back. Had we conceded from the corner the save would have been meaningless

Must admit me and my lad were shouting at the bloody telly - I bawled the kids out this morning for losing a goal after celebrating a piece of defending so it was still raw!
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #635: Aug 17, 2013 04:01:03 pm
      Love the way Simon was intimidating Walters by hitting the bar before the pen, beast!
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #636: Aug 17, 2013 04:02:30 pm

The amount of testosterone in that celebration is frightening haha!
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #637: Aug 17, 2013 04:02:42 pm

True, but Minoglet was the first to point to the corner and command the defence... A bit of a ropey start, but with the Kop behind you I can see why it would be - a great save before half time and the pen save will do him no harm whatsoever.

Toure looked class, Couthino is amazing and Aspas looked dangerous. Make no mistake, Stoke set out to aggitate us defend well with the counter attack and set peices. We looked poor at the latter, but again there is almost no one better at set peices than a Pulis / Hughes team at that and they will get one over on a lot more from other teams. Winning today was great and to be honest, had this been another team we would have got a few in my opinion.

Great performance and great result today - amped and now looking forward to next week..!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #638: Aug 17, 2013 04:04:56 pm

And that's exactly what Mignolet is telling them.  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #639: Aug 17, 2013 04:06:56 pm
      Wasn't really as though we didn't take our chances today because we hit the woodwork twice and were denied many times by Begovic, had it not been for Begovic we would have easily of gotten 4!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #640: Aug 17, 2013 04:22:45 pm
      Possession. Check.
      Plenty of chances. Check.
      Woodwork hit. Check.
      Opposition with 11 men behind the ball. Check.
      Opposition keeper having the best game of his life. Check.

Getting shafted in the last minute and only getting a draw.  Uncheck.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #641: Aug 17, 2013 04:23:30 pm
      Wasn't really as though we didn't take our chances today because we hit the woodwork twice and were denied many times by Begovic, had it not been for Begovic we would have easily of gotten 4!

I think though you have 25 plus attempts on goals with only one goal to show for it any way you look at it we didn't take our chances plain and simple. We should of had the game wrapped up by half time and not have to put ourselves through a stressful second half. Most of the players looked pretty good, Couthino looks like he never lost of beat from last season, thought Johnson on the right had a really good game going both ways.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #642: Aug 17, 2013 04:23:56 pm
      And look who tweeted from our ex-players
      Luis Garcia,
      Liverpool cult hero Luis Garcia ‏(@LuchoGarcia14) enjoyed the 1-0 victory: “Morning-Afternoon! Great game to start the weekend, Reds with the three points on the first game vs Stoke. #YNWA”

Legend.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #643: Aug 17, 2013 04:25:16 pm
      Rodger's assessment pretty much a year ago that Lucas wouldn't be back to his best until a year later (which is NOW) seems pretty accurate. He was outstanding today, looked like the Lucas we know.

Quick Reply