Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: LFC v Stoke

Philippe Coutinho
      47 (24.6%)
      Simon Mignolet
      59 (30.9%)
      Iago Aspas
      9 (4.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      11 (5.8%)
      Kolo Toure
      13 (6.8%)
      Somebody else
      4 (2.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      45 (23.6%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2013 03:02:19 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 39654 times
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #644: Aug 17, 2013 04:27:15 pm
      My 2penneth worth;

Mignonet, shaky start, looked shaky on the crosses and distribution  but grew into the game. Top class shot stopping saves today.

Toure, awesome. Loads of energy, positioning was spot on today, knew when to push and and hold deep.

Enrique good defensively, still a bit frustrating up t'other end.

Lucas, best game in ages, absolutely massive performance. Looked a bit soft later on as he gre tired, worried as if he's injured we are fu**ed.

Gerrard, lovely deep playmaker passing today, cuts right through the defence and offers some proper penetration.

Coutinho. This guy is class, looked knackered at the end but he covered a lot of yards today. If Willian is as good as him,we'll be doing well.

Aspas, great debut, linked well, if he finds his finishing feet he'll be a massive asset indeed.

Sturridge. Touch looked a little rusty, to be expected after so long out. Held the ball up well when needed and showed some good skill. His finish was top drawer, feel he's going to be boss this season.

Overall dominated a physical stoke side, which was a banana skin in past years. Hopefully we won't hit the bar/post as much as we did today, couldn't handle another season like 11/12!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4941 
      Reply #645: Aug 17, 2013 04:33:27 pm
      Just in from work and absolutely delighted with the result. Also great to see us seeing out the win thanks to the saves from Mignolet.

Looking forward to watching it later now.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #646: Aug 17, 2013 04:34:53 pm
      You do realize that with Reina we would have drawn or lost, right?

No way in bloody hell Reina would have saved that penalty, and most likely he would have conceded another goal on a blooper.

Last season we could have made top four, were it not for the stupid goals that meant vital points were lost on easy matches -- all of which were responsibility of Reina's blooping propensity.

At long last, we have a decent goalkeeper. But... if only we had got rid of Reina one year ago... oh, what could have been... :-\
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #647: Aug 17, 2013 04:35:04 pm
      One negative about this game - Michael Owen the commentator! His voice just grates! Had to mute it!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #648: Aug 17, 2013 04:37:51 pm
      One negative about this game - Michael Owen the commentator! His voice just grates! Had to mute it!

He's like Strauss on the cricket commentary.
      Monotone, and always on about how he played and the players he played with.
      Surely BT can come up with better.

Still not as bad as townsend mind, but then who is?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3959 
      Reply #649: Aug 17, 2013 04:39:05 pm

Always blank the commentary anyway.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #650: Aug 17, 2013 04:41:18 pm
      I didn't. They had a corner coming up we should have been sorting ourselves for that rather then patting each other on the back. Had we conceded from the corner the save would have been meaningless

Yea that's what I saying about Mignolet shouting at everyone to get back in position, good leadership already
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #651: Aug 17, 2013 04:42:26 pm

No way in bloody hell Reina would have saved that penalty, and most likely he would have conceded another goal on a blooper.

there is no way of knowing that.
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #652: Aug 17, 2013 04:45:27 pm
      HAHAHAHAHAHA Gunners 3-1 down. Why would Suarez join them!?!?!?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #653: Aug 17, 2013 04:45:28 pm
      After todays results, will Suarez be wondering what he has been doing this summer? Arsenal losing 3-1 at home to Villa.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #654: Aug 17, 2013 04:49:34 pm
      HAHAHAHAHAHA Gunners 3-1 down. Why would Suarez join them!?!?!?

Looking at f%*k face w**ker after a defeat is a joy. Talking of 40 m plus GBP 1, cheapskate.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2013 05:06:24 pm by redkop63 »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #655: Aug 17, 2013 04:55:17 pm
      Haha.  Suarez will be changing his mind I think. I am happy we won. All the times we hit the post could have cost us.  25 shots and 1 goal. We need to do better. I don't understand why we hit the post so much.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #656: Aug 17, 2013 04:58:30 pm
      I am delighted with the all the lads today. They pressed and passed really well, the front three confused the F**k out of the defense, the movement was great...and a penalty save in the last minute...excellent.

Stoke are always a banana skin, but I don't think they were anywhere near us and if their keeper wasn't MOTM they would have had a real hiding today.

Well done lads.
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #657: Aug 17, 2013 05:00:52 pm
      If the scums going to lose against Swansea, This will really make my day.
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Reply #658: Aug 17, 2013 05:01:06 pm

Last season we could have made top four, were it not for the stupid goals that meant vital points were lost on easy matches -- all of which were responsibility of Reina's blooping propensity.

At long last, we have a decent goalkeeper. But... if only we had got rid of Reina one year ago... oh, what could have been... :-\

You really are a dick aren't you. What about all of the great saves alongside the mistakes. Mignonet could have easily cost us a goal with his early flapping (and luckily for us it hit the cross bar), would you have been calling for Reina back then?

One swallow does not make a summer. I think he's going to be class, but I won't say it was the right decision to let Reina go until a bit further into the season!
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Reply #659: Aug 17, 2013 05:02:08 pm

It kept pissing me off when he was saying how well Stoke were playing, what bloody game was he watching!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #660: Aug 17, 2013 05:04:58 pm
      You really are a dick aren't you. What about all of the great saves alongside the mistakes. Mignonet could have easily cost us a goal with his early flapping (and luckily for us it hit the cross bar), would you have been calling for Reina back then?

One swallow does not make a summer. I think he's going to be class, but I won't say it was the right decision to let Reina go until a bit further into the season!

When it came down to the crunch saves where there was no flexibility for error, Mignolet did not disappoint. The Walters shot in the first half and then the penalty - I doubt many other keepers including Reina would have saved both of those.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #661: Aug 17, 2013 05:05:23 pm

He is a Wum of the highest order, don't even waste a breath on that fool.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #662: Aug 17, 2013 05:11:31 pm
      greatwin only thing worry me was we should be winning more when we on top
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #663: Aug 17, 2013 05:20:03 pm
      It kept pissing me off when he was saying how well Stoke were playing, what bloody game was he watching!

Sadly, anyone who opts to play for Stoke should have their head seen to. Cannot understand what he meant.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,025 posts | 3959 
      Reply #664: Aug 17, 2013 05:26:51 pm

How can anyone say Pepe wouldn't have done what? Moreso on this forum.
      We have all witnessed the superhuman feats the man was capable of. In spite of which some gobs***e chooses to dismiss the sterling service he gave LFC with some snide comparison which is not tenable and of no relevance whatever.
      If I were describing a Liverpool supporter I would suggest they should be ashamed of themselves, obviously I am not.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #665: Aug 17, 2013 05:30:19 pm
      greatwin only thing worry me was we should be winning more when we on top

Started the season the same way we ended the last one. We really did batter them 1-0.
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Reply #666: Aug 17, 2013 06:06:41 pm
      When it came down to the crunch saves where there was no flexibility for error, Mignolet did not disappoint. The Walters shot in the first half and then the penalty - I doubt many other keepers including Reina would have saved both of those.

Agree completely, as I said in the match thread, his shot stopping was of the highest calibre. Just don't see how people can say Pepe wouldnt have done as well today.

Quick Reply