Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: LFC v Stoke

Philippe Coutinho
      47 (24.6%)
      Simon Mignolet
      59 (30.9%)
      Iago Aspas
      9 (4.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      11 (5.8%)
      Kolo Toure
      13 (6.8%)
      Somebody else
      4 (2.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      45 (23.6%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2013 03:02:19 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 41433 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #690: Aug 17, 2013 09:08:00 pm
      Just saw the goal then, having not seen any of the game due to work. Made up with the result, and pleased for Mignolet about the penalty save.

Same problem as ever though with us, need to be professional and clinical in front of goal or we will drop points in games in which we dominate.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #691: Aug 17, 2013 09:11:34 pm
      Well, was great to be able to enjoy the day after Mig's save and 3 points earlier :) Hopefully we can continue the good start to the season.
      Voted Coutinho in the poll, even though I thought he tired a bit in last 15 - could've picked from a few really.
      Quick mention for Sturridge, quick feet, played well and was THE one who calmly took his chance to stick it in the backofthenet.
      Good result for Villa today, didn't see the game, but looks like next match will be more difficult that I thought ... but roll it on, we are on a winning run !! :)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #692: Aug 17, 2013 09:14:50 pm
      Some thoughts about the match:

I am VERY happy. The team played 90 full minutes, which was exactly what we needed. They pressed Stoke from the first whistle to the last. Constantly testing their back lines and just harrasing them for the entire match. I thought Sturridge played brilliant considering his lack of pre season time. His goal was great and was scored at the perfect time. It got the nerves out and the team just took it too Stoke from then on. We could of easily had 3 more goals. 3 shots hit the post, which has seemed to be an issue for us the last few seasons, but we managed to win despite the occasional bad luck.

Coutinho is already playing like an old veteran. He seems to have gotten over the nervous play we saw last season and that was a slight concern so I am very happy. I also loved how he got right in the face of Nzonzi and almost punched him. If you watch the replay of it Coutinho gets up after Nzonzi fouled him, with his fist coming up to Nzonzi's face and he caught himself and instead Lucas came in and the both of them just went right after him.

Poor Jordan Henderson...He had 3 goals just miss. 2 just missed another hit the bar and he was peppering the goal area. Henderson was in every attempt, mad some great passes and had Stoke beat. Their were a few times he held the ball too long, but it could be just 1st game nerves. He needs to feed the ball out a little more but he was all over the pitch and looked good

Aspas was impressive, I would like to see more from him. He seemed to have a great touch, moved the ball easily, had some beautiful passes which connected and a few which just missed their mark, but he was impressive and was in the box every chance. He also kept the ball to long. Their were a few times he shot instead of passing which could of been the better choice but thats something Gerrard and Rodgers will talk to him about and plus, its his first game in the EPL, 1st game at Anfield and of the season. So, its ok.

Gerrard...played like a 22 year old. What more can I say. He was in every play at goal, he played 90 min, defended his teammates, he played like a captain. He was all over the pitch and I am surprised at how he managed the field and his teammates. I thought he would be a little lost w/out Carra and Reina. But he had them playing smart and as one.

Mignolet.  Very shaky the first half. He was almost caught with the ball a few times. He made some saves in the first half which were just awkward and nervous. 2nd half he settled, made some great saves and managed to get into the match. The Pen save was BEAUTIFUL and the follow up attempt was also great. He saved our win and thats exactly what he needed to start the season as the new GK. At first I was nervous but now, I think he got rid of his nerves and he took to his new role as the Liverpool GK.

Rodgers had this team focused and had them playing as one. for the most part, the team hardly had first game jitters. The new players seemed to be prepared and comfortable. Rodgers does not look effected by the bad press and Luis Suarez affair. His gameplan worked, we had complete control of this match, Stoke was unable to keep us out of their half and unable to maintain the control they did get. Their were a few instances of them not clearing on set pieces. That has been an issue for years now.

We already broke a 12 season streak of no win opening matches. We took 3 points and thats perfect. Looking forward to Villa.
      « Last Edit: Aug 17, 2013 09:25:18 pm by YANK_LFC_FAN »
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #693: Aug 17, 2013 09:26:21 pm
      Some thoughts about the match:

I am VERY happy. The team played 90 full minutes, which was exactly what we needed. They pressed Stoke from the first whistle to the last. Constantly testing their back lines and just harrasing them for the entire match. I thought Sturridge played brilliant considering his lack of pre season time. His goal was great and was scored at the perfect time. It got the nerves out and the team just took it too Stoke from then on. We could of easily had 3 more goals. 3 shots hit the post, which has seemed to be an issue for us the last few seasons, but we managed to win despite the occasional bad luck.

Coutinho is already playing like an old veteran. He seems to have gotten over the nervous play we saw last season and that was a slight concern so I am very happy. I also loved how he got right in the face of Nzonzi and almost punched him. If you watch the replay of it Coutinho gets up after Nzonzi fouled him, with his fist coming up to Nzonzi's face and he caught himself and instead Lucas came in and the both of them just went right after him.

Poor Jordan Henderson...He had 3 goals just miss. 2 just missed another hit the bar and he was peppering the goal area. Henderson was in every attempt, mad some great passes and had Stoke beat. Their were a few times he held the ball too long, but it could be just 1st game nerves. He needs to feed the ball out a little more but he was all over the pitch and looked good

Aspas was impressive, I would like to see more from him. He seemed to have a great touch, moved the ball easily, had some beautiful passes which connected and a few which just missed their mark, but he was impressive and was in the box every chance. He also kept the ball to long. Their were a few times he shot instead of passing which could of been the better choice but thats something Gerrard and Rodgers will talk to him about and plus, its his first game in the EPL, 1st game at Anfield and of the season. So, its ok.

Gerrard...played like a 22 year old. What more can I say. He was in every play at goal, he played 90 min, defended his teammates, he played like a captain. He was all over the pitch and I am surprised at how he managed the field and his teammates. I thought he would be a little lost w/out Carra and Reina. But he had them playing smart and as one.

Mignolet.  Very shaky the first half. He was almost caught with the ball a few times. He made some saves in the first half which were just awkward and nervous. 2nd half he settled, made some great saves and managed to get into the match. The Pen save was BEAUTIFUL and the follow up attempt was also great. He saved our win and thats exactly what he needed to start the season as the new GK. At first I was nervous but now, I think he got rid of his nerves and he took to his new role as the Liverpool GK.

Rodgers had this team focused and had them playing as one. for the most part, the team hardly had first game jitters. The new players seemed to be prepared and comfortable. Rodgers does not look effected by the bad press and Luis Suarez affair. His gameplan worked, we had complete control of this match, Stoke was unable to keep us out of their half and unable to maintain the control they did get. Their were a few instances of them not clearing on set pieces. That has been an issue for years now.

We already broke a 5 year streak of no win opening matches. We took 3 points and thats perfect. Looking forward to Villa.

Yeah unlucky with Henderson today. I thought he did perfectly well today. I think it was important to have muscle there in the midfield to ensure Stoke wouldn't bully us off the ball, and I thought he got in the right positions and provided that strength in midfield. It's great to have him at Liverpool I feel because he provides depth, and of course, he's still a young player. A goal would have been great for him to settle down for the next few games, but I don't think he should be worried. He is a confidence player and I'm pleased he's still here.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #694: Aug 17, 2013 09:26:42 pm
      A very very good victory, lots of high tempo and interchange play. I thought Lucas, Coutinho, Aspas and Toure were out best performers.

Brilliant save from Mignolet after a nervous start and also a great double save from the penalty.

We still need to work on our defensive set pieces, though it was Stoke, probably the best team in England at set plays, they would always cause problems.

Also our finishing. Begovic was majestic but we need to take chances. Man Utd went to a tricky away match to Swansea today, and still scored 4 goals. Much tougher opposition than Stoke, but they took our chances. Maybe we can finish games off when Sturridge is fully 100% and Luis is back :)
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #695: Aug 17, 2013 09:28:03 pm
      There were signs of that formidable team spirit that has been sadly lacking but exhibited by Utd and Chelski.

When Mignolet saved the penalty....what a reaction by the team including the skipper
      Coutinho squaring up to a player twice his size
      Some 100% crunching tackles
      Lucas heading off the line and punching the air
      The team reaction at the end
      BR saying 'Top of the League" in his interview rather than the usual 'its a long season'

Wow
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #696: Aug 17, 2013 09:30:04 pm
      A very very good victory, lots of high tempo and interchange play. I thought Lucas, Coutinho, Aspas and Toure were out best performers.

Brilliant save from Mignolet after a nervous start and also a great double save from the penalty.

We still need to work on our defensive set pieces, though it was Stoke, probably the best team in England at set plays, they would always cause problems.

Also our finishing. Begovic was majestic but we need to take chances. Man Utd went to a tricky away match to Swansea today, and still scored 4 goals. Much tougher opposition than Stoke, but they took our chances. Maybe we can finish games off when Sturridge is fully 100% and Luis is back :)

One thing with Laudrup's Swansea - and I'm not trying to discredit Man Utd's victory - but they are a very 'gung ho' attacking team at the moment, and while that has done wonders for them, there is genuine concern about the defence. They are not as astute in defence as they were under Brendan.
      zodak
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 116 posts | 10 
      Reply #697: Aug 17, 2013 09:41:46 pm
      Just got back from the game - fantastic result. Am absolutely hoarse after shouting at the ref (to blow the whistle, for the penalty, for the disallowed goal, for blatant fouls missed); yelling (Well played Lucas mostly!); and screaming like a mad eejit after the penalty double-save!! Anfield rocked after the saves!

A few observations:

Lucas was immense (my MOTM). Superb tackles, excellent distribution, a save off the line, and  broke up play and kept things ticking along. Him and Gerrard have developed a real camaraderie and we see them talking to each other all the time now.

Aerial threats - we seem to be still all at sea whenever the ball is up in the air and we don't seem to have any solid reassurance whenever a long ball is punted in. It was extremely unnerving every time we conceded a corner or the ball was in the air.

Anfield - it was slightly embarrassing when the Stoke away crowd was louder than us at times. However, something I hope we can sort out as we get into the swing of things.

Solid spine - A spine comprising of Toure, Agger, Lucas, Gerrard, Coutinho, Suarez is top class. Screw Champions League, let's aim to be Champions! (yes, yes, it has only been one game, but what are we Liverpool fans, if not eternal optimists!).

Speaking of Super Kolo - Real leadership demonstrated by him. His pedigree was clear to see and I think the younger lads could do well to learn from him.

Great game overall - and here's to another 37 great games for us!

bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #698: Aug 17, 2013 09:51:24 pm
      Great start today, we could and should have scored more, I voted Jordan the man of the match, he seems to have picked up from where he left off and where Yank LFC stated - could have had 5 goals, was full of energy and I was very impressed with him. His runs forward into the box were very Gerrard-esque - not saying he IS Gerrard - but his energy certainly is! I'm sure we'll see a lot more of that from him this year.

Everyone did well really, Aspas looked good, just needs more time in England to settle, maybe like Coutinho when he first joined is not quite up to speed with the English game. Sturridge looked promising and could have had a hat-trick, he showed great technique on the goal - as well as vision to pick his spot. Coutinho was creating as per usual, Lucas and Gerrard helped control the midfield for the majority of the game, Hendo already mentioned, Kolo looks very good even at the age of 32, was unlucky to hit the bar! Agger was unlucky with the penalty - and was good throughout much of the game. Enrique and Johnno didn't have too much to do as we were attacking for most of the game. Migs will settle with time and that penalty save will give him much needed confidence.

All in all a promising start without being exceptional, but that will come with time!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #699: Aug 17, 2013 09:52:53 pm
      exactly, this win is a massive statement to the haters on here, moaning and being negative, you saw today what our summer improvement has done for us already

we got 2 or possibly 3 points extra already with a new keeper

for you haters, start supporting the team now! this is lfc, we need to be one.

remember, keepthefaith

Who are the haters ?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #700: Aug 17, 2013 09:53:51 pm
      I can't believe that the last time we won our
      opening home game was in 2001 ...can anyone
      correct me if Iam wrong....

2007. Before this we hadn't won one in five years.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #701: Aug 17, 2013 09:58:34 pm
      2007. Before this we hadn't won one in five years.

2007 win was at Villa Park.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #702: Aug 17, 2013 10:02:52 pm
      A fantastic game it was , I thought Mignolet was looking nervous and made some mistakes in the beginning but he settled down and saved our bacon , he made some extraordinary saves and that penalty save will do his confidence the world of good . we need to sort out our problems with defending set pieces or it will haunt us , we deserved the win and should have scored a lot more .
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #703: Aug 17, 2013 10:03:54 pm
      Heard the result in work, sounds as if Mignolet saved the day, with what I read in the report, a stunning double save. Glad to see Sturridge on the score sheet in the opening game of the season.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #704: Aug 17, 2013 11:34:36 pm
      I thought Lucas was our best player easily, he was outstanding.
      Would say he deffo deserved a shout mate, said earlier he looks like he did pre injury. Which is great news, if I remember rightly we was playing great footy before he got injured.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #705: Aug 17, 2013 11:38:13 pm
       I don't see "haters" on the forum, and I hope that each time we win a game we don't see references to fans who don't exist.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #706: Aug 17, 2013 11:40:18 pm
      I don't see "haters" on the forum, and I hope that each time we win a game we don't see references to fans who don't exist.

Very very well said.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #707: Aug 17, 2013 11:44:33 pm

Indeed it was.

Win our first game and some still feel the need to prove something or other.

Anyway just waiting on the full game coming on LFCtv in a while.

Didn't watch the highlights so not to spoil it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #708: Aug 17, 2013 11:47:25 pm
      Just saw the goal then, having not seen any of the game due to work. Made up with the result, and pleased for Mignolet about the penalty save.

Same problem as ever though with us, need to be professional and clinical in front of goal or we will drop points in games in which we dominate.

I don't think that was our problem. We did everything right in trying to get a second and third and fourth goal but sadly their goalkeeper was equal to most things we threw at them. Two moments stick out where we could and should have scored and that was Hendo's first chance and Sturridge's chance after the Kolo header. Hendo's third opportunity when he smashed it against the post you could count but everything about that shot seemed clinical and perfect to me. But apart from those moments the rest was down to their goalkeeper. Sometimes you've just got to hold your hands up and say 'fair play to that guy'. Very similar to when we played against Alex McCarthy in the Reading goal back in April. That was an astounding performance just like Begovic's.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #709: Aug 17, 2013 11:50:10 pm
      Chuffed.

Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #710: Aug 17, 2013 11:51:33 pm
      Watching the game back on MOTD was like a completely different game. I don't know how it looked live on telly but from my point of view, we walked over them and they were sh*te.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #711: Aug 17, 2013 11:57:56 pm
      Brilliant game to watch.  Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but it really looked today like there was a hunger to win, a hunger I didn't see often last season.  The lads were all fighting for each other, putting in tackles, really going for it.  When Sturridge scored, for example, the way they mobbed him, it was like he had just won the World Cup!  last season after goals there were some nice smiles and hugs but today the lads all went berserk.  they really, really wanted it, they had fire in their bellies, that's exactly what we need: passion, even against the lower sides, if we want to get into the top four.

Thought Sturridge was brilliant today, as was Lucas, who is my MOTM.  Enrique's been getting a lot of stick lately and going forward he is admittedly not the sharpest tool in the shed, but defensively today he was top drawer, pushed some of their lads off the ball, had some good interceptions, thought he did really well.  Toure also acquitted himself nicely, if we keep Skrtel then I don't see why Agger/Toure/Skrtel as our primary options for CB wouldn't suffice.  Even Henderson played well today, constantly pressing, if we could match his work rate with Coutinho's talent, wow, what a player we'd have.

Jury's still out on Mignolet for me.  He was really shaky in the first half, got caught a couple of times and nearly made a few stupid mistakes, but that save and then the way our lads all mobbed him was really amazing to see.  It was almost like, THAT was the moment Mignolet came out of his shell and became a Liverpool player.  When Stevie runs up to you and gives you a huge hug, you know you belong.   ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #712: Aug 18, 2013 12:03:19 am
      Anyway just waiting on the full game coming on LFCtv in a while.

Didn't watch the highlights so not to spoil it.

bas**rds are off air until 10am.

:f_steam:

In the listings for The Match Extra as well.

Furious.

Quick Reply