Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Tiago Ilori (Liverpool -> Reading)

Read 102001 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Tiago Ilori Player Thread
      Reply #322: Jun 23, 2015 10:29:06 pm
      That doesnt mean that we throw Ilori in

Can had played at a high level on a regular basis before coming to us Ilori hadnt

Allow him the time to develop - there is no rush

I'm not saying we should have thrown him in. I said we should have given him a bit of an opportunity in the cup games. You then said we had many other players playing in that position - Which wasn't actually the case and now you are saying I said we should have basically thrown him in as a regular when he needs to be allowed time to develop. Well the cup games are a good opportunity to allow him a bit of playing time and help with his development, which incidentally is what I was saying anyway but you seem to think I am saying we should have him playing week in week out. I wanted him to be given a few games last season so that this season he would hopefully be ready to be more involved so by the time he is around 24 he is more than capable of holding his own in our defence.

Also when you pay £7million for a nipper, you expect them to have been involved to at least some degree by now. Tex and Ibe were given a few games so the same should have been done with this lad, especially seeing as he is a regular at his U21 national team so he can handle himself, and showed he doesn't shy away from the likes of Messi.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #323: Jun 23, 2015 10:30:39 pm
      Really hope Ilori is given a shot with us this season, even if it's only as a Europa and cup player. He's got loads of potential and his pace is definitely an asset for a team that's trying to play a high line.

That said, we might be in a bit of a danger of over-hyping him a touch. We tend to do that to players not playing for us.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #324: Jun 23, 2015 10:30:40 pm
      The problem is the cup games dont give the players enough playing time to develop - they need playing time week in week out.

Giving him a few games and then no other playing time does nothing for player development - thats why these players go out on loan
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #325: Jun 23, 2015 10:55:53 pm
      The problem is the cup games dont give the players enough playing time to develop - they need playing time week in week out.

Giving him a few games and then no other playing time does nothing for player development - thats why these players go out on loan

we've got the europa league to deal with....ilori will get plenty of chances
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #326: Jun 23, 2015 11:14:26 pm

Oh what and loaning him out from league to league is going to do him good? If we are loaning him out it should be to an English team so he can get used to the football over here. We had a decent cup run last season, we had the Europa League that we fell into as well (all be it briefly). There would have been plenty of chance for him to get some minutes under his belt.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #327: Jun 23, 2015 11:20:57 pm
      Oh what and loaning him out from league to league is going to do him good? If we are loaning him out it should be to an English team so he can get used to the football over here. We had a decent cup run last season, we had the Europa League that we fell into as well (all be it briefly). There would have been plenty of chance for him to get some minutes under his belt.

Of course its doing him good - its how the player develops, by playing week in week out.

The club would have picked which club he went on loan to so that it tailors to his needs for his current stage of development

His next step if he isnt playing for us will be to go to a prem club.

Its a natural progression to ensure the players develop properly.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #328: Jun 23, 2015 11:25:50 pm
      Of course its doing him good - its how the player develops, by playing week in week out.

The club would have picked which club he went on loan to so that it tailors to his needs for his current stage of development

His next step if he isnt playing for us will be to go to a prem club.

Its a natural progression to ensure the players develop properly.

Complete nonsense. All it is doing is getting him used to Spanish and French football which are nothing like English football. Spanish may be fairly quick in amongst the top teams but it isn't remotely physical and as for the French League, well I can't see why any player would want to go there.

We loaned Ibe, Coates and Tex out to English teams, are you saying we done that wrong and they should have gone abroad first? 2 of them players have even less experience than Ilori too, who don't forget does have first team experience from his time in Portugal too.

Sakho was his age when he signed for us, around 23 and he was in with the first team and whether he was first team at PSG or not, he was still young and you said there aren't many that age who are playing as a regular. Agger, another example, was young too when he came to us but he was involved.

He should have been given a chance by now but instead I expect we will just ship him out on loan again whilst struggling by with half wit Lovren and giving Toure a new contract when he doesn't even play.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #329: Jun 23, 2015 11:40:14 pm
      Complete nonsense. All it is doing is getting him used to Spanish and French football which are nothing like English football. Spanish may be fairly quick in amongst the top teams but it isn't remotely physical and as for the French League, well I can't see why any player would want to go there.

How is it complete nonsense ? Fully qualified coaches decided that the place they wanted him to go to get game time to develop was in Spain - they are far more qualified than you or I and see the player up close to judge

We loaned Ibe, Coates and Tex out to English teams, are you saying we done that wrong and they should have gone abroad first? 2 of them players have even less experience than Ilori too, who don't forget does have first team experience from his time in Portugal too.

Every single player is judged on their own individual merits - there isnt a one size fits all for development. Each player will be assess and then a descion made.
      Sakho was his age when he signed for us, around 23 and he was in with the first team and whether he was first team at PSG or not, he was still young and you said there aren't many that age who are playing as a regular. Agger, another example, was young too when he came to us but he was involved.
      Sahko was 23 and played 150 games for PSG plus 15 full internationals when we signed him

Agger was 22 and a full international for Denmark and yet still hardly played for the first season

again every player is different

He should have been given a chance by now but instead I expect we will just ship him out on loan again whilst struggling by with half wit Lovren and giving Toure a new contract when he doesn't even play.

What is the rush ? What happens if we throw him in and it just destroys him because he wasnt ready ?

How about the coaches make the choice to decide when he is ready or not ??
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #330: Jun 23, 2015 11:52:47 pm
      How is it complete nonsense ? Fully qualified coaches decided that the place they wanted him to go to get game time to develop was in Spain - they are far more qualified than you or I and see the player up close to judge

Nonsense because loaning him out to leagues that are nothing like the one he has signed for isn't going to get him ready for it is it!

Every single player is judged on their own individual merits - there isnt a one size fits all for development. Each player will be assess and then a descion made.

Okay so when looking at Ilori they thought "I know, lets send him to the French league which is slow and not physical"....Genius thinking that. Chances are it was just what worked best for the club financially.

Sahko was 23 and played 150 games for PSG plus 15 full internationals when we signed him

Agger was 22 and a full international for Denmark and yet still hardly played for the first season

again every player is different

Irrelevant how much experience they had, you were saying there are few around at that age when straight away I came up with 2 examples.

Another example, now excuse me for it not being a CB but the situations are quite similar. Lucas Leiva, came to us a young age from Brazil, wasn't quite ready for the first team so spent a bit of time with the reserves and got gradually worked into the first team and busted a gut week in week out to prove himself. We have the U21's Ilori could have played in and cup competitions so the opportunity was there last season for him.

What is the rush ? What happens if we throw him in and it just destroys him because he wasnt ready ?

What is it with you and thinking I am saying to just throw him in? Are you not reading what I am putting?!
      What if it destroys him? That's a cop out of a reason if ever there was one. What if he proved a revelation? Maybe we should have loaned out Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard as youngsters in case playing would have destroyed them? Because that's your logic like.

Andre Wisdom was given a chance and he had his good moments and his bad moments, part of adjusting to football. After a bit of time in the first team it was clear he had to go out on loan to get more experience and hopefully he will come back stronger as a result so if Ilori was given some chances, then if it doesn't work out then you take it from there.

Martin Kelly was a youngster and given chances here and there and more often than not he played very well and had it not been for the injuries hampering his development I expect he would have been played a lot more than what he was.

How about the coaches make the choice to decide when he is ready or not ??

Yeah, you're right, no point in the player threads at all to discuss their developments because it's down to the coaches so no need to even have the debate or share our opinions, not like we are the ones who are going to be watching the team or anything...
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #331: Jun 24, 2015 12:00:58 am
      Players go where coaches think it will best help them develop

We will play games against European teams - it will do a player no harm at all to play games abroad in a different league - in fact it may well improve them.

I will say it again - there isnt a one size fits all method for developing youngsters. Clubs send their players all over the world

Look at Matic for example - arrived at Chelsea aged 19 i think it was - sent to Holland on loan for a season then was part of a trade with Benfica - turned into a World Class player. In fact they have players playing in leagues all over Europe.

A player doesnt have to develop in the country the club are playing in.

The U21's isnt strong enough to develop the players - hasnt been for years.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,348 posts | 2869 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #332: Jun 24, 2015 01:19:52 pm
      Id push for any young player to be given a chance as much as anybody, particularly this lad, and particularly in place of players who have nothing more to give (kolo).

But im not under pressure of losing my job, there in lies the difference. If the boss or any manager wants to give a young player particularly a defender a run of games to let them develop and the results dont go well there leaving themselves open to be fired or open to abuse from the support.

Personally I think this lad is well up to it and needs to be trusted
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #333: Jun 24, 2015 01:28:01 pm
      Id push for any young player to be given a chance as much as anybody, particularly this lad, and particularly in place of players who have nothing more to give (kolo).

But im not under pressure of losing my job, there in lies the difference. If the boss or any manager wants to give a young player particularly a defender a run of games to let them develop and the results dont go well there leaving themselves open to be fired or open to abuse from the support.

Personally I think this lad is well up to it and needs to be trusted

I agree Brian and I think we'll finally get to see him play next season.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,008 posts | 225 
      Reply #334: Jun 25, 2015 12:22:47 am
      went off injured in the 1st half tonight i don't think it looked serious well i hope not
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #335: Jun 25, 2015 12:52:20 am
      Bit of a strange one Ilori, given he is very very quick and can play at full back it was bizarre to me that he was sent out on loan whilst we persevered with the likes of Johnson and the youngster from Madrid (having a blonde moment and can't even remember his name he was that bad!) when Ilori might have been the best option. For the last month or two it seemed like we were playing 3 at the back purely BECAUSE we didn't have nay genuine full-backs.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #336: Jun 25, 2015 11:27:57 am
      Bit of a strange one Ilori, given he is very very quick and can play at full back it was bizarre to me that he was sent out on loan whilst we persevered with the likes of Johnson and the youngster from Madrid (having a blonde moment and can't even remember his name he was that bad!) when Ilori might have been the best option. For the last month or two it seemed like we were playing 3 at the back purely BECAUSE we didn't have nay genuine full-backs.
      i think we should atleast try him as a RWB pre-season to see how he does. i hope we keep him at the club as he came with such hype
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #337: Jun 25, 2015 11:11:38 pm
      Might be available for the final if Portugal make it, so not a serious injury.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #338: Jun 26, 2015 08:43:58 am
      Might be available for the final if Portugal make it, so not a serious injury.
      Is there any more news on his injury mate, hows he been playing not seen the portugal games
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,008 posts | 225 
      Reply #339: Jun 26, 2015 01:13:43 pm
      think it was a mussel pull on top of his thigh not 100% sure played OK nothing special clean sheets Portugal have only conceded the one goal and that was after he was subbed off with his injury
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #340: Jun 26, 2015 01:19:52 pm
      Is there any more news on his injury mate, hows he been playing not seen the portugal games

I agree with verde-rubro, he has been good, nothing special, but good. With Carvalho in front of him, he only needs to play in second gear :)
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,008 posts | 225 
      Reply #341: Jun 27, 2015 12:40:28 am
      found this on the uefa site
      • Tiago Ilori was the only injury concern following Wednesday's draw with Sweden. He left the field after 29 minutes of the match after picking up an injury to his left thigh but scans conducted the next day showed no real damage.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #342: Jun 27, 2015 09:08:53 am
      ILORI WANTS CHANCE

Tiago Ilori is desperate to break into Liverpool’s starting line-up, according to the player’s father.

Ilori joined Liverpool two years ago in a £7million deal from Sporting Lisbon, but has yet to make his debut for Brendan Rodgers’ side having been farmed out on loan to Granada and Bordeaux.

"He is determined to make a success of it at Liverpool," his father Kola said. "You don't give up on it lightly."

Courtesy of Sky Sports. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #343: Jun 27, 2015 05:04:07 pm

Best of luck to him too, I really like what I've seen of the lad, albeit limited.

An Ilori Skrtel Sakho defence would be a very good back 3 in my opinion.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #344: Jun 27, 2015 10:43:15 pm
      I've asked a few times if anyone can think of another centre half of a similar age to Ilori who features regularly at centre half in the Premiership, and there aren't many. That Mcnair lad at the Mancs and Blackstock or whatever he's called have played a few games. Chelsea have used Zuma here and there but only in midfield, other than that I can't think of many. Centre half is a position where you have to be a man, and Ilori isn't that yet.

Quick Reply