Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Tiago Ilori (Liverpool -> Reading)

Read 102489 times
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Re: Tiago Ilori Player Thread
      Reply #299: Jun 22, 2015 10:08:09 am
      found this  interesting article on the young player, to which I generally agree , and many times in the last few years we were in the same situations with other young players, Is it going to be the same with Joe Gomez?? ,

Tiago Ilori: What Was The Point?

With the news that Liverpool have signed Joe Gomez from Charlton for roughly £3.5 million it seems the club are intent on continuing their extremely questionable policy of bringing in young centre-backs with no intention of playing them.

Liverpool have made many similar signings over the years but the one that stands out is the transfer of Tiago Ilori from Sporting Lisbon at the end of the 2013 summer window.

Ilori signed on September 1st and almost two years later he has yet to play a single game. The transfer was said to be in the region of £7 million after add-ons. At least Liverpool have saved themselves a few bob as he looks in absolutely no danger of triggering those.

The young Portuguese was brought in with a good reputation at underage level and he had broken into the Sporting first-team at 20 years of age, playing 11 league games during his last season there.

Since then he has gone on loan to wherever Liverpool can find a willing recipient, playing nine matches for Granada in La Liga, including an impressive display in a 1-0 win over Barcelona, before spending last year on loan at Bordeaux where he was in and out of the side due to injuries, making 12 league starts in total.

Generally the idea when clubs sign young players is they loan them out in the hope of getting them experience for when they later return and challenge for a place. It is rarely a good omen for a player’s future at a club when they go on loan a second time.

full article >> http://www.punditarena.com/football/english-football/sbracken/tiago-ilori-point/

YNWA
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #300: Jun 22, 2015 10:47:34 am
      Been unlucky with Injuries like a lot of younger lads by sounds of it.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #301: Jun 22, 2015 12:25:38 pm
      if we play back 3 we need to use Ilori or it was yet again a waste of money along with Gomez
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #302: Jun 23, 2015 05:09:18 am
      if we play back 3 we need to use Ilori or it was yet again a waste of money along with Gomez

Your slap-dash comments are pretty sh*t, did you just call an EIGHTEEN year old we signed TWO DAYS AGO a waste of money?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #303: Jun 23, 2015 09:37:25 am
      Your slap-dash comments are pretty sh*t, did you just call an EIGHTEEN year old we signed TWO DAYS AGO a waste of money?
      errm no i didnt call him a waste of money! my point is if we dont give these young lads game time they end up just going out on loan and then being moved on for less than we paid which works out as a waste of money.

Ilori cost around 7mil and not played for us yet, coates cost a bit also and has had the odd spell but looks to be sold. i'm happy we are singing young lads like Gomez but we need to trust in some of the U21's also.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #304: Jun 23, 2015 09:41:42 am

You are a numpty. How many centre backs can you think of who are of a similar age to Illori who play regularly in the Premiership? That shows you hard it is, it doesn't mean he was a "waste of money". We're offering him a new contract so clearly we believe in him, but centre halves take time to mature. Do some reading on it or something.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #305: Jun 23, 2015 10:29:45 am
      Am I right in thinking that when we signed him he was identified as being lightning quick?  Have not seen any of the U21 games, but wondering if he still has pace to burn or have his injuries of last season taken their toll.  It would be great to see us again with a really quick centre back, something I don't think we have really had for a while (although how quick is Sakho, don't really remember seeing him run too much).
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #306: Jun 23, 2015 01:35:20 pm
      You are a numpty. How many centre backs can you think of who are of a similar age to Illori who play regularly in the Premiership? That shows you hard it is, it doesn't mean he was a "waste of money". We're offering him a new contract so clearly we believe in him, but centre halves take time to mature. Do some reading on it or something.
      dont want to argue with you mick as we are both fellow fans and that does no good, all i'm saying is it seems we are spending loads on defenders and stock piling them only to ship them on as they dont get a chance, i highly rate Ilori and want him in ahead of Lovren as he looks more composed on the ball and has pace, i'm happy with the new lad as a signing but at what cost to the U21's is it. its a statement that their not good enough, will him and ilori both just go in u21's for a season. if like you say CBs need more time whey are we not buying quality "older CBs" it seems last few years we've bought loads of "potential" again just my opion mate so lets not throw insults like "i'm a moron" as that's not constructive
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #307: Jun 23, 2015 01:36:17 pm
      could we not try playing this lad as RWB and use some of this lightening pace if we are not going to put in 2nd bid for clyne. Save our money and he gets game time, he seems good enough on the ball to handle that role and has pace.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #308: Jun 23, 2015 02:05:59 pm
      could we not try playing this lad as RWB and use some of this lightening pace if we are not going to put in 2nd bid for clyne. Save our money and he gets game time, he seems good enough on the ball to handle that role and has pace.

I agree Ajay.

I hope there is a plan with the Gomez boy thats a bit better than the one we have used for Ilori. Yes he is young but wth all the "options" we had last season at CB he wasnt recalled from his loan. If he was injured fair enough.

But also why cant we loan him to a Prem club, its a better loan deal to how he get on with the players he'll play against week in week out for us?

sometimes it seem we are buying players for the sake if it... they get minimal or no chance on the first team so whats the point!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #309: Jun 23, 2015 03:02:28 pm

But he might not be able to get up and down continuously and might not be great at passing or crossing. I think it could be a good idea to try him there though.

It's in the Sunderland Echo that he will reject a move to Sunderland because the city is too cold :D

Here's the link: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/sunderland-face-snub-from-liverpool-defender-1-7322093

The quote though comes from his father and not Tiago himself.

“We talked last week about the future of Tiago,” his father said. “They (Liverpool) say he will have a chance and go in the pre-season tour of Thailand.

“There are other clubs interested, like Sunderland, but Sunderland is a cold city.”
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #310: Jun 23, 2015 04:21:09 pm
      But he might not be able to get up and down continuously and might not be great at passing or crossing. I think it could be a good idea to try him there though.

It's in the Sunderland Echo that he will reject a move to Sunderland because the city is too cold :D

Here's the link: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/sunderland-face-snub-from-liverpool-defender-1-7322093

The quote though comes from his father and not Tiago himself.
      i hope we are not even conisidering selling Ilori when he's not played for the 1st team yet! we need to trust some of our buys and give them a go, cant be worse than the season Lovren had
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #311: Jun 23, 2015 08:57:25 pm
      Do they think Illori is Coates?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #312: Jun 23, 2015 09:00:11 pm
      Not bloody Sunderland again. They are an insipid vacuum of quality and progression epitomised by the fact they have John O'Shea and Wes Brown in defence.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #313: Jun 23, 2015 09:10:14 pm
      I presume the Ilori to Sunderland idea would have been a loan rather than permanent. I'd rather he go to a club that would 100% play him and not sit 3/4's of the season on the bench like Coates did.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #314: Jun 23, 2015 09:25:26 pm
      Reading through the TIA they said that Pre Season Ilori will be given the chance to stake a claim for a first team spot this season

Would be surprised to see him go on loan again

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/06/liverpool-offer-new-contract-first-team-chance-tiago-ilori/
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #315: Jun 23, 2015 09:41:16 pm
      Reading through the TIA they said that Pre Season Ilori will be given the chance to stake a claim for a first team spot this season

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/06/liverpool-offer-new-contract-first-team-chance-tiago-ilori/

I read that earlier but didn't think much of it. I hope it's true though.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #316: Jun 23, 2015 09:58:28 pm

So what would be going into his 3rd season since joining us, only now he may be given a chance in Pre-season.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #317: Jun 23, 2015 10:00:42 pm
      So what would be going into his 3rd season since joining us, only now he may be given a chance in Pre-season.

He is only 22 - its very rare for CB's to be starting featuring in the Prem regulary

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #318: Jun 23, 2015 10:02:41 pm
      He is only 22 - its very rare for CB's to be starting featuring in the Prem regulary

I'm not saying he should be starting. What I'm getting at is we should have been looking to break him into the team last season, League Cup, The FA Cup etc were good opportunities to so that we would hopefully be seeing a lot more of him this season.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #319: Jun 23, 2015 10:05:14 pm
      I'm not saying he should be starting. What I'm getting at is we should have been looking to break him into the team last season, League Cup, The FA Cup etc were good opportunities to so that we would hopefully be seeing a lot more of him this season.

We had many other CB's at the club to be playing in those games whilst Ilori gains regular week in week out playing time elsewhere.

Again he is only 22 - i suspect we wont see him much this season maybe even on loan in the Prem still a long way to go for him
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #320: Jun 23, 2015 10:09:59 pm
      We had many other CB's at the club to be playing in those games whilst Ilori gains regular week in week out playing time elsewhere.

Oh right, that's why we had to resort to playing Can in defence is it?

What about Lovren who was in terrible form? Sakho who was injured most the season? Toure who was just nothing basically...
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #321: Jun 23, 2015 10:13:25 pm
      Oh right, that's why we had to resort to playing Can in defence is it?

What about Lovren who was in terrible form? Sakho who was injured most the season? Toure who was just nothing basically...

That doesnt mean that we throw Ilori in

Can had played at a high level on a regular basis before coming to us Ilori hadnt

Allow him the time to develop - there is no rush

Quick Reply