Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 208110 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #460: May 06, 2014 01:33:51 pm
      I also thought Sakho was our best defender last night. I suppose when you pay as much as we have you expect a natural born leader rallying the troops. He may still be that player considering its his first season and English his second language.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #461: May 06, 2014 02:11:00 pm
      Like him.  Think he's done fairly well in his first season in the Premier League. 
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,220 posts | 841 
      Reply #462: May 06, 2014 02:18:45 pm
      I also thought Sakho was our best defender last night. I suppose when you pay as much as we have you expect a natural born leader rallying the troops. He may still be that player considering its his first season and English his second language.

I don't think language is a major factor for being a dominant defender, I do agree that if he becomes fluent in English we would see him communicate more with his teammates. However, he isn't dominant enough in terms decision making or aerial challenges.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #463: May 06, 2014 02:28:01 pm
      I don't think language is a major factor for being a dominant defender, I do agree that if he becomes fluent in English we would see him communicate more with his teammates. However, he isn't dominant enough in terms decision making or aerial challenges.

Think the language remark was made in reference to him being a leader on the field. If he can't communicate quickly with his teammates, it's hard for him to be a vocal leader.

His aerial challenges were fine last night. He was a beast.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #464: May 06, 2014 02:57:27 pm
      Yeah I also thought Sakho was the best of a back line that capitulated yesterday. He isn't the problem.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #465: May 06, 2014 04:10:21 pm
      Yeah I also thought Sakho was the best of a back line that capitulated yesterday. He isn't the problem.

To attempt to draw some positivity from the defensive shambles yesterday really is a trial, it is a case of who was least worst - it is that bad to be honest.
      To reiterate I would support the lad as long as he wears the shirt but do not see him as a first team choice at the next level to which we have to aspire, he is not on his own it has to be said. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #466: May 06, 2014 04:12:56 pm
      To attempt to draw some positivity from the defensive shambles yesterday really is a trial, it is a case of who was least worst - it is that bad to be honest.
      To reiterate I would support the lad as long as he wears the shirt but do not see him as a first team choice at the next level to which we have to aspire, he is not on his own it has to be said. 

Completely disagree, he wasn't the lease worst, he was "good" yesterday as he normally is. And he absolutely is of the caliber we will need going forward. Doesn't mean I'm not in favor of signing a world class defender, we can always strengthen in that respect. Buf if we don't "replace" Sakho, I won't have any problems with him starting next season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #467: May 06, 2014 04:35:13 pm
      Completely disagree, he wasn't the lease worst, he was "good" yesterday as he normally is. And he absolutely is of the caliber we will need going forward. Doesn't mean I'm not in favor of signing a world class defender, we can always strengthen in that respect. Buf if we don't "replace" Sakho, I won't have any problems with him starting next season.

I saw the word good and started with the reply, how was any aspect of our defence 'good'.
      The opposition were far from challenging, we have seen exactly the same situation all season and our goals for and against screams at you that the defence is not up to the job.
      Replacements en masse are required, if the issue isn't addressed replacements for some of our outstanding players might be needed.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #468: May 07, 2014 08:46:25 am
      Starting to see why we paid that much for him. He is brilliant, for me. Strong, good on the ball, a bit of pace and wins headers all day.

Love the lad.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #469: May 07, 2014 11:41:55 am
      I am still filled with doubts about him, he doesn't seem to have a partnership with Skrtel .... they both seem to just do their own thing rather than helping and covering for each other. His heading lacks power and he tends to get under the ball rather than moving to meet it.

His passing is excellent and his pace while he is not lightning fast is much faster than Skrtel or Agger. There is definitely a good player in there, but he seems too individualistic at the moment for me.

Probably a better player overall than Agger but not a better team player than Agger.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #470: May 07, 2014 11:47:44 am
      I am still filled with doubts about him, he doesn't seem to have a partnership with Skrtel .... they both seem to just do their own thing rather than helping and covering for each other. His heading lacks power and he tends to get under the ball rather than moving to meet it.

His passing is excellent and his pace while he is not lightning fast is much faster than Skrtel or Agger. There is definitely a good player in there, but he seems too individualistic at the moment for me.

Probably a better player overall than Agger but not a better team player than Agger.

I'd pretty much agree with that at the moment S@int.

I thought Demba Ba gave him quite a tough time and beat him a fair bit in the air and out muscled him too.

But I'd echo your point that there is a good player in there and he as at times (earlier on in fact) looked the business.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #471: May 07, 2014 12:21:45 pm

Spot on that Saint, good assessment.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,628 posts | 7146 
      Reply #472: May 07, 2014 12:36:55 pm
      I don't think the partnership with Martin is the best one for him or Martin I think they are too similar. Still first season and only played in fits and starts so too early to judge and Brendan obviously has a flare for improving players
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #473: May 09, 2014 07:34:44 am
      1 clean sheet in 19. Dyou think PSG would give us our money back?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #474: May 09, 2014 11:07:35 am
      Fills me with zero confidence I must admit. Very rash at times, still think Agger is a better fit for us.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #475: May 09, 2014 11:29:31 am
      I think he's great. He's only 24 (just a few months older than Coates and Kelly), which isn't that old for a defender. His English will only get better (which for me has been the source of some of his issues this season) and he has a brilliant attitude.
      Also I don't think the clean sheets tell much of the story, though I understand the other chaps' concerns.
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #476: May 09, 2014 11:47:37 am
      He's getting on well, will only improve. I also think Agger should partner him though.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,220 posts | 841 
      Reply #477: May 09, 2014 12:17:45 pm
      He's getting on well, will only improve. I also think Agger should partner him though.

I don't think Rodgers rates Agger to be honest
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #478: May 21, 2014 01:15:11 pm
      Not fully adapted to the PL in my opinion, this is not to say he won't. He has a terrible habit of kinda crouching down just before he passes the ball which adds time and results in him being caught in possession from time to time, this needs to be coached out of the lad.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #479: May 21, 2014 03:56:59 pm
      Not fully adapted to the PL in my opinion, this is not to say he won't. He has a terrible habit of kinda crouching down just before he passes the ball which adds time and results in him being caught in possession from time to time, this needs to be coached out of the lad.

Any stats on how many times he has been caught in possession?

Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #480: May 22, 2014 08:07:23 am
      Any stats on how many times he has been caught in possession?

Not really a fan of stats as they can be twisted to meet ones argument. However he does need to improve in my opinion.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #481: May 22, 2014 08:18:23 pm
      Not really a fan of stats as they can be twisted to meet ones argument. However he does need to improve in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of eye witness statements.  Taken far too many of them and you soon realise most people should have gone to Specsavers.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #482: May 22, 2014 10:02:42 pm
      Bit soon to be criticizing Sakho too much. His first season in the prem and he hasn't done too badly. Certainly Vidic struggled much more when he first went to the mancs.

I do think he needs to work at his game, but if he does, he seems to have all the physical attributes to be a success.

Quick Reply