Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 208113 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #989: Aug 11, 2015 02:05:19 pm
      I'm a Sakho fan, but I'm also a fan of playing the man that is in form. If that happens to be Lovren so be it, although one game probably doesn't determine that.

There is the thought that Lovren was a Brendan signing and Sakho a "committee" one but I'm not sure how much validity there is to the notion that BR didn't favor signing Sakho. And I would hope he didn't play players that he liked over players that were in form.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #990: Aug 11, 2015 02:17:23 pm
      I'm a Sakho fan, but I'm also a fan of playing the man that is in form.

That's the thing, isn't it? Lovren doesn't deserve to lose his place after Stoke, so it'll be Lovren and Skrtel against Bournemouth unless one picks up a knock. No underlying agenda or conspiracy theory.
      jh
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      • a Red from the little red dot
      Reply #991: Aug 18, 2015 04:59:27 am
      not even on the bench again

what is happening to our best CB ?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #992: Aug 18, 2015 06:09:08 am
      Rodgers wants to get rid of him, that's what's happening. A pisstake.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2015 06:22:59 am by GeorgeRed »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #993: Aug 18, 2015 06:40:38 am

Well if he goes to the Bundesliga you can watch him on Eurosport all the time as part of your extensive knowledge of that league.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #994: Aug 18, 2015 08:04:50 am
      Well if he goes to the Bundesliga you can watch him on Eurosport all the time as part of your extensive knowledge of that league.

I don't think that it suits him, EPL is the best league for him in my opinion, even though when compared to Serie A or La Liga, the Bundesliga is the closest to EPL in terms of how the game is played, it would be a huge step-down in his career.

Also the teams in BuLi don't spend large ammounts of money on players, bar Bayern Munich, Borussia and Wolfsburg ocassionaly, surely if we're talking about Leverkusen or another team they will be looking for a loan with an option to buy him for around 10-12 milions.

It's a shame that the German league, given how entertaining it is, doesn't know how to export their football and receive at least half the ammount of money EPL is getting from TV-deals. But on the other hand, it's a good thing for them because in this way they are focusing on developing young players, mainly germans, and that is showing when we see how well their national team is doing, miles ahead of England in terms of playing style and chemistry. Also their teams seem to be more focused on European competitions, the reason they've got another UCL place.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,586 posts | 1808 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #995: Aug 18, 2015 08:53:07 am
      How about this Fed.

Maybe he did nothing wrong but the manager just preferred Lovren?

He can't play more than 11 players so some are going to miss out.

Personally I'd have gone with Sakho but I'm intrigued to see how we go with Dejan.

this. spot on.

BTW. what a bunch of moaning LFC fans we have, like a bunch of children who dont get thier pal picked in same team as themselves in playground.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #996: Aug 18, 2015 10:57:16 am
      I hope he gets some game time soon, coz he needs to also get up to speed. I cant see our current pair being changed and rightly so, however i hope he gets a few opportunities soon to work on his match sharpness so that he can be ready to step up when needed.
      Should not be sold under any circumstances.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #997: Aug 18, 2015 06:52:49 pm
      Are they really entertaining the idea of selling him? Brings so much to the team... Would be gutted to see him leave.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #998: Aug 18, 2015 07:23:26 pm

Did you bug Brendan's office?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,831 posts | 2459 
      Reply #999: Aug 18, 2015 07:24:00 pm
      not even on the bench again

what is happening to our best CB ?

Ahh 2 clean sheets no?

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 349 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1000: Aug 18, 2015 07:32:01 pm
      If only I knew how to use Photoshop. I'd Mamadou this up a bit.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1001: Aug 20, 2015 12:07:24 am
      Just something I was thinking today but maybe he just doesn't trust Sakho's injury record? Maybe he looks at the defenders he's got and thinks which pairing is most likely to give me 90 minutes in all 38 games? Could be a long term strategy where he believes such stability in lineup will lead to less goals conceded over time.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1002: Aug 20, 2015 02:33:44 am
      Just something I was thinking today but maybe he just doesn't trust Sakho's injury record? Maybe he looks at the defenders he's got and thinks which pairing is most likely to give me 90 minutes in all 38 games? Could be a long term strategy where he believes such stability in lineup will lead to less goals conceded over time.

Absolutely. He picks the fittest players all over the park. Sakho is not a 100% fit and firing, Premier League ready player yet. He is nowhere near it. Yet people just pretend he can slot in and get us clean sheets. The FIFA mentality is so alive it scares the sh*t out of me.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #1003: Aug 20, 2015 08:57:58 am
      Absolutely. He picks the fittest players all over the park. Sakho is not a 100% fit and firing, Premier League ready player yet. He is nowhere near it. Yet people just pretend he can slot in and get us clean sheets. The FIFA mentality is so alive it scares the sh*t out of me.

Well in that case might as well get rid of Sturridge......... Why get rid of Lucas and keep Allen?

You don't not pick your best players because they might get injured.

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1004: Aug 20, 2015 09:47:42 am

That would be shocking strategy, then why not sell Sturridge right away ?

What use has Lovren if he is able to stay injury-free but he makes alot of mistakes every game ?
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1005: Aug 20, 2015 03:08:16 pm
      It is a bit of a worry not to see him make the last squad and you can't help but wonder if things have gone a bit awry between manager and player. Hopefully we will see him in the squad for the Arsenal game otherwise that might suggest that he could well be on his way. WE have kept 2 clean sheets without serving up many chances the last 2 games so it makes absolute sense to stick with the same back 4 but having said that, I felt Dejan was pretty shaky in the Bournemouth game so it would be a monumental error if we were to let this lad leave.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #1006: Aug 20, 2015 03:29:23 pm
      The limitations of Skrtel and Lovren to play the 20-30 yard pass out of the back to the likes of Coutinho was very obvious with Sakho missing.

Hopefully Rodgers has not decided the hoof upto Benteke will suffice, which no doubt has its merits but it needs to be mixed up to keep the opposition guessing and of course the best way to launch a counter.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1007: Aug 20, 2015 05:20:51 pm
      The limitations of Skrtel and Lovren to play the 20-30 yard pass out of the back to the likes of Coutinho was very obvious with Sakho missing.

Hopefully Rodgers has not decided the hoof upto Benteke will suffice, which no doubt has its merits but it needs to be mixed up to keep the opposition guessing and of course the best way to launch a counter.

I disagree about Lovren - I think he's much more capable with the ball at his feet than Skrtel. He was involved in the goal against Stoke by driving forward into the centre circle before passing to Gomez who then passed to Coutinho.

But I don't think as capable as Sakho.

I do hope he is phased gradually into the side this season (at the expense of Skrtel who is getting older) - if we sell a good player like him or disillusion him, I think the majority of us here will be F***ing furious.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1008: Aug 20, 2015 05:36:37 pm
      That would be shocking strategy, then why not sell Sturridge right away ?

What use has Lovren if he is able to stay injury-free but he makes alot of mistakes every game ?

Much easier roles to define the centre backs. Don't think it's a guarantee that Sturridge will walk into the side if Benteke flies in his role up front on his own and he squad are on good form. Don't think it's a guarantee that Sturridge will be the same player either when he comes back. Eventually all these injuries will catch up on him.

Get some awareness about you man.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #1009: Aug 20, 2015 06:13:24 pm
      Sakho was part of the defence that conceded six against Stoke on the final day of last year and was at fault for at least two or three of their goals. If that had been Lovren, people would be saying he should never play again. (people say that about the Croatian anyway to be fair)

I wonder if that had any baring in Brendan's decision to not play him. You know, managers do occasionally go off previous performances. It might also be the reason why Moreno hasn't started this season, maybe why Can hasn't played in defence, maybe why he's looking to sell Lucas. All a part of the shambles at the Britannia last season.

But hey, maybe it's just Brendan clearly missing the immense talent Mammy Do has.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4417 
      Reply #1010: Aug 20, 2015 06:45:10 pm
      Sakho was part of the defence that conceded six against Stoke on the final day of last year and was at fault for at least two or three of their goals. If that had been Lovren, people would be saying he should never play again. (people say that about the Croatian anyway to be fair)

I wonder if that had any baring in Brendan's decision to not play him. You know, managers do occasionally go off previous performances. It might also be the reason why Moreno hasn't started this season, maybe why Can hasn't played in defence, maybe why he's looking to sell Lucas. All a part of the shambles at the Britannia last season.

But hey, maybe it's just Brendan clearly missing the immense talent Mammy Do has.

So was Skrtel along with Henderson in midfield who should have provided some cover to the defence

Lovren was one of the main culprits in the debacle against Palace............

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1011: Aug 20, 2015 07:06:21 pm
      To me, the issue is that all of our 4 main CB aren't actually that great (skrtel, lovren, Sakho and toure)
      Would any of them get into one of our rival top 5 teams? No
      So we are left with making the best pairing of what we have.
      For that reason alone, I believe Sakho stays as an option
      But if we are to move forward then I believe we need far better than what we have.

Quick Reply