Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 207848 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #1702: Aug 31, 2016 11:25:17 am
      Why wouldn't we of sold him then at the start of the summer?

No ideal mate. It is a strange one I'll admit that.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1703: Aug 31, 2016 11:46:07 am
      I was sure that before the things you stated happened he was benched despite being our best CB and a leader in the team (much like Mama is now)

Not sure.
      If he was benched it was because of a knock as far as I remember.

It seems Agger always had a lot to say to the Danish press, and these stories always seemed to pop up when he was at home on holiday, so it might have been press stirring sh*t, or maybe he really was a whiny little bi*ch who ran to the papers as soon as he got home.

Good player, but like he said, his body wasn't up to it.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,579 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1704: Aug 31, 2016 01:27:03 pm
      He will play for u23s till January if he does not take a loan move.

People have short memories, our defence has been shocking with sahko and others.

Klopp is trying to fix it.

New goalie, and 2 new CB's.

missing link is a new lb, but all we know how dough that has proved to sort.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #1705: Aug 31, 2016 07:44:40 pm
      So looks like he's staying and saying he wants to fight for his first team place.

Sounds like a bit of psychology by Klopp to get his head down and work.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1706: Sep 01, 2016 01:36:51 am
      So looks like he's staying and saying he wants to fight for his first team place.

Sounds like a bit of psychology by Klopp to get his head down and work.

Don't think so, think he genuinely wanted him to go. The talk is that he's about to have a season out of football now, watching from the stands.

Basically serving that drugs ban afterall.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #1707: Sep 01, 2016 02:11:32 am
      Don't think so, think he genuinely wanted him to go. The talk is that he's about to have a season out of football now, watching from the stands.

Basically serving that drugs ban afterall.

I'm not so sure, in most of the reports I've seen from the likes of James Pearce, Tony Barrett etc the word that was used was "considering"

One or two injuries to those in the defence and he may well find himself back in the team.

I suppose time will tell.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #1708: Sep 01, 2016 10:36:10 am
      Would be a real shame if he did sit in the stands all season, think he's going to have to really impress the coaches and klopp with his attitude if he ever wants to play again, don't think anyone can question his ability!

Would love to see Linekar and co doing a little snipett on Sakho going from outcast to defensive monster for us on Match of the Day!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1709: Sep 02, 2016 01:25:15 pm
      Why tell him to prove himself by plying elsewhere and then tell him hell not be playing here? Why can he not prove himself in training and then in the team?

Effectively left ourselves with 3 centre backs now for the season because he seems to have no time for Illori either
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #1710: Sep 02, 2016 01:53:51 pm
      I'm not so sure, in most of the reports I've seen from the likes of James Pearce, Tony Barrett etc the word that was used was "considering"

One or two injuries to those in the defence and he may well find himself back in the team.

I suppose time will tell.

Exactly, can't imagine there were too many of us that would have said Toure would be arguably our most important defender in the finish of the season.

Feels like Sakho has called the clubs bluff by refusing the loans. I like the idea that he's backing himself but now he has to implement that day in day out.

As HR say's, Time will tell.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7142 
      Reply #1711: Sep 02, 2016 02:24:09 pm
      I think Jürgen makes a decision and then gets on with it I reckon he is a goner.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #1712: Sep 02, 2016 02:39:09 pm
      I think Jürgen makes a decision and then gets on with it I reckon he is a goner.

If he was a goner, he deffo would of been sold in transfer window.

They way our defence is it's not too much of a stretch to think that if Sahko get's his head down and works his arse off at Melwood, he can get back into the team.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1713: Sep 02, 2016 02:56:04 pm
      So BR had a problem with him in pre-season, and now Klopp has a problem with him in pre-season.

I'm pretty sure BR said he came back very overweight.
      Then we find out about the "fat burners".
      Then he turns up late, and keeps F***ing about (allegedly).

If he knuckles down and stops whatever he is doing that has pissed off 2 managers, I'm sure he'll be fine.
      If not, Klopp knows where the exit door is, and won't be afraid to show Sakho, or more likely, shove him through it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #1714: Sep 02, 2016 03:46:34 pm
      So much for him being put in the corner. Named to the 25 player squad. 
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7142 
      Reply #1715: Sep 02, 2016 04:21:26 pm
      If he was a goner, he deffo would of been sold in transfer window.

They way our defence is it's not too much of a stretch to think that if Sahko get's his head down and works his arse off at Melwood, he can get back into the team.

he refused to leave as is his right to do so. Having made the stand Jürgen will look a bit daft if he comes back into the squad. If he has this self destruct button in his DNA you cant get rid of it just look at Balotelli.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #1716: Sep 02, 2016 04:37:19 pm
      he refused to leave as is his right to do so. Having made the stand Jürgen will look a bit daft if he comes back into the squad. If he has this self destruct button in his DNA you cant get rid of it just look at Balotelli.

He's in the squad, read today he was named to the 25, of course, long way from there to the bench or even starting 11, but you tell me Walt, if we get an injury to Lovren and one of Klavan or Matip....you think he's not going to put Sakho in right away?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #1717: Sep 02, 2016 04:41:00 pm
      So much for him being put in the corner. Named to the 25 player squad. 

It would be pure stupidity not to put him in the 25. Still doesn't mean he will get a game.

As I said we get a couple of injuries to our defenders he might have to play.

He's in the squad, read today he was named to the 25, of course, long way from there to the bench or even starting 11, but you tell me Walt, if we get an injury to Lovren and one of Klavan or Matip....you think he's not going to put Sakho in right away?

Yeah, he could play Lucas there, but one bad result and fans will be calling for Sahko to be back in the team.

It's why the phrase "Football is a funny old game" is so apt!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4413 
      Reply #1718: Sep 02, 2016 04:41:57 pm

He has Lucas and llori (yeah i know) if he wants to stick by his guns.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #1719: Sep 02, 2016 05:04:21 pm
      He has Lucas and llori (yeah i know) if he wants to stick by his guns.

I actually would like to see Ilori get some time to be fair. It's still odd to me that Klopp doesn't look at him and think that he's one he could really mold into a player. Only thing I can think is that he's just not a worker?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1720: Sep 02, 2016 05:14:28 pm
      I actually would like to see Ilori get some time to be fair. It's still odd to me that Klopp doesn't look at him and think that he's one he could really mold into a player. Only thing I can think is that he's just not a worker?

Could it possibly be because Ilori is crap, I'm not saying he is but just suggesting it as a possibility.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #1721: Sep 02, 2016 05:21:33 pm
      Could it possibly be because Ilori is crap, I'm not saying he is but just suggesting it as a possibility.

Or just not up to the level required to play in our first team.

Watched him a few times in the reserves or U-21's or whatever they are now and he looked okish, but is that enough to get a game at Prem League level.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1722: Sep 02, 2016 05:27:48 pm
      Or just not up to the level required to play in our first team.

Watched him a few times in the reserves or U-21's or whatever they are now and he looked okish, but is that enough to get a game at Prem League level.

Can Ilori not play fullback. He's supposedly lightning fast and hopefully has a brain so one up already on Milner and Moreno. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #1723: Sep 02, 2016 05:30:20 pm
      Can Ilori not play fullback. He's supposedly lightning fast and hopefully has a brain so one up already on Milner and Moreno. 

I'm honestly not sure, only seen him play centre-back.

Grinned at that second bit though ;)
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #1724: Sep 02, 2016 10:33:13 pm
      Just reading Ring Of Fire by Simon Hughes and came across this in the Alonso chapter:

Quote from: Xabi Alonso
      I stick with my opinion. I know it is viewed differently in Britain.It's not the action [of tackling]. It's the idea: the cause and the consequence. I love to tackle. But if I could avoid it, I think I have done better in my job. If I tackle, sliding across the floor, it means that I - or someone else - have been caught out of position at the start of the move and that drives me crazy because team shape and balance is crucial. At Bayern, this is what we practise all of the time: "shape,shape,shape". If you spend too much time on the ground, it means that your positioning is not so good. I would say I pride myself on positioning, being in the right areas - that's why I get chosen."

Instantly I think of one of the reasons we love Sakho so much, those last ditch tackles, where he throws his long frame behind everything to get a toe on the ball. Then I think about the first few weeks under Klopp where every analysis was dominated by the discussion of our shape and discipline in playing the selected shape.

Maybe we're all over thinking the Sakho thing too much, maybe after nearly a year Klopp has just decided that position wise Mama just isn't up to scratch. Not for a regular place at least? Maybe this is the shared quality Matip and Klavan had that made Klopp decide they were the ones he wanted. Klavan may have been a head scratcher but so was Sami Hyypia some years ago. Sami never had the legs to deal with the forwards he came up against, but his reading of the game was incredible, he was in the right place at the right time.

Like Benteke, Sakho is not a bad player, but maybe he just doesn't suit exactly what we want to do?

Note: I am not comparing Ragnar Klavan to Sami Hyypia before I get murdered here! :)

Quick Reply