Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Swansea City v Liverpool FC 16/9/13 KO 8pm

Read 25327 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Re: Swansea City v Liverpool FC 16/9/13 KO 8pm
      Reply #92: Sep 15, 2013 10:51:23 am
      Feels like an eternity watching the lads run out, Monday can't come quick enough.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #93: Sep 15, 2013 10:57:36 am
      A big game for us and we should be aiming to win to keep our run going.

Same side for me, with Wisdom in for Glen, althought the manager might be tempted to get Moses in the side.

Mignolet

Wisdom  Skrtel  Agger  Enrique

Lucas

Henderson  Gerrard

Aspas  Sturridge  Coutinho
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #94: Sep 15, 2013 10:59:02 am
      MUST WIN! At this stage it would be fantastic to be 3 ahead of Arsenal and Spurs and then 5 ahead of the Mancs, Citeh and the Chavs!!

Don't think we're at a MUST WIN stage of the season Kenny nor do I think we will ever be this season, a win of course will be fantastic realistically we are still top with a game in hand, only goal diff separating us and arse & yids,

Being 3 in front of them and 5 ahead of both mancs has a certain feel to it I must admit and perfectly achievable, Swans are a decent side and a draw would be commendable if we were going there with last seasons squad, but we are better equipped this time round playing with confidence, hunger, desire and determined to uphold our unbeaten run,

won't be easy obviously and the swans that capitulated agains scum will be a different animal today, and are to be respected, overall I think we will win the midfield battle, be solid at the back and Sturridge will bag at least 1 hopefully the winner,

YNWA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #95: Sep 15, 2013 12:35:52 pm
      Don't think we're at a MUST WIN stage of the season Kenny nor do I think we will ever be this season

EVERY game is a must win for this football club and I expect nothing less so yes we are at that stage of the season and we have been since the minute we kicked off against Stoke. Winning builds momentum and confidence, 2 of the things you need  to be successful.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #96: Sep 15, 2013 12:46:08 pm
      We can't continuoulsy rely on Sturridge to bang in the goals, many others must stand up and be counted to do just that. One interesting observation, we tend to sit back in the second half and let the opposition come at us. If we intend to do that again, just bloody improve on the counter attack and we should be able to win comfortably.

Their game is swift but vulnerable in defence and we should not give them an inch of the pitch to work on, frustrate the hell out of them and we should be ok. Going for a 2-0 win for us.
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2013 01:12:38 pm by redkop63 »
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #97: Sep 15, 2013 01:25:53 pm

Mignolet

Wisdom             Skertl.             Agger.             Enrique

Gerrard.              Lucas

Henderson.               Coutinho.                   Alberto

Aspas

I wouldn't risk anyone who isn't 100%.

Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #98: Sep 15, 2013 01:38:33 pm
      EVERY game is a must win for this football club and I expect nothing less so yes we are at that stage of the season and we have been since the minute we kicked off against Stoke. Winning builds momentum and confidence, 2 of the things you need  to be successful.

This! Well said.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #99: Sep 15, 2013 01:41:32 pm
                                            Mignolet

Wisdom             Skertl.             Agger.             Enrique

Gerrard.              Lucas

Henderson.               Coutinho.                   Alberto

Aspas

I wouldn't risk anyone who isn't 100%.

Agreed! If Sturridge isn't 100% then sit him out. Put in Moses for Alberto and you got the starting XI spot on.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #100: Sep 15, 2013 01:44:43 pm
      We can't continuoulsy rely on Sturridge to bang in the goals, many others must stand up and be counted to do just that. One interesting observation, we tend to sit back in the second half and let the opposition come at us. If we intend to do that again, just bloody improve on the counter attack and we should be able to win comfortably.

Their game is swift but vulnerable in defence and we should not give them an inch of the pitch to work on, frustrate the hell out of them and we should be ok. Going for a 2-0 win for us.

Without Sturridge I have a feeling we might be grinding out another 1-0.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #101: Sep 15, 2013 01:45:47 pm
      Tommy Smith's view:

Monday match is a good thing just now
      Monday night football can be a bit of an after show, the main buzz is always on a Saturday and Sunday and that's when you really want to be playing.
      It can also be a test for travelling fans who've got work or school to plan around, but for once I think it's a good thing we are scheduied for a Monday match.
      Read more:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-smith-liverpool-fc-who-6020903         
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #102: Sep 15, 2013 01:52:31 pm

It's only a must win game if we want to keep our 100% start and to be top of the tree, it's not as if its our last possible opportunity to grab a CL spot or god forbid stay in the EPL, look, we both want the same so I think splitting hairs is a good way to agree and not get to pedantic,

what team would you put out to grab the 3pts ?
      this would be my selection......

Mignolet
        Toure. Skrtel. Agger. Jose
              Gerrard.    Lucas
      Hendo.    Coutinho    Moses
                    Sturridge

With Glen out I've put Toure in ahead of Wisdom, for his experience and organising skills, he may not be the quickest these days but I'm sure he'll cope,

I'd love us to batter them but I'd settle for another 1 nil.

YNWA
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #103: Sep 15, 2013 02:05:00 pm
      Without Sturridge I have a feeling we might be grinding out another 1-0.

I don't mind a 1-0 win at all. But, who's going to score here? Can see anyone so far that gives me the impression that they will score.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #104: Sep 15, 2013 02:11:57 pm
      Just hoping we can put in a performance on a Monday night for the first time in I don't know how long, I can't remember the last time we won one.

Fulham was the last one I can remember. Lost at home to WBA last season anyways on a Monday night.

We drew 0-0 away to Swansea last year, hopefully tomorrow night can be closer to a repeat of the 5-0 home win.
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #105: Sep 15, 2013 02:47:37 pm
      I'm really undecided on whether Moses should start. I think we can safely predict the rest of the team but Moses is the one that's bugging me.

Mignolet

Wisdom       Agger     Skrtel       Enrique

Lucas       Gerrard

Moses              Coutinho             Henderson

Sturridge

That would be ideal because there's no doubting that Philippe is far more effective behind the striker. However, if Moses isn't fully fit or a bit rusty having not played in a while, it's not worth it - have Aspas where Philippe is and Philippe on the wing.

I do think that Moses could have a big impact though - be it because he adds power and pace down the wing, or because he allows Philippe to play centrally. I do think if Coutinho plays centrally we will do far better though, I'm not sure how Chico Flores and Ashley Williams would cope with the flair of both Philippe and Sturridge. Red card or penalty perhaps..?

Going for a 2-0 win either way.
      YNWA
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #106: Sep 15, 2013 03:45:53 pm
      I'd go with :

Mignolet

Wisdom      Sakho*    Agger       Enrique

Lucas       
                  Gerrard        Henderson**
      Sterling***                                 Coutinho
                              Aspas****

Subs: Jones, Toure, Skrtel, Ibe, Allen, Moses

* I think fast defenders able to play high to disturb opponent pass based game, and good at ball playing themselves are what we need against Swansea. It's why I wouldn't start Skrtel, who often struggled when we don't play a low line. Then, as I think our vice captain is an automatic starter, the choice is between Toure and Sakho. As our defending AAA pair for the future is likely to be Sakho-Dagger and they need to gel playing together, I'd directly start Sakho, with Toure and Skrtel on the bench in case he has a bad start or we change to a lower line once we have the advantage.

** We need hard workers in central midfield to beat the swans at their own game and control the play, so I'd play Hendo alongside Gerrard instead of giving him a flank and more offensive role. I'd also have Allen on the bench, who may be a good suprise against a team he knows well.

*** Moses is to enter around the hour of play, before I'd give a chance to Raheem to fight for the place. As much I think we played him too much last year he is still very talented and one of our best wingers for the future, and he also has a solid experience playing with this team, and is good at tracking back when losing the ball, which may make the difference in this kind of game.

**** Imagining Sturridge is fit and not disturbed by the media attention I'd of course start him, but I fear there are chances he'll be ever still recovering ever underperforming after media pressure, so I'd consider starting Aspas.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #107: Sep 15, 2013 04:09:29 pm
      I know we're only a few games in but we ought to be making the most of the fact that the so-called top four have all dropped points so far. We really do have to capitalize on these factors whenever they arise. We usually drop points at this stage which in turn come Christmas time we're way out of the running. If we can sneak these points in before then, add a couple of quality signings in January, it should hopefully bode well and we can kick on with confidence.

Hope that whatever team is put out tomorrow that they're really up for it and really want it. I don't want us to go there and play for a draw. That to me would just send out the wrong message.

Mignolet

Toure     Skrtel   Agger   

Sterling   Gerrard   Lucas   Henderson    Enrique

Coutinho             

Sturridge

Swansea 1 - Liverpool 2
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #108: Sep 15, 2013 05:12:27 pm
      Ok, didn't get an answer the first time around so I'll try again:

Does anyone know what kit we're wearing tomorrow?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #109: Sep 15, 2013 05:24:30 pm
      Ok, didn't get an answer the first time around so I'll try again:

Does anyone know what kit we're wearing tomorrow?

Something tells me we're not going to wear our white shirt and black shorts. I don't know why but something just tells me that won't be happening. I guess we're just going to have to pull out that rarity of ours, you know that all red kit.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #110: Sep 15, 2013 05:28:19 pm
      Something tells me we're not going to wear our white shirt and black shorts. I don't know why but something just tells me that won't be happening. I guess we're just going to have to pull out that rarity of ours, you know that all red kit.

I'm hoping we're wearing red, the thing is, last season there were a few away games where red would have been the clear choice, but we inexplicably wore the third kit.  Apparently Warrior had some requirements to force us to wear it on occasion even if the red didn't clash.  We should wear red at all times if possible, and against Swansea's white there's no reason for us to wear the abomination of a third kit tomorrow.

Something tells me they're going to make us put it on, though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,590 posts | 7141 
      Reply #111: Sep 15, 2013 05:55:07 pm
      I think we will win but as long as we are top after 4 games who wouldn't have taken that.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,493 posts | 232 
      Reply #112: Sep 15, 2013 06:05:38 pm
      I'll be happy with a 1 - 0 win, but the way we allow teams to come at us second half, if we're ahead, puts the shits up me. They only have to get a lucky defelected shot go in and we don't have a lot of trime to reply. We gotta get at them for 90 mins to prevent this happening. At least go 2 up before we sit back. Got us down for a 3 - 0 but not if we drop back like we have done at 1 - 0. Keep the f**king pressure on. We always look great for 40 mins, gotta make it 90

Reminds me of the Arsenal game last year, where we drew 2-2. We took a 2-0 lead and sat off for the whole game, and they deserved the draw.

Wilshere owned our midfield in the second half.
      RedWilly

• 9,202 posts | 1643 
      Reply #113: Sep 15, 2013 06:05:58 pm
      I'm hoping we're wearing red, the thing is, last season there were a few away games where red would have been the clear choice, but we inexplicably wore the third kit.  Apparently Warrior had some requirements to force us to wear it on occasion even if the red didn't clash.  We should wear red at all times if possible, and against Swansea's white there's no reason for us to wear the abomination of a third kit tomorrow.

Something tells me they're going to make us put it on, though.
      I'd rather wear the third kit than our away kit that looks like it has a game of Space Invaders going on!!

You're completely right though, wear Red whenever it's possible.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #114: Sep 15, 2013 06:32:12 pm
      The most massive game for us this Monday. One game at a time and keep the winning momentum going as long as possible.

Quick Reply