Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What will the result be?

Liverpool win.
      78 (94%)
      Draw.
      4 (4.8%)
      Southampton win.
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Liverpool vs Southampton 21-09-13 1500 BST

Read 18483 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Liverpool vs Southampton 21-09-13 1500 BST
      Sep 18, 2013 10:41:18 pm

A game of two halves will be guaranteed, let us hope they aren't as disparate as our performances have been this far this season.  Feeling calm for this one, nowhere near as nervous as I was for the Swansea game.  Last seasons corresponding score line will have a familiar ring about it, after this season handful of fixtures.  A 1-0 win, Daniel Agger with the only goal of the game.  Think a lot of us would take that score line now, whether our hearts will is another matter.

Our last fixture to fall on the 21st September was against Brighton in the League Cup, a 2-1 win that was on our path to Wembley.  Our last league game to fall on this date was a 2-0 home win against West Brom in 2002, Baros & Riise with the goals.

MsGerrard
      Re: Liverpool vs Southampton 21-09-13 1500 BST
      Reply #1: Sep 18, 2013 10:58:43 pm
      You must have read my mind Rodders, I was just thinking about starting this tonight  :)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2: Sep 18, 2013 11:03:05 pm
      You must have read my mind Rodders, I was just thinking about starting this tonight  :)

I was wondering where the thread was, kind of disappointed I had to start it myself.  ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #3: Sep 18, 2013 11:08:46 pm
      I like Southampton as a footballing side but at home thye are a team we should be beating every time and I expect as much come Saturday afternoon.

A few injury issues for the boss and I'm not sure how he's going to go about it especially at the back with Andre looking very uneasy at times recently. I'd be tempted to go with a three for this one with Kolo moving more over to RB depending on how they play. Hendo on the right as he has the energy to get up and done the right side and link inside if Kolo moves out to RB as we attack.

Mignolet

Toure  Skrtel  Sakho

Lucas  Gerrard

Henderson                         Enrique

Alberto

Sturridge  Moses

Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #4: Sep 18, 2013 11:58:56 pm
      Never forget the time we went to St Mary's, expecting to win and a team led by Harry Redknapp and spearheaded by Crouchie, walked over is from the beginning. By no means is it the same team. In fact, if anything, they are far more dangerous than that occasion. Anyway, they will be a tough act to play, just like Swansea. I expect to come up against a team who will pass it about well, having the technical ability, as well as strength up front through Osvaldo.

Obviously missing Coutinho is a massive loss. For me, I wouldn't play Sterling. Aspas would be my shout, or even Luis Alberto. A win is a win, don't care how we do it.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #5: Sep 19, 2013 12:57:49 am
      We actually look a bit one dimensional going into this one for me. We've lost our creative force in the middle of the park in Coutinho and with Jonno also out we're seriously lacking width on the right. Henderson should move inside with Sterling or Ibe given a run on the right. I also wonder if its time to give Martin Kelly his start of the season? He has had a few under 21 games now and he provides a more confident approach than Wisdom.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #6: Sep 19, 2013 01:21:21 am
      We actually look a bit one dimensional going into this one for me. We've lost our creative force in the middle of the park in Coutinho and with Jonno also out we're seriously lacking width on the right. Henderson should move inside with Sterling or Ibe given a run on the right. I also wonder if its time to give Martin Kelly his start of the season? He has had a few under 21 games now and he provides a more confident approach than Wisdom.

I completely agree, although I'd take a different approach.  I'd go for 3 CB's with Hendo and Enrique at wingbacks, with Moses and Sterling on the wings ahead of them.  This should provide enough pace on the counter to keep the Southampton's fullbacks from being able to push too far forward and keep us under constant pressure as we saw against the Swans and Villa.  Sturridge through the middle keeps their CB's on their toes. 

Mig
               Toure  Skrtel  Agger
      Hendo  Lucas  Gerrard  Enrique
             Sterling            Moses
                        Sturridge

I think this puts our best (available) 11 players on the pitch, but I doubt we'll see it....
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Sep 19, 2013 01:22:18 am
      For me we approach this game in the same way we approached many of our games in the first half of last season, one of which was this fixture. That approach dictated an "obsession" to pass them to death. Become less direct than we have been this calendar year and put an emphasis on keeping the ball. We need to learn how to dictate possession once again. We battered them 1-0 last season and by the end of the match they were visibly exhausted having to continually chase off the ball. It was a very different 1-0 victory to the sort we've experienced against Villa and Manchester United. Unfortunately we don't have Suarez like we did last November, and we don't have Coutinho BUT we do have Sturridge! They've got a new manager and a new manager that beat us comfortably back in March so the context is quite different from last December. Nonetheless you would expect a victory.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #8: Sep 19, 2013 01:45:12 am
      Injuries to Johnson + Coutinho leave is in a bit of a difficult situation really. At RB Wisdom looked very poor and it seems like BR doesnt have too much faith yet in Kelly, Flanagan or Mclaughlin, So I would probably go for a 3-5-2 formation with 2 wing backs. I think defensively weve operate this way anyway soo far, as you seen in the game against Swansea, Wisdom would nearly always cut back in to make a line of 3 centre backs and Enrique/Henderson would stick to the wide attacks.

If Rodgers does go this way then Im sure it'll be a back 3 of Toure, Skrtel + Agger (If fit, if not Sakho) with 2 wingbacks of Enrique + Henderson. Think the main midfield pair will feature Lucas and Gerrard in similar roles as seen previously so this just leaves the 2/3 more attacking players. Sure Sturridge will be lone upfront with 2 players just dropping in behind and also being able to offer more width but primarily cutting in on their stronger foot. I would opt for Moses + Sterling in these roles, so it would actually leave it more like a 3-4-3.

Mignolet
                                Toure   Skrtel   Agger
                Henderson  Gerrard   Lucas   Enrique
                                  Moses         Sterling
                                         Sturridge

Think if we manage to keep a strong defense, which we should considering we have 3 of the most experience defenders in the league, we clearly have every chance of winning. Just hope we can create alot more chances than we did against Swansea, something that will be a hell of a lot more difficult without Coutinho. I expect Gerrard to play alot more attacking and the front 3 to stick to their positions alot more as we seen them all drifting away and outwards, particularly Sturridge, in the last game and that didnt seem to work.

Anyway Im confident  we can get a win, but think it'll be a tight one. Infact gonna go Sturridge 1-0 again to keep us unbeaten and top of the league! Come on red men!!!
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #9: Sep 19, 2013 08:48:15 am
      even if coutinho not playing, we still should be beating Southampton, I hopeing for 2 nil win for red men with sturridge and moses get win for us
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #10: Sep 19, 2013 09:23:11 am
      Win and we stay top.  I hope the players turn up for this one.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11: Sep 19, 2013 09:46:30 am
      Injuries to Johnson + Coutinho leave is in a bit of a difficult situation really. At RB Wisdom looked very poor and it seems like BR doesnt have too much faith yet in Kelly, Flanagan or Mclaughlin, So I would probably go for a 3-5-2 formation with 2 wing backs. I think defensively weve operate this way anyway soo far, as you seen in the game against Swansea, Wisdom would nearly always cut back in to make a line of 3 centre backs and Enrique/Henderson would stick to the wide attacks.

If Rodgers does go this way then Im sure it'll be a back 3 of Toure, Skrtel + Agger (If fit, if not Sakho) with 2 wingbacks of Enrique + Henderson. Think the main midfield pair will feature Lucas and Gerrard in similar roles as seen previously so this just leaves the 2/3 more attacking players. Sure Sturridge will be lone upfront with 2 players just dropping in behind and also being able to offer more width but primarily cutting in on their stronger foot. I would opt for Moses + Sterling in these roles, so it would actually leave it more like a 3-4-3.

Mignolet
                                Toure   Skrtel   Agger
                Henderson  Gerrard   Lucas   Enrique
                                  Moses         Sterling
                                         Sturridge

Think if we manage to keep a strong defense, which we should considering we have 3 of the most experience defenders in the league, we clearly have every chance of winning. Just hope we can create alot more chances than we did against Swansea, something that will be a hell of a lot more difficult without Coutinho. I expect Gerrard to play alot more attacking and the front 3 to stick to their positions alot more as we seen them all drifting away and outwards, particularly Sturridge, in the last game and that didnt seem to work.

Anyway Im confident  we can get a win, but think it'll be a tight one. Infact gonna go Sturridge 1-0 again to keep us unbeaten and top of the league! Come on red men!!!

Totally agree Paul, just posted pretty much the same in the Glen Johnson thread. There is no point playing Wisdom if he's going to drag Hendo into that position anyway, simply start Henderson from there in the first place as you've suggested.

The only change I'd make in your side is to switch Sterling/Moses, think we'd benefit more from Sterling's discipline in defence as Moses seemed a bit half-arsed in the aspect for now and I'd feel more confident leaving defensive responsibilities to Enrique alone than Henderson.

I also prefer Ibe to Sterling in an attacking sense but for now and for the same reason I'd keep him on the bench. It really does show how thin our squad is that injuries to 1 senior player and 1 21 year old has us patching to make do. Hoping in January this is addressed.

The forgotten man in all this does seem Joe Allen, wonder how many would call for his return to the side?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Sep 19, 2013 09:47:12 am
      Any win will be welcome but I want to see us go out and dominate Southampton from the kick off.As nnilswerdna has pointed out we only have to win and we stay top.Win ugly,win sweet I don't care just win.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Sep 19, 2013 10:03:23 am
      Hard to know what way to play this, without Coutinho.

As much as I'd love to see Alberto get some game time,
      I'd rather he came on in the second half, when he might
      get some more space.

Wouldn't mind us starting a 3-5-2 system and then changing
      when the subs are introduced.

Mignolet

Toure           Skrtel            Agger

Sterling                 Lucas                       Enrique

Henderson         Gerrard

Moses            Sturridge
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #14: Sep 19, 2013 10:31:12 am
      Hoping this is one we run riot it.  Really send the sh*tters up the mancs for the League cup come Wednesday (like in 2009).

They'll be playing Citeh away so there is a chance they will be dropping points, and every point counts.
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2013 10:38:11 am by nnilswerdna »
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #15: Sep 19, 2013 10:37:25 am
      Kelly needs to be playing at right back PLEASE.
      We should have enough, but you never know, this is a crucial game as probably the only 'banker' we have had - apart from Notts County and we would have drawn that if it was a league match.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2862 
      Reply #16: Sep 19, 2013 11:08:08 am
      Mignolet; Henderson, Skrtel, Sakho, Enrique; Lucas, Gerrard; Sterling, Alberto, Moses; Sturridge.

Just turn up for both halves. Please.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #17: Sep 19, 2013 11:54:29 am

If Agger isn't ready to go then Sakho.
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Sep 19, 2013 11:55:16 am
      Kelly needs to be playing at right back PLEASE.
      We should have enough, but you never know, this is a crucial game as probably the only 'banker' we have had - apart from Notts County and we would have drawn that if it was a league match.
      Nope. For my money this is a tougher match than the Stoke and Aston Villa ones.

I said before the Swansea game, 'why is everyone expecting us to just go to the Liberty Stadium and pulverise them?' There was definitely overconfidence for that game on here. To be expected I guess, given where we were in the table, but still. I said a draw would still be a good result there, and it was. We remained unbeaten and went back to the top of the league.

While a draw wouldn't be a good result at home to Southampton, this will be a very tough match. Look at Pochettino's record with the Saints and it doesn't come across as anything special; look closer in to it and you'll realise that they have played very well and got some superb results against the big clubs under his guidance, while struggling to mirror that against lesser teams. With him at the helm last season they beat Manchester City and ourselves comfortably at St Mary's, both by a 3-1 scoreline. Also dismissed Rafa's Chelsea 2-1. Not only that, but they were brilliant at Old Trafford, by far the better team, and extremely unfortunate to lose 2-1 there. Likewise they were undone by a late Bale wonder goal in their 1-0 loss at White Hart Lane, in a game I watched Southampton control for the majority.

Pochettino has applied a pressing style of play to Southampton since his arrival, and it seems to have worked very effectively against teams possessing better quality than them. It appears to have generally been less effective against teams of a similar or lower standard than them, however. I think we can all agree that even without Coutinho and Suarez we have a better team than Southampton, but that doesn't mean their style of play will work less against us- I think we can all admit that the best way to play against Rodgers' Liverpool is to press and force us to go long. Hard to sustain for a full 90 minutes, but effective when it is being used.

They've got some talented footballers, which is why I've tipped them for a top ten finish this season. Boruc seems to have rediscovered his Celtic form between the sticks, Shaw and Clyne are very promising young full-backs who will have great futures in the game, particularly the former. Lovren is a good centre-half. Wanyama is excellent at breaking stuff up in the middle, while Schneiderlin's allround game is really good. Lambert we all know about, and Osvaldo is a good signing.

If we play it right, then we should win the match. Southampton most definitely lack width. Lallana starts out wide left but cuts inside almost every time. Rodriguez, Lambert and Osvaldo are all likely to start; it is a case of shoehorning them all in for Saints due to their lack of wingers, as all three of those are centre forwards by trade.

So I really think 3-5-2 could be the right way to against these, formation-wise. Three of Toure/Skrtel/Sakho/Agger at centre-back to deal with their vast array of central attacking players; preferably Henderson right wing-back, Enrique obviously on the left. I'd go with Gerrard, Lucas and Allen in the centre. They're very strong in midfield so having those three in there should go some way to cancelling out those strengths of theirs. Moses floating around behind Sturridge, and hopefully they will have the necessary cutting edge. If not then we would have the option of throwing on Aspas, Alberto, Sterling and Ibe if/when chasing a goal.

We could still beat them playing a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 of course; we're Liverpool and it's at Anfield, and we have the better players. Make no mistake though, this shall be an extremely tough test. I said prior to the season, when looking at our first five games, Stoke and Villa should both be certain wins, and thankfully we got the job done in both. Then I felt we had three games ranging from very tough (Man Utd) to tough (Swansea and Southampton). From those three games I said that no points would be catastrophic, one point rubbish, two points poor, three points or four points disappointing, five points okay, six points good, seven points very good and nine points incredible. We're still on par for seven, which I maintain would be a very good return from three difficult games. Especially when more winnable games are on the horizon, with Suarez' return imminent.

I'll go for a nervy 1-0, and I would happily take that! :laugh:
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #19: Sep 19, 2013 12:02:56 pm
      So I really think 3-5-2 could be the right way to against these, formation-wise. Three of Toure/Skrtel/Sakho/Agger at centre-back to deal with their vast array of central attacking players; preferably Henderson right wing-back, Enrique obviously on the left. I'd go with Gerrard, Lucas and Allen in the centre. They're very strong in midfield so having those three in there should go some way to cancelling out those strengths of theirs. Moses floating around behind Sturridge, and hopefully they will have the necessary cutting edge. If not then we would have the option of throwing on Aspas, Alberto, Sterling and Ibe if/when chasing a goal.

3-5-2 should be the go to formation once Suarez is back. Without him I'd rather go 3-4-3.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #20: Sep 19, 2013 12:26:57 pm
      3-5-2 should be the go to formation once Suarez is back. Without him I'd rather go 3-4-3.

BR has never played either of these formations and I doubt he'll start now considering the results we've had since January. He plays 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Full backs are an integral part of his formation. Much as you'd like it to this won't change.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Sep 19, 2013 12:48:33 pm
      BR has never played either of these formations and I doubt he'll start now considering the results we've had since January. He plays 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Full backs are an integral part of his formation. Much as you'd like it to this won't change.

Last season we played a 3-5-2 in a run of games.
      Anzhi, Everton and Chelsea.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #22: Sep 19, 2013 01:08:26 pm
      These are a decent side, as good as Swansea for me so need to be shown respect and not taken lightly.

We were atrocious Monday 2nd half and some seem to think it coincided with Coutinho going off (maybe but I dont soley but it down to that) so without our link from midfield to attack how will we cope? ho can step in there?

Seen one team above possibily it was Racers with 3 at the back but it looked a decent line up. Though I dont know if I or the boss would go with the 3 at the back, we certainly have the tools for it with wing back roles perhaps suiting Henderson and Enrique?

Mignolet

Toure Skrtel Sakho/Agger

Hendo                                         Enrique

Gerrard/Allen  Lucas

Gerrard/Alberto

Sturridge      Moses

Anyway a win first and foremost followed by a second half showing is important for me and less important but be nice to see a goal from midfield

Quick Reply