Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool 0-1 Southampton; In game and Post Match disappointment

Read 30478 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Liverpool vs Southampton, Live Game Thread
      Reply #483: Sep 21, 2013 05:24:06 pm
      I thought so. BR is reasonably quick to phase players out once they aren't up to par over a reasonable time.
      Fair enough, but again I ask, what the heck did he see in him initially?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #484: Sep 21, 2013 05:24:24 pm
      Aspas can't hack it.

Gerrard needs to step up. Lucas needs to step up.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #485: Sep 21, 2013 05:25:16 pm
      It was a typical Liverpool performance against a supposed "weaker opposition" just before a "big game". 

We still haven't got this idea that every game is a big game and that every game needs winning if we are to genuinely compete.  Too many players with nothing to prove and with no competition to keep them on their toes.

It seems our midfield needs a massive boost in quality, it's all well and good having grafters but we need a creative spark to give the forwards at least a chance of scoring.

Keep seeing people excited/relieved that Luis is back next week but we've still got to get the ball to him and help create space for him to work with.  We can't expect him to do everything and be relying on him to get us out the s**t most games.  Others need to get their heads out their arses and put a shift in.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #486: Sep 21, 2013 05:25:19 pm
      Aspas can't hack it.

Not sure Stevie and Lucas have the legs anymore to step it up.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #487: Sep 21, 2013 05:25:33 pm
      Also sorry can someone tell me what Aspas brings to the table exactly? he looks way out of sorts in a Liverpool shirt

Borini II
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #488: Sep 21, 2013 05:27:21 pm
      Aspas can't hack it.

The thought of Gerrard and Lucas in midfield every game until at least christmas worries me. Allen is  far too light and average to get in ahead of them and Henderson is not going to start ahead of them either.

Can't understand why Everton got Barry on loan and not us. We needed someone in that position to push Lucas especially.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #489: Sep 21, 2013 05:31:24 pm
      I didn't know Aspas waa on the field. it was like Downing all over again.  Like we played with 10 men.
      amphetamanda
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #490: Sep 21, 2013 05:31:48 pm
      Gerrard was just awful. He gave the ball away/lost possession countless times, his positioning was off, definitely left a hole in midfield. Was disappointed Rodgers didn't take him off when he put on Alberto. I don't think Lucas was as bad as everyone's saying-- I think he had a lot to do, to make up for Gerrard's sheer laziness (that BR doesn't have the balls to take Gerrard off when he's playing so poorly really pisses me off).

Support for Sturridge was pretty dire-- clearly missed his interplay/understanding with Coutinho. Sterling's horrible first touch near the end was embarrassing. In general, Southampton just looked faster, looked like they wanted the ball more, whereas our side looked discouraged, and disinterested.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #491: Sep 21, 2013 05:33:37 pm
      A few more realising the obvious this week and compared to other site he is getting off lightly on here.Our tactic seems to be score early and hang on but what happens if we go one down seems to be a bit confusing for us.
      What a missed opportunity.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #492: Sep 21, 2013 05:38:03 pm
      Certainly agree about Steve Gerrard. Seems to have lost his mojo at the moment. Whether it is because his legs have gone or whether he realises that the team around him isn't up to it, is a matter of conjecture. Unfortunately,Henderson is a liability as he does nothing.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #493: Sep 21, 2013 05:38:51 pm
      We won the 1st 3 games including against the mancs
       we were hoping to get points as much as possible for the next 5/6 games fixtures wise

there we go we lost 4 from six points in the first 2 of those games
       lets hope we do MUCH MUCH better in the next 3/4 games with Luis in, let alone against the mancs next wed.

today was very disappointed with the starting line up , hope BR won't have this crazy idea of 4 CB ( if not forced cause by injuries

YNWA
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #494: Sep 21, 2013 05:39:43 pm
      Liverpool FC, did we want that today? Not by the look of it FFS, It's about time this squad grew some balls and start to deliver against the likes of Southampton.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #495: Sep 21, 2013 05:42:56 pm
      I wouldn't ever put too much stock into being top of the league after four matches.

Exactly, it was a run of four games that was all. Most understood that.

Can I just remind those with rose tinted spectacles that we have just lost to Southampton. At home!

Said it before, say it again, we are poor in midfield.

Swansea and Southampton -one point FFS and don't blame injuries. Injuries are not a plague that are bestowed upon Liverpool, other teams have them but we seem to overlook this when we win and talk about how boss we are.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #496: Sep 21, 2013 05:45:59 pm
      Go all in for Mata in January.
      4EVER_RED_2003
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      • IBWT
      Reply #497: Sep 21, 2013 05:47:18 pm
      gerrard tried be coutinho, which obviously he couldnt and is why we were so poor this match. shouldve given gerrard playmaker role in 352 formation or give alberto a full 90 minutes in coutinho's position. And i dont understand why leave enrique out? we needed to attack, not defend..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #498: Sep 21, 2013 05:47:56 pm
      Paul Merson: "Someone ring me up and let me know what he [Aspas] does - because I don't know yet. I've watched him...and I just think he's well out of his depth"

I wish someone would phone Merson up and tell him to F**k off.

Absolute moron.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #499: Sep 21, 2013 05:48:39 pm
      Don't know what people expect to be honest, we've pushed our luck all season so far and the last 2 games it has run out. 6 big games coming up that you need to win because its them games that usually determine your season against opposition like them and so far we have dropped 5 points from the first 2.....F***ing brilliant!! We've gone from being 100% and not conceding a goal to letting in 3 in 2 games and failing to pick up more than a point.

I donknow why but we have no ruthless edge to us so far, we come out and barely give 70%, what's happened to the mentality we had when we were smashing in more goals than anyone else in the last few months of last season?! It's like Rodgers is telling the team to go out and play timid and hope for the best!!

As I said, we were pushing our luck and it ran out! If come the end of the season we miss out on Europe again then I'm going to be asking some serious questions about not only the manager but the teams desire to get back to the top!! We had a great start to the season in terms of points and we should have been building on it with performances getting better and continuing to pick up the points but instead we are getting torn apart from Swansea and losing at home to Saints.

Typical Liverpool Football Club these days.
      Redangel

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #500: Sep 21, 2013 06:06:38 pm
      Don't know what people expect to be honest, we've pushed our luck all season so far and the last 2 games it has run out. 6 big games coming up that you need to win because its them games that usually determine your season against opposition like them and so far we have dropped 5 points from the first 2.....f**king brilliant!! We've gone from being 100% and not conceding a goal to letting in 3 in 2 games and failing to pick up more than a point.

I donknow why but we have no ruthless edge to us so far, we come out and barely give 70%, what's happened to the mentality we had when we were smashing in more goals than anyone else in the last few months of last season?! It's like Rodgers is telling the team to go out and play timid and hope for the best!!

As I said, we were pushing our luck and it ran out! If come the end of the season we miss out on Europe again then I'm going to be asking some serious questions about not only the manager but the teams desire to get back to the top!! We had a great start to the season in terms of points and we should have been building on it with performances getting better and continuing to pick up the points but instead we are getting torn apart from Swansea and losing at home to Saints.

Typical Liverpool Football Club these days.

This! I am seriously concerned at our lack of passion and fight. This team has no personality, it is worrying.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #501: Sep 21, 2013 06:15:52 pm
      we couldn't even get a point....no jonjo
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #502: Sep 21, 2013 06:22:14 pm
      Certainly agree about Steve Gerrard. Seems to have lost his mojo at the moment. Whether it is because his legs have gone or whether he realises that the team around him isn't up to it, is a matter of conjecture. Unfortunately,Henderson is a liability as he does nothing.

I don't think Gerrard has the legs to be effective, I found after 55 minutes he looked slow and sloppy in his touch, same thing in the Swansea game where after player 90 minutes mid-week with England I found it hurt his play. He is 33 and he has played every minute and it is starting to wear on him and we are only into end of September which is worrying sign. I think BR is going to have to micro manage Gerrard a bit more as season goes on using Allen (whenever he gets fit) and Henderson when needed and subbing Gerrard off when he looks tired. Lucas has been shadow of him-self since coming back off his injury, I don't know what kind of effect it had on him but he doesn't look a good as before. 
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #503: Sep 21, 2013 06:35:29 pm
      I genuinely can't see our performances improving in the near future.

I think Rodgers has to hold himself responsible for our poor performances. Firstly, he's the manager. He decides which players to recruit and which players to offload. If our players are lacking in desire, then it's Rodgers responsibility to either straighten them up or move them on to a different club. Secondly, Rodgers had an absolute shocker with that starting eleven. Four centre backs? Really? Obviously two were deployed as full backs, but it showed with our lack of support in the wide positions. Thirdly, Rodgers has to have the courage to drop both Lucas and Gerrard. These two have under performed time and time again yet they are still walking into the team. If Mourinho can drop Mata, Terry and Lampard, then Rodgers has to do the same regardless of that players profile.

Some people are inclined to slate Raheem, but he, unlike the others, had the courage to run with the ball and to make attacking runs. It was frustrating his first touch, but maybe another one of our players wouldn't have even decided to make that run. Sturridge looked selfish at best of times and I couldn't blame him. If I was him I wouldn't want to pass to any other donkey on the team and then Aspas yes, complete crap. I questioned as to why we signed him ages ago and I still question it now. Complete waste of money which again, Rodgers needs to take full responsibility for. £7m is just loose change? Is it F**k.

We need to improve on last season. That is, achieve top 6 with a respectable amount of points. Rodgers has had money to spend, and now he has to provide. Pressure is on!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #504: Sep 21, 2013 06:40:40 pm
      Just watched the game (recorded). That was a pathetic performance. Hate to blame the red too but that was a horribly officiated match. Felt the ref set the tone early tat would allow Southampton to play ugly, should have had a pen early on, may have changed the game in our favor at that point.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #505: Sep 21, 2013 06:42:44 pm
      Just watched the game (recorded). That was a pathetic performance. Hate to blame the red too but that was a horribly officiated match. Felt the ref set the tone early tat would allow Southampton to play ugly, should have had a pen early on, may have changed the game in our favor at that point.

The ref had an absolute shocking performance. It's a shame that the managers are not aloud to express their feelings about the referees because of course that could've been game changing. Still, pen or not we still should've won that.

Quick Reply