Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 151433 times
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #1265: Oct 04, 2014 12:45:49 am
      That is the role of the captain is it not? He's the heart and soul of the club and provides us with an identity. The problem as a whole right now is who have we got within our squad to take on that mantle? Nobody - that's who!

Is it? He USED to let his feet do the talking. Can't do now what he used to do. So someone else needs to inspire. Last season it was Luis who was the inspiration. That's the problem. Luis inspired Stevie, who then inspired the team with the "we go again" mantra. I honestly believe when Luis left, we lost more than just his ability. We lost his desire which everyone else fed off. Stevie included.

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #1266: Oct 04, 2014 09:20:27 am
      And vice versa. How is Stevie supposed to have the confidence to be able to perform to the best of his ability, when he has no faith in his surrounding team-mates?

Isn't it the LEADER's job to INSPIRE the team ?
      Team need a captain because captain is supposed to build confident and inspire his teammates, especially younger ones. No one expected a captain who need inspiration from his subordinates.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1267: Oct 04, 2014 01:57:35 pm
      :D

Gerrard is the captain, he has been surrounded by worse and fought to lift the team, don't give that nonsense about it being him not having faith in the players around him.

He simply isn't that good anymore on a consistent basis. He ups his game and leads by example like his supposed too as the captain of our club.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1268: Oct 04, 2014 05:00:56 pm
      If ever there was any proof needed that Stevie needs to be put back where he belongs....then there you go Brendan.

Sublime link-up play and defence splitting passes. He knows instinctively where, when and what a forward expects of him. Balo was definitely on the same page as him today and looked a much better player for it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,278 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1269: Oct 04, 2014 05:06:36 pm
      Sublime link-up play and defence splitting passes. He knows instinctively where, when and what a forward expects of him.

He does mate because despite even Stevie himself saying he's a midfielder he is essentially a forward himself.

Wasn't it Rafa who said he isn't really a midfielder or something like that?

I presume he had a good game today then as well?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1270: Oct 04, 2014 05:15:19 pm
      He does mate because despite even Stevie himself saying he's a midfielder he is essentially a forward himself.

For me he was ok and then once Balotelli and Lucas was on Rodgers shifted him in behind the striker and we saw Balotelli and Gerrard like we did Torres and Gerrard.

Gerrard looked like a new man for me, was making great passes and looked a threat, great link up play between him and Balotelli leading to two good chances for Mario.

Maybe Gerrard would be more effective as an attacking super sub than starting week in week out in his anchoring role but he didn't look bad in either position.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1271: Oct 04, 2014 05:16:19 pm

He was only up there for the last 15-20mins or so but the difference was remarkable and more importantly - noticeable. Food for thought for Brendan hopefully!
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1272: Oct 04, 2014 05:25:35 pm
      What a breathe of fresh air to see Stevie behind the front man/at the tip of the midfield diamond what ever you want to call it. Honestly thought we'd never see our captain play there again, in the 15 minutes or so he played there, it's clear to see in this current squad he needs to play there more often.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1273: Oct 04, 2014 05:39:51 pm
      I've only seen the goals but I'm pretty sure he is playing in the deeper role when he plays a great in to Sterling which results in a lay off for hendersons winner? Having said that it may well be a good shout to stick him in the 10 role to try and kick start our season from an attacking perspective.
      He is still an incredibly versatile player and still has gas in the tank despite some of the idiotic comments I've read from reds in this thread
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1274: Oct 04, 2014 05:51:46 pm
      I've only seen the goals but I'm pretty sure he is playing in the deeper role when he plays a great in to Sterling which results in a lay off for hendersons winner? Having said that it may well be a good shout to stick him in the 10 role to try and kick start our season from an attacking perspective.
      He is still an incredibly versatile player and still has gas in the tank despite some of the idiotic comments I've read from reds in this thread
      Moved into the role when Lucas came on.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1275: Oct 04, 2014 09:27:37 pm
      Loved seeing Stevie move up top for the last 20 odd minutes or so. Linked up perfectly with Mario and showed a few touches of magic around the box. His creativity is on a par with Coutinho and hopefully Brendan realizes this shouldn't be a one off thing.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6393 
      Reply #1276: Oct 04, 2014 10:42:22 pm
      Loved seeing Stevie move up top for the last 20 odd minutes or so. Linked up perfectly with Mario and showed a few touches of magic around the box. His creativity is on a par with Coutinho and hopefully Brendan realizes this shouldn't be a one off thing.

Maybe when we get Can back he can play the deep lying role and Stevie can push forward like he did today.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      Reply #1277: Oct 05, 2014 01:27:16 am
      Maybe when we get Can back he can play the deep lying role and Stevie can push forward like he did today.

That would be ideal but then what do we do with Hendo mate? Not sure I like him or we get the best out of him when he plays out right.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6393 
      Reply #1278: Oct 05, 2014 02:06:28 am
      That would be ideal but then what do we do with Hendo mate? Not sure I like him or we get the best out of him when he plays out right.

He and Lallana would have to play wide sides of a diamond?
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1279: Oct 05, 2014 02:21:23 am
      He and Lallana would have to play wide sides of a diamond?

This.

Can
      Lallana Hendo
           Gerrard
       Balo  Sturridge

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      Reply #1280: Oct 05, 2014 03:39:12 am
      This.

Can
      Lallana Hendo
           Gerrard
       Balo  Sturridge

Now I could handle that. Raheem can get a much needed rest as can Coutinho and hopefully they will come back fired up to cement their places in the team because at the moment both are a bit hit and miss.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1281: Oct 05, 2014 04:38:15 am
      Playing Gerrard in that position for the occasional 2o minutes is one thing, playing him there regularly will quickly burn him out and put him at higher chance of picking up injury.

He doesn't have the stamina to recover from the number of intense sprints required for that position.

Even Rooney looks past it when he has tried to do the same this season - and he was regarded as a "boy wonder" long after Stevie was established.

In my view the only realistic options for him to extend his career in the team are:

1. Stay as a playmaker with three hard running midfielders harrying and pressing in front of him a la Pirlo.

2. Move him to centre back a la Masch.

3. Bring him on as an AM against tiring teams for 45 minutes or less a la Lampard.

I don't think he is mentally ready not to be starting most games for us so 3 isn't a good option I my view.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5010 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1282: Oct 05, 2014 06:01:17 am
      Playing Gerrard in that position for the occasional 2o minutes is one thing, playing him there regularly will quickly burn him out and put him at higher chance of picking up injury.

He doesn't have the stamina to recover from the number of intense sprints required for that position.

Even Rooney looks past it when he has tried to do the same this season - and he was regarded as a "boy wonder" long after Stevie was established.

In my view the only realistic options for him to extend his career in the team are:

1. Stay as a playmaker with three hard running midfielders harrying and pressing in front of him a la Pirlo.

2. Move him to centre back a la Masch.

3. Bring him on as an AM against tiring teams for 45 minutes or less a la Lampard.

I don't think he is mentally ready not to be starting most games for us so 3 isn't a good option I my view.

Or play him in front of the back 4 for 70-75 mins, a la Gerrard then play him behind the front two for the Last 15-20 a la Gerrard of yesterday    ;D

Agree tho about your burning him out theory tho fella, his career is in its twilight stage, no point in pushing him towards a forced retirement,  that would be a travesty if it were to end that way,

YNWA
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1283: Oct 05, 2014 08:40:43 am
      Or play him in front of the back 4 for 70-75 mins, a la Gerrard then play him behind the front two for the Last 15-20 a la Gerrard of yesterday    ;D

Agree tho about your burning him out theory tho fella, his career is in its twilight stage, no point in pushing him towards a forced retirement,  that would be a travesty if it were to end that way,

YNWA

a la Yaya Toure  :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Reply #1284: Oct 05, 2014 10:26:20 am
      Got a bollocking yesterday from Henderson in the stoppage time for putting a ball in the box rather than going into the corner.

Not often I say this but Stevie got it wrong. Should of just stayed in the corner. 2-1 up, three or four minutes left. Just eat up the time.

Apart from that though, Stevie was sound again. Wasn't harassed by the Baggies like some sides have done recently (to their own detriment), sprayed the ball nicely, got booked because of a under hit pass from Lallana, moved forward and looked as dangerous as ever there.

But F**k it, he still needs dropping rar now doesn't he?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5010 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1285: Oct 05, 2014 10:49:38 am

Wishful thinking there fella  ;)

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1286: Oct 05, 2014 01:14:42 pm
      Brendan has pinned his flag to Stevie's mast so to speak and he doesn't like to be proved wrong so I cannot see any situation other than injury that will prevent Stevie from starting. I still think he would offer more further up the field whether its for an hour or longer most of his game is not used playing so deep
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1287: Oct 05, 2014 02:11:42 pm
      Got a bollocking yesterday from Henderson in the stoppage time for putting a ball in the box rather than going into the corner.

Not often I say this but Stevie got it wrong. Should of just stayed in the corner. 2-1 up, three or four minutes left. Just eat up the time.

Apart from that though, Stevie was sound again. Wasn't harassed by the Baggies like some sides have done recently (to their own detriment), sprayed the ball nicely, got booked because of a under hit pass from Lallana, moved forward and looked as dangerous as ever there.

But f**k it, he still needs dropping rar now doesn't he?

;D. Bit of a nerve really considering Stevie had to bail out Hendo after a horrendous pass in the first half which nearly cost us.

Agree though that it's a massive conundrum as to where and how you play him.

Quick Reply