Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Newcastle 2 - 2 Liverpool - post match frustration

Read 39645 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Re: Newcastle 2 - 2 Liverpool - post match frustration
      Reply #437: Oct 19, 2013 04:49:05 pm
      There is not playing well, and there is not even trying.

Today they weren't even trying for most of the game.

You can forgive the odd game or two where everyone puts the heart and soul into the match but things just don't go our way.

But it's unacceptable to put on a Liverpool shirt and jog around, not make runs, be sloppy off the ball, lose the ball and not track back, and so on, all of which were on display for pretty much the entire match.

That goes beyond "not playing well" and into apathy.

Absolute rubbish fella. It's the sort of crap the talk sport phone in lot come out with after a poor England performance. your usual white van man can't think of anything else to say but "where's the passion".

Can you name five examples off the top of your head where you witnessed a lack of passion?

We didn't play well, we're completely unsuited to this formation, there was no fluidity and our movement was hampered by the set up BUT I didn't see a lack of effort or passion. Your talking rubbish again fella.
      DanMann

• 5,789 posts | 892 
      Reply #438: Oct 19, 2013 04:55:43 pm
      It will Dan, because to be honest, I can't recall one instance when Suarez wasted a chance. He was good today and unlucky not to score.

;)  I know, that's why I said it.

Okay, now for some perspective.

A draw against Newcastle - that given our awful play could easily have been a loss.

We finish the week in joint 2nd (although losing ground on Arsenal).

We have Coutinho returning soon. Johnson had his run out game after injury. Sturridge and Suarez on form (even if today was not the best). Lot's of positives.

Oh, and Utd drew too... conceding an 89th min equaliser  >:D
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #439: Oct 19, 2013 05:00:02 pm
      I am getting really fu**ed off with all this 'happy to be in the top four' sh*t i'm reading on here lately, from lots of posters.

Since when have Liverpool supporters been happy with anything less than first?.

We should not be happy with the fact we have now lost at home to Southampton and drawn a game against a poor Newcastle side, a side that was down to ten men for 50 minutes.

The fact of the matter is we should still be top of the League. So for that reason i am not happy. We should be 3 points clear not 2 points behind. We have lost ground already in a time when we should have been building a lead.

This 'top four' mentality has to be eradicated, it seems FSG are slowly working their magic on some.

DanMann

• 5,789 posts | 892 
      Reply #440: Oct 19, 2013 05:02:39 pm
      I am getting really fu**ed off with all this 'happy to be in the top four' sh*t i'm reading on here lately, from lots of posters.

We should not be happy with the fact we have now lost at home to Southampton and drawn a game against a poor Newcastle side, a side that was down to ten men for 50 minutes.

The fact of the matter is we should still be top of the League. So for that reason i am not happy. We should be 3 points clear not 2 points behind. We have lost ground already in a time when we should have been building a lead.

This 'top four' mentality has to be eradicated, it seems FSG are slowly working their magic on some.

Wowzers. Aren't you a happy chappy?

You must have been near death the last few years  :roll:
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #441: Oct 19, 2013 05:08:09 pm

Appreciate your passion fella but the change in attitude comes from being pretty crap for several years whilst our rivals spend and get stronger year on year. The first is everything 2nd is nowhere approach is nice but I think most reds are realists and I'd be absolutely delighted if we finished in 4th spot This season
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1518 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #442: Oct 19, 2013 05:16:53 pm

You just can't dismiss the bigger picture and the reality of what has happened to our club over the last quarter of a century.

Claiming you are happy to be in the top four is not the same as saying you are happy to be in the top four forever even if we do not come first. Being happy to be in the top four has to be viewed in light of the present circumstances we are in. New(ish) manager, first season with a team the Gaffer can finally say 'is his', our playmaker out, new signings coming in (Cissokho, Sakho, Alberto, Aspas etc I'm still not sure of the way to spell their names as they've not been here long enough), haven't been in Europe for about 4 seasons etc. You bet I'm happy we're in the top four right now. I'd be happier if we were top, but we aren’t top though, so going by our position last season when we were 13 points off the top; I can say I am happy to be in the top four at this present moment in time. Yes it’s mightily frustrating we didn’t pick up 3 points, and yes I’m not happy because it meant us losing ground on Arsenal, but where we are currently I’m happy. Appeased would probably be a more accurate definition.

The upshot is that you have to look at the bigger picture when some say they're happy with 2nd/3rd/4th.

Could be worse, we could be man u

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #443: Oct 19, 2013 05:19:54 pm

See I don't understand the irrationality of this post. A lot of us are 'happy in the top four' because it's realistic in the short term, ambitious in the long term - we know it gives us a foundation to build upon and its highly unlikely with this squad we will win the league. We're not just simply happy in the top four, don't be so stupid, of course we want to be top. But it's this sort of blind fandom that will get the club nowhere.

We looked leggy today and lacked that bit of quality behind the two strikers. No balls were finding the SAS partnership, and that's where we desperately lacked it. Henderson will never give us that killer ball, Moses is there to provide width but won't give that killer ball, Gerrard as effective as he was today cannot be relied upon as we did years back. There is simply a lack of quality in that attacking area, even more stark without Coutinho. Rodgers knows that and that is why he knows we are far from the finished article. He will continue to invest in that area in January.

But if some fans want to think this squad is the finished article and can claim top spot, then get your head sorted. Credit to Newcastle, they defended excellently and seemed to have learnt from their horror show last year - well organised and very solid. I'm not too disappointed with today's result - as long as we keep points ticking over, rather than coming away with nothing, we will be in the mix.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,312 posts | 4950 
      Reply #444: Oct 19, 2013 06:01:56 pm
      I missed the game today and it appers we again didn't play as well as we would like to, or should do, but we are still sitting well in the league and hopefully performances will follow.

I'd much rather have the points and be looking to improve the performance than the other way round which was so often the case for us over the years.

Very quiet on here as well tonight.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #445: Oct 19, 2013 06:10:52 pm
      You're ignoring the main point, it was not merely that we played poorly today, it was that the players showed that they didn't care about the fact that they were playing poorly.  They weren't even trying.

This doesn't bother you it seems.  Ok then.

Evidence? What is that comment based on? Can you identify situations where the players did not try? Shirked 50/50s? Failed to track runners BECAUSE they couldn't be bothered?

Talk sport phone in standard comment
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,620 posts | 7143 
      Reply #446: Oct 19, 2013 06:23:39 pm

expectations have been dumbed down for some time and it takes the pressure of FSG.We showed a startling lack of all round quality in midfield but look at who we have to pick, when our "star" player is a young lad who really so far has done nothing to get excited about. if you really want to see this club win the league look at Arsenal buying Ozil and theres the bench mark.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #447: Oct 19, 2013 06:31:33 pm
      We haven't played well all season but we're 3rd tonight so things can only get better, as they say. I think the Suarez/Sturridge combination gives us cause for optimism.

For me, Henderson is not good enough for a top 4 team. We need quality in midfield and we can challenge for the title. Get Henderson and Allen out the door and get two quality centre midfield players in to replace them. They can push Lucas and Gerrard for those positions and we'll be a much stronger team.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1518 
      Reply #448: Oct 19, 2013 06:31:35 pm
      if you really want to see this club win the league look at Arsenal buying Ozil and theres the bench mark.
      I was mentioning this today to my son

We are crying out for an Ozil type player
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #449: Oct 19, 2013 06:33:41 pm
      I don't feel i'm in a position to slate anyone as I was only able to listen to the game on the radio. Just thought against 10 men and drawn level, we would go on and win it. Sometimes difficult against 10 as they usually park the bus, but to concede against 10. Very dissapointed with that, how ever it came about.
      Another away point all said and done, but we just don't seem to be at the same level, we were at towards the end of last season. I know strikers have to be selfish sometimes, but I do wonder if ours take the wrong option and go it alone a bit too often, when theres a better chance on with a pass or cutback. Or in fact the reverse. It's about decision making in a split second I suppose. We'll likely be 4th tonight and I see us slowly slipping down the order if we can't raise our standard over the next few games. Not too happy, but an improvement on last season i suppose, just hope we can learn from it.
      A draw against Newcastle away isn't the end of the season for us, but I am concerned about how often these opportunities slip away from us.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #450: Oct 19, 2013 06:44:31 pm

Difficult to find for <£15m budget.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6408 
      Reply #451: Oct 19, 2013 06:45:04 pm
      Frustrating match, we really should have done better. I hate seeing teams press us all the way up the field and we continually drop off and invite pressure.

Thought Skrtel played a great match, thought Glen looked good as well. Henderson needs a spell on the bench for me and Sterling shouldn't ever come off it. Hope we get our fire back for the next match cause to me we looked listless today.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #452: Oct 19, 2013 06:45:32 pm
      I don't feel i'm in a position to slate anyone as I was only able to listen to the game on the radio. Just thought against 10 men and drawn level, we would go on and win it. Sometimes difficult against 10 as they usually park the bus, but to concede against 10. Very dissapointed with that, how ever it came about.
      Another away point all said and done, but we just don't seem to be at the same level, we were at towards the end of last season. I know strikers have to be selfish sometimes, but I do wonder if ours take the wrong option and go it alone a bit too often, when theres a better chance on with a pass or cutback. Or in fact the reverse. It's about decision making in a split second I suppose. We'll likely be 4th tonight and I see us slowly slipping down the order if we can't raise our standard over the next few games. Not too happy, but an improvement on last season i suppose, just hope we can learn from it.
      A draw against Newcastle away isn't the end of the season for us, but I am concerned about how often these opportunities slip away from us.

It seems City will be 3rd tonight alright which I have to say is disappointing. It's a wide open Premier League this year and  massive opportunity to get into the top 3, let alone top 4. Even Everton and Southampton seem to be doing nearly as well as our supposed great start.

We are weak in midfield and it's hurting our performances. I just hope we sign one and maybe 2 QUALITY midfielders in January because a midfield of 33 year old Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson and Allen will let us down badly in the race for Champions League IMO.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,312 posts | 4950 
      Reply #453: Oct 19, 2013 06:47:41 pm
      I was mentioning this today to my son

Indeed.

Wasn't Mhkitaryan or Costa supposed to be that player though?

Strange how we flipped from chasing those two to defenders when we missed out on them.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #454: Oct 19, 2013 06:51:15 pm
      if you really want to see this club win the league look at Arsenal buying Ozil and theres the bench mark.

Been saying this for ages now,  WESLEY SCHNIEDER !
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1518 
      Reply #455: Oct 19, 2013 06:54:09 pm

Will never happen, we don't seem to buy players over the age of 24 any more
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #456: Oct 19, 2013 06:54:30 pm
      If you do a lot of work over the course of a week and then do bad at work next time your in would your boss cut you some slack?

These are footballers getting paid more in a week than what we all earn in a year and then people say about them feeling sluggish after an extra game one week and basically use it as an excuse...bollocks! For that amount of money I expect them to be fit and going 100% every game!

Fair enough from a shareholders point of view. At some point, I thought the players didn't want to play. But well if you are the boss with a bunch of tired staff. Do you ask them to drop everything, stop work and replace your best workers immediately? I see where this is heading. Are we saying BR failed to inspire his staff today? Seems like it.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #457: Oct 19, 2013 06:58:06 pm

I think FSG's target is the CL money, simple as that. We can be there without spending more money.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #458: Oct 19, 2013 07:07:58 pm
      Fair enough from a shareholders point of view. At some point, I thought the players didn't want to play. But well if you are the boss with a bunch of tired staff. Do you ask them to drop everything, stop work and replace your best workers immediately? I see where this is heading. Are we saying BR failed to inspire his staff today? Seems like it.

At the end of the day BR can only do so much, he will motivate the team pretty much the same way week in week out but it's ultimately down to the players as they are the ones stepping out on to the pitch and not doing good enough, they cant pick and choose what games they are up for and what games they can't be bothered. Its not BR making the errors on pitch that cost us goals, it's not BR playing with no desire and giving the ball away and going into the challenge half arsed.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #459: Oct 19, 2013 07:19:49 pm

We are weak in midfield and it's hurting our performances. I just hope we sign one and maybe 2 QUALITY midfielders in January because a midfield of 33 year old Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson and Allen will let us down badly in the race for Champions League IMO.

I agree with most of this, Barnes, I think Lucas can still do a job with stronger, more creative players ahead of him. Players he would have more confidence in giving the ball to. I also think we'd get more out of Stevie with better players in the centre of the park. Henderson offers us lots of energy, and he covers a lot of ground. A massive improvement on last season, but still doesn't inspire me and offers little guile, creativity, or consistency. Allen for me is just too lightweight for the prem, and most of his best work is sideways and backwards. Again, not creative enough going forward, keeps the ball well, but offers little as an attacking threat.   
      We deffo need an influx of quality in the middle of the park.

Quick Reply