Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

So far, have our summer transfer dealings a success or not?

Read 6778 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      So far, have our summer transfer dealings a success or not?
      Nov 16, 2013 09:01:00 am
      Would any judgement at this stage seem somewhat premature? I don't know, but if I was going to review our transfer dealings over the summer I would give it a six out of ten. Up until now, I don't think we've done too badly, and given our current league position, clearly something has clicked within the team.

I think missing out on a marquee signing could've hurt us or will hurt us a wee bit. It may be the difference between a draw and a loss against one of the more dominant sides.

How would you review our new signings so far? Mignolet, Toure, Sakho, Ilori, Cissokho, Alberto, Moses, and Aspas. How do you feel about Reina going on loan? Was it the correct decision, or should he have been sold? And what about Suso? Do you see a future for him here? If so, what could the future hold for young Alberto who already has Coutinho ahead of him?

So where has our improvement come from this season? New signings? More competition? Or are we just starting to click as the team Rodgers had in mind?

Edit: Changed the context of the post slightly.
      « Last Edit: Nov 16, 2013 09:27:02 am by CoutinhoRed »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,983 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Were our summer transfer dealings a success or not?
      Reply #1: Nov 16, 2013 09:16:26 am
      Sorry fella but this another pointless thread imo, we 're but ten games in and we are again judging whether our summer signings are good enough ?

We are doing ok mate , 2nd top with a long long way to go, let's keep the judging until May,
      Then we can spend all summer debating our transfer activities , good or bad  ?

I'm out

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,517 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: Nov 16, 2013 09:19:04 am
      Sorry fella but this another pointless thread imo, we 're but ten games in and we are again judging whether our summer signings are good enough ?

We are doing ok mate , 2nd top with a long long way to go, let's keep the judging until May,
      Then we can spend all summer debating our transfer activities , good or bad  ?

I'm out

YNWA
      have to agree at the moment, not the time to judge now.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Nov 16, 2013 09:23:15 am
      Fair enough. Let's stop slating Cissokho and Aspas in the meantime then. Far too early to judge huh? ;)
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2013 09:24:38 am
      Fair enough. Let's stop slating Cissokho and Aspas in the meantime then. Far too early to judge huh? ;)

Nail

Head
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,983 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: So far, have our summer transfer dealings a success or not?
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2013 09:35:55 am

Fair enough mate , I think most ARE to quick to judge these days , myself included I must admit.

YNWA
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #6: Nov 16, 2013 09:36:38 am
      Mignolet and Toure have been the stand-outs so far from the summer signings. Sakho has played relatively well, Moses not great, llori and Alberto yet to prove themselves and, so far, Cissokho and Aspas have been flops.

Not by any means a great window but we replaced Carra and Pepe and made some signings that have the potential to be top players. I would agree that we missed out on a 'marquee' signing and everyone knows that, even BR, as he tried to spend big on players like Mkhitaryan and Mata (supposedly).

To answer your question about Suso, yes of course he has a future here, I don't see BR selling one of the most promising youngsters we have. I don't see that affecting Alberto's position here though, it could very well be that he, Suso and Coutinho are the future of Liverpool's midfield.

The most promising thing for me is that, at times, we have played poorly but still got a result out of it and that's what champions do. That has been the biggest improvement, our winning mentality has been restored and that can only get better when we start to play better consistently. The tale of the last few seasons is that luck has seemed to be against us, we would have the most shots on target for the season or been the team that has hit the woodwork most and we have came against some of the finest goalkeeping displays I've ever seen (Ben Foster last season). But that is changing, we are more clinical in front of goal and luck seems to be on our side for once.

If we can get that 'marquee' signing in January (and some cover in other positions) then I don't see why we can't think the unthinkable.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #7: Nov 16, 2013 09:46:02 am
      Would any judgement at this stage seem somewhat premature?

Yep.

Fair enough. Let's stop slating Cissokho and Aspas in the meantime then. Far too early to judge huh?

It is too early to judge them as a whole but having an opinion on them by the game is fine. Pretty pointless having a forum otherwise.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #8: Nov 16, 2013 09:57:47 am
      It is too early to judge them as a whole but having an opinion on them by the game is fine. Pretty pointless having a forum otherwise.

That's true, although I've read countless of times that people have already written off both Cissokho and Aspas in terms of being a success here. That's seems to be the general consensus anyway.

Who knows to what heights Aspas may reach in the footballing world.

Though I will say that I was disappointed to see Sahin offloaded to Dortmund last winter. Thought he could've been a decent player for us.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Nov 16, 2013 10:08:16 am
      I think we replaced our experienced players exceptionally well.  Migs and Toure have done brilliantly 'cos let's face it most of us were really worried about losing both Carra and Pepe in one window.

Alberto and Ilori I'm not that concerned with this season, they are both ones for the future.  Whether they actually make it at the highest level is another matter.

Sakho although he hasn't set the stage alight he's not made any glaring mistakes either.  He's a fine option that I believe will just get better and better as he settles in, learns the language and the league.

Aly and Moses I'm not fussed about yet.  They're both loanees and both have a huge amount to prove over the coming months if they're to justify a permanent move.  If they do that they're obviously good enough.

Aspas is the only one I'm disappointed with, having said that he showed in pre season he knows where the goal is.  He's come from being a big fish in a very small pond to being a small fish in a very big pond.  He probably wasn't prepared for the hustle and bustle of English football, is still settling in, learning the language and how we play.  He might not feature massively this season but if we qualify for Europe next season he's a good squad option to have.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #10: Nov 16, 2013 10:41:38 pm
      Considering the boots he's had to fill, Mignolet has done really well. Was gutted when Reina left, but it would take some high-spec red tinted bins for anyone to deny that he has been off form by the high standards he has set. Mignolet saved us dropping points in our opening two games and hasn't slipped up any more than Reina had of late. Also feels like a bit of false positive spin but replacing an older player with someone younger who can perform at the same level (if not better long term) is a great move.

Toure has also done well stepping into Carragher's shoes - and Reina's in some way, in that he's been a great addition in the dressing room as well as on the pitch. Losing two big voices is a big hit to a squad mentally; I'm glad Toure has turned out to be such a big character as well as an efficient defensive signing.

I'm on the fence so far over Sakho. He's still young and he's highly regarded as one for the future; but he's still adapting to the switch to English football so he's bound to experience the odd mistake.

Ilori is one for the future so I'm not surprised we haven't really seen him figure. The fact Sporting Lisbon were wounded to have lost him speaks volumes though so I have high hopes for the lad.

Cissokho hasn't really impressed me so far. But, for me, he's served his purpose in giving Enrique a kick up the arse as an actual left back to compete for his place. I doubt he'll be kept on past this season.

Moses has shown flashes of promise for us so far. His link up with Sturridge and Suarez has looked impressive but then he's equally as likely to go missing the next game. I was disappointed when he joined Chelsea from Wigan though - there's definitely something there. I just hope we aren't denied the chance to take him on full time if he really begins to impress.

I'm quite shocked Luis Alberto hasn't featured more. I know he's still young but I was under the impression this lad was already some way toward first team football. Especially with Coutinho out the past few weeks, I'd have thought he'd have figured in his place. Is there something keeping him from it? Is he not impressing the backroom staff in training? There seems to a bit of Daniel Pacheco about the lad. We'll soon see anyway; as much as I've had negatives 

Aspas is a huge disappointment. I knew he'd be behind in the pecking order with Suarez and Sturridge being a level above the majority in our league, ever mind our squad. But he's looked lightweight and ineffective at best when he's played. I saw him at that open training session and he looked impressive, lots of effortless tricks and flicks but it clearly doesn't translate when he's faced with someone who genuinely wants to take the ball off him. He's like a cross between Stewart Downing and Moe Syzslak. 

We'll soon see anyway. As much as I slated Rodgers in his first season, I can't deny that he's not scared of showing sh*te to the door. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Moe Aspas is binned and Alberto loaned out in January. 
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #11: Nov 17, 2013 12:31:13 am
      Overall the level of the squad has improved and some signings have made a huge impact already.
      The others I believe will come good and I believe it's too early to give a ultimate judgement so soon.
      The boss is creating his own squad and is going about it well.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #12: Nov 17, 2013 04:50:33 am
      Early days, but it looks like we have done pretty well. Mignolet, Toure and Sakho are great acquisitions. Ilori and Alberto are for the future. Aspas needs game time. The loanees will probably end up going back though.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Nov 17, 2013 08:52:46 am
      Aspas has been the biggest disappointment for me in terms of what I expected him to bring to the team. I never thought he'd be a 20 goal a season striker, but he clearly has more ability as a scorer and provider than hes shown.

I wouldn't write him of just yet, he looked decent enough in pre season, and remember how long it took Crouch to break his duck.

Illori will be a regular starter in the future I'm sure, Sakho is doing ok, and he'll get better the more games he gets.
      You're is a great signing, slotted straight into the first team.

Cissokho look a little average so far, can't see us signing him permanently.

I feel Alberto will have to make his breakthrough this season or he'll be sent out on loan, With Suso coming back next season, Luis may find it difficult to break into the first team then.

Moses is a good player, don't think he'll be wearing a Red shirt next season though, he hasn't had a big enough impact to warrant a permanent move.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #14: Nov 17, 2013 09:14:22 am
      i thought out marquee signing was sakho?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #15: Nov 17, 2013 09:26:47 am
      Pretty sure it was Moses ;-)
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #16: Nov 17, 2013 09:36:16 am

He's definitely not our marquee signing. Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent defender but what level would you say he's on? Same as Skrtel and Agger?

I would personally see a marquee signing as someone like Diego Costa
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #17: Nov 18, 2013 07:02:15 pm
      Hmmm. Its hard to define success.. "A good player"? "Good value"?

Aspas I was sure would be a disappointment. And he hasn't shone. Not overly cheap. Not overly expensive.
      Cissoko I wasn't impressed with... but he's only a loan.
      Moses- not bad, not terrific... only a loan anyway.
      Sakho- quality player, not cheap, I'll keep watching.
      Toure - cheap, experienced, has done ok.
      Mignolet has done ok. Not cheap, disheartening to see the legend that is Pepe leave.
      L Alberto- cheap(ish). has done nothing yet.

Summing up. Where money was spent, we saw good players. Where money wasn't, we couldn't really expect much. I never understood why someone would go on about "Ged's duds" and "Rafa's flops" when players cost chickenfeed. To me, the issue is always one of value and also balance to the team.

We didn't see great value. We weren't exactly ripped off. Disappointing in terms of ambition really. Most were jsut squad players/ones for the future. Mig, Toure, Sakho are respectable as 1st teamers (Mig my own grievance aside)

I see our performance as resting more on last Jan's signings and a redhot in-form Luis. And perhaps... this Jan's..
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #18: Nov 18, 2013 07:35:07 pm
      plenty time for all the "squad" to show their worth.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #19: Nov 18, 2013 08:37:40 pm
      Toure seems to have settled well.  He was never going to be a problem though - he's an experienced professional and experienced playing at a club about a 30 minute drive away.

Cissokho and Aspas have both been rocked by injuries so I wouldn't even attempt an initial analysis on them.

Sakho has looked equally tetchy and good.  His start at Liverpool very much reminds me of Skrtel's and look who our defensive lynchpin is now.  He definitely looks like he can tackle and he's come into the club when we have been titting about with our central defensive partnerships.

Mignolet has been far busier than I expected he would needed to have been, but I think when you get a new keeper in you just want them to avoid looking calamitous.  He's done a good job.

Not seen enough of Alberto and Moses to cast judgement.

I think we replaced our experienced players exceptionally well.  Migs and Toure have done brilliantly 'cos let's face it most of us were really worried about losing both Carra and Pepe in one window.

Agree. Think this was the most critical change that we needed to overcome this summer and we have done it well.

Aspas has been the biggest disappointment for me in terms of what I expected him to bring to the team. I never thought he'd be a 20 goal a season striker, but he clearly has more ability as a scorer and provider than hes shown.

As I mentioned he's hardly had a good run out though.  And incidentally... ;)

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/stats/lfc-player-influence.html

Moses has shown flashes of promise for us so far.

His first game was his best for us IMO.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Nov 19, 2013 08:23:29 am

Excellent

Mignolet excellent shot stopper, but has made a few mistakes too. Thankfully most haven't cost us points or even a goal but overall an excellent signing who had big boots to fill and has so far just about managed it.

Toure has been excellent so far. Has that little bit of extra pace and anticipation, .... quality player who will probably not get the game time he perhaps deserves due to his age.

Average

Aspas looked promising in pre-season, works hard and can pass. Not sure if he will adapt to the pace and physicality of the prem.

Sakho looks like he will be a top defender once he settles. I haven't been as impressed with his games so far as most have , but like most I think he has the ability, the size and the strength to get much better than we have seen so far.

Poor

Moses and Cissokho not seen enough of them to really assess them.... Cissokho has looked crap so far, Moses I think will struggle for games but might prove a decent option on the wing if Brendan ever decides to go with just the one striker rather than two.

Scottbot

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #21: Nov 19, 2013 10:24:46 am
      Nothing wrong with a bit of early season analysis of our summer signings, especially when we're in the middle of another shoddy international borefest (although i must admit i always like an England Germany game). Besides most of us have to admit we make early judgements on players and then stand to be corrected, Cissoko is a great example of that although he is shi.....te ;-)

Mignolet - Probably the most controversial signing given how popular Pepe is with the fans. I actually felt that Pepe was back somewhere close to his best during the last 4-5 months of last season BUT there is no denying he was very inconsistent for a long period prior to that and I do believe that Mignolet has been an upgrade for the position. He started a little shaky in terms of claiming high balls and some of his decisions at corners but this aspect has improved and given our susceptability at corners it was important to have a keeper with a big physical prescence and he has certainly brought that. His shot stopping has been excellent, I can't recall too many goals this season where we have had to ask the question "could the keeper have done better there?". The obviouos trade off has been Simon's ability with the ball at his feet. If you take the Saints game earlier in the season, they figured we had 4 centre-halves on the pitch that day so they simply pressed the hell out of us safe in the knowledge that our big goalkeeper was about as comfortable on the ball as the guys he was passing out to. Reina is a classic sweeper keeper and is very similar to Vorm at Swansea so it was surprising to see Rodgers opt for a less technical (with his feet) keeper such as Mignolet BUT ultimately it is about stopping goals so i am very happy with our goal keeper. I would liike to see him a little more composed when the ball is rolled back to him though, he does tend to play it safe with a long kick downfield when there is an option to slip the ball out to one of his centre-halves.

Toure - What a signing he has been, and on a free as well. Inspired bit of business for me. Not only has he played better than many of us expected, his touch is better than I realised and he is still very quick for a 32 yeard old. He has also brought a wealth of experience and LEADERSHIP which was massive given that we have lost the most vocal player at the club over the last 10 years. I klnow a good few posters think that Toure might now be eased back to being the squad player we all thought he'd be when he was signed but I think he will win his place back in the side despite the competition.

Sakho - I like this lad. Big, strong, alert, committed in both the tackle and in the air. He is a real defenders defender. He doesn't look particularly comfortable on the ball, in fact he reminds me of Traore with the ball at his feet BUT despite this his passes tend to find their man and he very rarely gives the ball away. His game does need a bit of tweaking but already i think we have seen some improvements in the short time he has been at the club, and i guess some of this has to do with his lack of a full pre-season and regular playing time. He does need to stay on his feet a little more and also to pick and choose his moments to step out and get tight to players and obviously he will need to gain a better graps of the language but by this time next year we could have a real player on our hands.

Moses - His appearances so far have been fleeting and it's hard to make much of a judgement because we haven't really seen him play in his best position (on the left of a 3) all that much. He played a few games in the 10 shirt when we were playing 3-5-2 but this really isn't his spot, he doesn't look particularly comfortable playing centrally  from a technical or tactical perspective but he does offer pace and power and a directness lack we lack in other areas if he is played on the left wing with the option of cutting in onto his stronger foot. It would not surprise me to see Moses have a decent season and secure himself a permanent move by the end of the season. Obviously we wanted Willian but Moses was a pretty savvy signing I think.

Aspas - Must admit i really liked what i saw of Aspas from the footage that was out there prior to the season and he seemed to confirm it during a strong pre-season but it hasn't really worked out so far and without league cup or Europa league action i'm struggling to see him getting many games between now and the end of the season tbh. I like his movement and his tenacity but he looks a bit lightweight in this league and i would not be shocked to see him loaned back to La Liga in January if we can bring on a player to replace him. so as things stand, he looks a bit of a flop.

Alberto - A real head scratcher for me. Looks a real technician, a pure passer of the ball, very easy on the eye, the sort of player your average LFC fan likes to watch. But hold on a minute, didn't we already have one of those in Suso? Suso showed more on his debut against United last season than Alberto has shown so far this season so it is strange that Suso is the one who has been sent off to get more experience only to be replaced by a player who is making his debut in top flight football in a league that is alien to him. That's not to say that Alberto won't make a player, i actually quite like him but when we were struggling to get past the loss of Coutinho Suso was the player who could have stepped in and partly filled the void. Alberto is very much a developmental signing but again, with the absence of any European football there isn't really an avenue this season for him to actually develop. Particularly as Brendan seems to like him in central midfield despite his background as a wide player in a 4-3-3.

So all in all, some hits and some misses based on the season so far. The hits haven't been as big as Sturridge and Coutinho and the misses haven't approached the dark days of Carroll and Downing so i'd say it's been a fairly solid start for our new players. Clearly we could do with a couple more in Januaray. A couple to match the impact of last January and i'd fancy us to go and win the bloddy thing BUT that would take some doing.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #22: Nov 19, 2013 03:45:12 pm
      Migs - Outstanding.  I was nervous when we bought him and loaned Pepe out, but he has been superb for us so far and I think we are better with him in goal than Pepe.  Reina is a better "sweeper keeper" but Migs is a better shot stopper.  9/10

Toure - Another outstanding player, made even better by the fact he was FREE!!  Adds so much experience as well as quality and composure to our back line.  He is also great for the younger lads to look up to and learn from.  9/10

Sakho - Hasn't been as great as some might suggest, but he has shown enough to prove he has all of the necessary attributes to be a truly world class CB.  Just needs more time to adapt to the English game, BR's system, and gain a better understanding with his teammates.  7/10 performance wise, but 9/10 for potential and ROI

Moses - Hasn't really gotten a good run in the team in his preferred position, although I'm not sure he's earned it either....  I like him as a player, but then again I also liked Sahin....  I think there is more to come from Moses, but I'm not sure he will get the chance to show that to us in a red shirt.  5/10

Aspas - Had a good start in preseason, but has been dreadful when it matters.  His movement and workrates are good, but he has been quite poor overall.  I doubt he will ever cut it in the Prem, but I could be wrong and it certainly wouldn't be the first time.  3/10

Alberto - Hasn't had much of a chance yet, but I still expect big things from this kid.  He looks a real proper footballer, but I think the style of player he is means he will not really start to shine at the top level for a few more years.  4/10 on his performances, but 8/10 for the potential I see in him

Illori - This years Assaidi ???  Not sure what to make of this one.  One for the future I guess, but it would be nice to see the lad play sometime!!  N/A

Quick Reply