Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match

Simon Mignolet
      5 (6%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      7 (8.4%)
      Martin Skrtel
      27 (32.5%)
      John Flanagan
      8 (9.6%)
      Steven Gerrard
      18 (21.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      3 (3.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      3 (3.6%)
      Victor Moses
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (2.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      7 (8.4%)
      Luis Alberto
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Dec 04, 2013 04:02:04 pm

Hull City Tigers 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 39254 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Re: Hull City Tigers 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #621: Dec 01, 2013 09:32:06 pm
      [quotebut the fact that we had > 60% possession suggests we were not overrun today - we had enough of the ball - we just did shag all with it ALL over the pitch - front,back, middle, sides. And a poor Hull side bundled in 3 poxy goals, and I still can't quite believe it.
      [/quote]

Sums it up, maybe just one of those days.......hopefully.... .....let's see what reaction we get against Norwich and not just the result but a 90 min performance.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #622: Dec 01, 2013 09:32:17 pm
      Poor post. We are conceding off long balls and set plays, we are not being cut to shreds. Not every loss is Lucas' fault.

I'm not saying it is "Lucas' fault" that we lose, or that we concede goals. What I am saying is that his inclusion is hardly making us watertight at the back, so it's probably worth asking the question as to whether it's worth even playing an out and out, 100% defensive midfielder. 
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #623: Dec 01, 2013 09:33:53 pm
      A lot of poor performances today and its true that the manager must take a lot of the blame, just like he takes the praise after any good performance.

Yes but the blame has to be proportional and directed to the right area. He's not directly to blame for the performance but is to blame for the players he's brought in. The problem I have is with people calling for his head who are unsurprisingly quiet when we're beating the likes of United or grabbing a last gasp equalizer in a thrilling derby game. Give ciriticism where it's due but give praise where it's deservered in equal measure.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #624: Dec 01, 2013 09:36:24 pm
      Don't think there is many calling for the managers head apart from the odd 10 year old.
      When you lose to Hull for the first time in the EPL then you are bound to get some over reaction.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #625: Dec 01, 2013 09:37:19 pm
      Oh, they have to "earn their spot" do they?  what did Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson etc do last weekend to earn their spot against Hull?  absolutely nothing.  What did they do today to earn their spot against Norwich?  nothing.  But you can bet the farm they'll be in the lineup Wednesday. 

Basically, some players have to earn their spot.  Others are sacred cows who can play like sh*te and still be guaranteed to start.

Em.... We played against Hull, not Norwich.

Gerrard has been very good and active on the pitch. He is also the captain and the fastest midfielder we have. The Sturridge injury may have forced Brendan to make some rash decisions like the extreme change in defence, and the wings.

Come January, I hope we get us a good striker and an attacking midfielder.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #626: Dec 01, 2013 09:38:43 pm
      Given that, it seems a bit daft to me to have a go at the current manager when he has us currently in with a chance of having our best season in the league for the last five

He's equally got us set up to reproduce the same sort of finishes we've witnessed in the last five, were 4th the chasing pack, Chelsea, City have now overtook us, Everton are breathing down our necks level on points.

Still a lot of football to play, anything could happen, I'll not jump the gun and say we'll finish 6th or 7th and I'll equally not say we'll challenge for the title for the simple reason the problems that have been evident all season are still evident and teams are starting to exploit them, the way Rodgers reacts to this will make or break our season in my opinion.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #627: Dec 01, 2013 09:42:40 pm
      Before Brendan came we had finsihed comfortably outside the Champions League spots for three seasons running, under three different managers. The squad had demonstrated fairly clearly that they were some way below being the best in the Premiership, let alone competitive in Europe. Given that, it seems a bit daft to me to have a go at the current manager when he has us currently in with a chance of having our best season in the league for the last five. Not saying we weren't sh!te today because we were, but unexplainable horrific performances have characterised our play under Rafa, the King and Hodgson. It's hardly something new.

Because BRs been here only a wet weekend, I haven't really had a right go at him. I'd have been one of the ones who wanted KK to stay, and was pissed to see him go etc etc, but got behind BR ... and I still think with the resources he has, he's doing OK so far this year.  BUT he will be judged at the end of the year. For me, better than last years position will be enough to support him, worse and there will be hard questions.

One thing though that stuck in the craw today though was the fact that two of the main signings - Borini and Allen - are nowhere to be seen. And Alberto and Apas are also pratically forgotten men (I thought Alberto today looked utterly hopeless). His signings NEED to improve. Fair enough we don't have as much cash as some sides, but 18mill went on Sahko who isn't getting much game time -- maybe he could've spent that more wisely? That's a chunk of change.

In saying all that, and today's dog's dinner aside, we've started well, and if we bounce back and get some momentum going again, we might get back into contention. The signs today were ominous ... but if you could pick a team, it would be Norwich ...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #628: Dec 01, 2013 09:43:27 pm
      When you lose to Hull for the first time in the EPL then you are bound to get some over reaction.

Calling for his head is without doubt an over reaction but try telling the support who travelled today (by making that horrendous trip where you just get on the M62 and keep going until Hull [the arsehole of Great Britain] stops you from falling off the edge of the country) that they aren't entitled to a F***ing good, old moan after getting served up that sh*te.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #629: Dec 01, 2013 09:46:43 pm
      Calling for his head is without doubt an over reaction but try telling the support who travelled today (by making that horrendous trip where you just get on the M62 and keep going until Hull [the arsehole of Great Britain] stops you from falling off the edge of the country) that they aren't entitled to a f**king good, old moan after getting served up that sh*te.

Can't disagree with any of that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #630: Dec 01, 2013 09:49:08 pm
      One win in our last six league games away(7 if you count the mancs in the cup). Starting to look like not only can we not beat the better sides, but we can't win away either.....

At least we have a home game against a poor side up next. We can't lose against Suarez' bitches Norwich can we ? 
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #631: Dec 01, 2013 09:51:40 pm
      One win in our last six league games away(7 if you count the mancs in the cup). Starting to look like not only can we not beat the better sides, but we can't win away either.....

At least we have a home game against a poor side up next. We can't lose against Suarez' bitches Norwich can we ? 

Nah, we always hockey Norwich. So I'll buy a few cans, stick Luis as my FF captain, and enjoy the massacre :)
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #632: Dec 01, 2013 09:51:57 pm
      Before Brendan came we had finsihed comfortably outside the Champions League spots for three seasons running, under three different managers. The squad had demonstrated fairly clearly that they were some way below being the best in the Premiership, let alone competitive in Europe. Given that, it seems a bit daft to me to have a go at the current manager when he has us currently in with a chance of having our best season in the league for the last five. Not saying we weren't sh!te today because we were, but unexplainable horrific performances have characterised our play under Rafa, the King and Hodgson. It's hardly something new.

Hodgson was a sh*t manager, Mick, but he only had six months in the job. He didn't even get a full season. Kenny got one full season in charge, and reached two major finals but finished a poor 8th in the league and was sacked.

Rodgers is certain to get two full seasons in charge, and has already spent over £80m on players. He finished 7th last season and was poor in cup competitions. He is closer to 9th than 1st as the table stands tonight so I'd hold off the lavish praise or excessive criticism until we see where we are around March.

I think 4th is going to be very difficult if Utd find their gears. But if he finishes below Everton after two full seasons and the money he has spent, I doubt even you could complain if he was removed.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #633: Dec 01, 2013 09:55:23 pm
      Calling for his head is without doubt an over reaction but try telling the support who travelled today (by making that horrendous trip where you just get on the M62 and keep going until Hull [the arsehole of Great Britain] stops you from falling off the edge of the country) that they aren't entitled to a f**king good, old moan after getting served up that sh*te.

Everyone desrves a moan after today but some people are doing it for no other reason other than he's not [insert favourite manager] rather than the result. Gratuitous Brendan Rodgers bashing isn't moaning, it's fucktardary.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #634: Dec 01, 2013 09:59:31 pm
      Hodgson was a sh*t manager, Mick, but he only had six months in the job. He didn't even get a full season. Kenny got one full season in charge, and reached two major finals but finished a poor 8th in the league and was sacked.

Rodgers is certain to get two full seasons in charge, and has already spent over £80m on players. He finished 7th last season and was poor in cup competitions. He is closer to 9th than 1st as the table stands tonight so I'd hold off the lavish praise or excessive criticism until we see where we are around March.

I think 4th is going to be very difficult if Utd find their gears. But if he finishes below Everton after two full seasons and the money he has spent, I doubt even you could complain if he was removed.

Especially when the majority of the players he's signed he doesn't play. If I was Henry I'd be looking with a raised eyebrow as to why Sakho and Allen especially aren't getting a game when taking into consideration their costs. I'd also be strongly considering doing a 'Sahin' with the Moses loan.

But then again, maybe Rodgers isn't making all of the decisions.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #635: Dec 01, 2013 10:00:10 pm
      I'm not saying it is "Lucas' fault" that we lose, or that we concede goals. What I am saying is that his inclusion is hardly making us watertight at the back, so it's probably worth asking the question as to whether it's worth even playing an out and out, 100% defensive midfielder. 

It's deffo worth asking the question, i actually thought he was one of our better players this afternoon BUT I think you need to look at the other players available and then make a decision on whether you need an out an out holder. Having Lucas is great IF we've got two full backs who have it in them to bomb, today we only had one. Also, the two full backs bombing on only truly works IF you're playing with inverted wingers (because of the natural space it provides) and again today we only had one and unfortunately it was on the side of the pitch where it couldn't be exploited (the left). I actually think Allen ahead of Lucas would have been the way to go today.

I don't think anyone can say we got overran, I can't recall Mignolet having a save to make but we conceded three very scrappy crappy goals and 6 in two games is a worry. Clearly our biggest issue was a lack of invention in the final third. Hull were very well organised and defend superbly in their final third, they did a great job screening in front of Suarez and we desperately needed someone to get in contact with him and bring him into the game. I was quite disappointed with Brendan's adjustments today, despite the wingers both playing poorly I would have kept one of the wide lads on and asked Coutinho to play as a 10 to try and work something with Luis. Whenever he got the ball it was wide left with two markers and zero support from Flanagan. We actually went from being a team that tried to play with width but failed to one that simply bailed on even trying to play in wide areas.

Big test ahead with the injuries we have. It's crucial we win our next two at home ahead of a very difficult Christmas period and I think that this is where we really see what Brendan is made of.

As has been the case the last few seasons, when were bad were really bad and today was no different.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #636: Dec 01, 2013 10:00:58 pm
      Everyone desrves a moan after today but some people are doing it for no other reason other than he's not [insert favourite manager] rather than the result. Gratuitous Brendan Rodgers bashing isn't moaning, it's fucktardary.

I agree mate people just have to accept that Roy Hodgson is never coming back
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #637: Dec 01, 2013 10:16:00 pm
      Well that was a dire performance and the weekends results and our lack of points in recent weeks is starting to show.

I never expected a title run this season and always expected and hope for a top 5 position come May.

I have faith in BR and think he is moving us forward but today was another example of a young and inexperienced manager making a mistake.
      He will learn from this and his team selection for the coming weeks will be easier to make as some players simply aren't turning up or aren't good enough.

I really want to see a settled back 5 and to have Joe Allen given a run of games. I really do believe that if he can get some matches under his belt without fear of the chop that we have a great player there.

Sterling desperately needs to be loaned out to make a pro out of him and Johnson needs some pressure on him for his position.

I want to see Aspas and Alberto given some more game time and the boss being bold enough to drop a few of the older heads...yes that's Stevie and Lucas.

Our midfield this season has been terrible and he has to be brave to get the best out of the squad.
      « Last Edit: Dec 01, 2013 10:42:29 pm by lester76 »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #638: Dec 01, 2013 10:27:12 pm
      I want to see Aspas and Alberto given some more game time and the boss being bold enough to drop a few of the older heads...yes that's Stevie and Lucas.

Sorry to chop a decent post but I keep seeing this and every time I do I don't see that particular poster suggesting a better pairing that could come and do their jobs better.

Who would you swap them with?
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #639: Dec 01, 2013 10:34:15 pm
      Going for a four nil win today with a hat trick for Suarez, come on you Reds.
      F**k was I wrong today, we never turned up! But that's football onto the next game, come on you Reds.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #640: Dec 01, 2013 10:40:18 pm
      Sorry to chop a decent post but I keep seeing this and every time I do I don't see that particular poster suggesting a better pairing that could come and do their jobs better.

Maybe its not the midfield personel that needs changing, maybe its the tactics, our midfield looks so open has done for a while.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #641: Dec 01, 2013 10:45:51 pm
      Maybe its not the midfield personel that needs changing, maybe its the tactics, our midfield looks so open has done for a while.

Exactly, been saying it for ages. You've got to get the best out of what you've got not persevere with something that isn't working.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #642: Dec 01, 2013 10:47:14 pm

Well for the Hull game i wouldn't have played Sterling from the start so that's Aspas getting the nod right there.

As for Alberto, as much as i appreciate Henderson's industry i think our midfield lacks such guile so that's Luis A getting a 1st 11 selection.

I would also drop Lucas or Gerrard for Allen.

Of course its a risk and hindsight is a wonderful thing but the fact that the Boss seems to rotate the defense and not the midfielders is a great worry....we can all see how poorly we have performed in that section of the pitch for most of the season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #643: Dec 01, 2013 10:49:56 pm
      Exactly, been saying it for ages. You've got to get the best out of what you've got not persevere with something that isn't working.

That's why I think its a tactical thing, I think Rodgers is happy for us to be open if it means were creating chances.

Quick Reply