Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Pre Match: Liverpool v Norwich - Wed 4th Dec at 7:45

Read 9268 times
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 309 posts | 43 
      Pre Match: Liverpool v Norwich - Wed 4th Dec at 7:45
      Dec 02, 2013 02:53:21 pm
      This is my first post for a while so It will be a bit of a mixture of the pre match talk and some things that need discussing :)

Firstly - We host Norwich on Wednesday looking for 3 points to put the disappointment of the defeat by Hull behind us. Norwich will be looking to build on their 1-0 win over Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Norwich are an organised side but seem to struggle away from home and are likely to line up with a 4-5-1 formation. They currently sit 14th in the table.

After the performance at Hull, I'm sure there were many of us wondering who will play in the next game, mainly in defence. So I'd like to go into some depth with some players in the current squad and see which system suits our side best.

Rodgers has said he wants to play a balanced 3-5-2 formation, so I'm guessing once Enrique or Cissokho come back into the side we will see this again.

This is the team I'd play against Norwich, using a 3-4-1-2 formation.

Mignolet - Probably our best player so far this season, a great shot stopper and improving all the time.

Skrtel - I feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, he's been our most consistent defender this season and was so unlucky with 2 of the goals against Hull on Sunday. He's strong and throws himself in front of everything and in my view should start every game until someone proves to be a better option.

Agger - Our vice captain and in my view of best defender. We miss his leadership when he's not on the pitch and I feel he has to come back in if we are to sort our defensive issues out.

Sakho - Another player who shouldn't be sitting on the bench. Stick him in there with Skrtel and Agger and I can't see Norwich's strikers getting to much joy.

Johnson - Had a poor game on Sunday, we know he can do much better and playing him at Right wing back with Skrtel covering him should give him the confidence to push forward.

Henderson - I'd like to see him in the middle with Gerrard and to play the box to box role on Wednesday.

Gerrard - Usually the sort of game he controls and makes things happen. Can see Gerrard being important in this one.

Cissokho - Didn't have the easiest start to his LFC career getting injured in his first start, and I think he's paid for that. I'd start him and try to get him some confidence for the long run. Flanagan has done well and I'd be happy to see him start at Right wing back and Johnson to come in on the left but I would like to see Cissokho start this one.

Coutinho - Doesn't look 100% fit at the moment but this is the sort of game he can cause havoc. Play him in the hole and give him the full 90 mins.

Suarez - An obvious starter, always gives everything and enjoys playing against Norwich.

Aspas - Needs some time to show what he can do and this is the sort of game he could grab a goal and some confidence. I'd definitely start him.

Subs: Jones; Flanagan, Ilori; Allen, Lucas; Moses, Alberto.

I would like to see both Allen and Alberto come on around the 60 minute mark, for Gerrard and Aspas. And possibly Ilori for Skrtel, just to see what he can do.

I think that side would work well and I'm confident we will win comfortably and it will be good to give a few of our fringe players some minutes.

My prediction: I can see us winning this comfortably, I'm going for 4-0. 

Which side do you think we will pick and do you think we will win? Which formation do would you go with?

:kop5cf8koxp6:

*Admin could you add in a picture please I have forgotten how to do it.
      « Last Edit: Dec 02, 2013 04:34:53 pm by JD, Reason: Title »
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Liverpool v Norwich - Wednesday 4th December - 7:45 Kick off
      Reply #1: Dec 02, 2013 02:56:34 pm
      All I am going to say about this game for now is I am expecting a massive response.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2: Dec 02, 2013 02:56:38 pm
      Suarez seems to love to score against Norwich. I'm hoping for another hat-trick and hopefully a quick way to forget the awful performance at the weekend.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Dec 02, 2013 03:03:04 pm
      This is my first post for a while so It will be a bit of a mixture of the pre match talk and some things that need discussing :)

Firstly - We host Norwich on Wednesday looking for 3 points to put the disappointment of the defeat by Hull behind us. Norwich will be looking to build on their 1-0 win over Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Norwich are an organised side but seem to struggle away from home and are likely to line up with a 4-5-1 formation. They currently sit 14th in the table.

After the performance at Hull, I'm sure there were many of us wondering who will play in the next game, mainly in defence. So I'd like to go into some depth with some players in the current squad and see which system suits our side best.

Rodgers has said he wants to play a balanced 3-5-2 formation, so I'm guessing once Enrique or Cissokho come back into the side we will see this again.

This is the team I'd play against Norwich, using a 3-4-1-2 formation.

Mignolet - Probably our best player so far this season, a great shot stopper and improving all the time.

Skrtel - I feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, he's been our most consistent defender this season and was so unlucky with 2 of the goals against Hull on Sunday. He's strong and throws himself in front of everything and in my view should start every game until someone proves to be a better option.

Agger - Our vice captain and in my view of best defender. We miss his leadership when he's not on the pitch and I feel he has to come back in if we are to sort our defensive issues out.

Sakho - Another player who shouldn't be sitting on the bench. Stick him in there with Skrtel and Agger and I can't see Norwich's strikers getting to much joy.

Johnson - Had a poor game on Sunday, we know he can do much better and playing him at Right wing back with Skrtel covering him should give him the confidence to push forward.

Henderson - I'd like to see him in the middle with Gerrard and to play the box to box role on Wednesday.

Gerrard - Usually the sort of game he controls and makes things happen. Can see Gerrard being important in this one.

Cissokho - Didn't have the easiest start to his LFC career getting injured in his first start, and I think he's paid for that. I'd start him and try to get him some confidence for the long run. Flanagan has done well and I'd be happy to see him start at Right wing back and Johnson to come in on the left but I would like to see Cissokho start this one.

Coutinho - Doesn't look 100% fit at the moment but this is the sort of game he can cause havoc. Play him in the hole and give him the full 90 mins.

Suarez - An obvious starter, always gives everything and enjoys playing against Norwich.

Aspas - Needs some time to show what he can do and this is the sort of game he could grab a goal and some confidence. I'd definitely start him.

Subs: Jones; Flanagan, Ilori; Allen, Lucas; Moses, Alberto.

I would like to see both Allen and Alberto come on around the 60 minute mark, for Gerrard and Aspas. And possibly Ilori for Skrtel, just to see what he can do.

I think that side would work well and I'm confident we will win comfortably and it will be good to give a few of our fringe players some minutes.

My prediction: I can see us winning this comfortably, I'm going for 4-0. 

Which side do you think we will pick and do you think we will win? Which formation do would you go with?

:kop5cf8koxp6:

*Admin could you add in a picture please I have forgotten how to do it.

Thanks for beating me to it!
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #4: Dec 02, 2013 03:04:36 pm
      Time for the lads to show what they can do...

We need to bounce back, or we could lose a lot of ground on top 4 very quickly..! I hope for a strong performance here, but will not give a prediction.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #5: Dec 02, 2013 03:08:02 pm
      We have to show a big response.

------------------------------------Mignolet-----------------------

Johnson---------------Agger----------------------Skrtel------------Sakho

----------------------Allen-----------------------Gerrard--------------

Henderson------------------------Alberto--------------Coutinho                                                                                   

----------------------------------Suarez-----------------------------

Henderson and Allen don't deserve to start, but we have no choice.

Lucas needs binning off. Agger back, as he's our best defender.
      Stewie89
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #6: Dec 02, 2013 03:08:27 pm
      I'm more than expecting a backlash and a statement of intent. My only concern is the left back role and if GJ is moved there. I also wouldnt mind going to three at the back or perhaps even add some steal to the CM by playing Toure there meaning Gerrard can be used as a luxury player.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 841 
      Reply #7: Dec 02, 2013 03:24:45 pm
      As I've said in the other match thread

I think we will beat Norwich, well we will aren't we? we are not that bad!

I would like to see Allen given a game, rest Lucas and play Gerrard with Allen (at least Allen offers something while on the ball). I would also give Aspas another try with Coutinho, Suarez needs to play with players he is confident with, not Moses or Sterling
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4414 
      Reply #8: Dec 02, 2013 03:37:20 pm
      I would personally ditch henderson dont need his pressing (what ever that is!) against Norwich and bring in Alberto. Allen instead of Lucas and give Aspas a run of games to prove himself or get rid at the end of the season.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #9: Dec 02, 2013 03:38:20 pm
      So lets forget the unforgeable Sunday our lads had at the KC stadium.. the awful performance which was followed by an awful result. As Brendan may be saying, it's important to be resilient and show we can bounce back from this terrible defeat.

Am expecting little Phillipe back in the starting XI just where he belongs. It's difficult to pinpoint who were the under performers last week - they all were. However, with Sturridge out I'm expecting us to remain with a 4231 formation. Would like to see Joe Allen regain some confidence as our central midfield is at present a cause for concern. Lack of pace and mobility in midfield is leaving us exposed at the back, and the opposition are capitalising on this with little effort.

My team: Mignolet, Flanagan, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Moses, Coutinho, Suarez.

We are 10 points clear of Norwich City. A high scoring win would ensure that we remain fourth, although the likelihood of Everton thrashing United at the toilet is slim. Newcastle are a point behind us and are set to travel to Swansea. By no means an easy game. I remain confident that by Saturday we will still be fourth, and with a little luck maybe even 3rd hoping City (on 25pts) will drop points at the Hawthorns.

We can't afford to drop any points. If we're going to get Champions League football, everyone in the team needs their fair share of playing time. If not, then when someone gets injured, you'll see a rusty player or two who seemingly just can't play football. They need to keep fit as well as fresh.

Previous encounters against Norwich have seen Luis Suarez bagging a hatrick and the scoreline ending five something. Let's hope for the same.

Predicted outcome: Win 3-1
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4414 
      Reply #10: Dec 02, 2013 03:41:27 pm
      So lets forget the unforgeable Sunday our lads had at the KC stadium.. the awful performance which was followed by an awful result. As Brendan may be saying, it's important to be resilient and show we can bounce back from this terrible defeat.

Am expecting little Phillipe back in the starting XI just where he belongs. It's difficult to pinpoint who were the under performers last week - they all were. However, with Sturridge out I'm expecting us to remain with a 4231 formation. Would like to see Joe Allen regain some confidence as our central midfield is at present a cause for concern. Lack of pace and mobility in midfield is leaving us exposed at the back, and the opposition are capitalising on this with little effort.

My team: Mignolet, Flanagan, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Moses, Coutinho, Suarez.

We are 10 points clear of Norwich City. A high scoring win would ensure that we remain fourth, although the likelihood of Everton thrashing United at the toilet is slim. Newcastle are a point behind us and are set to travel to Swansea. By no means an easy game. I remain confident that by Saturday we will still be fourth, and with a little luck maybe even 3rd hoping City (on 25pts) will drop points at the Hawthorns.

We can't afford to drop any points. If we're going to get Champions League football, everyone in the team needs their fair share of playing time. If not, then when someone gets injured, you'll see a rusty player or two who seemingly just can't play football. They need to keep fit as well as fresh.

Previous encounters against Norwich have seen Luis Suarez bagging a hatrick and the scoreline ending five something. Let's hope for the same.

Predicted outcome: Win 3-1

Moses are you serious?

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #11: Dec 02, 2013 03:45:56 pm

Yes!

He was god damn awful on Sunday, would you agree?

In a normal world you'd say "young man, you disgraced yourself out there. You ain't playing again."

But not in my world..
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4414 
      Reply #12: Dec 02, 2013 03:51:37 pm
      Glad I dont live in your world Countinho. :)

With Moses attitude to the game yesterday I would send him straight back to the Chavs and give someone who give a F**k a chance.
      Tadders

• 6,828 posts | 580 
      Reply #13: Dec 02, 2013 03:52:18 pm
      If BR drops everyone who has a stinker for the next match we will be sending out 3 players Wednesday, surely he has to give some of these over paid useless clowns another chance at the expense of our evenings entertainment.
      I expect Joe Allen to start and pass the ball sideways for 90 minutes, which is F***ing ironic because if he did that the other week he would have been automatic first choice for Hull....
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #14: Dec 02, 2013 03:58:47 pm
      No way in hell Stevie should start.  Rodgers needs to F***ing grow a pair and bench him.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #15: Dec 02, 2013 04:08:58 pm

I agree with this, primarily because I think Suarez needs a partner who will make direct runs and take up dangerous positions in the box, which will in turn create space for Luis to operate in. 

Moses is such a frustrating player to watch!!  He has incredible talent/ability, but he just never seems to capitalize on it.  He reminds me of Assaidi to an extent - he always seems to be on the verge of doing something incredible, but never does anything in the end....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #16: Dec 02, 2013 04:20:42 pm
      I'd be tempted to change it up a bit and bring Agger back in but more as a sweeper/DM and get Suarez a partner up front.

Mignolet

Skrtel      Sakho

Henderson        Agger        Johnson

Gerrard      Alberto

Coutinho

Suarez  Aspas
      « Last Edit: Dec 02, 2013 04:42:38 pm by srslfc »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #17: Dec 02, 2013 04:29:39 pm
      I agree with others. I'd like to see Alberto get some game time, see what the lad can do. We just haven't seen enough of him yet to make a judgement on that signing.

No way in hell Stevie should start.  Rodgers needs to f**king grow a pair and bench him.

I understand where you're coming from with this but you have to consider that the alternatives are far, far worse. We simply do not have a credible alternative to Gerrard in the squad right now.

Moses is such a frustrating player to watch!!  He has incredible talent/ability, but he just never seems to capitalize on it.  He reminds me of Assaidi to an extent - he always seems to be on the verge of doing something incredible, but never does anything in the end....

Moses was a big fish in a small pond and has done nothing to justify an extended run in the side.

Mignolet

Johnson
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Sakho

Lucas
      Alberto
      Gerrard
      Coutinho     

Aspas
      Suarez

It's Norwich, it's at home and it's on the back of the worst performance this season and a humiliating loss. I'd make this Aspas' last chance to shine in a Liverpool shirt. If he fluffs it, we move him on in the Summer.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,632 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Dec 02, 2013 04:32:05 pm
                                       Suarez

Coutinho    Alberto

Gerrard     Lucas   Henderson

Sakho       Agger        Skrtel      Johnson

Mignolet

Tis the season to win home games.
      « Last Edit: Dec 02, 2013 04:45:43 pm by racerx34 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #19: Dec 02, 2013 04:33:17 pm
                                       Suarez

Coutinho    Alberto

Gerrard     Lucas   Henderson

Sakho       Agger        Skrtel      Johnson

Mignolet

This the season to win home games.

The good old Christmas tree formation.

Nice.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,314 posts | 769 
      Reply #20: Dec 02, 2013 04:38:41 pm
      Massive game ahead on Wednesday, even though the opposition is Norwich another mediocre side, although seemingly capable of providing another upset after such a poor performance against Hull. Those selected for the game really need to stand up and be counted if another potential banana skin is to be avoided.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Norwich - Wed 4th Dec at 7:45
      Reply #21: Dec 02, 2013 05:07:30 pm
      Mignolet; Kelly, Skrtel, Sakho, Flanagan; Allen, Gerrard; Coutinho, Ibe; Aspas, Suarez.

Hope we actually drop our sh*te players for a change. With Sturridge out, we need to see what Aspas can actually offer (and if we need a striker in January) and the next two games give us that chance.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Norwich - Wed 4th Dec at 7:45
      Reply #22: Dec 02, 2013 05:30:50 pm
      am I missing something?  why are so many people suggesting alberto gets to be a starting XI?  He hasnt played much this year I agree but the times he has, he has been super lacklustre at best...  His work ethic and off the ball movement is horrid.... also he is really weak on the ball and gets bossed easily.  Aspas on the other hand, while he struggled to put the ball into the back of the net, he is a little work horse and has shown his desire to succeed. IF he is healthy, I would put Aspas in to play with Suarez and hopefully begin an AaS strike force  ???

my starting XI would be

Mig, Skrtel, sakho, Agger, Flanagan, Gerrard, Henderson, Lucas, Coutinho, Aspas, Suarez

and yes, I also think our midfields need an overhaul but as sad as reality is.... Gerrard, henderson and lucas imo are still the best we have.

Quick Reply