Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Our away form

Read 1719 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Our away form
      Dec 09, 2013 01:01:33 pm
      Something I've been eager to mention is how concerned I am with our away form this season. Although we are currently sitting 2nd in the league, a lot of that is down to our impressive home record. On our travels, however, we've continued to drop needless points in a similar manner to that of Manchester City.

Our away games so far:

Villa 0-1 Liverpool
      Swansea 2-2 Liverpool
      Sunderland 1-3 Liverpool
      Newcastle 2-2 Liverpool
      Arsenal 2-0 Liverpool
      Everton 3-3 Liverpool
      Hull 3-1 Liverpool

Admittedly, our away fixtures have been somewhat tougher than our home fixtures thus far. Next up is Spurs, and I just hope we can start imposing ourselves more on the home teams. Either they don't fear us when we're away, or we are just lacking in that confidence. Everton's performance yesterday was something to aspire to. They showed a lot of courage to travel to the emirates and play with such arrogance. That should be us.

Where do you think the problem lies on our travels? Confidence, tactics, bad team selection or just bad luck?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Our away form
      Reply #1: Dec 09, 2013 07:40:19 pm
      To be fair the only shocker there is Hull
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,670 posts | 7156 
      Reply #2: Dec 09, 2013 08:39:26 pm
      To be fair the only shocker there is Hull
      Wasn't the Newcastle game against 10 men for an hour that's a shocker.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Dec 09, 2013 09:54:08 pm
      Wasn't the Newcastle game against 10 men for an hour that's a shocker.

Joe Allen not making it 3-1 at Goodison was also a bit of a shocker. That aside, it's those 2-2 draws with a mediocre Swansea and that draw against Newcastle which should've been wins.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4: Dec 09, 2013 10:05:20 pm
      Joe Allen not making it 3-1 at Goodison was also a bit of a shocker. That aside, it's those 2-2 draws with a mediocre Swansea and that draw against Newcastle which should've been wins.

Swansea weren't mediocre that night and nor were they necessarily at the start of the season. That was never going to be a win once Coutinho went off - show a bit of context surely? But the 2-2 draw against Newcastle was definitely not up to it.
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #5: Dec 12, 2013 08:42:48 pm
      I voiced the same concerns about our away form recently, but looking at that set of results as a group it is a respectable points return for a side chasing top four- Aston Villa, Sunderland and Hull were the three must-wins, two of which we managed, the other was a stinker which every team suffers in a season; Everton (unbeaten at home in 2013 in the Premier League), Newcastle and Swansea are tough places to go, you would expect all three of them to be in the top ten or eleven by season's end; Arsenal are the best team in the league at the moment, so that result is no disgrace.

If you take the games in which we have dropped points in isolation though, and analyse them accordingly, it is frustrating that we have only won two and not at least four...

Swansea - we were 1-2 up. It's always disappointing to drop points from a winning position. In fairness we ended the game with no Suarez (banned), no Coutinho (injured) and a half-fit Sturridge, so it was a decent point.

Newcastle - they went down to ten men just before half-time, the resulting penalty from which we drew level. Doesn't matter who you play or where, if you have a man advantage in this league for that long then you should make it count, especially with our aspirations. They have since beaten Chelsea, Tottenham and Man Utd though, so if you ignore the red card then it's a good point.

Arsenal - no real argument here, they were better than us on the day. We did have an unfairly disallowed goal at 1-0. Were a bit unfortunate in that Johnson, such a key component of our attacking play, fell ill on the day, and we couldn't play our playmaker Coutinho from the start. Like I said though, this result was no disgrace.

Everton - we were 1-2 up when Mirallas should have been sent off for his horrific tackle, and would probably have gone on to win if the ref wasn't such a bottle job. Then Allen proceeded to miss a sitter to make it 1-3. Looking back at those two key moments in the game and thinking what could have been, of course it's extremely frustrating we didn't end up winning. Thankfully we didn't lose either, thanks to a late equaliser, at a team with a very impressive home record (and who always rev themselves up for our visit of course).

Hull - just a (very) bad day at the office. Arsenal had theirs at home to Aston Villa, Chelsea suffered their one at Stoke, Man City with defeats at Cardiff and Sunderland. We were very poor, but still should have avoided conceding all of the goals, especially the first (big deflection) and third (bizarre own goal).

I just hope we pick ourselves up on the road, we'll have to with our upcoming away games. On the other hand, we've got some very tough ones out of the way with the only mega tough trips in the second half of the season coming at Man Utd and Southampton, and it'll take much bigger a sample of bad performances against sides of Hull's standard before I become overly concerned.

Quick Reply