Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Tottenham v Liverpool - Sunday 15th Dec - 16:00 Kick off

Read 15666 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Tottenham v Liverpool - Sunday 15th Dec - 16:00 Kick off
      Reply #115: Dec 13, 2013 11:58:09 am
      Not confident about this fixture at all, and I think we will get Jack from it.

Unless someone plays a blinder in the midfield I think we will suffer.

Gerrard and Sturridge both being out is a huge blow.

Spurs, away, Sunday, on TV, injuries, bet the Ref is Webb too, just don't like our odds :(

Glad to see it's not just me who doesn't like sunday games.

It's not even anything I can put my finger on, just a vague feeling of not liking it.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #116: Dec 13, 2013 01:50:23 pm
      Are you sure it's Spurs you've been watching play? Who have scored about 10 goals and have a manager castigated for being too cautious and defensive?

I'm asking you the same question, did you watch carefully how Spurs play? Don't believe what the stats says, go watch their games again and tell me are they capable of putting 3 goals past us if we don't defend properly. Yes, they haven't been scoring a bagfull of goals as they have almost 1/2 the team of new players and they are improving with every game, getting sharper by the game.

If we let Lennon and Defoe the freedom to roam and run amok, do you think we would survive? Their main weakness is their defence not their attack, that's the reason AVB is retreating at this moment of time, AVB is not stupid he knows where his strengths and weaknesses are? Perhaps we both watched different Spurs.

If I'm AVB I'd do the same.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #117: Dec 13, 2013 01:59:22 pm
      Just checked out their forum and some of the comments on there are laughable. One person put along the lines of "there is a slight chance this isn't going to be quite the walkover we think it's going to be". How the f**k has one of their fans got the cheek to write such a ridiculous comment. How they can see this as a walkover I'll never know. They're getting excited because Soldado has finally scored a few goals from open play against an absolute sh*te Anzhi team.

This is one team I've started to despise. Some of them saying we will be weaker without Sturridge in the team; showing clearly how clueless they are as he hasn't played for a few weeks and we've banged in the goals more often than not. Can't wait to see Suarez rip their defence to pieces.

They're too arrogant for their own good. If we can frustrate them and subject their defence to intense pressure we definitely stands a chance. Let them think it's a walkover, I like playing against over confident teams.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #118: Dec 13, 2013 02:07:54 pm
      I think the momentum is with them to an extent and I ll be happy with a draw given our injuries but they are in a bit of a mess to be honest. If they finish 4th it ll be because of moyes not Avb. 53 million looks wasted on soldado and lamella. Chadli is average and his presence not doing townsend's development any good. Erikssen looks average. They have no left back. Walker and Lloris making mistakes. Dembele far from creative and paulinho has the worst shots to goals ratio. And Avb is continuing what he did at Chelsea. Dawson against city reminded me of American pie (and dawson can teach how to run, real slow)..
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #119: Dec 13, 2013 02:08:02 pm
      I'm asking you the same question, did you watch carefully how Spurs play? Don't believe what the stats says, go watch their games again and tell me are they capable of putting 3 goals past us if we don't defend properly. Yes, they haven't been scoring a bagfull of goals as they have almost 1/2 the team of new players and they are improving with every game, getting sharper by the game.

If we let Lennon and Defoe the freedom to roam and run amok, do you think we would survive? Their main weakness is their defence not their attack, that's the reason AVB is retreating at this moment of time, AVB is not stupid he knows where his strengths and weaknesses are? Perhaps we both watched different Spurs.

If I'm AVB I'd do the same.

Talk about stating the obvious, of course if we defend poorly they will score goals against us, which team would not. If Lennon and Defoe are given freedom exactly mate IF.

If their strength is their attack just remind me how many premiership goals they have scored, oh yes less than Suarez!!

I am not saying Spurs are a poor team but they are certainly not Man City who do have a great attack and poor defence. Spurs strength is in the midfield and if we can stop the supply to the forwards we will win.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #120: Dec 13, 2013 02:46:56 pm
      Talk about stating the obvious, of course if we defend poorly they will score goals against us, which team would not. If Lennon and Defoe are given freedom exactly mate IF.

If their strength is their attack just remind me how many premiership goals they have scored, oh yes less than Suarez!!

I am not saying Spurs are a poor team but they are certainly not Man City who do have a great attack and poor defence. Spurs strength is in the midfield and if we can stop the supply to the forwards we will win.

The obvious is there to be seen but people tend not to take notice of it so it has to be emphasized. So you are a stats man while I look at their actual performance on the field, so we are debating on different grounds and did you realise how many chances they have created and that they could have scored and how many times they have hit the bar and post? I didn't count but it's not that far off from what happened to us a few seasons ago. 

Again talking of the obvious, they have a much better midfield than us without a shadow of doubt but I wouldn't be as confident as you to say if we could stiffle their midfield we would win, they could do likewise to us.  As much as I hate to say it, with a depleted midfield, we will most probaly need to resort to long balls to Suarez.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #121: Dec 13, 2013 02:53:57 pm
      just saying as I see it mate, Spurs are trying to inbed a whole bunch of new players and yes they might click on Sunday because they do have potentially a great midfield but I have not seen anything this season which suggests as long as we dont drop any clangers why we cannot win.
      West ham beat them 3-0 at WHL.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #122: Dec 13, 2013 05:02:24 pm
      As much as I hate to say it, with a depleted midfield, we will most probaly need to resort to long balls to Suarez.

Why? We're only missing Stevie in midfield, it's a significant loss granted but it doesn't mean we have to resort to West Ham tactics for crying out loud! Allen, Hendo and Coutinho are quite capable of feeding passes through to Luis we don't have to drop our entire football philosophy!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #123: Dec 13, 2013 05:23:11 pm
      Some of the posts on here you would think we are playing Bayern.....!!!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #124: Dec 13, 2013 06:05:23 pm
      We're deffo going to miss Gerrards dead balls.

Who's taking in his absence you reckon?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #125: Dec 13, 2013 06:21:46 pm

Who's taking in his absence you reckon?

Coutinho will take corners and indirect free kicks. Luis obviously will take direct free kicks and any pennos.
      Bier
      Reply #126: Dec 13, 2013 06:25:59 pm
      It's hard to predict this one. Tottenham are a very hot and cold side at the moment, but while they've been struggling all season they're only 3 points behind us. And for us it will be interesting to see if Allen can step up to the plate.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #127: Dec 13, 2013 08:12:52 pm
      If Hendo can play, and I hope he can, would go with:

Migs
      Kelly Agger Sahko Flanno
      Jonno Hendo Allen Sterling
                  Coutinho
               Suarez

Skyrtel for me has not been great last two games, and the o.g.s have been clumsy. So drop in Agger with Sahko. Not sure if they've played together, but I'd give it a go.
      Lucas looked slow when he came on v WH, ball nicked off him etc. so I'd leave him out, move Jonno into midfield and have Hendo and Allen in the middle.
      Don't think BR will do that though. Reckon he will probably go with:

Migs
      Jonno Skyrtel Sahko/Agger Flanno
            Lucas Allen
      Coutinho Hendo Sterling
               Suarez

Spuds are nothing to be scared of, but for some reason think our record there ain't great, and we'll miss SG - still think we can get a draw and that wouldn't be a bad result. A win would be the dogs-bollocks.
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2013 08:23:21 pm by bmck »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #128: Dec 13, 2013 08:23:26 pm
      Lets not forget less than 3 weeks ago Man city put 6 past them and their last game against Fulham who are sh*te wasn't exactly a walkover for them.....okay i'm not saying it's gonna be an easy game for us but we are more than capable of coming away with a point at least..
      For me, its a back 5 of Johnson , Agger, Sakho, Skrtel & Flannagan
      Midfield 3 of Allen , Lucas , Henderson with Coutinho floating across all three..
      and the best striker in the Premier League Luis Suarez up top on his own..
      We've gotta keep it tight at the back and hit them when we can on the break..It might be boring to watch but if you want 3 points away at White Hart Lane sometimes you gotta soak it up and stand tall..
      Get a few free kicks 25 yards out and give Suarez the ball and who knows? give him the ball 45 yards out and who knows? ha ha..
      They CAN be beaten at home though !! Newcastle & West Ham have gone there and done it, why can't we?..

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      Anker Rose Skov
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #129: Dec 13, 2013 08:28:22 pm
      Eriksen is back for Tottenham.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #130: Dec 13, 2013 08:31:16 pm
      I F***ing hate playing Spurs. sh*t fans with their one sh*t song.

I think their midfield is just the type to give us problems, as they are very athletic.

Out of curiosity, I looked up their results after Europa League games:

Beat Swansea 1-0 at home.
      Lost to Arsenal 1-0 away.
      Beat Cardiff 1-0 away.
      Lost to West Ham 3-0 at home.
      Beat Hull 1-0 at home.
      Lost to Newcastle 1-0 at home.
      Drew United 2-2 at home.

10 points from a possible 21. We are more than capable of nicking a result, though I feel like every game at WHL something goes F***ing tits up against us. Would love to shake that feeling.

2-1 to the Reds, with Suarez and Hendo scoring.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #131: Dec 13, 2013 08:41:36 pm
      Checking back, recent results against them ain't been great (and the win, I thought we were a bit lucky to beat them last year 3-2 at home).
      And before that, we only got 1 point from a 15 available, the 4-0 away sticking in the memory.

Few positives. Modric has left (thank f**k), they ain't scoring freely and a certain Luis Suarez :)

2012/2013    Sun 10 Mar    Liverpool    3 - 2    Tottenham H.    Premier League 
         Wed 28 Nov    Tottenham H.    2 - 1    Liverpool    Premier League 
      2011/2012    Mon 06 Feb    Liverpool    0 - 0    Tottenham H.    Premier League 
         Sun 18 Sep    Tottenham H.    4 - 0    Liverpool    Premier League 
      2010/2011    Sun 15 May    Liverpool    0 - 2    Tottenham H.    Premier League 
         Sun 28 Nov    Tottenham H.    2 - 1    Liverpool    Premier League
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #132: Dec 13, 2013 08:45:20 pm

Alex misses them more.  :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #133: Dec 13, 2013 09:13:30 pm
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #134: Dec 13, 2013 10:33:18 pm
      Watched Tottenham last night, thought they found some real form, couldn't help feeling, I wish that they where playing away, then they would not have recovered from the journey back, come Sunday.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #135: Dec 13, 2013 10:52:12 pm
      Watched Tottenham last night, thought they found some real form, couldn't help feeling, I wish that they where playing away, then they would not have recovered from the journey back, come Sunday.

I'll take their form with a pinch of salt; whilst they are only 3 points behind us they have struggled to victories over weaker teams (narrowly beat Palace 1-0, narrowly beat Fulham 2-1 and the same for Sunderland among others). Of course it's irrelevant as long as the team picks up 3 points but if they put in another lacklustre performance against us I have major confidence that we will beat them on Sunday regardless of our poor record. They're there to be broken after all.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #136: Dec 13, 2013 11:23:01 pm
      Chance of Luis being captain on Sunday according to Brendan, Agger not guaranteed to come in.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #137: Dec 14, 2013 01:29:21 am
      As long as Henderson does something constructive, and just doesn't run round in circles like he did against the arse, we should match their mid field. If not for talent, definitely for effort. That may be all it takes to stifle them a  bit and dent their creativity. Allen will also have to start making more forward passes, and less sideways, to keep them on the defines a bit more. Suarez can do the business as long as he's getting the service. Coutinho in behind him has enough in his locker to create that. Seems he's improving with every game since his return. The pair will deffo be a big worry for spuds.    Still going for 1 - 2 the red men, regardless of their mid week result. We owe them one as well.

Quick Reply