Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match trauma

Read 39965 times
      JamieOliver
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Re: Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match trauma
      Reply #667: Dec 29, 2013 10:28:19 pm
      Second match in a row referee stoled points from us  :f_steam:
      We deserve to have at least 2 points from visits in Manchester and Chelsea...
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #668: Dec 29, 2013 10:32:30 pm
      First of all, BR didn't say anything about the referee because he's already being 'investigated' for his comments the last day. He would only be digging a hole if he said something.

Second of all, I'm nearly certain that by putting Smith and Rossiter on the bench today it was a signal to the owners of just how bad our squad is. He's a smart lad Brendan and he knew what he was doing.

There's a difference between keeping your peace and praising the refree who has single handedly cost us more points over the years than any opposing eleven.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #669: Dec 29, 2013 10:37:48 pm
      I can't believe the Gaffer would deliberately and knowingly jeopardise our ECL aspirations by sticking a couple of kids on the bench, that's too much of a gamble (though it was weird). I'm more concerned with what Alberto has done to deserve the treatment he's getting. I.e. after coming on for cameo appearances and looking half tidy, he's just not been given a fair crack at the whip.

Webb never helped our cause, but in this game, I think we only have ourselves to blame. We shot ourselves in the foot with a combination of poor tactics, and poor individual performances. Incidentally, I don't blame Mignolet for either goal. Eto (who shouldn't have been on the pitch) is not going to miss from 2 yards out - he was so close, Mig couldn't react. I'm more concerned with why Martin was not goalside of Eto'o and what on earth has happened to Johnson? A few weeks ago he was taken to hospital ill, I don't think he's recovered.

Johnson, Allen, Lucas, Skrtel. Those four should be on our bench at the very most after January. It's all down to FSG now

We are down but not out. But if we do not strengthen in January, then even with Stevie and Studge in the side, we're going to run out of legs more often than not

EDIT: I'd forgotten about Sakho :(
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #670: Dec 29, 2013 10:38:00 pm
      Again I'm disappointed by the result.  Again a ref with his non call for pen possibly made us lose a pt and a top competitor gain all 3.  However, the majority of blame today is ourselves.  Our boys simply was out muscled and out worked.  They knew allen is weak so as soon as he touched the ball, someone was close by and challenged.

Also, what was most concerning isnt the fact that we lost (well kinda)... but the fact that we just lost arguably our best defenseman (sakho) to injury.  It is true there are things to his game he can improve on but I dont know about the rest of you but having him back there gives me the most confidence from the bunch we've got.

couple this with our existing injury... folks, I am slightly worried about our Hull game in a few days.  They know how to play our weaknesses and by being so depleted, we are left with squad members that are probably not able to play BR's high intensity game as well.  this means, our dear suarez may get even less service and us more nail biting defensive plays.

We need to strengthen, no doubt about it else we will fade in the 2nd half of the season.   
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #671: Dec 29, 2013 10:43:16 pm
      Home for the holidays and made the trip up to London for my first time seeing us in 2+ years.  Just got back.  Couldn't have picked a worse game.  They were all rubbish, down to a man.  Lucas must be one of the slowest players in the league, got blown by non-stop during the first half.  Don't know if Henderson was knackered but he came back down to earth today and resumed his typical headless chicken routine.  Allen similarly anonymous.  Luiz and Lampard passing around us for fun like we did at Spurs.  Didn't have a good view of the second goal so I don't know if Skrtel was at fault or not.  Looked a bit scrappy. 

Johnson looked like he couldn't be arsed, what the hell has happened to him, he used to be the best RB in England.  Suarez totally isolated, did nothing all game.  I was most excited to see Coutinho live for the first time, F***ing hell even he was totally anonymous.  The only one who can hold his head high was Sterling, he had a right go at their fullbacks each time he got the ball, brilliant to see him live.  Too bad Johnson kept F***ing everything up on the right side, Sterling did his best to create some chemistry but couldn't keep it going. 

By the way, Rodgers just stands there like a bump on a log for 95% of the game.  I have no idea if he is usually like that but you could see how involved and verbal Mourinho is.  In the ground I had a good view of Rodgers and he mostly just stood there the whole time.  When we needed the exact opposite after being down 2-1, someone needed to give them a kick up the arse, tell them to pull their F***ing finger out, FFS, something.  No, he just stands around.

Don't know what to make of all of this.  Better players are needed ASAP, no more "squad" players, F***ing get a new DM and a top class box-to-box midfielder.  F***ing Hazard was outmuscling Lucas.  HAZARD.  Who is about two feet tall. 

just a bad day all around. 
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #672: Dec 29, 2013 10:46:00 pm

Really wish Sterling had put in a performance, but he didn't. I was right wasn't I? We needed a player like Moses to replace Sterling today. Sterling was awful.

Next game, he needs to be benched - and replaced with Moses.

You need to get over the love affair with Moses , he'll be gone asap . As for Sterling he wasn't good today but you seem to be gloating at the fact .
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #673: Dec 29, 2013 10:53:00 pm
      Has the sky fallen in around us or something , ffs lads get a grip . What was the clubs goal this season ? To get a CL spot .
      Are we out of contention for that said spot ? No we're not . Some of ye want a good kick in the nuts .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #674: Dec 29, 2013 10:59:59 pm
      Maureen  has shown himself up to be even more stupid and ludicrous than before by claiming Suarez dived. I hope the stupid British press stop this love affair for the ridiculous one especially for his gaffe post the West Brom match and now today showing how completely anti football this man is.
      DanMann

• 5,780 posts | 891 
      Reply #675: Dec 29, 2013 11:01:04 pm
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2530766/Really-lads-Coutinho-Oscar-Mamadou-Sakho-Samuel-Etoo-swap-shirts-HALF-TIME.html

I find the fact that Coutinho and Sakho swapped shirts with Chelsea players at half time really disrespectful.

We had a shocking 1st half. 2-1 down.. and as they walk off, their focus is on swapping shirts.

They should have been disgusted, and determined to get back in the game.

At the end of the game fine.. but this game was not over!!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #676: Dec 29, 2013 11:02:13 pm
      Home for the holidays and made the trip up to London for my first time seeing us in 2+ years.  Just got back.  Couldn't have picked a worse game.  They were all rubbish, down to a man.  Lucas must be one of the slowest players in the league, got blown by non-stop during the first half.  Don't know if Henderson was knackered but he came back down to earth today and resumed his typical headless chicken routine.  Allen similarly anonymous.  Luiz and Lampard passing around us for fun like we did at Spurs.  Didn't have a good view of the second goal so I don't know if Skrtel was at fault or not.  Looked a bit scrappy. 

Johnson looked like he couldn't be arsed, what the hell has happened to him, he used to be the best RB in England.  Suarez totally isolated, did nothing all game.  I was most excited to see Coutinho live for the first time, F***ing hell even he was totally anonymous.  The only one who can hold his head high was Sterling, he had a right go at their fullbacks each time he got the ball, brilliant to see him live.  Too bad Johnson kept F***ing everything up on the right side, Sterling did his best to create some chemistry but couldn't keep it going. 

By the way, Rodgers just stands there like a bump on a log for 95% of the game.  I have no idea if he is usually like that but you could see how involved and verbal Mourinho is.  In the ground I had a good view of Rodgers and he mostly just stood there the whole time.  When we needed the exact opposite after being down 2-1, someone needed to give them a kick up the arse, tell them to pull their F***ing finger out, FFS, something.  No, he just stands around.

Don't know what to make of all of this.  Better players are needed ASAP, no more "squad" players, F***ing get a new DM and a top class box-to-box midfielder.  F***ing Hazard was outmuscling Lucas.  HAZARD.  Who is about two feet tall. 

just a bad day all around. 
      Can't argue with any of that. I'll add that I thought Sakho did well and Agger too. The rest, either crap or just not very good at all
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #677: Dec 29, 2013 11:03:26 pm
      I think we definately missed both Sturridge and especially Gerrard today. We needed a bit of muscle in that midfield and someone to occupy defenders other than Suarez. Not sure when they're back but we sure need Enrique, Sturridge and Gerrard back ASAP, especially Enrique because we can shift Flanno over to the right, which I believe is his natural position, and give Johnson a rest.
      DanMann

• 5,780 posts | 891 
      Reply #678: Dec 29, 2013 11:05:21 pm
      You need to get over the love affair with Moses , he'll be gone asap . As for Sterling he wasn't good today but you seem to be gloating at the fact .

Love affair? no.

Gloating over Sterling? no.

Just making a point. I was sworn at for suggesting Sterling should be rested. I stand by that, and today's game back's up my point. Sterling has form for this, he plays well.. but too many games in a row, and he goes off the pace. A rest would do him good. Then bring him on as an impact sub with his energy.

As for Moses, I've said it before. I've watched all his Nigeria games over the past few years. He is their top player. I know what he can do. He's not had much of a chance, and he is unjustly receiving flak. He had a bad game against Hull. I think that's all he's done wrong.

People say he's lazy. If you watch him, he's nothing of the sort. See him busting a gut to get forward and score against an City - but sadly, Suarez crossed the ball to Sterling who then missed the open net.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #679: Dec 29, 2013 11:05:52 pm
      Agree with Gerrard on the pitch there would not have been so many attempts at trying to bully us in midfield.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #680: Dec 29, 2013 11:06:52 pm
      Love affair? no.

Just making a point. I was sworn at for suggesting Sterling should be rested. I stand by that, and today's game back's up my point. Sterling has form for this, he plays well.. but too many games in a row, and he goes off the pace. A rest would do him good. Then bring him on as an impact sub with his energy.

As for Moses, I've said it before. I've watched all his Nigeria games over the past few years. He is their top player. I know what he can do. He's not had much of a chance, and he is unjustly receiving flak. He had a bad game against Hull. I think that's all he's done wrong.

People say he's lazy. If you watch him, he's nothing of the sort. See him busting a gut to get forward and score against an City - but sadly, Suarez crossed the ball to Sterling who then missed the open net.

Give it a rest on your one man agenda it's boring.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #681: Dec 29, 2013 11:09:35 pm
      Against City we were unlucky but in truth we didn't any points at all today, as soon as we scored Chelsea had us near enough pinned in our own half. Our midfield was non-existant and it's basically like we are bypassing it and going straight from defence to front line. The front 3 done well but other than that I wasn't impressed with many others, Johnson was crap again, Skrtel was poor marking Eto'o on the goal and Mignolet arguably cost us by letting in another cheap goal, he may have made some good saves but I expect him to keep them out, Hazard he had no chance but Eto'o was a poor strike and another weak attempt at saving it.

We may have been away from home 2 games running against 2 tough teams but I expect better than to blow the lead in both games. We were never going to get 9 points from 9 against them 2 and Spurs but I expect better than 3!

We should have had a penalty for the Eto'o foul on Suarez (which I bet the FA would take action over if it was Suarez that done it) and we hit the bar but our overall performance today was unacceptable IMO. Our lack of quality throughout the whole pitch really showed today and our midfield display was extremely worrying. Smith came on but he didn't impress me, started okay but his first touch near enough the whole time he was on was poor but to be fair to the lad he isn't ready and it just highlights our lack of depth to have to play him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,294 posts | 4941 
      Reply #682: Dec 29, 2013 11:12:04 pm
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2530766/Really-lads-Coutinho-Oscar-Mamadou-Sakho-Samuel-Etoo-swap-shirts-HALF-TIME.html

I find the fact that Coutinho and Sakho swapped shirts with Chelsea players at half time really disrespectful.

We had a shocking 1st half. 2-1 down.. and as they walk off, their focus is on swapping shirts.

They should have been disgusted, and determined to get back in the game.

At the end of the game fine.. but this game was not over!!

For once I agree with you and thought it was ridiculous.

Someone mentioned it to Brendan in the after game press conference and you can bet it won't even happen again judging by his reaction.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #683: Dec 29, 2013 11:14:29 pm
      Love affair? no.

Hardly anything went right today Dan , and even if Moses had been playing he wouldn't have had no impact whatsoever . The fact he's getting benched would tell me Rodgers don't fancy him , maybe he's another Nuri Sahin ?
      DanMann

• 5,780 posts | 891 
      Reply #684: Dec 29, 2013 11:15:05 pm
      Give it a rest on your one man agenda it's boring.

Give it a rest? Sorry, you're right. I shouldn't respond to a post that was directed at me.  :roll:
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #685: Dec 29, 2013 11:20:46 pm
      Bringing smith on was strange. Worst performance since Flanagan's at Blackburn. I am aware he is a kid blah blah but every point is vital.

Beating hull won't be easy. Huddlestone and Livermore are a handful. Whether Rodgers plays Moses for Allen and pushes coutinho centrally or plays 3 at the back with cissokho at lwb remains to be seen. the latter has the advantage of resting sterling and enabling agger to push forward to help Lucas and Henderson.

We are missing Enrique Stevie and Sturridge big time. I hope we buy Alex song or m'villa in January. Arbeloa would be a welcome addition too as our full back situation is dire and I ve given up on Kelly being fully fit this season. If next season we end up having too many cashing in on Johnson wouldn't be the end of the world
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,307 posts | 2851 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #686: Dec 29, 2013 11:24:23 pm
      While we didn't play great I find it hard to take we got nothing from that game, and worse again nothing from the last 2 games

Again there goals were avoidable. Cant believe webb didn't see the E'Too foul on Suarez.

We really need to add in January if we want to compete
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 2836 
      Reply #687: Dec 29, 2013 11:29:16 pm
      Watching the game back, what really pissed me off was how many times we were just giving it to our front three and hoping something happens. Sterling was given the ball at least 3-4 times when he was completely surrounded because our midfield/full backs couldn't step up and make an impact. Against City and Spurs they were confident and looking to find the front three in space so they could create something. None of that today.

Big concerns defensively as well, I'm struggling to see the point of Lucas on the pitch at the moment. He's far too slow to handle tricky players like Oscar and Hazard. He can do the job against the smaller teams but the bigger teams have the players to cause us real problems there. Seriously need to invest in that position.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,365 posts | 1538 
      Reply #688: Dec 30, 2013 12:18:58 am
      It seems the most popular analysis for our defeat today was that we were easily bullied off the ball, and were over tired.     Have any of you ever played when you seem to know that somehow, whatever happens, you are not going to get a fair cram of the whip from the men in black. Doesn't that get you annoyed and agitated. Don't you feel like you are fighting a losing battle, and no matter how hard you try, you can feel the belief and hope draining from your legs. Your usual levels of effort just seem to be hopelessly unachievable because you realise early on, your destiny is no longer in your control ?  Iv'e been there on a few occasions. At the lower levels it's usually because the ref is a homer, or local to the opposition.
       It should be different at the higher echelons of the game, but todays performance just goes to show, as a whole, the referee's silent discriminate plotting is in full swing.
      I didn't think we played too badly, but it was clearly evident that my earlier post on another topic was correct, I did warn, that as Brendan had dared to question the integrity of the appalling ref at City, we would get nothing from any ref for the forthcoming matches. The sarcasm in his assessment of todays ref will not have gone unnoticed either, so expect to get similar treatment in the next couple of matches as well.  And who do the refs answer to ? nobody, just their own organisation who will only act if enough noise is made from all corners of the footballing fraternity. Unfortunately, that is not about to happen, so be prepared for us to suffer.
      We have stepped over the line, we have publicly questioned the cheating bas**rds.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #689: Dec 30, 2013 12:41:55 am
      Have any of you ever played when you seem to know that somehow, whatever happens, you are not going to get a fair cram of the whip from the men in black. Doesn't that get you annoyed and agitated. Don't you feel like you are fighting a losing battle, and no matter how hard you try, you can feel the belief and hope draining from your legs. Your usual levels of effort just seem to be hopelessly unachievable because you realise early on, your destiny is no longer in your control ? 

why does this read like it should be part of a energy drink commercial? or one of those wacky naturalpath ads where a hippie lady reads in a soft hushed tone :D

Quick Reply