Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Liverpool V Aston Villa - January 18th at 17:30

Read 12721 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool V Aston Villa - January 18th at 17:30
      Reply #69: Jan 17, 2014 03:40:23 pm

erm yes, against Chelsea we were poor, against Oldham i suppose we were ok, certainly good enough to get the job done, against Stoke I thought we were again fairly poor but saved by our strikers.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #70: Jan 17, 2014 03:51:59 pm
      My only concern is our defense , I am very much sure that   Villa will  score  ......Luckily the SAS  is back
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #71: Jan 17, 2014 04:06:18 pm
      My only concern is our defense , I am very much sure that   Villa will  score  ......Luckily the SAS  is back

Their service has been poor to Benteke all season. It's about time that changed!  >:D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #72: Jan 17, 2014 04:45:08 pm
      erm yes, against Chelsea we were poor, against Oldham i suppose we were ok, certainly good enough to get the job done, against Stoke I thought we were again fairly poor but saved by our strikers.
      Your right if we don't pull our finger out we are in danger of getting relegated!!
      With our threadbare squad are you surprised they looked a bit tired after the City game.
      Give Oldham some credit they defended very well no, no danger of us ever losing.
      Against Stoke remind me the last time we won there considering the change in formation by Stevie and Lucas.

Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #73: Jan 17, 2014 04:59:50 pm
      They are going to have play fantastic and us sh*t if we are to loose this, now considering that we've been quite poor lately I hope this is the game for us to bounce back into top gear. I think if we score early then this could be a big big score, if not then it could be quite tight but I still see us winning this. I'm going for 4-1 to us.

Been poor?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #74: Jan 17, 2014 06:58:55 pm
      Any "bib theory" line up doing the rounds?

Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Toure, Cissokho, Sterling, Henderson, Gerrard, Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez :- all in green bibs
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #75: Jan 17, 2014 07:04:26 pm
      Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Toure, Cissokho, Sterling, Henderson, Gerrard, Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez :- all in green bibs

We've come a ways from 5 at the back + Lucas ie. 6 defensively minded guys.
      You could argue we have 6 offensively minded guys there - SG and Hendo know where the goal is, but will probably sit behind the other 4.
      Great attacking approach. Feeling confident - 4-1 to the Reds :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #76: Jan 17, 2014 07:10:45 pm

I hope so.

That's the side I posted in this thread and one I'd like to see.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #77: Jan 17, 2014 07:14:43 pm

I think putting five past a Stoke team who have in recent history, battered us, speaks volumes about how far we have come since the appointment of BR. If that's how we perform when we're playing poorly, then I'll be a very satisfied Liverpool supporter. I'm bored of the days we'd dominate and come away with a mere point. About bloody time things start to go our way, and that is a good indicator of having a quality team.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #78: Jan 17, 2014 08:18:47 pm

Well, it may work against Villa but IMO it will be dicing with death. Playing only two out and out midfielders, as I said before Rodgers tried something similar against Southampton last season and we were mauled from the off, they outworked us, bossed us, and ran us ragged in midfield, if Villa pack the midfield with midfielders  :o it could cause us problems.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #79: Jan 17, 2014 08:22:43 pm

Not to be underestimated.
      Old fashioned centre forward.
      Surprised he went to Wigan from the Canaries.

His old boss Lambert has faith in him.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #80: Jan 17, 2014 10:22:53 pm
      Well, it may work against Villa but IMO it will be dicing with death. Playing only two out and out midfielders, as I said before Rodgers tried something similar against Southampton last season and we were mauled from the off, they outworked us, bossed us, and ran us ragged in midfield, if Villa pack the midfield with midfielders  :o it could cause us problems.

I agree mate, I just hope Brendan hasn't let the whole "we will score more goals than you" go to his head, because while it worked against Stoke,  it may not work every time.

Villa are a poor side, but they have the second best defensive record away from home this season (only Everton's is better). 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #81: Jan 17, 2014 10:45:21 pm
      Not to be underestimated.
      Old fashioned centre forward.
      Surprised he went to Wigan from the Canaries.

His old boss Lambert has faith in him.

I agree, he's a menace at set pieces and gives Villa another way to score. Granted he doesn't score many but I'll admit my confidence went from a 9.5 out of 10 to a 9 with them picking him and Bertrand up.

The team Saint listed should have way too much attacking threat for Villa and there's no doubt Brendan is expecting a Villa bus to be parked from kick off. Let's just not hand them a bus lane through the middle though on the break and shoot ourselves in the foot and we should bag 3 points.
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #82: Jan 18, 2014 04:15:10 am
      Watching them play Arsenal last week I dont expect this to be easy. I didnt see the entire game but they were set up well defensively and I think Arsenal got lucky scoring the second goal so quickly. My stream kept skipping so I switched off just before Villa scored but they looked like they could have done damage on the break. They may feel they let a point slip and could up there game. Also with 2 new arrivals they could get a boost. Saying all that we should destroy them and it will be a case of out scoring them :)   
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,974 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #83: Jan 18, 2014 05:18:49 am

This is probably the most likely starting X1,
      Green bibs apart,
      Had Sakho been fully fit I'd have to think about three at the back and allow a extra midfielder ideally Allen, if fit or Alberto,

Mignolet
         Toure.   Skrtle.  Sakho
              Hendo Gerrard
         Sterling Coutinho Allen/Alberto
             Sturridge Suarez

Bench; Ward, Johnson, Lucas, Cissokho, Ibe Allen/Alberto, Aspas

Bit of a gamble i admit but it strengthens midfield and allows SaS to work their magic, backed up by an in form Sterling and Coutinho,

Really can't see Villa inflicting any serious damage although it won't be a push over, if we can fire on all cylinders we could hand out a real f***in hammering, but I'd settle for a comfortable 2-3 nil satisfying win,

Come on Redmen, onwards & upwards another 3pts and a 4th successive victory,

YNWA

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #84: Jan 18, 2014 10:42:21 am
      I agree mate, I just hope Brendan hasn't let the whole "we will score more goals than you" go to his head, because while it worked against Stoke,  it may not work every time.

Villa are a poor side, but they have the second best defensive record away from home this season (only Everton's is better). 

Brendan please note

+1  Saint.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #85: Jan 18, 2014 11:07:03 am
      I hope we don't create a banana skin for ourselves by being over confident and not turning up. Every game from now on must be considered a cup final game, regardless it's aginst the top or bottom of the league team. There's no more easy games, moreso against the bottom half teams as all teams will be fighting to avoid the drop.

Villa will park the bus and we must find an early goal to settle the nerves and to go on to bag a few more.  No reason to underestimate Villa and we play an attacking game and we should be ok. Need to constantly put them under pressure and their defence will crack eventually. Again need to score as many goals as there could be a posssibility that the 4th spot be decided on goal difference.
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2014 11:50:00 am by redkop63 »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #86: Jan 18, 2014 11:43:06 am
      coutinho to go for me and lucas clearly wants allen and hendrson in front of gerrard. johnson also wants dropping sharpish but suppose safe due to lack of options at Fb
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #87: Jan 18, 2014 11:51:24 am

Time to change that, hey.  ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #88: Jan 18, 2014 11:56:58 am
      The home side has not won any of the last five fixtures between these clubs.

Not arsed about the games at Villa, but we need to sort our home stat out.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #89: Jan 18, 2014 01:00:06 pm
      The home side has not won any of the last five fixtures between these clubs.

Not arsed about the games at Villa, but we need to sort our home stat out.
      Well that just means the side that has been at home for each respective game, not just Liverpool (we bet them at Villa park last year as well).

Feel confident about this one, have that feeling that we will take a few off them today. A win is a win obviously but, with the league being this tight, it could end up coming down to goal difference.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #90: Jan 18, 2014 01:00:48 pm
      I'm very confident about this one and think I we play as well as we can a big score is on the cards.
      TerryTibbs
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #91: Jan 18, 2014 01:07:47 pm
      Well that just means the side that has been at home for each respective game, not just Liverpool (we bet them at Villa park last year as well).

Feel confident about this one, have that feeling that we will take a few off them today. A win is a win obviously but, with the league being this tight, it could end up coming down to goal difference.

I too feel confident.

Quick Reply