Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Babel late twice for Holland

Read 2444 times
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 342 posts |
      Babel late twice for Holland
      Oct 16, 2007 12:48:29 pm
      it said in yesterdays "Liverpool echo" that Ryan Babel was twice late for Holland over the weekend the first time he turned up late and got away with it by making a joke. second time he was late for a team meal because he "overslept" and Van Basten left him out the team for the game against Romania were he played the last 12 minutes. if i can find the story online i will post it.

I hope he dosent make a habit of this because i dont think benitez would be as tolerant :-\
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Babel late twice for Holland
      Reply #1: Oct 16, 2007 01:03:06 pm
      Rip Van Babel :D
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #2: Oct 16, 2007 01:05:34 pm
      Quote from: Times Online 14/10/2007
      Ryan Babel, the Liverpool midfielder, was omitted from Holland's team for Saturday's 2008 European Championship qualifying match with Romania because of oversleeping, according to coach Marco van Basten.

Van Basten picked Real Madrid's Arjen Robben in place of Babel as a punishment after the Anfield player twice missed team meetings.

"It was the second time that Babel overslept on a match day," Van Basten said. "That should never happen. That's why I left him out of the team. Robben trained hard and he is fit, so he played instead."

The Holland coach admitted Babel might feel deflated by the snub. "It is very well possible that Babel feels disappointed. It is also not my style to handle these kinds of things this way. But we also expect that players obey rules during a match.

"The first time that he arrived too late, he settled the matter with a joke. The second time he joined us too late for the meal and that was a bit too much. He has to appear on time, just like all the others."

Babel, 20, came into the match in the 78th-minute as substitute for Robben but could not prevent the Dutch from losing 1-0 to Romania in a clash between the two group leaders in Group G. Dorin Goian scored the only goal of the game.

Romania need five points from their last three games to be sure of qualifying for Euro 2008 while Holland are only two points ahead of third-placed Bulgaria.

Verbal for Holland maybe?   kids today ::)

aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Oct 16, 2007 01:12:08 pm
      I hope he oversleeps every game for holland, then he'll be fresh and injury-free for  us.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Oct 16, 2007 01:15:41 pm
      If Rafa doesnt have a word with him too.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #5: Oct 16, 2007 01:19:43 pm
      I hope he oversleeps every game for holland, then he'll be fresh and injury-free for  us.

Precisely my point
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Oct 16, 2007 01:36:40 pm
      Not very professional in my opinion, Rafa won't stand for that, to do it once, ok fair enough......but to do it twice, sorry, a big no no, I am being too harsh :-\
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 342 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 16, 2007 01:54:57 pm
      Not very professional in my opinion, Rafa won't stand for that, to do it once, ok fair enough......but to do it twice, sorry, a big no no, I am being too harsh :-\

no your not being too harsh it is unprofessional, i dont think the above people would be saying the same thing if he was supposed to be in our team for a match and overslept and was late. If he did he would have Rafa Stevie and Carra giving him a bollocking
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Oct 16, 2007 02:03:00 pm
      Imagine seeing Riise or Sami coming straight at you with an angry face, ARGH!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #9: Oct 16, 2007 02:20:36 pm
      Very dangerous, what happens if he overslept and didn't turn up for a cup final and no one knows where the hell he is. He better sort out his sleeping  problem soon ans start acting like a professional.
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #10: Oct 16, 2007 02:59:32 pm
      Surely a major team would have somebody responsable for "checking" that players in a team Hotel are present and accounted for "before" they are late, I mean...how hard is it to door knock or phone 14 or so rooms, and I'm surprised that none of his team mates were looking out for him (with the exception of Robben).
      I realize that it was totally his fault, and for that he needs a dressing down, but for him to be THAT late and dropped for the game which they ultimately lost...
      it just seems to be avoidable to me by having a simple backup
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #11: Oct 16, 2007 03:55:51 pm
      Surely a major team would have somebody responsable for "checking" that players in a team Hotel are present and accounted for "before" they are late, I mean...how hard is it to door knock or phone 14 or so rooms, and I'm surprised that none of his team mates were looking out for him (with the exception of Robben).
      I realize that it was totally his fault, and for that he needs a dressing down, but for him to be THAT late and dropped for the game which they ultimately lost...
      it just seems to be avoidable to me by having a simple backup

Were they sleeping together in the same hotel?

This may offer some clue as to why he has not played for us as much as expected.
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #12: Oct 17, 2007 01:05:42 pm
      As said earlier, its not very professional and it doesnt seem like the correct attitude for an elite athlete.
      Very disappointing Ryan...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #13: Oct 17, 2007 01:08:24 pm
      I am beginning to think that boy thinks he has ALREADY made it in the game... due to his price-tag and intl call-ups... the fact is HE HAS NOT.

I'm all for giving him time, but these are signs of a boy that will need a kick up the culo from Rafa to start smelling some Melwood/Anfield coffee and start to deliver.

...and I hope and think he will this season - just needs a gentle kicking/nudge in the form of Rafa-man-management... watch it happen soon... with results to be witnessed in a stadium near you...
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #14: Oct 17, 2007 05:51:28 pm
      I couldn't give two shits if he got dropped for the Holland games, as long as it doesn't affect his performances for us and he doesn't start missing training for us.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #15: Oct 17, 2007 05:54:15 pm
      You never no this could be a blessing in disguise, perhaps if he didnt sleep in he could been injured in the match, lets just see what happens to robben first (i hope he gets crunched ;D)
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Oct 18, 2007 11:57:31 am
      Bet he was up all night playing on Halo 3 on xbox live.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #17: Oct 18, 2007 07:52:05 pm
      The lad obviously needs to sort his relaxed attitude out..maybe this explains his recent non appearances?We know Rafa won't tolerate this for long..
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #18: Oct 18, 2007 07:58:28 pm
      The lad obviously needs to sort his relaxed attitude out..maybe this explains his recent non appearances?We know Rafa won't tolerate this for long..

Do they have Brown cafés in Liverpool?

If he was anymore relaxed he would be vertical on the subs bench...

I think he will come good though (eventually and hopefully still in an LFC shirt!)... but probably needs a decent stern talking to by Rafa at some point (soon) - still a kid tbh.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #19: Oct 18, 2007 09:34:49 pm
      Babel emind me of me, i am quite relaxed and lazy. But still a great fooballing talent :P
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #20: Oct 19, 2007 09:15:24 pm
      i think people are being a little harsh here . he was late a couple of times , its not the end of the world and it wasnt for liverpool so who cares .
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #21: Oct 19, 2007 09:18:02 pm
      i think people are being a little harsh here . he was late a couple of times , its not the end of the world and it wasnt for liverpool so who cares .

It shows a disregard for everyone else, and for all we know, maybe this has happened at Liverpool.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #22: Oct 20, 2007 11:05:36 pm
      It shows a disregard for everyone else, and for all we know, maybe this has happened at Liverpool.

How would we know if he over sleeps or not at Liverpool... no point gossiping or bad-mouthing about that...

Quick Reply