Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Xabi Alonso: Why I left LFC

Read 13365 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,120 posts | 3370 
      Re: Xabi Alonso: Why I left LFC
      Reply #69: May 26, 2011 02:00:50 am
      I just remembered very vaguely reading about in the papers mate, I just wanted to find it so I knew I wasn't going daft. ;D

But like you say I'm happy enough players recommending other players sometimes it can be successful as it was with Heskey and Murphy for a time or sometimes it can be a disaster, but if it can help to get the best of a certain player and helps the team as a whole i'm all for it.

Lets just hope Mr Alonso doesn't recommend Reina, Gerrard, Agger or Kelly to Real Madrid. Recommend Ngog all he wants though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #70: May 26, 2011 02:42:38 am
      Why can't people accept that Rafa was fallible and not everything that went wrong was down to the lack of funds and owners?.

This was a massive mistake by Rafa, people need to accept it and stop living in this Rafa Wonderland. He was not flawless and this was no small mistake, look what happened after Xabi left. It's there for all who choose to see it.

If Rafa had a 20, 30, 40 million pound transfer budget, do you think Alonso would of been sold to cover a transfer? I don't. That's just me though putting a few dots together. With no money and the need to improve a few areas with actual talent, i think it's a viable option to sell an asset worthy of making a good profit and developing a sum large enough to cover a few other positions.

Until his last season, i remember going in to his thread in the transfer board and people were not as affectionate towards Xabi until after his last season. Truth is he really stepped up when he was confronted on the issue that he could leave. I love the fella because in that season he was just beyond brilliant, but he did not play like that for 5 seasons. It was for just one, and it was his final season which leaves an imprint on people.

The point above is highlighted by the fact no one wanted to buy him for over 10m pounds/euros the season before he left. Juventus went with Christian Poulsen for 6 million instead of Xabi for 12 millions, stating Xabi was 'too slow' and the value in Poulsen's deal 'delights Juventus'. Christian Poulsen chosen instead of Xabi Alonso for speed, ability, and value. Doesn't that speak volumes?

I refuse to crucify a manager for trying to sell someone and bring someone else in under a restrained budget.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #71: May 26, 2011 03:46:11 am
      Xabi is probably the only player to be sold from this Club in the last few years, that I'd take back in a heart beat. Love the man, love his vision. Come back soon Xabi.
      moh21
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #72: May 26, 2011 09:39:22 am
      When we went after Barry he was probably in the form of his life for Villa, so understandable, but Alonso always was and always will be better. Special place in my Heart for Xabi. Much respect!!!
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #73: May 26, 2011 05:37:27 pm
      The way I sees it, Xabi thrives on motivation and will work and perform very well with King Kenny. He's one fella that doesn't talk much but could be emotional in a silent way. What Rafa did has broken the camel's back. I believe he still loves the club very much, I wouldn't be surprise if we care to ask him to come back he may well agreed to do so. We can never tell. His interview could be a signal that says "come and get me".
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #74: May 26, 2011 08:41:43 pm
      I am gonna sound like a dick here BUT:

I have a friend who has known Benitez (due to workin on both his Caldy houses) since he came to the Wirral and gets taken to events by Rafa etc etc and he is quite adament that Rafa has told him that Xabi wanted a move to Arsenal in the Summer of the Barry saga so his hand was being forced.

All to be revealed in a Rafa book in the future apparantly.

One of them is a liar but I don't think my friend is.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8621 
      Reply #75: May 26, 2011 08:48:05 pm

I have a friend who has known Benitez (due to workin on both his Caldy houses) since he came to the Wirral and gets taken to events by Rafa etc etc and he is quite adament that Rafa has told him that Xabi wanted a move to Arsenal in the Summer of the Barry saga so his hand was being forced.

I've heard the same.

But I also like what Crouchy said. If you look at, if Xabi was being courted by arsenal at the time, he'd have been an idiot at the time to turn it down. The exact same goes for when real came sniffing.

Bigger pictue is that I don't blame either Rafa or Xabi, I blame the two fuckers in charge at the time for creating a situation were we had to sell to buy.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #76: May 26, 2011 08:56:45 pm
      Bigger pictue is that I don't blame either Rafa or Xabi, I blame the two fuckers in charge at the time for creating a situation were we had to sell to buy.

All day mate. This type of situation is happening all the time with most clubs. The difference is there are no fools in charge of the clubs making managers and players look like the dickheads.

Fortunately at LFC now, I think any situation of the same ilk will be kept behind closed doors with the new owners and KK running the show.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #77: May 26, 2011 11:38:38 pm
      Xabi Alonso celebrating in the commentators box

Look at him. All suited up. Barney Stinson style.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #78: May 26, 2011 11:52:18 pm
      Don't pick out a sentence from a big post and try and twist it eh?. He was saying that Xabi's confidence took a knock when told by Rafa that he was surplus to requirements. He went from being a happy settled player to an unhappy unsettled player. Have you ever thought that the reason Xabi went on to have the season of his life was because he wanted to say a big, "F**k you, this is what you're going to miss" to Rafa?.
      Thanks HardCore.
      Bang On.
      Thats exactly what I was saying.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #79: May 27, 2011 12:05:48 am
      If Rafa had a 20, 30, 40 million pound transfer budget, do you think Alonso would of been sold to cover a transfer? I don't. That's just me though putting a few dots together. With no money and the need to improve a few areas with actual talent, I think it's a viable option to sell an asset worthy of making a good profit and developing a sum large enough to cover a few other positions.

Until his last season, I remember going in to his thread in the transfer board and people were not as affectionate towards Xabi until after his last season. Truth is he really stepped up when he was confronted on the issue that he could leave. I love the fella because in that season he was just beyond brilliant, but he did not play like that for 5 seasons. It was for just one, and it was his final season which leaves an imprint on people.

The point above is highlighted by the fact no one wanted to buy him for over 10m pounds/euros the season before he left. Juventus went with Christian Poulsen for 6 million instead of Xabi for 12 millions, stating Xabi was 'too slow' and the value in Poulsen's deal 'delights Juventus'. Christian Poulsen chosen instead of Xabi Alonso for speed, ability, and value. Doesn't that speak volumes?

I refuse to crucify a manager for trying to sell someone and bring someone else in under a restrained budget.

Let's just leave this for now. I know how excited the majority of the forum get when Rafa is questioned. It's there in black and white. Accept it and move on. The truth of the matter is that the Rafa lovers will always believe Rafa and that is fair enough, i choose to believe Xabi. This comment on this forum makes me a Rafa hater by default, what if i'm not?. The whole dynamic is altered.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #80: May 27, 2011 12:14:31 am

Doesn't make you sound like a dick at all mate. In all honesty the relationship with Alonso took a dive when Xabi chose to be at the birth of his child. In my opinion it all started going wrong then, Rafa was renowned for distancing himself from players.

On the flip side, Alonso will release an autobiography one day too and he will put his side of the story over as well. One of the great mysteries surrounding our rapid decline towards the end of Rafa's tenure.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #81: May 27, 2011 12:17:44 am
      Doesn't make you sound like a dick at all mate. In all honesty the relationship with Alonso took a dive when Xabi chose to be at the birth of his child. In my opinion it all started going wrong then, Rafa was renowned for distancing himself from players.

On the flip side, Alonso will release an autobiography one day too and he will put his side of the story over as well. One of the great mysteries surrounding our rapid decline towards the end of Rafa's tenure.

F**k, man - you and your alonso man love ;D ;)

The truth, as ever. will be somewhere in between.

Having said that, I'd rather have Rafa than Alonso.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #82: May 27, 2011 12:49:40 am

Let's just leave this for now. I know how excited the majority of the forum get when Rafa is questioned. It's there in black and white. Accept it and move on. The truth of the matter is that the Rafa lovers will always believe Rafa and that is fair enough, I choose to believe Xabi. This comment on this forum makes me a Rafa hater by default, what if I'm not?. The whole dynamic is altered.

I love Rafa. Loved that man here but for some reason, I felt he could have handled the Xabi Alonso thing better.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #83: May 27, 2011 03:36:27 am
      I agree with Huyton that none of this would have happend if it wasnt for the two wankers in charge of the club. Rafa could have handled it better but Xabi was not playing well for two seasons. What was Rafa meant to do? ... for all we know, Xabi could have continued to play poorly and not have had the season that he had if Rafa never threatend to sign Barry.

For the record Xabi is one of my all time favourite Liverpool players and I was truely gutted when he left. More than when Owen, Torres or Mcmanaman done one.

I know this has been brought about because of the interview that Xabi has done but at the end of the day it's all If's and but's. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. He has gone and we have to move on.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #84: May 27, 2011 09:51:20 am
      Gareth Barry?

arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #85: May 27, 2011 11:16:24 am
      Yeah and all that because we wanted that tw*t Barry
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #86: Mar 04, 2014 05:14:22 pm
      Alonso: Time was right to leave Reds
      Xabi Alonso has said he was right to leave Liverpool when he did.

The Spain international, 32, completed a drawn-out transfer from Anfield to Real Madrid in 2009.

He was a huge favourite with Reds fans and has gone on to become a vital cog in Real’s midfield.

"In 2009, I think I made the right decision," Alonso told France Football magazine. “After five years at Liverpool, I needed a change.

"Can you expect anything better than Real Madrid, the greatest and most demanding club?

“It was the right moment to seize the opportunity.

"Everyday life in Madrid is tougher than in any other team. What the club demands is win, win and win again, and play well too.

"Liverpool have five European trophies, but it is not the same. There the daily life is more relaxed and not so heavy. At Real, pressure and demand are constant.

"But I wanted to see if I could match such a challenge."

Alonso recently signed a new contract with Madrid that will keep him at the Bernabeu until June 2016. He refused to rule out a move to the USA or his first club, Real Sociedad, in the future.

"Moving to the USA? I don't reject that in the future," said Alonso.

"We will see how I feel in two years' time. I don't discount anything - Europe, Real Sociedad or staying longer at Real Madrid if I notice that I still have the physical abilities."

Echo

Quick Reply