Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Xabi Alonso: Why I left LFC

Read 13393 times
      RedLFCBlood
      May 25, 2011 09:20:31 am

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/xabi-alonso-why-i-left-lfc

654 days since his emotional leaving of Liverpool - and six years on from the glory of Istanbul, Xabi Alonso has a story to tell.

After arriving into a private room deep inside the impressive Real Madrid training complex at Valdebebas, Alonso answered the question of his own press officer when we were asked if 20 minutes would be long enough to conduct this interview.

"No, they can have as long as they need," said the Spaniard, before settling down to open his heart about the triumphs and the torment of his Anfield career in his most in-depth interview - soon to be screened in full on LFC TV - since swapping Merseyside for Madrid.

Alonso's Liverpool story is one of Champions League and FA Cup success, ridiculous long-range goals, defence splitting passes and general midfield mastery.

But the way it all came to an end left something of a bad taste in the mouth.

Fans all over the world were left devastated when the deal to take Alonso to Madrid - a deal which had been on the cards for 12 months after then manager Rafael Benitez confirmed his interest in pursuing the signing of Gareth Barry in the transfer market - finally went through in the summer of 2009.

Suddenly the club's midfield playmaker had gone; the man who made it all happen in the centre of the field and the man who had driven Liverpool to within touching distance of the league title with a record number of points.

Surely he would want to stay and help the Reds take that next, big, elusive step? We had gone so close - why did he have to end his Liverpool love affair now?

The truth can be found by rewinding 12 months when the manager dropped an end of season bombshell on his Spanish star.

"At the end of that season, speaking to Rafa, he told me the situation and that he wanted to sign other players and I could be one of the replacements," he explained. "If an offer would have come, probably I would have been sold. That's when I told myself that the situation had changed - from being a very important player to being one of those who can be sold to get funds to sign other players. I accepted it because I am a professional but you have to realise what your situation is. At the end nothing happened because there was no agreement and we started my last season in Liverpool, but knowing what had happened.

"I had to take it from their point of view. We knew what had happened and once we knew I was going to stay, if the manager was going to pick me then I was going to play as well as possible. There were no personal problems, it was a professional relationship.

"I didn't feel I had a point to prove. I knew what I was capable of giving to the team and what I had given for the four years - and then the last one. In the last one the team was really good, we were winning so many games, beating the top teams home and away and that made a big difference. Because of the silly draws we got at home at the beginning of the season, that's probably why we didn't win the Premier League. We felt we had a very good team, we were very competitive and it was a disappointment not to win the league.

"I didn't know what would happen but at the end of the season, knowing what had happened, I felt if another option was to come I needed to take another step in my career. It was very difficult to take that decision, but it was probably for the best for me because I was not comfortable with that situation and if I had stayed another season it would have been uncomfortable for me.

"I was really happy with the team and my teammates and felt that we could do great things. I was happy on that side but within a club you have to see the big picture and another season would have been too much for me.

"As soon as the season finished I talked to the manager. I knew that maybe Madrid were coming and I said if the terms were good then I wanted to leave."

Alonso may now wear the white of Real Madrid but throughout our chat it's clear the red of Liverpool still has an extra special place in his heart.

Before the camera started rolling on our interview, he was keen to hear about the latest news from Anfield and Melwood, about what the atmosphere is like at the training ground and about the general feeling around the club at the end of another season.

His last visit to Anfield was for a game in December during the closing weeks of Roy Hodgson's reign and he remarked of getting a strong sense that all was not well. He was clearly pleased when reassured the club today is vastly different to how it was just a few short months ago.

While talking through the ups and downs of his five years on Merseyside it's clear one date and one night in particular still brings out a bigger smile than any other.

May 25, 2005. Istanbul. The Champions League final. It may have been six years ago today but for Xabi, and most probably for everyone else glued to their TV sets or inside the Ataturk Stadium on that famous night, the memories come flooding back as though it all happened yesterday.

"To lift that trophy in the first season was a dream come true," he recalls. "We were lucky to live so many big nights on the way to Istanbul, like Olympiacos, Chelsea, Juventus - those were fantastic nights and it was the perfect start for many of us.

"It was a crazy night because we were so enthusiastic before the game but the first half was really tough and really difficult to take, but the team spirit was high and we kept believing, even when it was mission impossible. But we made it and in six minutes scored three goals against a top team like Milan with so much experience. It was a miracle. After scoring the third goal you had the feeling our name was written on the trophy.

"Look at the pictures and my face tells everything before taking that penalty. The responsibility, the tense look. It was more than nerves, it was about the responsibility. It was one of the biggest moments of my career. I missed it but got the reward and it was probably the quickest five metres I have ever run.

"It was unbelievable afterwards. After so many years, bringing Liverpool back to where they deserved to be - you could see the faces and the happiness of the people around Liverpool and wherever we went. Sharing those moments with them was fantastic and totally unforgettable.

"It is a final in the memory of all football supporters. They have it in their mind, it was the greatest comeback ever, so wherever I go they have that memory."

Stay tuned to Liverpoolfc.tv and LFC TV for much more from our chat with Xabi Alonso, including:

* How the fans made it difficult for him to leave

* Why he misses Stevie G and Carra

* His respect for 'King Kenny'

* Keeping in touch with fans on Twitter

* His new life in Madrid

* His love for Liverpool FC

* The future - and whether he may ever return

It's a world exclusive interview with one of our modern day greats - and it's coming soon to LFC TV.

Keep it clean and tidy lads.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Xabi Alonso: Why I left LFC
      Reply #1: May 25, 2011 09:28:00 am
      The biggy....
      * The future - and whether he may ever return

Nothing but respect for the man and totally understand why he felt the time was right to move. Rafa, for all his positives, dropped a clanger with Xabi.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #2: May 25, 2011 09:30:04 am
      Thanks for the link RedLFCBlood.

More to follow then...Alonso back one day? :P...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3: May 25, 2011 09:33:17 am
       I actually didn't blame the manager for wanting to move him on before his last season as his performance level had dropped off alarmingly. Hindsight being a wonderful thing of course, we now know that he produced his best season in a Liverpool shirt in his last one, and was a wonderful player who we have never replaced.

Even those who champion some of our current midfielders would surely accept that our player of the year this season is not in the same stratosphere as Alonso, and the folly of pursuing Gareth Barry and the way in which Alonso was alienated proved to be a cataclysmic error of judgement by the manager at the time.

Like I say, I would have been wrong too as I could totally see the sense in it back then, but on such decisions successful eras are either embarked upon or tossed away. 
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #4: May 25, 2011 09:37:49 am
      geat player and a great professional. rafa made a mistake, he probably knows it now, but we could do with xabi now :)
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #5: May 25, 2011 09:38:31 am
      Rafa had to wheel and deal in difficult circumstances thanks to the parasites running the club. I'm still gutted Xabi's gone.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #6: May 25, 2011 09:39:39 am
      Think Rafa made a boo-boo with this one,when u look at the two players now there is no comparision,Xabi is streets ahead of barry.
      Top lad and a great footballer,Pity we will never see him back here again.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #7: May 25, 2011 09:41:03 am
      To this day I still wonder what Rafa seen in Gareth Barry, we had one of the best midfielders in the world on our hands...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #8: May 25, 2011 09:44:03 am
      Think Rafa made a boo-boo with this one,when u look at the two players now there is no comparision,Xabi is streets ahead of barry.
      Top lad and a great footballer,Pity we will never see him back here again.

If you look at the timeline though, the first time we went in for Barry, we weren't looking to sell Alonso.  This just shows that Rafa was forced too rob Peter to pay Paul.  Alonso was an asset, who could be sold for a decent whack and use the funds to deepen the squad, whilst, hopefully, not hugely decreasing the starting XI's strength.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: May 25, 2011 09:44:44 am
      If I remember rightly it was Steven Gerrard that recommended Gareth Barry as a signing to Rafa, can remember reading about it at the time.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10: May 25, 2011 09:50:33 am
      If I remember rightly it was Steven Gerrard that recommended Gareth Barry as a signing to Rafa, can remember reading about it at the time.

If not Gerrard it'll have been Rick Parry I should think.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: May 25, 2011 09:51:00 am
      So... Big summer coming up...
      Alonso feeling nostalgic...

Yeah I wish.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #12: May 25, 2011 09:51:41 am
      He was our great general on the field, orchestrated many sublime moves and symphonized out midfield area very gracefully. He was the best ever midfielder in PL during his time at Anfield. His range of passes, his ability to change the tempo of the game and his solid approach in securing the central pitch were clearly missed by the fans. Anfield faithfuls knew that, but replacing one of the great minds of Anfield was a real headache.

His departure was greeted with agony and despair from fans across the world. Sadness and tears were the only words the fans knew. As he finally exited the door, he left a huge gap to be filled. It was not his fault, it was not Rafa's fault. Blame H&G!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: May 25, 2011 09:55:51 am

If not Gerrard it'll have been Rick Parry I should think.

It was definitely Gerrard was born from the midfield partnership they had for the national team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: May 25, 2011 09:59:59 am
      Not sure we'll ever replace Xabi.
      Brought a class and calmness to our game that nobody else could.
      Even seemed to communicate with the refs in a way our other players couldn't.
      Extremely clever player whether it was seeing the pass before he received the ball or knowing to shield the ball when he would be closed down too quickly.
      Magic player, massive loss.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #15: May 25, 2011 10:06:04 am
      To this day I still wonder what Rafa seen in Gareth Barry, we had one of the best midfielders in the world on our hands...

This....!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: May 25, 2011 10:06:56 am
      I think that is exactly right,Stevie and Barry were mates and I think Stevie was instrumental in trying to get Barry to Anfield.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #17: May 25, 2011 10:09:22 am
       While Gerrard was trying to sign Barry and selling Alonso, Parry was scheming to bring in Robbie Keane behind Rafa's back as well. F***ing disgrace it is.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #18: May 25, 2011 10:11:40 am
      Oh Xabi,
      you came and you gave without taking,
      but he sent you away
      Oh Xabi.

Enough of that, Top Honourable Bloke.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #19: May 25, 2011 10:24:07 am
      It was definitely Gerrard was born from the midfield partnership they had for the national team.

They are good buddies I heard. Friendship started when they both were in the Euro 2000 squad for England and both of them were the only 20 year old there, I think.

Xabi Alonso still remains as one of my favourite midfield playmakers to this day. That touch, vision, spark of creativity, calm under pressure, long range shooting and passing makes him a rare footballing breed. You can't learn those but IMO, they come naturally.

I was devastated when we tried to sell him after the 2007/2008 season but even though he remained for the 2008/2009 season, his departure was imminent. I saw him in Singapore and some many of us kept singing his name for him to stay but he already made the decision to go.

I can understand why he left but can't understand what Gareth Barry has that he doesn't. Rafa probably realised the mistake and even tried to persuade Xabi to stay after that 2nd place finish.

Top, honourable man, Xabi is. Said nothing bad of the club after he left and still turns up for our matches. Have total respect for him and I don't think he's a player we will be able to replace right now.

A-L-O-N-S-O, It's Alonso,
      Xabi Xabi Alonso,

He came from Sociedad to play in our midfield,
      His passing and his shooting are sublime,
      If we had to choose between him and Fat Frank,
      We would always choose Xabi eveytime....

We played Luton Town in the FA Cup,
      Xabi and the keeper had a race,
      Xabi had a shot, from 70 yards,
      You should have seen the look on Gerrard's face.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #20: May 25, 2011 10:40:43 am
      Some players become Judas when they leave us. But not this one.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #21: May 25, 2011 11:26:41 am
      Would love Xabi to come back, what a player
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #22: May 25, 2011 11:30:12 am
      I'd give my right bollock to have him back.

Quick Reply