Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Pre-Match: Southampton V Liverpool - March 1st 2014 (5:30PM)

Read 18725 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Southampton Vs Liverpool; 1st March 2014; 17;30
      Reply #23: Feb 24, 2014 08:07:17 pm
      so Sterling played a ball to Sturridge as good as anything even Stevie would play and Hendo scored twice but your not convinced.boy your a hard task master.

It's called a squad for a reason, we should use it. Henderson scored two goals and made some very exciting runs forward but the gaps he left in doing so where exploited and lead to many of the attacks by Swansea. That was at home, in front of a friendly crowd against a team whose main attacking force is currently injured. This will be in front of a hostile crowd on a relatively unfamiliar pitch and the plain fact of the matter is if we leave holes for Southampton to counter attack us through and they will punish us, especially given our defensive frailties. Dropping Henderson still allows you to attack with two of the three players from midfield, Sterling and Coutinho, but by having that extra man in midfield you leave us less exposed to counter attack. Anyway, it's a moot point. We all know it will be an unchanged team.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24: Feb 24, 2014 09:21:22 pm
      It's called a squad for a reason, we should use it. Henderson scored two goals and made some very exciting runs forward but the gaps he left in doing so where exploited and lead to many of the attacks by Swansea. That was at home, in front of a friendly crowd against a team whose main attacking force is currently injured. This will be in front of a hostile crowd on a relatively unfamiliar pitch and the plain fact of the matter is if we leave holes for Southampton to counter attack us through and they will punish us, especially given our defensive frailties. Dropping Henderson still allows you to attack with two of the three players from midfield, Sterling and Coutinho, but by having that extra man in midfield you leave us less exposed to counter attack. Anyway, it's a moot point. We all know it will be an unchanged team.

I would drop Hendo back with Gerrard then and tell him to be more defensive minded.

I like Joe Allen, that being said Hendo (when told to do so) can be as good a defender as Allen so why remove him?

Don't know why Allen is getting thought of a defensive player, he is not; he is a high percentage passer who would be a deep play maker.

If we are so worried about the mid defense why  not play all 3?

As others have mentioned Sterling can come off the bench if more fire power is needed but that front 3 should be able to do just fine against the Saints.

Hendo    Gerrard    Allen                                               

Coutinho                         

SAS

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Feb 24, 2014 09:22:56 pm
      We'll destroy this lot.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #26: Feb 24, 2014 09:26:40 pm
      Using Henderson's athletic ability is getting the best out of him the best he has played so far.Box to box players are as rare as hen's teeth. This kid is putting something into his game you cant buy and that's confidence and he is getting better with each game. I think Brendan is letting them loose as much as he can to see where it get's us and its getting us pretty far. This is not the time to start being conservative I fully expect us to go to Southampton and take the game by the scruff of the neck and win comfortably.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #27: Feb 24, 2014 09:27:55 pm

At last a fellow realist.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #28: Feb 24, 2014 09:29:25 pm
      .  Toure may return if the rumours about Rodgers' annoyance with Agger are true and him and Skrtel will need all the help they can get 

What are these rumours about Rodgers annoyance with Agger?

I've had my eye on this fixture for a while now knowing it will be an acid test. They gave us a lesson in pressing at Anfield earlier this season, and absolutely ran riot over our two man midfield last season at their place, we were awful. I do wonder if their manager has got a number on Rodgers and his system. Coincided with the fact our defending seems to be getting worse by the week, I think we're going to be in for a tough afternoon on the south coast.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #29: Feb 24, 2014 09:32:22 pm
      just take the tablets or start drinking at 1pm and you'll be fine....next patient please.

:D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #30: Feb 24, 2014 09:37:46 pm
      Wanyama, Lallana and Schneiderlin vs Stevie, Coutinhoo and Hendo. Decent midfield battle there, if we match them in the middle you back SAS to bag us the game.

Hoping and expecting to see a tighter game and to see a game of football rather than the basketball style of our last few games. Feeling that set plays will feature heavily too.

Hope to see some decent defending from us this time around.

3-1 away win!!!!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #31: Feb 24, 2014 11:31:00 pm
      Mig Johnson Skertl Agger Flanagan

Gerrard

Allen               Henderson

Sterling                       Suarez
                      Sturridge

Get Allen and Henderson working hard in the middle with Gerrard close behind them.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #32: Feb 25, 2014 12:45:49 am
      The pessimist in me says this is going to be super tough but that's just because of the last few years of sub par LFC finishes......there's something different about this team and I think it may be time to start expecting us to win every single match.

4-1 LFC, Suarez goes for 2, Sterling 1 and Sturridge 1
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33: Feb 25, 2014 12:55:11 am
      The pessimist in me says this is going to be super tough

I've got that feeling, think it's because they were the ones to beat us at Anfield this season and we seem to really struggle against them since their return to the Premiership. We owe them a heavy defeat I know that! Knock them down a peg or two!
      Jhall05LFC
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #34: Feb 25, 2014 01:41:49 am
      our new motto should be "come and have a go if you think you can score enough" our defense can only improve apart from anything we have had some terrible clangers so wouldn't be surprised if its 6-3 to us but I would take a 1-0 any day of the week

Well said... And although I believe this 'we will just out score you' way of winning at the moment is dangerous (especially coming into some tough fixtures) our away form will prove absolutely vital for securing at least 4th spot so I would happily take any score line as long as it's 3 points. Defence needs to improve but the inconsistency in our CB pairing may be slightly to blame although not on it's own.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #35: Feb 25, 2014 03:11:32 am
      Difference between this season and last season is that we're more than prepared to change our style of play, whereas last year it was always about possession. We know they'll press us very high up the field, meaning we won't be able to play a patient passing game as we'll be dominated. Key to winning this game is getting the ball forward quickly and playing very direct, more so than in any other fixture. That's why I'd like Sterling to start as an outlet instead of Coutinho with Allen coming into the middle as mentioned.

Have to admit though I'm not confident about this one. In fact I think we'll lose. If we win this one we have a much more serious shot of the title than I've ever given us.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #36: Feb 25, 2014 03:40:05 am
      Nice to see some players retuning from injury. We could have quite a strong bench,  minus the match fitness. I couldn't find space for Skrtel in my lineup.

Mignolet

Agger Sakho
           Johnson             Flanagan

Hendo      Allen      Gerrard

Suarez                    Sterling
                          Sturridge

Subs: Jones, Toure,  Cissokho,  Lucas, Coutinho,  Aspas
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #37: Feb 25, 2014 04:46:33 am
      Not sure whom to start, but inclined towards Kolo to deal with their front man, Lambert vs our CBs is my biggest worry. I'm hoping BR lets Stevie mark Lambert for free kicks and corners. Jay Rodriguez and Lallana will complete a very potent front-3. Jack Cork, Steven Davis and Morgan Schneiderlin against Coutinho, Henderson and Gerrard, I'm fairly confident on this one except that the former trio edge ahead in pace.

Dunno why Clyne isn't starting as I feel he offers more than Chambers in attack. Lovren will be back with Fonte, making their defence stronger as well. A very tough unit to break down, I hope SaSaS and Coutinho are up for it, because this is another game we totally rely on our attack to grab 3 points
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Feb 25, 2014 07:33:00 am
      Mignolet
      Flanagan
      Skrtel
      Toure
      Cissokho
      Allen
      Gerrard
      Henderson
      Coutinho
      Sturridge
      Suarez.

4-2-2-2 formation.

Agger deserves the bench, and (before I get bombarded with anti-Johnson hysteria again) Aly in for Glen because he is a bit better in controlling his flank defensively. However with a 4 man midfield Glen retaining his spot is ok with extra cover available for him and he will add width upfield.

Nervous for this but if we defend even remotely close to our best we'll win comfortably. They like a high line and Coutinho > Sturridge will pick them off all day. Sterling off the bench will have a big impact too.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #39: Feb 25, 2014 08:16:14 am
      Southampton seem to have run out of a bit of steam hopefully there high tempo pressing game has taken its toil on their legs. Looking at their home record it's not
      much better than away from home with just 5 wins out of 13.
      If are not too gung-ho with our keegan esque charges up the field and try and gain some control in midfield which is something that has been sorely missing this missing, we can win this one with Sturridge and Suarez up front who are just unplayable at the moment.
      Suarez to break his goal drought.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,178 posts | 527 
      Reply #40: Feb 25, 2014 10:41:58 am
      A few weeks ago I would not be looking forward to this one. They were playing some good football, but as others have said, they seem to be cooling a bit.

Set pieces are where we will have to be careful, and hopefully Martin will keep his hands to himself if he plays.

Its going to be tight, but think we will nick this one, and Louis ends his goal drought with the winner.

C'mon the Redmen.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41: Feb 25, 2014 11:53:01 am
                                   Mignolet

Henderson    Skrtel       Gerrard     Johnson

Allen     
                       Teixeira             Coutinho

Suarez             Sturridge           Sterling

;)
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #42: Feb 25, 2014 12:09:08 pm
      Moses, Aspas and 4 centre halfves last time round against these men.

I'd still put my money on a goal fest though. Maybe this one will be entertaining instead of the old 4-3 sh*te. I'll have 8-7.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #43: Feb 25, 2014 12:13:49 pm

I'd still put my money on a goal fest though. Maybe this one will be entertaining instead of the old 4-3 sh*te. I'll have 8-7.

wu, hu    :f_whistle: :clap: :clap: :clap: :action-smiley-025:

That will be great!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #44: Feb 25, 2014 01:19:50 pm

I'd rather have 7-8. Don't like loosing.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #45: Feb 25, 2014 01:20:41 pm

wu, hu    :f_whistle: :clap: :clap: :clap: :action-smiley-025:

That will be great!
      if you're a spurs fan.

Quick Reply