Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool and Suarez contract clause

Read 9394 times
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Liverpool and Suarez contract clause
      Mar 02, 2014 07:41:08 pm
      Liverpool's John W Henry admits Luis Suárez did have £40m clause.

It's in the Liverpool echo on the online app.

my view is that if a player can choose to not honour a contract then a club can choose to not honour a players contract, ultimitly the club has the power. Love the fact they (the owners) have done this, it's a statement saying we are no push overs, we didn't want to sell Torres but was forced to, so now where going to stand up and make a statement. Liverpool has the power not the players. Best thing this board has done.
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2014 08:13:01 pm by OConnor »
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Re: Liverpool and Suarez contract clause
      Reply #1: Mar 02, 2014 07:42:52 pm
      The guardian

The Liverpool owner John Henry has reportedly admitted that Luis Suárez did have a £40m buyout clause but that the club simply refused to sell the player when Arsenal made their £40m plus one pound offer last summer.

At the time Liverpool were adamant that the Gunners' bid would not trigger the release of their striker, but Henry, speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, appears to have suggested that the Reds simply took a hard line because "apparently these contracts don't seem to hold".

"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry is reported to have said. "He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals, offered £40m plus £1. What we've found … is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football.

"It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving. We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to.

"Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position that we're just not selling.

"It's been great for Luis, it's been great for us. We have three gentlemen up front Suárez, [Raheem] Sterling, and [Daniel]Sturridge, [they] are young, I think those three could be together for a long time."
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2: Mar 02, 2014 08:02:25 pm
      I've never been John Henrys biggest fan but nice F***ing job.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #3: Mar 02, 2014 08:21:40 pm
      I'd take that article with a pinch of salt. The contract was looked over by an independent arbitrary panel who concluded that it wasn't a "buy out" but rather an obligation to consider offers. It's probably just another example of the good old British press twisting statements to cause a drama.
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 02, 2014 08:25:34 pm
      Not like the Liverpool echo to twist anything, especially when it concerns the city of Liverpool.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #5: Mar 02, 2014 09:31:32 pm
      Not like the Liverpool echo to twist anything, especially when it concerns the city of Liverpool.

Or the number of copies they sell .
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #6: Mar 02, 2014 09:32:25 pm
      All misinterpreted apparently. Making a point about how the players have the power now and not the clubs or whatever.

Remember that Luis took it to the PFA (Christ, he really was a tw*t wasn't he?) and Gordon Taylor looked into it and said the buyout clause wasn't valid?

Didn't it turn out that the £40 million bid only allowed them to talk when the fact that Arsenal knew about the clause suggested that they already had talked and were therefore wasting a quid?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7: Mar 02, 2014 09:52:56 pm
      I just wish they would all shut the F**k up. The last thing we need at this stage of the season is anything to disrupt the team or any of the players. Talk about baseball or basketball and keep your mouths shut about football ...

Once we have won the league is the time for bragging and boasting about how it was your genius that won it for us..... certainly wasn't your F***ing money that got us to this position anyway.

Don't think any footballer likes being taken for a fool and I can't see Suarez being any different ... even if things seem to have worked out well in the end.

I don't honestly believe there was a selling clause in the contract, but why bring it up now just when things are going really well for us.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Mar 02, 2014 09:57:02 pm
      I just wish they would all shut the F**k up. The last thing we need at this stage of the season is anything to disrupt the team or any of the players. Talk about baseball or basketball and keep your mouths shut about football ...

Once we have won the league is the time for bragging and boasting about how it was your genius that won it for us..... certainly wasn't your F***ing money that got us to this position anyway.

Don't think any footballer likes being taken for a fool and I can't see Suarez being any different ... even if things seem to have worked out well in the end.

I don't honestly believe there was a selling clause in the contract, but why bring it up now just when things are going really well for us.

Exactly, Luis was not happy for a reason at the time. He genuinely felt it was a buy out clause he had agreed to in his previous contract. No point picking at old wounds, even for a cheap laugh at Arsenal.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #9: Mar 02, 2014 09:57:29 pm
      I just wish they would all shut the f**k up. The last thing we need at this stage of the season is anything to disrupt the team or any of the players. Talk about baseball or basketball and keep your mouths shut about football ...

Once we have won the league is the time for bragging and boasting about how it was your genius that won it for us..... certainly wasn't your f**king money that got us to this position anyway.

This. Things are going well so belt up and don't put anything out there to undermine us.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #10: Mar 02, 2014 10:18:15 pm

Words are a dangerous thing mate and can lose title bids , they need to take advice before opening the gob.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #11: Mar 02, 2014 11:08:15 pm
      A contract is a legally binding document. It's not meaningless.

Players just can't break it when they like. Without a club willing to buy, a club willing to sell, and a player wanting to go, transfers can't happen.

Luis signed a massive contract last year. That entitles the club to retain him for the length of it, until they decide otherwise. That applies equally regardless where we finish in the table.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #12: Mar 03, 2014 12:08:21 am
      I just wish they would all shut the f**k up. The last thing we need at this stage of the season is anything to disrupt the team or any of the players. Talk about baseball or basketball and keep your mouths shut about football ...

Once we have won the league is the time for bragging and boasting about how it was your genius that won it for us..... certainly wasn't your f**king money that got us to this position anyway.

Exactly mate.

Ridicolous timing.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #13: Mar 03, 2014 01:24:14 am
      We are doing really well.  It has been a long long time since we are dreaming about winning the title.  At the start of the season it was really unimaginable, but we are and have a fair chance.  It has been a tremendous effort from the squad, the manager, the back room staff.  Suarez has scored 24 goals and 10 assists.  He is our best player and is integral to our position this season.   The owners want to get some credit for this good position.  I don't see any harm in that now that a new contract has been negotiated and Suarez is happy here.   Everyone want to jump on John Henry's back at every given opportunity.  The truth is they did an excellent job in the summer to keep hold of one of the best players in the world.   
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #14: Mar 03, 2014 02:08:40 am
      All I know is that JH has proved what an intelligent businessman he is, him, Suarez and  BR will lead us to glory soon
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #15: Mar 03, 2014 02:28:42 am
      All I know is that JH has proved what an intelligent businessman he is, him, Suarez and  BR will lead us to glory soon

I think he is intelligent with a business sense, when it comes to running a football club I think he kind of took it for granted. Football is the complete opposite of baseball when it comes to finances and business. And he is too damn cheap to own a top club. With the Red Sox you have a yearly bill you pay. You only have contracts for players. Football you add in transfers and that alters the finances completely because you do not have a set in stone money you will owe at the end of the year. You kind of control what you will have to pay. He is not a sh*t owner but you can see he is going through growing pains and realizing the costly business that this is.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16: Mar 03, 2014 10:21:22 am
      Honestly, why the fvck is this s.hit being aired now?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #17: Mar 03, 2014 10:34:26 am
      What an idiot. Hope this blows over before the Manchester United game,  but no doubt that a certain Mourinho will mention it 5 seconds before kick off.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #18: Mar 03, 2014 11:10:33 am
      he was speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. he was obviously going to discuss liverpool. and it was inevitably going to be picked up by most media outlets because it's a big story. it's not like he gave an interview then pushed it out there...
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #19: Mar 03, 2014 11:27:24 am
      Big John  hints at long term deals to keep Suarez Sturridge and Sterling together , is all I took from the piece .

YNWA

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20: Mar 03, 2014 12:04:39 pm

I agree s@int, what is the actual point ?
      Is it just a case where JWH was simply explaining certain goings on at a English football club to a uneducated audience, and it's the scumbag media stirring things up in a attempt to derail our season ?

I wouldn't put anything past our dodgy media, strange how all of a sudden this crops up, very strange indeed !

YNWA

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #21: Mar 03, 2014 12:29:15 pm
      I agree s@int, what is the actual point ?
      Is it just a case where JWH was simply explaining certain goings on at a English football club to a uneducated audience, and it's the scumbag media stirring things up in a attempt to derail our season ?

I wouldn't put anything past our dodgy media, strange how all of a sudden this crops up, very strange indeed !

YNWA

That's exactly what it is mate.  JW was a guest on a chat show type thingy in the states about sports ownership, he was explaining the differences in contracts/player acquisitions and used Luis & Torres as examples. 

Don't think any of it was said to deliberately wind up the arse or their fans but the fact that it has is just brilliant.  At a time when they're about to enter their toughest run of fixtures of the season and we've just gone above them in the league.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #22: Mar 03, 2014 12:34:58 pm
      A contract is a legally binding document. It's not meaningless.

Players just can't break it when they like. Without a club willing to buy, a club willing to sell, and a player wanting to go, transfers can't happen.

Luis signed a massive contract last year. That entitles the club to retain him for the length of it, until they decide otherwise. That applies equally regardless where we finish in the table.

doesn't have to be a document at all .
      This is just pointless the lad is top prem scorer he is obviously very happy end of story.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #23: Mar 03, 2014 12:55:18 pm
      That's exactly what it is mate.  JW was a guest on a chat show type thingy in the states about sports ownership, he was explaining the differences in contracts/player acquisitions and used Luis & Torres as examples. 

Don't think any of it was said to deliberately wind up the arse or their fans but the fact that it has is just brilliant.  At a time when they're about to enter their toughest run of fixtures of the season and we've just gone above them in the league.

To be honest I wouldn't care if it just wound the Arsenal up, but my worry is that Suarez may not take too kindly to being lied to. The other thing is that Suarez could probably declare his new contract null and void if he decides he still wants to leave in the summer, as it was signed under false pretenses.

I just don't understand why anyone with Liverpool's interests at heart,  would want to stir things up now, just as things are going our way.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: Mar 03, 2014 01:08:59 pm
      I just don't understand why anyone with Liverpool's interests at heart,  would want to stir things up now, just as things are going our way.
      Just this.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #25: Mar 03, 2014 01:59:00 pm
      We have 2 weeks off and then a derby against Utd.  I am sure all the attention will be taken away from that.  Suarez is happy here.  And I don't think Suarez was lied too at all.  It went to the panel.    At the end of the day the bid of 40m and £1 is exactly the reason why in our league the buy out clauses don't hold much water.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26: Mar 03, 2014 02:16:40 pm
      To be honest I wouldn't care if it just wound the Arsenal up, but my worry is that Suarez may not take too kindly to being lied to. The other thing is that Suarez could probably declare his new contract null and void if he decides he still wants to leave in the summer, as it was signed under false pretenses.

But he wasn't lied to Saint.  The PFA checked the contract and confirmed it wasn't a "release clause", also questions could be raised of Arsenal as to how they "knew" what to offer to trigger any clause.

I'm sure if Luis wasn't happy being forced to stay he wouldn't have signed his new contract so he's hardly going to kick up a fuss now.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #27: Mar 03, 2014 02:33:20 pm
      But he wasn't lied to Saint.  The PFA checked the contract and confirmed it wasn't a "release clause", also questions could be raised of Arsenal as to how they "knew" what to offer to trigger any clause.

I'm sure if Luis wasn't happy being forced to stay he wouldn't have signed his new contract so he's hardly going to kick up a fuss now.

I don't agree mate, John Henry is now saying that Suarez did have a buy out clause :-  "And he had a buy-out clause - I don't know what degree I should go into this - but he had a buy-out clause of £40m. So Arsenal, one of our prime rivals this year, they offered £40m and one pound for him and triggered his buy-out clause.

I honestly can't see the benefit, all we have done is shown that we can't be trusted. That is really going to be a big help when we try to sign players or get people to sign new contracts.

I'm sure if Luis wasn't happy being forced to stay he wouldn't have signed his new contract
      Probably like most of us he didn't expect us to qualify for Europe and thought that it was easier to wait 12 months than take Liverpool to court.... especially in a World cup year!

But my main point is why bring it all back up now when we are doing well, with Suarez seemingly happy and we have a huge game against the mancs coming up.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #28: Mar 03, 2014 02:43:05 pm
      I don't agree mate, John Henry is now saying that Suarez did have a buy out clause :-  "And he had a buy-out clause - I don't know what degree I should go into this - but he had a buy-out clause of £40m. So Arsenal, one of our prime rivals this year, they offered £40m and one pound for him and triggered his buy-out clause.

I honestly can't see the benefit, all we have done is shown that we can't be trusted. That is really going to be a big help when we try to sign players or get people to sign new contracts.

But my main point is why bring it all back up now when we are doing well, with Suarez seemingly happy and we have a huge game against the mancs coming up.

I guess it's one of those situations where some see it as a nothing issue and others as a big deal. 

I doubt it was planned by JH to bring it up, he was asked a question and used Luis and Torres to explain his answer to an audience that didn't know much about football contracts/transfers.

On the other hand it's come as a distraction for the media who instead of talking up our title chances, putting pressure on the lads, they're now talking about this   ;)

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #29: Mar 03, 2014 02:55:17 pm
      I guess it's one of those situations where some see it as a nothing issue and others as a big deal. 

I doubt it was planned by JH to bring it up, he was asked a question and used Luis and Torres to explain his answer to an audience that didn't know much about football contracts/transfers.

On the other hand it's come as a distraction for the media who instead of talking up our title chances, putting pressure on the lads, they're now talking about this   ;)

Like Rafa's rant when we last had a chance of winning the title, the media make some distractions worse than the pressure.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #30: Mar 03, 2014 02:59:51 pm
      Like Rafa's rant when we last had a chance of winning the title, the media make some distractions worse than the pressure.

But it wasn't our Manager who said it during a pre match press conference, it was our absent owner thousands of miles away taking part in a sports chat show.

Look I'm not saying it was the right thing to say or do and I'm not trying to defend him, I just don't see it as a big deal.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Mar 03, 2014 03:15:05 pm
      I just don't see it as a big deal.

Just type John Henry into google and you will get some idea how big a deal it is to the media. I have no idea how big a deal it is to Suarez, but I wouldn't expect him to be too pleased.

For me it is something that shouldn't have been said, if he wanted to discuss not honouring buy out clauses and contracts, he could have used Konoplyanka as an example.... at least then he is upsetting someone else's player.   

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #32: Mar 03, 2014 03:18:46 pm
      Just type John Henry into google and you will get some idea how big a deal it is to the media. I have no idea how big a deal it is to Suarez, but I wouldn't expect him to be too pleased.

For me it is something that shouldn't have been said, if he wanted to discuss not honouring buy out clauses and contracts, he could have used Konoplyanka as an example.... at least then he is upsetting someone else's player.   

Why would he be annoyed at it though Saint?  He got the damn thing checked out by the PFA and they confirmed our position not Luis'.  It's done, gone, he's signed a new contract so the old one's null and void anyway now.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33: Mar 03, 2014 03:38:18 pm
      Why would he be annoyed at it though Saint?  He got the damn thing checked out by the PFA and they confirmed our position not Luis'.  It's done, gone, he's signed a new contract so the old one's null and void anyway now.

No one likes to be lied to.

From what John Henry is saying now that is exactly what happened. They disputed/ignored a clause in Suarez contract that Suarez believed (correctly?) allowed him to go, by saying that it only allowed Arsenal permission to speak to Suarez. If you believe what John Henry is saying now then Suarez belief not what Liverpool said at the time was correct.

The PFA said the clause was ambiguous so they gave no ruling “There is a ‘good faith’ clause in relation to serious discussions but I can’t say it is cast-iron buy-out clause."

Suarez believes, at the very least, he has a gentleman’s agreement with Rodgers.

“Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I’d be allowed to go,” he said in an interview with the Daily Telegraph and Guardian.

“It is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract - now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/transfer_blow_for_arsenal_as_pfa_chief_gives_his_verdict_on_suarez_s_contract_at_liverpool_1_2323852?usurv=skip

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #34: Mar 03, 2014 03:48:16 pm

From what John Henry is saying now that is exactly what happened. They disputed/ignored a clause in Suarez contract that Suarez believed (correctly?) allowed him to go, by saying that it only allowed Arsenal permission to speak to Suarez. If you believe what John Henry is saying now then Suarez belief not what Liverpool said at the time was correct.

The PFA said the clause was ambiguous so they gave no ruling “There is a ‘good faith’ clause in relation to serious discussions but I can’t say it is cast-iron buy-out clause."

Suarez believes, at the very least, he has a gentleman’s agreement with Rodgers.

“Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I’d be allowed to go,” he said in an interview with the Daily Telegraph and Guardian.

“It is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract - now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/transfer_blow_for_arsenal_as_pfa_chief_gives_his_verdict_on_suarez_s_contract_at_liverpool_1_2323852?usurv=skip

I agree that this didn't need to be brought up at this point in time.

But I also think that in using the term "Buy out" JWH possibly doesn't know what the 'eff he's talking about. As debs said, it was looked over, we were found to be within our rights to tell the Arse to suck it and that was that. If Luis really only cares about playing in the Champion's League...I highly doubt any of this is going to matter. In fact I would be surprised if JWH or Brendan or someone of the ilk told Suarez this past summer what JWH has now said. Remember that Brendan put Luis in timeout for this whole thing once he came back to the squad. I don't think BR is any kind of pushover in dealing with player relations.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #35: Mar 03, 2014 03:48:30 pm

Ok mate you've ground me down. 

JH should have kept his mouth shut, Luis is going to spit his dummy out, go on strike and we'll get relegated, then Arsenal will get him for nothing whilst we pay a huge fine for being devious bas**rds. 

We've really become paranoid fu**ers over the last few years/decades  :mad:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #36: Mar 03, 2014 03:52:19 pm
      I agree that this didn't need to be brought up at this point in time.

But I also think that in using the term "Buy out" JWH possibly doesn't know what the 'eff he's talking about. As debs said, it was looked over, we were found to be within our rights to tell the Arse to suck it and that was that. If Luis really only cares about playing in the Champion's League...I highly doubt any of this is going to matter. In fact I would be surprised if JWH or Brendan or someone of the ilk told Suarez this past summer what JWH has now said. Remember that Brendan put Luis in timeout for this whole thing once he came back to the squad. I don't think BR is any kind of pushover in dealing with player relations.

“I spoke with Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me, ‘Stay another season, and you have my word, if we don’t make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave.’ - See more at: http://www.soccerticketsonline.com/luis-suarez-says-brendan-rodgers-lied-to-him/#sthash.HKlPTh4N.dpuf
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #37: Mar 03, 2014 03:54:02 pm
      JH should have kept his mouth shut

That's all I wanted mate.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #38: Mar 03, 2014 03:58:22 pm
      I can't imagine JWH saying this if we where 4-6th.

Reeks of arrogance IMHO
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #39: Mar 03, 2014 04:05:02 pm
      Can't believe all of the negative responses to JWH and the owners!!  They took a hard line to try to ensure that we kept hold of our best player and many on here are still criticizing them.  I guess you just can't please some.....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #40: Mar 03, 2014 04:09:09 pm
      “I spoke with Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me, ‘Stay another season, and you have my word, if we don’t make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave.’ - See more at: http://www.soccerticketsonline.com/luis-suarez-says-brendan-rodgers-lied-to-him/#sthash.HKlPTh4N.dpuf

So what....maybe Brendan was lying the entire time, saying anything he thought he needed to say to keep his player. Luis lied to the fans as well when he tried to engineer a move away this past summer.....

Much ado about nothing. Let's talk about football and how we are going to win the league. If Luis gets his knickers in a twist and wants to leave at the end of the season because of this "speculation" then so be it. No man bigger than the club.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #41: Mar 03, 2014 04:24:32 pm
      if this skeleton in the closet had to come out sometime and had to come out during the season, this is not a bad time tbh.  It really is bollocks for john henry to talk about it during a critical time but at least he opened his big mouth when we have 2 weeks off.  hopefully, if there is any damage done, it would have blown over and settled by the time we play manutd.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #42: Mar 03, 2014 04:25:44 pm
      So what....maybe Brendan was lying the entire time, saying anything he thought he needed to say to keep his player. Luis lied to the fans as well when he tried to engineer a move away this past summer.....

Much ado about nothing. Let's talk about football and how we are going to win the league. If Luis gets his knickers in a twist and wants to leave at the end of the season because of this "speculation" then so be it. No man bigger than the club.

Which is my whole point, by coming out with this crap, John Henry has taken the focus away from football and what a great position we are in and brought something that was better left in the past back to life. Why risk Luis seeing his arse over something that didn't need to be said?

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #43: Mar 03, 2014 04:39:14 pm
      Ok mate you've ground me down. 

JH should have kept his mouth shut, Luis is going to spit his dummy out, go on strike and we'll get relegated, then Arsenal will get him for nothing whilst we pay a huge fine for being devious bas**rds. 

We've really become paranoid fu**ers over the last few years/decades  :mad:
      if jh said nothing Suarez wouldn't refuse to play.  Suarez loves playing football. Why would he strike when we are doing so well. Arsenal won't get him. He's doing well here.  A fine is out of the question because we didn't have to sell. FA even said so. A bit negative thinking too much.  Talking about relegation?  I don't seem so negative when worrying about Chelsea's 4 point lead now then eh?  :lmao:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #44: Mar 03, 2014 04:41:14 pm
      if jh said nothing Suarez wouldn't refuse to play.  Suarez loves playing football. Why would he strike when we are doing so well. Arsenal won't get him. He's doing well here.  A fine is out of the question because we didn't have to sell. FA even said so. A bit negative thinking too much.  Talking about relegation?  I don't seem so negative when worrying about Chelsea's 4 point lead now then eh?  :lmao:

It was a p**s take which is obvious if you'd actually read the earlier posts between the two of us.  Deary me  :mad:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #45: Mar 03, 2014 04:41:52 pm

WTF ? Reddebs was being sarcastic mate.... at least I hope she was :)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #46: Mar 03, 2014 04:43:49 pm

As above mate, as above  ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #47: Mar 03, 2014 04:48:12 pm

I just wondered if it was you that had started the petition :)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1978487-arsenal-fan-starts-optimistic-petition-for-liverpool-to-hand-over-luis-suarez

I think their demands are quite reasonable :-

1.“Release Luis Suarez to Arsenal Football Club free of charge ”

2.“Apologise to Arsenal Football Club”

3.“Pay Arsenal Football Club a total of £4,500,000 compensation ”
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #48: Mar 03, 2014 04:56:06 pm
      ahh that explains it then. It's hard to tell sarcasm on a forum because no body language or voice tone. I didn't get my free crystal ball ball when I joined the forum.  ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #49: Mar 03, 2014 05:01:33 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1978487-arsenal-fan-starts-optimistic-petition-for-liverpool-to-hand-over-luis-suarez

No mate but I had read the terms of the petition before I posted, hence the comments  ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #50: Mar 03, 2014 05:02:58 pm

Arsenal fans talk rediculous sometimes.  My mates an Arsenal fan and year after year he says how they gonna ein the league and they didn't. Arsenal can have Suarez for 300m. Fair price considering they paid 40m for Ozil.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #51: Mar 03, 2014 05:05:56 pm
      Which is my whole point, by coming out with this crap, John Henry has taken the focus away from football and what a great position we are in and brought something that was better left in the past back to life. Why risk Luis seeing his arse over something that didn't need to be said?

If Luis is that soft (he isn't) then he can walk. I'm not worried about it personally. The only way this has taken the emphasis off of football is for people that are wound too tightly. In which case, they'll find something to take the emphasis off of football regardless of what anyone says or does.

I'll agree with you that it didn't really need to be said, now or ever...but I'm not too worried about Luis' response to it personally.  But then again, I don't worry about too much, I tend to just cruise along through life with a smile on my face ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #52: Mar 03, 2014 05:07:14 pm
      ahh that explains it then. It's hard to tell sarcasm on a forum because no body language or voice tone. I didn't get my free crystal ball ball when I joined the forum.  ;)

I got two crystal balls when I joined...you want one of mine?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #53: Mar 03, 2014 05:11:33 pm
      I got two crystal balls when I joined...you want one of mine?

:lmao:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #54: Mar 03, 2014 05:13:15 pm
      I tend to just cruise along through life with a smile on my face

Call yourself a Liverpool supporter with an attitude like that !

:D

hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #55: Mar 03, 2014 05:30:06 pm
      Glad to hear the club took this stance. Im sure everyone involved knew about this already. F**k the media if they think they can make more of this then there is.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #56: Mar 03, 2014 05:39:40 pm
      Call yourself a Liverpool supporter with an attitude like that !

:D

I know...it's been really hard ;D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #57: Mar 03, 2014 05:43:28 pm

That all makes a lot of asumptions. It assumes the player was lied to, it assumes John Henry didn't (directly or indirectly) make his position clear, it assumes John Henry has his facts straight which considering the PFA agreed with Liverpool's interpenetration of the contract, would seem unlikely. It assumes that the player has regrets about staying, which given our respective positions in the league (Arsenal doing their annual implode) would be surprising.

The fact is that none of us know - not the fans, not the vermin in the press - what transpired behind the scenes because Liverpool, quite rightly, does not do its business in the glare of the world's media.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #58: Mar 03, 2014 06:03:22 pm
      because Liverpool, quite rightly, does not do its business in the glare of the world's media.

:lmao: That's why it is headline news all over the country

As for the rest you believe what you want. I believe John Henry should have kept his mouth shut.... end of!

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #59: Mar 03, 2014 06:09:09 pm
      Hey did I miss out on a freebee when I joined. Can we please leave this alone now Luis is happy Brendan is happy who gives a flying F**k if JH is happy or not.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Mar 03, 2014 07:24:53 pm
      :lmao: That's why it is headline news all over the country

As for the rest you believe what you want. I believe John Henry should have kept his mouth shut.... end of!

I was referring to at the time. Clearly John Henry doesn't share the club's ethos and, as you say, should have kept his gob shut.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #61: Mar 03, 2014 07:58:14 pm
      I just wonder? not saying if JH is telling the truth or not , clause or no clause, Luis stayed and seems a happy player at the moment

But I wonder why would Luis and his agent accept LFC's decision not to sell , if there was a real buy out  clause of 40M+, The FA (and they for sure are not  LIVERPOOL fans) accepted LFC's interpretation of the so called clause, they rejected , the agent's and the arse's interpretation,
         all in all JH should have kept his mouth zipped at this very important  and interesting faze of this season

YNWA

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #62: Mar 03, 2014 08:06:22 pm
      ...... are we getting spooked ?

Calm down ... calm down   

Remember lads and ladys ...
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #63: Mar 03, 2014 09:40:58 pm
      Isn't this entire story missing one thing? The PFA looked at Suarez's contract and said he didn't have a buyout clause. I remember that toad Gordon Taylor giving his meaningless comments on it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-pfa-chief-2137102

Also, these quotes are coming from Twitter if I'm not mistaken. Tweets are limited to 140 characters, so words often get dropped when quoting people. So I'm thinking the quotes aren't perfect for that reason. A video would be brilliant to see, but it's still such a non-story to me.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #64: Mar 03, 2014 10:04:44 pm
      I too would prefer that this wasn't common knowledge and certainly not up in the news again. That whole #FreeSuarez thing was funny for all of 5 minutes too but now it's just wrecking my head to be honest.

On a side note, what I can gather is that the clause said we were to negotiate with any club that met the clause but were not required to accept any bid. I guess it is funny that we just told Arsenal to F**k off!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #65: Mar 03, 2014 10:06:13 pm
      Arsenal fans talk rediculous sometimes.

Sure you're not a gooner?

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #66: Mar 03, 2014 10:14:58 pm
      With Saint on this, no need for it to be brought up at all and especially at this stage of the season

However I cant help but feel a little bit pleased to see our owners playing the game instead of rolling over and getting rode
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #67: Mar 03, 2014 10:17:19 pm
      With Saint on this, no need for it to be brought up at all and especially at this stage of the season

However I cant help but feel a little bit pleased to see our owners playing the game instead of rolling over and getting rode

I think they put Suarez over their knee and spanked his behind a little bit to be honest :D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #68: Mar 04, 2014 02:27:54 am
      Quote from s@int

He wasn't lied to.

There was a buy out. That doesn't mean we have to automatically sell. Or even sell to Arsenal. He signed a legally binding contract with the board. He is the board's player. It doesn't matter whether one club or ten clubs met the buy out clause. It's ultimately up to the board to tear up his contract and let him go. If they choose not to, Luis has to accept that.

Yes, he wants us to play in the European Cup, but so do the rest of us. We weren't good enough to qualify last year, so we have to sit it out until we are. He has to accept that, like everyone else here.

The focus should all be about the next game.  But at least this was released now rather than as usually happens, the night before the game.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #69: Mar 04, 2014 07:24:09 am
      Who gives a sh*t?

They bid, we rejected, Luis stayed, signed a new contract and now we're second in the league and above them.

If anyone thinks this is going to potentially derail our season need their paranoid head examined!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #70: Mar 04, 2014 08:06:56 am
      Who gives a sh*t?

They bid, we rejected, Luis stayed, signed a new contract and now we're second in the league and above them.

If anyone thinks this is going to potentially derail our season need their paranoid head examined!

Yeah, I'm quite perplexed as to why this is such a big deal. Besides those who see it as a good excuse to bash the ownership, I really don't see why this is being talked about seriously.

For me, I just had a boss laugh at the F***ing dim tw*t who started this whole #FreeSuarez thing and moved on with my day. Non-issue, this.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #71: Mar 04, 2014 09:18:24 am
      Yeah, I'm quite perplexed as to why this is such a big deal. Besides those who see it as a good excuse to bash the ownership, I really don't see why this is being talked about seriously.

For me, I just had a boss laugh at the f**king dim tw*t who started this whole #FreeSuarez thing and moved on with my day. Non-issue, this.

I think there's a fear amongst Liverpool fans or a fair percentage that when were doing well we derail ourselves by doing or saying things off the pitch that don't need saying or doing. Were going great last thing we need is the press having anything even just 1 quote to feed off to make a big thing from nothing.

If the owner wanted people to know hes ballsy he could have done it on May 12th when the season was over. If we now hit a wall it will be blamed on this even though it most likely will have nothing to do with any collapse that might come
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #72: Mar 04, 2014 09:19:59 am

For me, I just had a boss laugh at the f**king dim tw*t who started this whole #FreeSuarez thing and moved on with my day. Non-issue, this.

Totally agree. Maybe JH would have been better keeping stum, but I'm not going to lambast him for it, I'm just glad they did what they did and Luis is still our player.
      As far as I'm concerned it's the media doing what the media do, trying to stir things up, let's not give them any ammunition.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #73: Mar 04, 2014 10:08:13 am
      Arsenal fans can F**k off with thier petition, the media can get fu**ed with their sh*t stirring. 10 games to go, that's all that matters....full steam ahead!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #74: Mar 04, 2014 12:26:52 pm
      If you read between the lines, JW is only saying "Blah Blah Blah, my pipi is bigger than yours"

But at least it proves that Luis was acting in good faith, even when he was wrong.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #75: Mar 04, 2014 12:49:12 pm
      It's been said, tough sh*t. Can't change the past.

Should of kept his mush shut but he hasn't. Move on.

Suarez is our player, Suarez is gonna lead us to the League Title.

Liverpool fans rejoice.

Arsenal fans sulk over yet another trophyless year and Wenger explains that his "young side" will come good in three or four years time when they're all ready to take active roles in Dad's Army. And the greatest foreign manager to ever coach in this League goes even closer to a full decade without any silverware in his possession. 

Business as usual.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #76: Mar 04, 2014 01:06:33 pm
      Interesting, how Luis argued that "promises" had been broken but made no mention of a buy-out clause in his contract.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #77: Mar 04, 2014 01:41:38 pm
      Just one question :

What will happen if Arsenal sue us now they have a proof we lied about the buy out clause ?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #78: Mar 04, 2014 01:48:26 pm
      I find this refreshing.  The owners are trying to get credit and telling us that tried their utmost to keep Suarez.   They are confirming that there was a clause in the contract of 40m.   At the end of the day no one came that tickle Suarez's fancy.  If Madrid try to activate the 40m it would have been different.   

The good thing out of this for me is that the owners have come out took the credit.  But also told us that they want to keep him in the long run.  For me I had a feeling that he will be sold in the summer if the offer on the table is reasonable.  They have now showed their cards coming to the end of the season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #79: Mar 04, 2014 01:53:28 pm
      Just one question :

What will happen if Arsenal sue us now they have a proof we lied about the buy out clause ?

They, Arsenal that is, can't sue now and couldn't sue then either, they don't/didn't have a contract with us.  If anyone was/is going to sue it would be Luis but seeing as he didn't push for the move at the time and has since signed a new and improved contract since I don't see there's an issue.
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #80: Mar 04, 2014 04:44:00 pm
      How can anyone think Arsenal can sue us, as I understood it, the clause was looked at by the PFA and their legal eagles, and they said that it was not a buy out clause, just a clause that said we would talk to whoever came in with a bid over £40m. They offered £1.00 over and we spoke to them and told them to s*d off. If anyone is being made to look foolish, it's Arsenal for trying to be too clever!
      As for Arsenal fans and their 'Free Luis', I suggest a 'Free RVP' campaign maybe more apt!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #81: Mar 04, 2014 07:08:34 pm
      It's been said, tough sh*t. Can't change the past.

Should of kept his mush shut but he hasn't. Move on.

Suarez is our player, Suarez is gonna lead us to the League Title.

Liverpool fans rejoice.

Arsenal fans sulk over yet another trophyless year and Wenger explains that his "young side" will come good in three or four years time when they're all ready to take active roles in Dad's Army. And the greatest foreign manager to ever coach in this League goes even closer to a full decade without any silverware in his possession. 

Business as usual.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      This ,

John Dubya needs to learn when to keep his gob shut, simples , we all know our poisonous media will go to any lengths to grab a exclusive and F**k the consequences, especially when it concerns LFC,

There are two things that spring to mind here, the still naivity of JWH  regarding our media fuckwits & mountains made out of molehills,

So F**k Arsenal,their fans the media fuckwits and every other anti-Liverpool FC bollocks,
      Get used to this sort of sh*t people we 're back and the haters out there are sharpening their knives.

YNWA

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #82: Mar 05, 2014 09:53:12 am
      Not that I think this is a conversation worth having, as it really is being overblown by our own support as much as the media right now - but, here's a link to video of this whole thing.

It's really John just in a casual conversation/interview setting answering questions. And what he says really isn't at all saying they just ignored a contract clause, more a general bemusement at the idea of a "contract" in football and the Suarez saga as an example of that. Whatevs. Moving on. Just thought anyone interested should have a look.

Henry

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #83: Mar 07, 2014 12:49:58 pm
      Not that I think this is a conversation worth having, as it really is being overblown by our own support as much as the media right now - but, here's a link to video of this whole thing.

It's really John just in a casual conversation/interview setting answering questions. And what he says really isn't at all saying they just ignored a contract clause, more a general bemusement at the idea of a "contract" in football and the Suarez saga as an example of that. Whatevs. Moving on. Just thought anyone interested should have a look.

Henry
      he basically said Suarez had a buyout clause but contracts don't mean sh*t. Really sorry but it's facepalm for the club.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #84: Mar 08, 2014 08:39:43 am
      he basically said Suarez had a buyout clause but contracts don't mean sh*t. Really sorry but it's facepalm for the club.

Not at all, he had a clause in which the club had to consider an offer, not acept an offer, I.E. NOT a buyout clause and NOT a release clause.  Even the F.A. stated that it wasn't thus.

If their is a facepalm to be had, it is yours to own.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #85: Mar 08, 2014 05:37:32 pm

He didn't say what constituted the buyout clause. As has been repeatedly mentioned, it had been looked over and proved inconclusive, hence JWH has really only just said what everyone already knew.

Storm in a teacup, this. Thinking this is a face palm on the club is being way too overdramatic, and buying into media BS.

Quick Reply