Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool and Suarez contract clause

Read 9506 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool and Suarez contract clause
      Reply #23: Mar 03, 2014 12:55:18 pm
      That's exactly what it is mate.  JW was a guest on a chat show type thingy in the states about sports ownership, he was explaining the differences in contracts/player acquisitions and used Luis & Torres as examples. 

Don't think any of it was said to deliberately wind up the arse or their fans but the fact that it has is just brilliant.  At a time when they're about to enter their toughest run of fixtures of the season and we've just gone above them in the league.

To be honest I wouldn't care if it just wound the Arsenal up, but my worry is that Suarez may not take too kindly to being lied to. The other thing is that Suarez could probably declare his new contract null and void if he decides he still wants to leave in the summer, as it was signed under false pretenses.

I just don't understand why anyone with Liverpool's interests at heart,  would want to stir things up now, just as things are going our way.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: Mar 03, 2014 01:08:59 pm
      I just don't understand why anyone with Liverpool's interests at heart,  would want to stir things up now, just as things are going our way.
      Just this.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #25: Mar 03, 2014 01:59:00 pm
      We have 2 weeks off and then a derby against Utd.  I am sure all the attention will be taken away from that.  Suarez is happy here.  And I don't think Suarez was lied too at all.  It went to the panel.    At the end of the day the bid of 40m and £1 is exactly the reason why in our league the buy out clauses don't hold much water.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #26: Mar 03, 2014 02:16:40 pm
      To be honest I wouldn't care if it just wound the Arsenal up, but my worry is that Suarez may not take too kindly to being lied to. The other thing is that Suarez could probably declare his new contract null and void if he decides he still wants to leave in the summer, as it was signed under false pretenses.

But he wasn't lied to Saint.  The PFA checked the contract and confirmed it wasn't a "release clause", also questions could be raised of Arsenal as to how they "knew" what to offer to trigger any clause.

I'm sure if Luis wasn't happy being forced to stay he wouldn't have signed his new contract so he's hardly going to kick up a fuss now.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #27: Mar 03, 2014 02:33:20 pm
      But he wasn't lied to Saint.  The PFA checked the contract and confirmed it wasn't a "release clause", also questions could be raised of Arsenal as to how they "knew" what to offer to trigger any clause.

I'm sure if Luis wasn't happy being forced to stay he wouldn't have signed his new contract so he's hardly going to kick up a fuss now.

I don't agree mate, John Henry is now saying that Suarez did have a buy out clause :-  "And he had a buy-out clause - I don't know what degree I should go into this - but he had a buy-out clause of £40m. So Arsenal, one of our prime rivals this year, they offered £40m and one pound for him and triggered his buy-out clause.

I honestly can't see the benefit, all we have done is shown that we can't be trusted. That is really going to be a big help when we try to sign players or get people to sign new contracts.

I'm sure if Luis wasn't happy being forced to stay he wouldn't have signed his new contract
      Probably like most of us he didn't expect us to qualify for Europe and thought that it was easier to wait 12 months than take Liverpool to court.... especially in a World cup year!

But my main point is why bring it all back up now when we are doing well, with Suarez seemingly happy and we have a huge game against the mancs coming up.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #28: Mar 03, 2014 02:43:05 pm
      I don't agree mate, John Henry is now saying that Suarez did have a buy out clause :-  "And he had a buy-out clause - I don't know what degree I should go into this - but he had a buy-out clause of £40m. So Arsenal, one of our prime rivals this year, they offered £40m and one pound for him and triggered his buy-out clause.

I honestly can't see the benefit, all we have done is shown that we can't be trusted. That is really going to be a big help when we try to sign players or get people to sign new contracts.

But my main point is why bring it all back up now when we are doing well, with Suarez seemingly happy and we have a huge game against the mancs coming up.

I guess it's one of those situations where some see it as a nothing issue and others as a big deal. 

I doubt it was planned by JH to bring it up, he was asked a question and used Luis and Torres to explain his answer to an audience that didn't know much about football contracts/transfers.

On the other hand it's come as a distraction for the media who instead of talking up our title chances, putting pressure on the lads, they're now talking about this   ;)

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #29: Mar 03, 2014 02:55:17 pm
      I guess it's one of those situations where some see it as a nothing issue and others as a big deal. 

I doubt it was planned by JH to bring it up, he was asked a question and used Luis and Torres to explain his answer to an audience that didn't know much about football contracts/transfers.

On the other hand it's come as a distraction for the media who instead of talking up our title chances, putting pressure on the lads, they're now talking about this   ;)

Like Rafa's rant when we last had a chance of winning the title, the media make some distractions worse than the pressure.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #30: Mar 03, 2014 02:59:51 pm
      Like Rafa's rant when we last had a chance of winning the title, the media make some distractions worse than the pressure.

But it wasn't our Manager who said it during a pre match press conference, it was our absent owner thousands of miles away taking part in a sports chat show.

Look I'm not saying it was the right thing to say or do and I'm not trying to defend him, I just don't see it as a big deal.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #31: Mar 03, 2014 03:15:05 pm
      I just don't see it as a big deal.

Just type John Henry into google and you will get some idea how big a deal it is to the media. I have no idea how big a deal it is to Suarez, but I wouldn't expect him to be too pleased.

For me it is something that shouldn't have been said, if he wanted to discuss not honouring buy out clauses and contracts, he could have used Konoplyanka as an example.... at least then he is upsetting someone else's player.   

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #32: Mar 03, 2014 03:18:46 pm
      Just type John Henry into google and you will get some idea how big a deal it is to the media. I have no idea how big a deal it is to Suarez, but I wouldn't expect him to be too pleased.

For me it is something that shouldn't have been said, if he wanted to discuss not honouring buy out clauses and contracts, he could have used Konoplyanka as an example.... at least then he is upsetting someone else's player.   

Why would he be annoyed at it though Saint?  He got the damn thing checked out by the PFA and they confirmed our position not Luis'.  It's done, gone, he's signed a new contract so the old one's null and void anyway now.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #33: Mar 03, 2014 03:38:18 pm
      Why would he be annoyed at it though Saint?  He got the damn thing checked out by the PFA and they confirmed our position not Luis'.  It's done, gone, he's signed a new contract so the old one's null and void anyway now.

No one likes to be lied to.

From what John Henry is saying now that is exactly what happened. They disputed/ignored a clause in Suarez contract that Suarez believed (correctly?) allowed him to go, by saying that it only allowed Arsenal permission to speak to Suarez. If you believe what John Henry is saying now then Suarez belief not what Liverpool said at the time was correct.

The PFA said the clause was ambiguous so they gave no ruling “There is a ‘good faith’ clause in relation to serious discussions but I can’t say it is cast-iron buy-out clause."

Suarez believes, at the very least, he has a gentleman’s agreement with Rodgers.

“Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I’d be allowed to go,” he said in an interview with the Daily Telegraph and Guardian.

“It is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract - now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/transfer_blow_for_arsenal_as_pfa_chief_gives_his_verdict_on_suarez_s_contract_at_liverpool_1_2323852?usurv=skip

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #34: Mar 03, 2014 03:48:16 pm

From what John Henry is saying now that is exactly what happened. They disputed/ignored a clause in Suarez contract that Suarez believed (correctly?) allowed him to go, by saying that it only allowed Arsenal permission to speak to Suarez. If you believe what John Henry is saying now then Suarez belief not what Liverpool said at the time was correct.

The PFA said the clause was ambiguous so they gave no ruling “There is a ‘good faith’ clause in relation to serious discussions but I can’t say it is cast-iron buy-out clause."

Suarez believes, at the very least, he has a gentleman’s agreement with Rodgers.

“Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I’d be allowed to go,” he said in an interview with the Daily Telegraph and Guardian.

“It is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract - now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/transfer_blow_for_arsenal_as_pfa_chief_gives_his_verdict_on_suarez_s_contract_at_liverpool_1_2323852?usurv=skip

I agree that this didn't need to be brought up at this point in time.

But I also think that in using the term "Buy out" JWH possibly doesn't know what the 'eff he's talking about. As debs said, it was looked over, we were found to be within our rights to tell the Arse to suck it and that was that. If Luis really only cares about playing in the Champion's League...I highly doubt any of this is going to matter. In fact I would be surprised if JWH or Brendan or someone of the ilk told Suarez this past summer what JWH has now said. Remember that Brendan put Luis in timeout for this whole thing once he came back to the squad. I don't think BR is any kind of pushover in dealing with player relations.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #35: Mar 03, 2014 03:48:30 pm

Ok mate you've ground me down. 

JH should have kept his mouth shut, Luis is going to spit his dummy out, go on strike and we'll get relegated, then Arsenal will get him for nothing whilst we pay a huge fine for being devious bas**rds. 

We've really become paranoid fu**ers over the last few years/decades  :mad:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #36: Mar 03, 2014 03:52:19 pm
      I agree that this didn't need to be brought up at this point in time.

But I also think that in using the term "Buy out" JWH possibly doesn't know what the 'eff he's talking about. As debs said, it was looked over, we were found to be within our rights to tell the Arse to suck it and that was that. If Luis really only cares about playing in the Champion's League...I highly doubt any of this is going to matter. In fact I would be surprised if JWH or Brendan or someone of the ilk told Suarez this past summer what JWH has now said. Remember that Brendan put Luis in timeout for this whole thing once he came back to the squad. I don't think BR is any kind of pushover in dealing with player relations.

“I spoke with Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me, ‘Stay another season, and you have my word, if we don’t make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave.’ - See more at: http://www.soccerticketsonline.com/luis-suarez-says-brendan-rodgers-lied-to-him/#sthash.HKlPTh4N.dpuf
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #37: Mar 03, 2014 03:54:02 pm
      JH should have kept his mouth shut

That's all I wanted mate.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #38: Mar 03, 2014 03:58:22 pm
      I can't imagine JWH saying this if we where 4-6th.

Reeks of arrogance IMHO
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #39: Mar 03, 2014 04:05:02 pm
      Can't believe all of the negative responses to JWH and the owners!!  They took a hard line to try to ensure that we kept hold of our best player and many on here are still criticizing them.  I guess you just can't please some.....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #40: Mar 03, 2014 04:09:09 pm
      “I spoke with Brendan Rodgers several times and he told me, ‘Stay another season, and you have my word, if we don’t make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave.’ - See more at: http://www.soccerticketsonline.com/luis-suarez-says-brendan-rodgers-lied-to-him/#sthash.HKlPTh4N.dpuf

So what....maybe Brendan was lying the entire time, saying anything he thought he needed to say to keep his player. Luis lied to the fans as well when he tried to engineer a move away this past summer.....

Much ado about nothing. Let's talk about football and how we are going to win the league. If Luis gets his knickers in a twist and wants to leave at the end of the season because of this "speculation" then so be it. No man bigger than the club.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #41: Mar 03, 2014 04:24:32 pm
      if this skeleton in the closet had to come out sometime and had to come out during the season, this is not a bad time tbh.  It really is bollocks for john henry to talk about it during a critical time but at least he opened his big mouth when we have 2 weeks off.  hopefully, if there is any damage done, it would have blown over and settled by the time we play manutd.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #42: Mar 03, 2014 04:25:44 pm
      So what....maybe Brendan was lying the entire time, saying anything he thought he needed to say to keep his player. Luis lied to the fans as well when he tried to engineer a move away this past summer.....

Much ado about nothing. Let's talk about football and how we are going to win the league. If Luis gets his knickers in a twist and wants to leave at the end of the season because of this "speculation" then so be it. No man bigger than the club.

Which is my whole point, by coming out with this crap, John Henry has taken the focus away from football and what a great position we are in and brought something that was better left in the past back to life. Why risk Luis seeing his arse over something that didn't need to be said?

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #43: Mar 03, 2014 04:39:14 pm
      Ok mate you've ground me down. 

JH should have kept his mouth shut, Luis is going to spit his dummy out, go on strike and we'll get relegated, then Arsenal will get him for nothing whilst we pay a huge fine for being devious bas**rds. 

We've really become paranoid fu**ers over the last few years/decades  :mad:
      if jh said nothing Suarez wouldn't refuse to play.  Suarez loves playing football. Why would he strike when we are doing so well. Arsenal won't get him. He's doing well here.  A fine is out of the question because we didn't have to sell. FA even said so. A bit negative thinking too much.  Talking about relegation?  I don't seem so negative when worrying about Chelsea's 4 point lead now then eh?  :lmao:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #44: Mar 03, 2014 04:41:14 pm
      if jh said nothing Suarez wouldn't refuse to play.  Suarez loves playing football. Why would he strike when we are doing so well. Arsenal won't get him. He's doing well here.  A fine is out of the question because we didn't have to sell. FA even said so. A bit negative thinking too much.  Talking about relegation?  I don't seem so negative when worrying about Chelsea's 4 point lead now then eh?  :lmao:

It was a p**s take which is obvious if you'd actually read the earlier posts between the two of us.  Deary me  :mad:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #45: Mar 03, 2014 04:41:52 pm

WTF ? Reddebs was being sarcastic mate.... at least I hope she was :)

Quick Reply