Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Jon Flanagan
      18 (10.1%)
      Martin Skrtel
      5 (2.8%)
      Daniel Agger
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      2 (1.1%)
      Steven Gerrard
      126 (70.4%)
      Joe Allen
      6 (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      11 (6.1%)
      Raheem Sterling
      1 (0.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      2 (1.1%)
      Luis Suarez
      8 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Voting closed: Mar 21, 2014 06:48:35 pm

United 0-3 Liverpool: In-game & post-match hysteria

Read 41595 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: United 0-3 Liverpool: In-game & post-match hysteria
      Reply #621: Mar 17, 2014 05:50:26 pm
      Warrior must have been delighted with the result yesterday. For the first time this season the away kit became marketable. Funny how a great result can make a terrible kit look good.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #622: Mar 17, 2014 05:51:46 pm
      I was horny as F**k after that win. Don't know whether it was going X in the City the night before, or that F***ing sexy performance from our lads and the look on all their horrible little faces, but it was a good day and night all round.

THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL FERGIE YOU RED NOSED c**t.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Š Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #623: Mar 17, 2014 05:54:22 pm
      notice Van Pussy wasn't throwing his weight around as usual.

Yeah, he certainly looked like he couldn't give a sh*t about the result, head is surely deciding where to move in the summer, and how many other rats will join him I wonder?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #624: Mar 17, 2014 06:02:57 pm
      F***ing funny that - Fellonya putting his fist in Sterling's face but before he can connect properly Stevie piles in like a f**king Exocet and does him in, hahaha.
      Brilliant !

Loved it, he's always had that protective streak for Raheem. Sideshow Bob was put well and truly in his place, notice Van Pussy wasn't throwing his weight around as usual. When you look around and see Agger, Skrtel and Stevie it's nice for the young and smaller lads to know they've got some serious back-up.

I loved it too, Stevie G being the father figure and taking no s**t from that big oaf who isn't shy of using his elbows.  Maybe that's why Brendan had him, Raheem, playing central at least Fellaini couldn't hurt him with his elbows without being on his knees  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,037 posts | 3963 
      Reply #625: Mar 17, 2014 06:03:22 pm
      Yeah, he certainly looked like he couldn't give a sh*t about the result, head is surely deciding where to move in the summer, and how many other rats will join him I wonder?

The mancs would have you believe the Van man has committed himself to the club........his body language told a different story.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #626: Mar 17, 2014 06:19:37 pm

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I remember the derby last season when he was getting away with murder - elbows in the nose all the time. He's a classless, talentless piece of sh*t and he got more than a taste of his own medicine from Gerrard yesterday. BAM! BLOODY NOSE! LOVE IT!!
      Not at the moment mate but this was one of my fave photos from yesterday. Love it.

Handsome devil. Don't want to sound too gay but he looks classier with age.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #627: Mar 17, 2014 06:20:55 pm
      Still buzzing!!

Was sat next to a Manc in the pub watching this and he was shouting "you scouse b***ard" constantly whenever Gerrard had the ball....funnily enough he shut up when he scored his 2nd!! The only thing he piped up about after that was when the camera showed Fergie when he started shouting "legend"! Total moron and he didn't even stay until the final whislte.

Actually laughed like a madman when they were 2-0 down and Moyes was readying Cleverly and Welbeck! Still laughing at it now!!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #628: Mar 17, 2014 06:42:54 pm
      I've that one of the United players have a massive go at Moyes and the coaches before storming out of the changing rooms after the match :lmao:

It's not been confirmed as 100% truthful but the idea of it makes me laugh.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #629: Mar 17, 2014 06:44:41 pm
      Actually laughed like a madman when they were 2-0 down and Moyes was readying Cleverly and Welbeck! Still laughing at it now!!
      That image will never be forgotten :lmao:

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #630: Mar 17, 2014 07:35:42 pm
      Let's not gloat as i am sure that Cardiff & Sunderland will pose a much larger test to us than United.
      After all, those are two teams that actually show passion and want to fight for their season whereas United clearly are a spent force.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #631: Mar 17, 2014 07:43:50 pm
      That image will never be forgotten :lmao:

Never mind the A-Team, Cleverly and Welbeck are about!
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #632: Mar 17, 2014 07:46:07 pm
      Great F***ing day! 3-0 away at United & we're having a party!

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #633: Mar 17, 2014 07:50:43 pm
      This "poetry in motion" chant is our best in years. I absolutely love it; the rythm but also the beauty of calling this team 'poetry in motion' - because that's exactly what it is for anyone who loves attacking football.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #634: Mar 17, 2014 07:56:05 pm
      This "poetry in motion" chant is our best in years. I absolutely love it; the rythm but also the beauty of calling this team 'poetry in motion' - because that's exactly what it is for anyone who loves attacking football.

I love it too. Am I right in saying it came about away to City this year? it's when I first really noticed it. Love your sig too bud! I have a similar one as my laptop background :)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #635: Mar 17, 2014 08:10:20 pm
      I love it too. Am I right in saying it came about away to City this year? it's when I first really noticed it. Love your sig too bud! I have a similar one as my laptop background :)

It's a very old chant from our title winning days but it was when our Academy lads visited Malaysia/Indonesia for a youth tournament earlier in the season that it was brought back to life by our amazing fans out there.

If you watched any of the games our fans were absolutely amazing, something like 30,000 turned up for every game and the tournament was watched by over 100,000,000 on tv in Asia which for an u14's tournament is just unbelievable.

It brings back some good memories for us oldies listening to it being sung week in week out again  ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #636: Mar 17, 2014 08:11:40 pm
      It's a very old chant from our title winning days but it was when our Academy lads visited Malaysia/Indonesia for a youth tournament earlier in the season that it was brought back to life by our amazing fans out there.

If you watched any of the games our fans were absolutely amazing, something like 30,000 turned up for every game and the tournament was watched by over 100,000,000 on tv in Asia which for an u14's tournament is just unbelievable.

It brings back some good memories for us oldies listening to it being sung week in week out again  ;D

So it was actually brought back by Asian fans? That's very nice, I had no idea.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #637: Mar 17, 2014 08:18:15 pm
      So it was actually brought back by Asian fans? That's very nice, I had no idea.

It was Diego.  Watching that tournament the fans turned out in their thousands and I reckon they'd been practicing all the back catalogue 'cos they were singing songs/chants I hadn't heard for decades. 

It was quite wonderful to hear for an oldie and I'm so glad it's caught on again  ;D

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #638: Mar 17, 2014 08:28:42 pm

Never knew that, thanks for sharing. It's probably my favourite in a long, long time too. Sounds so original which makes it better!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #639: Mar 17, 2014 08:35:11 pm
      Never knew that, thanks for sharing. It's probably my favourite in a long, long time too. Sounds so original which makes it better!

Mine too  ;D
      petergriffin8316
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #640: Mar 17, 2014 09:27:03 pm
      Note: I'm a Massachusetts college student who has had this fixture on my mind since our win over Southampton. As a recreational writer, I decided to chronicle my thoughts during yesterday's game—mostly as an excuse to re-live our wonderful triumph. :) Hope you enjoy.

I woke up the morning of the game surprisingly calm. After being incredibly nervous for the preceding two days, and having a bad gut feeling that we were going to lose due to some fluke decision or incident, I somehow felt relaxed. I guess the sense of anticipation had worn off; the day was finally here.

Though I set my alarm for 9:20 a.m. E.S.T., 10 minutes before kick-off, I was wide-awake at 7:30. Though my gut feeling was that we would score first and undeservedly lose 2-1, my logical brain—for the first time ever—felt practical in predicting a 3-1 win for Liverpool.

From my perspective, there was a lot more riding on this game than the three points. Our league form and position suggested that we would have a great chance. However, despite United’s underachievement at home this season, I knew that coming to Old Trafford wouldn’t be easy—they’d be up for this game. What’s more, I knew that a win for United would reduce the gap to eight points, and, however unlikely, have the potential to provide them with motivation to go on a run and beat us to fourth place. In fact, I would have taken a draw if offered one before kick-off—an 11-point gap with nine games left would be much better for us than an eight-point gap with a loss to United. However, given the history of this fixture, I didn’t think a draw would be likely; I figured it was win or bust. Indeed, I was nervous.

Though I knew that the starting lineups wouldn’t be released until an hour before kick-off. I continued to refresh my Twitter account every couple of minutes. Though she knew how much this game meant to me, my girlfriend looked at me like I was nuts. I tried to explain to her the general gist of the game and what it meant, before telling her “If we win, I’ll tell you; if not, don’t ask.” She nodded her head.

The teams came out. Though I initially questioned the selection of Allen, I trust Brendan, and I was glad that he decided to play the diamond to exploit their weakness in midfield. Though United’s front four of Mata, Januzaj, Rooney and van Persie is, on paper, intimidating, I figured that this would leave lots of space for us to exploit in the middle of the park. Additionally, given United’s attacking line-up with little midfield solidity, I figured that we would be able to rip them apart on the counter. In conclusion, I figured we would win the midfield battle easily and hope to hit them on the counter.

The game started, and though United kept hold of the ball for the opening minute, we started to create chances. Sturridge got in behind Jones and flashed a shot wide on his weak foot. I was almost relieved he didn’t score; though a goal is a goal, I figured the first five minutes were too early for us to score. I would rather bag a goal when the pattern of the game was truly established.

However, had we been given a penalty for the fifth-minute Fellaini challenge on Suarez, I wouldn’t have cared. Either way, I still had the bad feeling that United were going to score first, either from our own misfortune or a moment of brilliance.

Which is why I felt much better when we were awarded a penalty in the 34th minute. Though it was very clear to me that Rafael handballed inside the area, I wasn’t sure that I would have sent him off, which is why I understood Mark Clattenburg’s decision to not issue him a second yellow. That was beside the point, though; this was a crucial point in the match. If Gerrard scored the penalty, we would have the momentum. If he missed, however, the momentum and let-off on their end could have helped them out.

Given that Stevie had scored all nine Premier League penalties that he had attempted this season, I figured that he was due to miss one. However, I sat in the seat in front of my computer, praying that it wouldn’t be this one. ‘Please just make this one, Stevie,’ I thought. ‘Please.’

I should have known—Gerrard stepped up and hammered the penalty inch-perfect into the right corner, sending David De Gea the wrong way. At that point, I felt a bit more relieved, though I still knew a lot of work was to be done.

Though it was one of their few opportunities of the day, we dodged a major bullet when Mignolet made an instinctive save from a powerful, if central, Rooney effort. A goal just before half-time would have given them major belief, but thankfully we were able to hold out until the break.

Watching Sky Sports, I heard the guys in the studio saying that Liverpool would need to weather the first 15 minutes of the second half. As a result, I figured that when Raheem Sterling kicked off the second half, we would be in for an industrious 15 minutes.
      However, I was stunned when Phil Jones knocked down Joe Allen after just 23 seconds of the second half. I saw the contact, I hear the whistle—another penalty! You're joking!

My brain was divided in two. On the one hand, I knew that, at this point, barring a major collapse, we would leave Old Trafford with at least an 11-point gap. On the other hand, I was sure that this had to be the time that Gerrard would miss his first penalty of the season. ‘You can miss next time,’ I thought, ‘but please, Stevie, I know I said it last time but just make this one.’

I should have known that he would score. While I was sitting there, petrified, Stevie stepped up and banged it into the bottom corner with aplomb. A 2-0 lead within a minute of the re-start was the perfect start to the second half. And when van Persie missed with a header that he would normally score midway through the second half, I felt that United were simply not good enough to threaten us.

When Gerrard stepped up to take the third penalty, which I believe clearly shouldn’t have been a penalty, I was split. On the one hand, I wanted him to score to put the game beyond all doubt, as well as the fact that this would give him his hat-trick. On the other hand, I felt that if he was going to score a hat-trick that he should complete it from open play. My main concern when he hit the post was that United still had the potential bag two late goals. You can blame me and my thoughts for that.

I thought “We still haven’t scored from open play yet! We have to get one from open play!”

Yet when Suarez received Sturridge’s deflected shot and put it in the back of the United net, I assumed he was offside. However, when the 0-2 on the scoreline changed to 0-3 and Suarez was mobbed by his teammates, I realized that he had gotten his 25th of the season, which has been my hope for him since December. I simply processed that the goal had happened, not thinking about the certainty of victory or anything else.

For the few days before the game, I had conditioned myself to believe that we were going to lose. Yet, I had a realization that many others had much earlier to me. “We’re going to win at Old Trafford!” I said, clapping my hands, not even thinking about the impending 14-point gap. Indeed, I wasn’t even scared when Rooney lined up a free-kick in stoppage time, which flew harmlessly over.

The final whistle went, and I clapped my hands as Rob Hawthorne said the final score. We had won a game which—perhaps irrationally—I believed we were destined to lose. We are in with a shout, and I'm excited for the rest of the season.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #641: Mar 17, 2014 09:40:35 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #642: Mar 17, 2014 10:04:37 pm
      Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3: the game in numbers
      The ECHO has dug out nine surprising stats from the Reds’ victory at Old Trafford
      1 - The sum total of shots United managed to get on target. Wayne Rooney was the only home player to trouble Simon Mignolet, with the Reds keeper pushing away a shot from the England man just before half time. Liverpool had seven shots on target.

4 - The number of red cards Nemanja Vidic has picked up in matches against Liverpool. He is the first player in the Premier League era to be sent off four times against the same opponent. Previous reds came in September 2008, March 2009 and October 2009 - all wins for Liverpool.

5 - That’s how many goals Steven Gerrard has scored for Liverpool at Old Trafford, more than any other visiting player has managed at the home of the Red Devils in Premier League history. He fired in a penalty in the 4-1 victory in 2009 and scored twice in 2010.           12 - Liverpool keeper Simon Mignolet completed a dozen successful passes in the game - the same number as United striker Robin van Persie.

15 - The number of red cards shown in Premier League matches between Liverpool and Manchester United. The only Premier League fixture with more dismissals is Liverpool v Everton (20).

16 - The number of times Liverpool have scored three goals (or more) in the league this season.

18 - That’s how many passes Lucas Leiva completed after coming on as an 86th-minute substitute. It was more than the entire United team managed (16) in the time the Brazilian was on the pitch.

21 - The number of points Manchester United have won at home this season - the same as Norwich City.

126 - The number of penalties Liverpool have won in the Premier League era, more than any other team.

Echo

Only just seen this, some great stats in there and some that really do catch the eye. The ones that impressed me the most are the ones that are in bold.

For a home team of their stature to only have 1 shot on target all game is astonishing the say the least and for them to be spend so much time without possession of the ball is ridiculous. I can't believe they had less passes than Lucas alone.

manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #643: Mar 17, 2014 10:15:44 pm
      Only just seen this, some great stats in there and some that really do catch the eye. The ones that impressed me the most are the ones that are in bold.

For a home team of their stature to only have 1 shot on target all game is astonishing the say the least and for them to be spend so much time without possession of the ball is ridiculous. I can't believe they had less passes than Lucas alone.

It's really odd how poor they are this season. They move the ball too slowly and there doesn't seem to be any real pace or urgency. Or indeed any real identity to their game plan or strategy. It's weird.

The likes of Fellaini, Mata, Carrick, RVP and that young lad with the stupid name are all players who like time on the ball, and don't really have much pace, but they aren't playing to their strengths either.

They are a shambles

Quick Reply