Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Pre Match: Liverpool vs Sunderland - Wed 26th March 2014, K.O. 20:00

Read 16593 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool vs Sunderland - Wed 26th March 2014, K.O. 20:00
      Reply #23: Mar 24, 2014 10:16:31 am
      Personally I think we need to change personnel for this game because the change could freshen up the intensity levels back to how they've been previously.
      by that, I mean; we came back and showed tons of character once the players clicked into gear, we were sloppy and lacked shape in the game for me.
      It's great to be saying that and we won 6-3, I am made up we did, but the mix was odd. the shape of our team etc.
      I could just be nitpicking.
      but I wouldn't start with the exact same team. A change can freshen up the desire with players dying to prove their worth and not just expecting to start.
      Lucas in for this game(Allen) and Sakho(Agger) if they are ready for 90 mins that is, if not... start them and sub them instead of vice versa.
      I wouldn't leave Flanagan out.
      I'd start Sterling and bring on Coutinho later, if needs be.

I think we will score a ton of goals and not be so leaky at the back.
      BR won't be happy with being so sloppy in defense.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #24: Mar 24, 2014 10:18:41 am
      Selection is tricky now. Having not been in this position for so long do we know when to freshen? In this way Rodgers is damned if he does damned if he doesn't should we not get the result. Does he roll the dice and freshen up? The problem with that is that it is so tempting just to stick with the tried and tested because we are doing so well and for so long.

The difference I suppose is that we should trust that he will get it right. If he doesn't it'll be sorted by half time.

Even if he goes with Lucas and Sakho in, I still think we will be comfortable.

We are the people's champions, champions elect, lets go and prove it again boys.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #25: Mar 24, 2014 10:54:37 am
      Can someone explain the Gerrard thing please and the booking situation?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,719 posts | 3941 
      Reply #26: Mar 24, 2014 11:09:47 am
      The atmosphere should be F***ing electric for this one.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #27: Mar 24, 2014 11:20:20 am
      Just hoping for another  3 points. Not putting my mortgage on it as this is the sort of game we slipped up in, in the past. Doesn't look so scary this time around, but you never know. Still a worrying time for me. Strongest available team, no complacency. Get it won first.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #28: Mar 24, 2014 11:26:55 am
      No Sakho or Cissosko for me

Flanno & Danny have had better games yeah but so what we won by 3 clear goals AGAIN..

Same again for me please Brendan now & til the end of the season.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #29: Mar 24, 2014 11:42:31 am
      Can someone explain the Gerrard thing please and the booking situation?

It's 5 cards up to the 31st December, 10 up to the 2nd Sunday in April and then 15 until the end of the season.

I believe Stevie is on 9 yellows now

To avoid a ban he has to NOT get booked in the following games;

Sunderland
      Spurs
      West Ham
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #30: Mar 24, 2014 12:08:07 pm
      It's 5 cards up to the 31st December, 10 up to the 2nd Sunday in April and then 15 until the end of the season.

I believe Stevie is on 9 yellows now

To avoid a ban he has to NOT get booked in the following games;

Sunderland
      Spurs
      West Ham

How many games would he miss?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31: Mar 24, 2014 12:15:52 pm
      Regardless of the booking situation I'd rest Gerrard for this one anyway. Two games in a few days is not what he needs at this stage of the season, and having Lucas a bit nearer match fit should we need him to fill in at any point has to be a good idea. We really ought to be able to win this one without the captain, and the booking situation merely adds to the point of letting him sit this one out.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #32: Mar 24, 2014 12:22:04 pm
      Regardless of the booking situation I'd rest Gerrard for this one anyway. Two games in a few days is not what he needs at this stage of the season, and having Lucas a bit nearer match fit should we need him to fill in at any point has to be a good idea. We really ought to be able to win this one without the captain, and the booking situation merely adds to the point of letting him sit this one out.

Valid point. Play 4-3-3, Allen being the DM, SaSaS upfront supported by Hendo and Coutinho
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #33: Mar 24, 2014 12:23:23 pm

"If a player accumulates five cautions between the opening day of the playing season and 31 December in the same season, he will be suspended automatically for one match.

If a player accumulates ten cautions between the opening day of the playing season and the second Sunday of April in the same season, he will be suspended automatically for two matches.

If a player accumulates fifteen cautions between the opening day of the playing season and the last day of the same season, he will be suspended automatically for three matches.
      "

So Stevie has 3 games left to not get a booking and miss 2 matches
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #34: Mar 24, 2014 12:27:13 pm
      "If a player accumulates five cautions between the opening day of the playing season and 31 December in the same season, he will be suspended automatically for one match.

If a player accumulates ten cautions between the opening day of the playing season and the second Sunday of April in the same season, he will be suspended automatically for two matches.

If a player accumulates fifteen cautions between the opening day of the playing season and the last day of the same season, he will be suspended automatically for three matches.
      "

So Stevie has 3 games left to not get a booking and miss 2 matches

Hmmm. Oh dear. That's quite a tall order.

I think perhaps we should look at playing Henderson, Allen and Coutinho, with the latter two more withdrawn, and SSS as the front three vs Sunderland.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #35: Mar 24, 2014 12:47:55 pm
      http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/suspensions

One caution away
      PLAYER           CLUB           CAUTIONS     NEXT FIXTURE
      Steven Gerrard   Liverpool    9             Sunderland A. (26/03/2014)

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #36: Mar 24, 2014 12:50:07 pm

And if he's rested then gets booked against Spurs and West Ham, he misses the City game. There are no matches between now and the end of the season we can afford him not to be playing. Probably one best left in the lap of the footballing gods.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #37: Mar 24, 2014 12:58:26 pm
      Massive game. I am confident we will trash Sunderland. Fans should be laud as hell all match. Team need us and deserve full support!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,639 posts | 3863 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Mar 24, 2014 12:59:40 pm
      I'd like to see the same 11 start and then introduce Sakho, Lucas and Sterling in the second half.
      Wow, check out the options.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #39: Mar 24, 2014 01:04:01 pm
      Hmmm. Oh dear. That's quite a tall order.

I think perhaps we should look at playing Henderson, Allen and Coutinho, with the latter two more withdrawn

Nah he won't do that. Even if he did swap Gerrard out, it would be Lucas that replaced him. But I can't see it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #40: Mar 24, 2014 01:06:29 pm
      Sorry guys Id have to leave Stevie out for this 1. We should have enough about us without him to do this lot and we cant afford to risk him getting a yellow

After that I wouldnt change anything. We should own the ball so be sensible to have a bal playing centre half like Danny in there. Flanno was poor Saturday but had been outstanding to that point no way would I leave him out. Ideally have these beaten by half time to get Luis and Sturridge rest before Sunday. In saying that Id take a 1 nil now, but we dont do 1 nils do we :)

Mignolet, Johnson Skrtel Agger Flanno, Hendo Lucas Allen, Sterling Sturridge Suarez: Bench: Gerrard Sakho Coutinho Aspas Cissokho Moses Jones
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #41: Mar 24, 2014 01:10:34 pm
      I get what you mean Brian, but that would be a safe option. When have you known Rodgers to take a safe option. Can't see it happening. He may take him off after so long, but can't see him missing all three games.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #42: Mar 24, 2014 01:14:39 pm
      Gerrard should start and if things are going really well rest him around the 60min mark. Interpreting the booking issues, I don't think I'd be averse against him picking a yellow up against Sunderland. For sure it will make the Spurs game much tougher but we're at home there and I think we should still have enough to beat them, West Ham to - fvcking hate tempting fate like this  :mad:. At least, he'll (Gerrard) be fresh for Citeh, a little bonus from a negative scenario. Ideally, Gerrard could get booked in the first half against Sunderland, so Lucas can come on for 45mins in the second half to get 'up to speed' a bit for the game against Spurs. Lucas, Allen and Henderson crushed Spurs at WHL a result I bet they are desperate to rectify.

One change if any that I'd make - Sahko in for Agger. Other than that, I'd keep the same team.

We're THE form team in the league at the moment, this is a must win game (obviously) and I'm optimistic the lads can keep this form up.
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2014 01:25:46 pm by Beerbelly »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43: Mar 24, 2014 01:15:22 pm
      I get what you mean Brian, but that would be a safe option. When have you known Rodgers to take a safe option. Can't see it happening. He may take him off after so long, but can't see him missing all three games.

I dont know I think we could do Sunderland and even Spurs at home without him. West ham looked a bit of a shambles the weekend so maybe them to. We wont do city or Chelsea without him and thats why I wouldnt risk him. You cant tell Stevie to take it easy dont tackle, its in his dna,3 games to get 1 yellow! It will happen.

But thats only my view Im sure the gaffer will start him 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #44: Mar 24, 2014 01:18:21 pm
      Just play your best available. Play Gerrard, if he gets a ban, then he gets a ban and the next game, play your best available. We need to win every game, no use to look ahead at this point in my mind.

Now if the game is in hand, I see no reason to not haul him off, that would only be prudent.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #45: Mar 24, 2014 01:19:19 pm
      No I agree mate with everything. It's yet another tricky decision that Rodgers just seems to have taken in his stride all season. I think again the difference is that I trust him to make the right decision. If Stevie gets booked and misses both the big games, it would be just like us this year to win both without him.

Quick Reply