Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite

Read 44937 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: Who would you like to sign now that we are back amongst Europe's elite
      Reply #391: Jul 12, 2014 04:08:44 pm
      Oh f**k off. It's f**king early July.

How about you back to the bluemoon forum?

Early July or not, there is no denying that those we have been linked with are underwhelming. I'm not the only one who shares those thoughts
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #392: Jul 12, 2014 04:09:29 pm
      Sami Khedeira, reckon he'd be a good addition to the midfield.

Latest rumors have Arsenal and Chelsea both in for Khedira. If he goes to Arsenal, they'll look scarily legit.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #393: Jul 12, 2014 04:24:21 pm
      This window is really starting to depress me. If you look at our signings, and you look at who we're being linked with and they're hardly players to strike fear in to the hearts of our competitors. Not one of the players signed so far is better than a player who was playing in the team last season.

We are looking exactly like an Aston Villa or Everton getting a wad of cash for our best player and then spending it on bang average players from Southampton or Swansea because we can't attract top class players from top class clubs.

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #394: Jul 12, 2014 04:28:02 pm
      We are looking exactly like an Aston Villa or Everton getting a wad of cash for our best player and then spending it on bang average players from Southampton or Swansea because we can't attract top class players from top class clubs.

And why can't we attract top class players from top class clubs?
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #395: Jul 12, 2014 04:28:32 pm
      And why can't we attract top class players from top class clubs?

Either transfer fee or wages.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #396: Jul 12, 2014 04:28:43 pm
      Oh f**k off. It's f**king early July.

Granted it's early July and there's still time to sign good players but you need to look at the transfer gossip pages and compare who Liverpool is being linked to, against who all the other top teams are being linked to. That's the worry, not the fact we haven't actually signed someone yet. All the players we're being linked to are ordinary, would join us even if we didn't have Champion's league football and, for the most part, aren't any better than we already have and certainly have no experience of title challenges or in the Champion's league whatsoever.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #397: Jul 12, 2014 04:29:48 pm

But we were paying Luis 200k/week and had matched Arsenals bid on Sanchez and would probably have gone more.

What gives?
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #398: Jul 12, 2014 04:31:55 pm
      But we were paying Luis 200k/week and had matched Arsenals bid on Sanchez and would probably have gone more.

What gives?

Money talks. Top players even go to Russia if the money is good enough.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #399: Jul 12, 2014 04:38:38 pm

Friend that is one of the biggest bullshit answers I have ever heard on this board.

So now because we don't spend like Monaco/PSG/Chelsea we lack ambition?

because we can't attract top class players from top class clubs.

When I think top class clubs I think.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletico

Bayern, Dortmund

PSG,  Monaco

Juventus, AC Milan, Inter.

Man City, Chelsea

Now think of the top players at these top clubs and explain to me why their clubs would let them go in the first place and secondly why they would flock to us after losing one of the best players in the world.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #400: Jul 12, 2014 04:42:06 pm

There is Bayern 2013/2014 wages

Manuel Neuer   27   Â£105,000   2016
      Tom Starke   32   Â£35,000   2015
      Lukas Raeder   19      2014
      Dante   29   Â£80,000   2016
      Daniel van Buyten   25   Â£50,000   2014
      Jan Kirchhoff   22      2016
      Jérôme Boateng   24   Â£70,000   2015
      Holger Badstuber   24   Â£65,000   2017
      Diego Contento   23   Â£18,000   2016
      David Alaba   21   Â£40,000   2015
      Rafinha   27   Â£60,000   2014
      Philipp Lahm   29   Â£120,000   2016
      Javi Martínez   24   Â£75,000   2017
      Luiz Gustavo   26   Â£50,000   2015
      Thiago Alcántara   22      2017
      Bastian Schweinsteiger   29   Â£135,000   2016
      Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg   18      2014
      Mario Götze   21   Â£115,000   2017
      Toni Kroos   23   Â£65,000   2015
      Franck Ribéry   30   Â£165,000   2017
      Arjen Robben   29   Â£165,000   2015
      Xherdan Shaqiri   21   Â£40,000   2016
      Mitchell Weiser   19      2016
      Thomas Müller   23   Â£85,000   2017
      Patrick Weihrauch   19      2014
      Mario Mandzukic   27   Â£60,000   2016
      Claudio Pizarro   34   Â£80,000   2014
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #401: Jul 12, 2014 04:42:34 pm
      When I think top class clubs I think.Barcelona, Real Madrid, AthleticoBayren, DortmundPSG,  MonacoJuventus, AC Milan, Inter.Man City, Chelsea

When I think of top class clubs I think LIVERPOOL

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #402: Jul 12, 2014 04:44:02 pm
      When I think of top class clubs I think LIVERPOOL

Yes Saint, however we were speaking of clubs that Liverpool could get players from, did not think we could transfer players to ourselves.

Unless Ian has a new way of doing things.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #403: Jul 12, 2014 04:46:18 pm
      Friend that is one of the biggest bullshit answers I have ever heard on this board.

So now because we don't spend like Monaco/PSG/Chelsea we lack ambition?

Now think of the top players at these top clubs and explain to me why their clubs would let them go in the first place and secondly why they would flock to us after losing one of the best players in the world.

Who said we had to spend like Man City or PSG? The simple fact is if you struggle to attract top players then you need to increase your financial offer to the player and he'll invariably see things differently. No one is asking for 11 world class players on huge wages; but we are f**king entitled to expect one.

Do you think Falcao went to Monaco for the huge crowds in the stadium? :o

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #404: Jul 12, 2014 04:53:59 pm

Do you think Falcao went to Monaco for the huge crowds in the stadium?

And do you think Liverpool FC is going to fork out a 60 million for a Falcao and pay him 250k/week?

These owners will never ever not in a million years do any sort of deal like that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #405: Jul 12, 2014 04:57:37 pm
      Yes Saint, however we were speaking of clubs that Liverpool could get players from, did not think we could transfer players to ourselves.

Unless Ian has a new way of doing things.

The point is mate that top class teams have top class players. Sadly for the first time I can remember, we don't have one really top class or World class player. We have Gerrard who is now past his best, Sterling and Coutinho who could become top class and a lot of very good players but not one who would make the top 50 in the world?

Yet you look at some of the lesser clubs you listed and they DO.  Either we accept that we can no longer compete with the other so called top teams for players or we find a way to attract them.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #406: Jul 12, 2014 04:58:38 pm

And do you think Liverpool FC is going to fork out a 60 million for a Falcao and pay him 250k/week?

These owners will never ever not in a million years do any sort of deal like that.

If it were up to me, I'd rather pay a Falcao £250 grand a week and pay £60m than buy Lallana, Bony and Markovic for the same £60m and pay them £70-80 grand a week.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #407: Jul 12, 2014 05:01:43 pm
      If it were up to me, I'd rather pay a Falcao £250 grand a week and pay £60m than buy Lallana, Bony and Markovic for the same £60m and pay them £70-80 grand a week.

Well friend I can assure you that until you can find a buyer or force FSG out of the club you will be supremely disappointed for many many years to come if that is the way you want to see business done.

Enjoy banging your head against the wall.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #408: Jul 12, 2014 05:03:53 pm
      The point is mate that top class teams have top class players. Sadly for the first time I can remember, we don't have one really top class or World class player. We have Gerrard who is now past his best, Sterling and Coutinho who could become top class and a lot of very good players but not one who would make the top 50 in the world?

Yet you look at some of the lesser clubs you listed and they DO.  Either we accept that we can no longer compete with the other so called top teams for players or we find a way to attract them.

Saint, did we go out a buy those world class players?

or

did we make them world class players?

Was Kenny, Rushie, Torres, Suarez, Gerrard, Barnes, Fowler...etc..etc..etc.. purchased or brought in after they had become "world class".

As you said Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge, and dare I say the potential to be Markovic?

If Suarez was the same player when we bought him as he is today then Barca would had bought him already..he was on the cusp but he was no world class player, and at the time we bought him Torres was no longer a world class player..all we had was Gerrard....so you see you have seen it before.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #409: Jul 12, 2014 05:09:31 pm
      Well friend I can assure you that until you can find a buyer or force FSG out of the club you will be supremely disappointed for many many years to come if that is the way you want to see business done.

We got over £70m for Saurez and were paying him over £200 grand a week. So, logically, why would it be such a big deal to simply put that £70m on Falcao and pay him Suarez's wages with a little on top?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #410: Jul 12, 2014 05:11:21 pm
      Interesting you should raise that point mate, as I (and others) question the efficacy of FSG's wage structure, or if you prefer, the highly incentivised contracts they are said to offer.

If I take this to its natural conclusion, the argument could be put forth that Sanchez believes he is worth X amount per week regardless of the effort he puts in or how the team does, which doesn't sit well with me.

It's not just us with incentivised contracts,  wish I could recall where I read it, but both Manchester teams and Spurs were said to be implementing similar contracts, with rumours that Rooney, despite his new contract, didn't see much of his bumper pay rise due to  their poor performance.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #411: Jul 12, 2014 05:13:14 pm

There has to be a middle ground, mate. Google "LFC transfer rumours" or any other similar search string and what do we get? Loic Remy, Wilfried Bony, Ben Davies...is Remy or Bony better than Sturridge? Is Davies better than Enrique? These aren't players who will take us to the next level as a club, they're an entire level below us. This isn't the way to improve your squad; to improve your squad you bring in better players than the players you already have and relegate those players to squad rotation rather than automatic first choice.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #412: Jul 12, 2014 05:14:16 pm
      We got over £70m for Saurez and were paying him over £200 grand a week. So, logically, why would it be such a big deal to simply put that £70m on Falcao and pay him Suarez's wages with a little on top?

We paid 23 million for him at the age of 23 with a massive potential for growth and resale, it was a no-lose transfer.

Falcao is 27 years old costs 3x more and will have very little value at the end.

FSG does not play Fifa 2014 with an unlimited budget Barnes, that is not the way the operate and you should know that already after 4 years of ownership.

Lower risk/Higher reward...a Sanchez checked all the boxes...a Markovic checks all the boxes....a Falcao would be considered a high cost, quick fix to FSG.

Your logic does not compute...sorry.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #413: Jul 12, 2014 05:15:20 pm
      From what I've seen of Davies, he would be an improvement on Enrique, but then I don't rate José.

Quick Reply